[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 197480 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #325 on: September 30, 2019, 01:49:12 PM »
Benny is flying into San Diego on Thursday evening for a Friday morning meeting. 

Benny flies AAL and is looking at return flight options on Friday afternoon that connect through LAX.

Benny is a Brewer fan and knows there's a possibility that the Brewers will be playing in LA on Friday evening.

Ideally, Benny would like to take an afternoon flight into LAX, throw his duffel bag in a locker, Uber over to Dodger Stadium for a few hours, Uber back to LAX, and take the red-eye back to ORD in time for his daughter's volleyball game on Saturday. 

However, if the Brewers don't advance to the NLDS (or they do but it's an afternoon game), Benny would like to take an earlier flight in order to get into ORD Friday evening.

Benny has status with AAL so can standby for earlier flights or do a same-day flight change (based on availability) for $75.

Benny knows that AAL allows a maximum connection time of 4 hours.

Accordingly, Benny the following options:

1) Book SAN-LAX and LAX-ORD as separate tickets.  Pros: Pricing is roughly the same, flexibility to move one flight without having to adjust the other.  Cons: If the first flight is delayed, AAL has no liability if the second flight is missed (likely only a problem if there's no Brewer game in LA); while not explicitly prohibited, may be a violation of the Carriage Rules which says: "Reservations made to exploit or circumvent fare and ticket rules are strictly prohibited."

2) Book return LAX-ORD.  Rent car in SAN and drive to LA Friday afternoon.  Pros: No rules violations.  Maximum flexibility on LAX-ORD flight.  Could leave San Diego a little later afternoon (and minimize downtime in LA).  Cons: Driving from San Diego to LA; could miss earlier flight out of LAX (i.e. if no Brewer game that evening) if traffic is bad.

3) Book one ticket through SAN-LAX-ORD.  Pros: Easiest to book.  A little cheaper.  Peace of mind if first flight is delayed.  Cons: Can you standby or change just one leg of connecting flights?

4) Don't book anything until tomorrow night.  This is actually what I'm going to do, but just out of curiosity has anyone ever done a "same-day flight change" on AAL only on the second leg of a connecting flight -or- fly standby on the first leg of that arrives >4 hours before the second flight
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #326 on: September 30, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »
If you're flying for work then just fly into San Diego and fly home from LAX.  Pick up car rental in San Diego and return it at LAX.  I do all the time.  You have to fit your schedule.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #327 on: September 30, 2019, 06:10:51 PM »
I don’t know AAL’s change process, but on United I can change any leg all the time for $0 (I’m 1K though on United). As an example, to get segments to keep my status, I’ll go to Austin from ORD. 24 hours before my return flight home, instead of going AUS-ORD, I’ll go AUS-HOU-ORD. If I want to keep AUS-ORD, and there’s availability, I can go later if I want. I’d imagine since LAX has more availability than an SAN flight, you’d be fine.

That being said, I’d go with #3 as my first option and #1 as my second option. I’d see how things shake out with the Brew Crew, and then if needed, adjust the LAX-ORD leg to the red eye. I can’t imagine AA disallowing that. You also should have 24 hours after booking to change as needed.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #328 on: October 01, 2019, 04:32:59 AM »
Benny is flying into San Diego on Thursday evening for a Friday morning meeting. 

Benny flies AAL and is looking at return flight options on Friday afternoon that connect through LAX.

Benny is a Brewer fan and knows there's a possibility that the Brewers will be playing in LA on Friday evening.

Ideally, Benny would like to take an afternoon flight into LAX, throw his duffel bag in a locker, Uber over to Dodger Stadium for a few hours, Uber back to LAX, and take the red-eye back to ORD in time for his daughter's volleyball game on Saturday. 

However, if the Brewers don't advance to the NLDS (or they do but it's an afternoon game), Benny would like to take an earlier flight in order to get into ORD Friday evening.

Benny has status with AAL so can standby for earlier flights or do a same-day flight change (based on availability) for $75.

Benny knows that AAL allows a maximum connection time of 4 hours.

Accordingly, Benny the following options:

1) Book SAN-LAX and LAX-ORD as separate tickets.  Pros: Pricing is roughly the same, flexibility to move one flight without having to adjust the other.  Cons: If the first flight is delayed, AAL has no liability if the second flight is missed (likely only a problem if there's no Brewer game in LA); while not explicitly prohibited, may be a violation of the Carriage Rules which says: "Reservations made to exploit or circumvent fare and ticket rules are strictly prohibited."

2) Book return LAX-ORD.  Rent car in SAN and drive to LA Friday afternoon.  Pros: No rules violations.  Maximum flexibility on LAX-ORD flight.  Could leave San Diego a little later afternoon (and minimize downtime in LA).  Cons: Driving from San Diego to LA; could miss earlier flight out of LAX (i.e. if no Brewer game that evening) if traffic is bad.

3) Book one ticket through SAN-LAX-ORD.  Pros: Easiest to book.  A little cheaper.  Peace of mind if first flight is delayed.  Cons: Can you standby or change just one leg of connecting flights?

4) Don't book anything until tomorrow night.  This is actually what I'm going to do, but just out of curiosity has anyone ever done a "same-day flight change" on AAL only on the second leg of a connecting flight -or- fly standby on the first leg of that arrives >4 hours before the second flight

Has Brother Benny ever driven in Los Angeles traffic? The 405 at that time of day is a nightmare only surpassed by the 5.

Assuming Brother Benny is in Downtown San Diego, the trip to Dodger Stadium should take between 90 and 120 minutes sans traffic. But, that's a fantasy except after 10:00 p.m. Plan up to six hours to get to Dodger Stadium depending on time of day. And, there is NO mass transit!

If the Benster is planning on a 7:00 p.m. start, the game will be over by 10:30 p.m., assuming no extra innings. The bank of flights from LAX to ORD that would get Brother Benny to the volleyball game would leave around midnight. Assuming 2.5 hours to get from Dodger Stadium (Pasadena Freeway -- Cal 110 at Elysian Fields) down to the Harbor Freeway to the 105, return a rental car and clear security at LAX Terminal 5 and Brother Benny is pushing it in the extreme. More likely, Brother Benny is sleeping in chairs at LAX.

Uber probably takes 45 minutes less, but you lose that benefit at Dodger Stadium when you are competing late at night for the Ubers operating in LA at that time.

The morning bank leaves beginning between 5:30 a.m., and 6:00 a.m., and would arrive in Chicago around noon. Assuming an hour connecting time for a flight to Milwaukee and a 30 minutes actual flight, Brother Benny better hope the volleyball game does not start before 2:30 p.m.

P.S.— Benny, I travel to LA quite a bit on business and have entertained various versions of your great adventure — even when the Cardinals were in town. The logistics are a nightmare in SoCal. Also, have you priced Dodger tickets?

You are better off waiting until they return to Milwaukee!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 07:51:36 AM by dgies9156 »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #329 on: October 01, 2019, 03:21:18 PM »
Has Brother Benny ever driven in Los Angeles traffic? The 405 at that time of day is a nightmare only surpassed by the 5.

Assuming Brother Benny is in Downtown San Diego, the trip to Dodger Stadium should take between 90 and 120 minutes sans traffic. But, that's a fantasy except after 10:00 p.m. Plan up to six hours to get to Dodger Stadium depending on time of day. And, there is NO mass transit!

If the Benster is planning on a 7:00 p.m. start, the game will be over by 10:30 p.m., assuming no extra innings. The bank of flights from LAX to ORD that would get Brother Benny to the volleyball game would leave around midnight. Assuming 2.5 hours to get from Dodger Stadium (Pasadena Freeway -- Cal 110 at Elysian Fields) down to the Harbor Freeway to the 105, return a rental car and clear security at LAX Terminal 5 and Brother Benny is pushing it in the extreme. More likely, Brother Benny is sleeping in chairs at LAX.

Uber probably takes 45 minutes less, but you lose that benefit at Dodger Stadium when you are competing late at night for the Ubers operating in LA at that time.

The morning bank leaves beginning between 5:30 a.m., and 6:00 a.m., and would arrive in Chicago around noon. Assuming an hour connecting time for a flight to Milwaukee and a 30 minutes actual flight, Brother Benny better hope the volleyball game does not start before 2:30 p.m.

P.S.— Benny, I travel to LA quite a bit on business and have entertained various versions of your great adventure — even when the Cardinals were in town. The logistics are a nightmare in SoCal. Also, have you priced Dodger tickets?

Despite the facade, rest assured that Benny's no idiot (although, Benny is asking Scoop for travel advice, so maybe Benny is a few french fries short of a Happy Meal).

Yes, I have driven in SoCal.  Twice.  Once involved a late-morning drive from LAX to Ventura and back home that afternoon via Hope International.  The other time was landing SNA at 9:15a, driving to Carlsbad, and having my 4:45 SAN-PHX-ORD flight (via PHX) cancelled while I was at lunch... so I calmly finished my meal and headed for LAX; I drove by the San Pechugas nuke station at 2:30 (which I know from the timestamp, because of course I took a picture), which means I left Carlsbad around 2:00, and still made it in plenty of time for my 6:15 flight back to ORD (incidentally, arriving at roughly the same time as my original PHX-ORD would have).

Yes, I've already priced tickets... a little over $200 gets me 20 rows from the Visitor's dugout.  But I would hope that a combination of my a) needing just a single ticket and b) willingness to wait until last minute to buy will provide an opportunity to get into the stadium at a bargain price... at least by LA standards, which roughly translates to "not-sure-if-I-did-or-didn't-get-ripped-off" in Milwaukee.

But it occurred to me that it's not flight schedules or ticket prices that are going to make/break my plans.... Are there even lockers at LAX?  I know some airports have done away with them, and Dodger Stadium most assuredly isn't going to let me inside the stadium with a duffel bag, especially after that debacle their counterpart across town had several years ago with the Queen.

Of course I already have tickets for Game 3 back home... I figured I'd try to catch 2 NLDS games this year since after Sunday's game, there won't be baseball in Milwaukee for another 8 days.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #330 on: October 01, 2019, 04:34:39 PM »
I've never seen lockers at LAX, and I did a quick google search to confirm and looks like there are not any. My two cents advice would be to find a hotel at LAX and ask if you can store your bags, I'm sure for a sawbuck someone would take your bags, and you'd be good to go. I think for one ticket, you'll end up getting a good deal.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #331 on: October 01, 2019, 05:33:01 PM »
Despite the facade, rest assured that Benny's no idiot (although, Benny is asking Scoop for travel advice, so maybe Benny is a few french fries short of a Happy Meal).

Yes, I have driven in SoCal.  Twice.  Once involved a late-morning drive from LAX to Ventura and back home that afternoon via Hope International.  The other time was landing SNA at 9:15a, driving to Carlsbad, and having my 4:45 SAN-PHX-ORD flight (via PHX) cancelled while I was at lunch... so I calmly finished my meal and headed for LAX; I drove by the San Pechugas nuke station at 2:30 (which I know from the timestamp, because of course I took a picture), which means I left Carlsbad around 2:00, and still made it in plenty of time for my 6:15 flight back to ORD (incidentally, arriving at roughly the same time as my original PHX-ORD would have).

Yes, I've already priced tickets... a little over $200 gets me 20 rows from the Visitor's dugout.  But I would hope that a combination of my a) needing just a single ticket and b) willingness to wait until last minute to buy will provide an opportunity to get into the stadium at a bargain price... at least by LA standards, which roughly translates to "not-sure-if-I-did-or-didn't-get-ripped-off" in Milwaukee.

But it occurred to me that it's not flight schedules or ticket prices that are going to make/break my plans.... Are there even lockers at LAX?  I know some airports have done away with them, and Dodger Stadium most assuredly isn't going to let me inside the stadium with a duffel bag, especially after that debacle their counterpart across town had several years ago with the Queen.

Of course I already have tickets for Game 3 back home... I figured I'd try to catch 2 NLDS games this year since after Sunday's game, there won't be baseball in Milwaukee for another 8 days.

Why not just check your bag Brother B?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #332 on: October 01, 2019, 05:55:59 PM »
Brother Benjamin

Assuming the Brewers play Friday, here is you solution. You can pay me later!

1) When you finish your meeting, go to the Amtrak station and catch a San Diegan from SD to LAUPT. That’s about 3 miles from Dodger Stadium and no traffic worries.

2) there should be lockers at LAUPT.

3) Assuming the game is timed for the east coast, it should start by 5 pm so be in LA by 3, check your bag and enjoy the game.

4) After the game, get an Uber and pick your bag up at LAUPT on the way to the airport.

5) In case if no locker, see Dish’s idea. Smart one and the Westin, Marriott and several other hotels are nearby

Go Brewers!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #333 on: October 01, 2019, 09:09:36 PM »
The obligatory pining of Scoop for travel info.  I literally have a round the world business trip coming up the end of the month to visit several customers and a sister manufacturing plant.

• 12 hour layover in Seoul where I've already booked a Transit Tour.  Special tours from Incheon to nearby places and you supposedly get to skip security on the return to airport.
  • Kuala Lumpur - Just overnight on my way to......
  • Penang, Malaysia
  • Singapore
  • Bangalore, India

I've got flights and hotels booked and most of the transportation worked out. 
I'm vaccinated up. 
I will bring my running shoes.
I was reading that Uber is big in Banagalore.  I booked hotels walking distance to downtown sites or near metro stops.
Any thoughts on how much cash to bring for each country for gift shopping, cabs, dinners? 
Good gift shopping location for wife and kids?
Typical gift types? I read orchid jewelry from Singapore for example. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #334 on: October 01, 2019, 09:36:10 PM »
The obligatory pining of Scoop for travel info.  I literally have a round the world business trip coming up the end of the month to visit several customers and a sister manufacturing plant.

• 12 hour layover in Seoul where I've already booked a Transit Tour.  Special tours from Incheon to nearby places and you supposedly get to skip security on the return to airport.
  • Penang, Malaysia
  • Singapore
  • Bangalore, India

I'm vaccinated up. 
I was reading that Uber is big in Banagalore.  I booked hotels walking distance to downtown sites or near metro stops.
Any thoughts on how much cash to bring for each country for gift shopping, cabs, dinners? 

I don’t have any good advice for you other than have a great time and be safe, even though it’s a work trip, that’s an awesome itinerary. Very impressed.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #335 on: October 01, 2019, 09:52:36 PM »

• Penang, Malaysia
  • Singapore
  • Bangalore, India

I'm vaccinated up. 

Get a Schwab Investment Checking Account. Comes with a global ATM card which pays you back for all your fees. Best way to get cash. Seoul has great food. Not quite the sites of say Tokyo, Beijing or Shanghai. But a great city. you could always go to the Goose Island Brewhouse. They have an in house steak aging program. It's pretty sweet.

That's all I got. Have fun. Trust your business associates on places to go eat. If you see a long line of locals it's probably good. Bring Cipro just in case you get some stomach uh ohs.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #336 on: October 01, 2019, 10:48:03 PM »
Get a Schwab Investment Checking Account. Comes with a global ATM card which pays you back for all your fees. Best way to get cash.

Beat me to it.  Best advice there is for international travel. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #337 on: October 01, 2019, 11:08:01 PM »
Benny -- feel bad for you tonight. Thought the Brewers played well and was sad to Washington come up big late.

Fortunately, our season is just around the corner to soothe any wounds.

Love the Brewers effort. Team reflects the best of baseball. Craig Counsell is Manager of the Year.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #338 on: October 01, 2019, 11:09:26 PM »
I don't understand the opportunity for a contract airline to fly spoke service between Milwaukee, Grand Rapids (23 minutes flying time), Omaha and any other regional sub-market. The only thing that might make sense is Milwaukee to Dallas, Denver, Seattle, New York or Florida.

Keep in mind that MKE is a different airport with different service than 10-20+ years ago when Midwest Express filled that gap. All of these markets now see mainline service from major carriers with decent FF programs — which means the only thing the new airline could compete on in these markets would be price.

The CVG/GRR/OMA plan is pretty strategic. There’s some business demand each way, and anyone in MKE heading to those markets is either looking at an ugly, expensive connection, a drive to ORD to catch a United Express flight, or in the case of CVG or GRR, a drive through Chicago traffic hell — and there is a premium to be commanded for nonstop service.

So initially promising. If there’s a critique I just don’t see the endgame. You can only pick and choose your way through so many markets that don’t have nonstop competition and can drive enough demand. What’s left? IND? PIT? AUS? Expansion gets tough pursuing this approach for the long term.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #339 on: October 02, 2019, 09:59:03 AM »

• Penang, Malaysia
  • Singapore
  • Bangalore, India

I'm vaccinated up. 

Thats an awesome route, unfortunately you're ending in Bangalore instead of Seoul or Singapore.

Uber in India is a game changer.  Extremely inexpensive, cuts through a lot of the BS.  As someone who has traveled to India a dozen times, Id caution against the Metro.  Just unpleasant, uncomfortably crowded and unhygienic, and will add nothing to your visit.  You can use Ubers all day for practically nothing.   Ill take 2-3 Ubers a day in Mumbai, stuck in traffic on 45-1 hour long trips...and still combine multiple days into a single expense line item under $25.

Singapore is incredible.  Make sure you go up to the Marina Bay Sands, get a drink at either Spago or Lavo.  Views are absolutely stunning and surreal.  Also walk around the Marina Bay mall.  Gorgeous and upscale.  Speaking of malls, the Jewel I can't recommend highly enough.  Beautiful from the outside, inside its a combination upscale mall and botanical garden.  Absolutely stunning interior with tons of amazing vegetation.  Felt like the best zoo exhibit I'd see...without the animals.

KL is supposed to be great too.  Enjoy!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #340 on: October 02, 2019, 11:23:56 AM »
Thats an awesome route, unfortunately you're ending in Bangalore instead of Seoul or Singapore.

Uber in India is a game changer.  Extremely inexpensive, cuts through a lot of the BS.  As someone who has traveled to India a dozen times, Id caution against the Metro.  Just unpleasant, uncomfortably crowded and unhygienic, and will add nothing to your visit.  You can use Ubers all day for practically nothing.   Ill take 2-3 Ubers a day in Mumbai, stuck in traffic on 45-1 hour long trips...and still combine multiple days into a single expense line item under $25.

Singapore is incredible.  Make sure you go up to the Marina Bay Sands, get a drink at either Spago or Lavo.  Views are absolutely stunning and surreal.  Also walk around the Marina Bay mall.  Gorgeous and upscale.  Speaking of malls, the Jewel I can't recommend highly enough.  Beautiful from the outside, inside its a combination upscale mall and botanical garden.  Absolutely stunning interior with tons of amazing vegetation.  Felt like the best zoo exhibit I'd see...without the animals.

KL is supposed to be great too.  Enjoy!

Thanks for the feedback.
Most of my recent travel has been domestic or Europe and I have not been to Asia in over 10+ years and a I figured some things have changed.
I will look into the Schwab Investment Checking Account.  I've been ordering cash online through Travelex before trips and they take back your surplus after your trip.

Bangalore was my planned first stop (because I wanted to knock it out first) and my customer informed me the preceding Monday & Tuesday was a national holiday and the factory would be closed so I had to put on the tail end else I would have an extra day in Singapore.

Reading up on Bangalore it said it's the best first place to visit in India because it's cleaner, less hot, and less congested than most of India.  Don't know if it's true.  Same article mentioned the metro was clean and just opened like 2 years ago.  But cheap Uber works for me. 

And there is nothing like staying at a Conrad Hotel for the same price as the Hampton Inn in Downtown Milwaukee.  (It's all about the points.)

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #341 on: October 02, 2019, 12:33:44 PM »
A good flight crew makes such a big difference, especially when travelling with wife/kids. I'm on a flight to Denver right now on a 777 from ORD, gave my wife the upgrade to the lie flat, and myself and 3 kids are in the middle 4 seats in economy plus. A + crew on this flight, they made sure my kids felt welcomed and were happy (we sat on the tarmac for an hour this morning). When it came time for bistro on board, my 1K took care of my meal, and they comped my kids snacks (multiple Pringles/M&M's/gummy bears...we look like we looted a 7-11). Travelling with kids can be really stressful, and this particular crew has made a gigantic difference. Often overlooked how that can impact the travel experience.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #342 on: October 02, 2019, 01:25:11 PM »
This mainly relates to Madrid so rather than create a new narrow topic I will plug this post in here, under travel.....

Thank you MU, Sam Sauceda and the MU in Madrid program.

An early basketball/football star at MU, Hispanic pioneer, former MU AD (1969 to 73) and very kind man named Sam Sauceda was a Spanish professor  at MU who also founded the Marquette program at University of Madrid. He passed a few years ago, and for those who never heard of him, here is a partial obituary:

Samuel Paul Sauceda, age 89, died peacefully in his home on April 4, 2016. Sauceda, the oldest of six siblings, was a star athlete at Elgin High School and earned all state honors in football and basketball. He was inducted into the Elgin Sports Hall of Fame in 1981. Sauceda was the first Hispanic to earn an athletic scholarship to Marquette University and played the 1944 football season before enlisting in the U.S. Army. He was stationed in Germany at the end of World War II. Upon returning from the war, he played four years of basketball at Marquette University (1947-1950) and an additional year of football in 1948. Sauceda, a six-time letter winner, was one of only four freshmen in Marquette history to letter in both football and basketball. After his senior year, he was the school's all-time leader in steals and second leading scorer in basketball. Following the 1949-50 season, he represented Marquette in the College Basketball All-Star game at Chicago Stadium. Sauceda served as Marquette's Athletic Director from 1969-73 and was also Chairman of the Athletic Board. A Spanish professor, Sauceda received his B.A. from Marquette University, a Master Degree of Arts from the University of Wisconsin-Madison (Spanish) and a Doctorate from the University of Madrid (Spanish). He was a faculty member of the Foreign Language Department at Marquette University where he taught for 43 years and retired in 1997. He established the Marquette in Madrid Junior Year Abroad program in 1965 and served as its resident director. He also taught in Guadalajara, Mexico for eight years with the University of San Diego Summer Program. Sauceda cherished being a teacher and was an avid sports fan - proudly one of Marquette University's biggest supporters.

Anyway... for me the best thing I got out my MU time was August 77-September 78, including attending the Univ of Madrid. Immersed in life, art, the love of a spanish girl, music partying and tons of European travel...it was great. I owe MU and Sam S many thanks. Returning often ...sharing this city with others has been a lifelong joy.

The last half of this October my wife and I are heading to Madrid, for three weeks (I have clients there) and our highlight will be bringing our 10 year old granddaughter for the first time. I am so excited to have her see the Art at the Prado, the Royal Palace, Toledo, the Alcazar and Aqueduct in Segovia, etc...her first exposure to another world will impact her life...forever .

Thanks Sammy and MU, for my love of Madrid....and those of you with kids going now or soon to MU...if you can work it out I heartily recommend junior year in the MU program at Univ of Madrid...it will change their life.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:33:44 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #343 on: October 02, 2019, 01:33:09 PM »
Sam Sauceda also spearheaded getting rid of Willie Wampum. Just sayin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #344 on: October 02, 2019, 01:42:11 PM »
Bangalore was my planned first stop (because I wanted to knock it out first) and my customer informed me the preceding Monday & Tuesday was a national holiday and the factory would be closed so I had to put on the tail end else I would have an extra day in Singapore.

Reading up on Bangalore it said it's the best first place to visit in India because it's cleaner, less hot, and less congested than most of India.  Don't know if it's true.  Same article mentioned the metro was clean and just opened like 2 years ago.  But cheap Uber works for me. 

And there is nothing like staying at a Conrad Hotel for the same price as the Hampton Inn in Downtown Milwaukee.  (It's all about the points.)

Valid points, but...its still India  ::)  I have my issues with China and other heavily populated areas with transportation, but India takes the cake.  Heck, when I was in Singapore, I managed to find myself amidst an Indian tour group of 200+ when taking the monorail.  Beautiful sparkling modern monorail, but it was a disaster with pushing and shoving and no personal space and rudeness, etc... Take that times x10 and you have the scenario on even the best public transit in India. 

And the climate is a bit more moderate, but you're still gonna be catching the end of raining season and looking at upper 70s/low 80s with big humidity.

But you nailed it with the Conrad.  One of the silver linings on my trips to the country.  I personally stay at a Sofitel near the business park where my customers are.  Over the top service, scented air in the hallways, random cleaning staff call me by name, breakfast and happy hour in a rooftop lounge included, and a room near the size of my 1BR in Chicago...for $150.  It makes the trip perfectly palatable when I have an oasis to return to.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #345 on: October 02, 2019, 01:42:44 PM »
Sam Sauceda also spearheaded getting rid of Willie Wampum. Just sayin', hey?

Well yeah....duh....He was Hispanic with N American indian blood lines (common to many latinos)

....maybe you wanna be reasonable and  concede he shouldve been allowed to take a little offense at the cartoonish  Willie

Remember too as a lifelong MU Sports guy... Sam had nothing, zero to do with Dilulio's elimination of the "Warriors".
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #346 on: October 02, 2019, 05:20:29 PM »
A good flight crew makes such a big difference, especially when travelling with wife/kids. I'm on a flight to Denver right now on a 777 from ORD, gave my wife the upgrade to the lie flat, and myself and 3 kids are in the middle 4 seats in economy plus. A + crew on this flight, they made sure my kids felt welcomed and were happy (we sat on the tarmac for an hour this morning). When it came time for bistro on board, my 1K took care of my meal, and they comped my kids snacks (multiple Pringles/M&M's/gummy bears...we look like we looted a 7-11). Travelling with kids can be really stressful, and this particular crew has made a gigantic difference. Often overlooked how that can impact the travel experience.

United is pretty good with families, especially with families of high mileage frequent fliers. Had one time where someone figured out my wife and I were in first and my junior high children were in coach, so they upgraded both of them as we boarded the plane.

A couple of things I learned about flying with my children when they were in middle school and beyond:

1) Threaten them with death. They respond to that and usually works.

2) Make sure there are video games available to them. That keeps them happy no matter how long the trip is.

3) My children were fascinated with the wonder of flight. We made sure they acted fascinated and like adults. The result was they were always good until we got off the plane.

4) See if you can get them in the cockpit before or after. The pilots love it unless they are busy and love to show kids around. United will do this on  widebodies and on smaller jets if they have time.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #347 on: October 02, 2019, 06:50:46 PM »
I always marvel at you road warriors.  I'm sure it's wonderful to see the world.  I'm sure it's more wonderful when you get to attend your kid's soccer game.  I never had to travel much for business.  And then only very early and late in my career and only domestically.

Our kid has traveled a ton in his first few years out of college, again only domestically.  Has now earned Bonvoy 'lounge access' just based on travel this year.  Don't think he has enough airline miles to get the airport clubs yet though. Soon, I'm sure.  I'm hanging with him!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #348 on: October 02, 2019, 07:31:31 PM »
Our kid has traveled a ton in his first few years out of college, again only domestically.  Has now earned Bonvoy 'lounge access' just based on travel this year.  Don't think he has enough airline miles to get the airport clubs yet though. Soon, I'm sure.  I'm hanging with him!

When it comes to perks, hotel status like with Marriott usually is more useful, IMO. My airline status is great for business travel perks and flexibility, but minimal benefit for personal travel with a SO unless we’re using miles. My GF is Titanium with Marriott and I get way more benefit from that then she does from my 1K.

As for clubs, unfortunately he won’t. Those are usually tied to either ticket class purchased or if you have the right CC (United Club Card or one with Priority Pass). As I mentioned, I’m 1K, and I only get into lounges if I’m flying international. I never have United Club access for domestic travel

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #349 on: October 02, 2019, 10:41:50 PM »
When it comes to perks, hotel status like with Marriott usually is more useful, IMO. My airline status is great for business travel perks and flexibility, but minimal benefit for personal travel with a SO unless we’re using miles. My GF is Titanium with Marriott and I get way more benefit from that then she does from my 1K.

As for clubs, unfortunately he won’t. Those are usually tied to either ticket class purchased or if you have the right CC (United Club Card or one with Priority Pass). As I mentioned, I’m 1K, and I only get into lounges if I’m flying international. I never have United Club access for domestic travel

JWags hit the nail on the head. I’m 1K with United and haven’t been in a United Club in a couple years. All my work travel is domestic and I always plan to spend as little time as possible at the airport. My 1K status for my family is nice when they travel with me (all checked bags free, and I use my Regional/Global premier upgrades to try to get some combo of us upgraded), but as JWags said, my Marriott Titanium status is far more handy for the family. We’ve stayed in suites at some really nice places. My tip to people, if you’re staying at a resort with your family on an upcoming trip and you have status, always email the hotel manager a month ahead, let them know what your family is celebrating on that trip, and you should get something nice when you get there.