[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 198617 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #275 on: August 03, 2019, 03:56:50 PM »
I talked to an ump who will spend all 13 weeks there and is currently working on a streak of 100 straight weeks.    Talk about not having a life.   I saw mostly good baseball.   However, the big kids who can launch are in a category by themselves.   300' homers on 200' fences.     I never met a jerk on the sidewalks between games.     Yes, during games, some of the participants, coaches, fans get intense.    But in the down time, I came in contact with only one person who really ticked me off, and that was a mom with a two pack a day voice berating the service staff for the amount of chips in her nachos and the lack of lids for her soft drink.     The coaches had great talks about the 12 year old thought process and hygiene practices and lack thereof.  It is apparently universal.

And good for you for working one.    I am glad you enjoyed it.  (For the most part)

I had a team that was there mostly for the experience.    1-6, but only one blowout.    An extra inning loss, 2 one run losses, 2 two run losses, and a 9-2 loss in the elimination round that was 3-2 in the 4th.   One sloppy inning later and pfffft.   Our hitters didn't hit enough for the week.   But it was a hoot.

I ran across a few of those "permanent umpires." They've got quite a gig. I might go back, but never for more than 1 week in a summer. That's more than enough. Glad you, your son and the rest of the kids had such a great time.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #276 on: August 05, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »
I've been on the road way too much this last month, and one thing I've noticed now more than in the past is how many airports have major construction projects going on. My home base of ORD has the never ending runway project and the upcoming Terminal 2 re-design. LGA is going through it's major rehaul, I was at Sky Harbor last week and saw the rental car tram finally under construction. In Nashville now and they're under major construction as well.

It'll be interesting to see these changes come mid 2020's, US airports lag far behind their Asian/European counterparts.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #277 on: August 05, 2019, 01:56:57 PM »
I've been on the road way too much this last month, and one thing I've noticed now more than in the past is how many airports have major construction projects going on. My home base of ORD has the never ending runway project and the upcoming Terminal 2 re-design. LGA is going through it's major rehaul, I was at Sky Harbor last week and saw the rental car tram finally under construction. In Nashville now and they're under major construction as well.

It'll be interesting to see these changes come mid 2020's, US airports lag far behind their Asian/European counterparts.

SFO is in the midst of a redesign. Just partially opened a new Terminal 1 for ValuJet and SWA.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #278 on: August 05, 2019, 04:35:48 PM »

I think it all depends. I don’t think Euro airports necessarily outpace most of the US ones unless you compare those that are recently remodeled against US ones that have not been. Frankfort and Munich are two of the best and I don’t find them to be all that special other than being modern and efficient. Zurich is nice but I just flew Geneva and it’s...fine. There is a heavier focus on duty free in Europe because of VAT, but other than funneling people through a flashy duty free area and some variety in lounges (due to more “international” carriers) I don’t view it as significantly different than somewhere like LGA’s remodeled terminals or what I assume new ORD will look like.

Asia is a different story. From the airlines to the airports and their lounges, its all elevated service and customer experience. And the airports themselves serve as tourist attractions in and of themselves. I’m flying through Changi Airport in Singapore next week and it’s a spectacle. Designed and focused in a way that just wouldn’t happen in the US or Europe. Between US cost cutting and Europe fundamental changes to air travel on the national carriers to match the ultra low cost carriers, it’s just a different mindset to air travel. Just my thoughts as someone who sees a fair amount of airports

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #279 on: August 05, 2019, 10:21:03 PM »
SFO is in the midst of a redesign. Just partially opened a new Terminal 1 for ValuJet and SWA.

MSY will open a whole new airport. KC in building a new one.
Getting out of LGA is a nightmare at least C and D terminals.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #280 on: August 06, 2019, 10:19:26 AM »

Was just flying in and out of LGA a few weeks ago and got see the completed 1st phase for Terminal B (United). Good Lord it's miracle. It wasn't a terrible experience like the past - in fact, it was fairly enjoyable. The new way they do RideShare works well - similar to the Seattle method of going to a specifically marked zone (and they have multiple) in the parking garage. As for flying out, they still haven't finished the reno for security so that still is crap for PreCheck. Once thu security the terminal is open, airy, lots of plugs, way better layout and finally has decent options for food. No Auntie Anne's pretzel dogs for dinner when your flight is delayed. Have a Shake Shack in the terminal it's great. Bathrooms are actually able to handle people and luggage too.

I don't think you can just say Asian airports are great - it really depends on the country. I'll be flying into Beijing in a few weeks and the airports is really great looking, has well organized immigration but the Air China lounge is garbage! A lot of Chinese airports are lipstick on pigs - very superficial. Bangkok is so so. Incheon is nice but Gimpo is meh - though most of the "city" airports are older and therefore more dated.
But I like to throw handfuls...

jsglow

• All American

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2019, 07:43:51 AM »
Closer to home.  Does this really get legs?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/2019/08/06/midwest-express-airline-takes-next-step-toward-flying-again/1931377001/

Big question is if the naming rights of the convention center come full circle. And the cookies.

Sounds like it will be limited and a long ways out. I grew up flying Midwest, so from a nostalgia perspective it would be cool.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #283 on: August 22, 2019, 05:11:04 PM »
I'm getting old, I forgot how miserable the car rental shuttle experience is at LAX, especially if you fly United and you're last to get on, and last to get off going back to the airport.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #284 on: August 22, 2019, 05:44:17 PM »
Was just flying in and out of LGA a few weeks ago and got see the completed 1st phase for Terminal B (United). Good Lord it's miracle. It wasn't a terrible experience like the past - in fact, it was fairly enjoyable. The new way they do RideShare works well - similar to the Seattle method of going to a specifically marked zone (and they have multiple) in the parking garage. As for flying out, they still haven't finished the reno for security so that still is crap for PreCheck. Once thu security the terminal is open, airy, lots of plugs, way better layout and finally has decent options for food. No Auntie Anne's pretzel dogs for dinner when your flight is delayed. Have a Shake Shack in the terminal it's great. Bathrooms are actually able to handle people and luggage too.

Security is a work in progress, but going to the numbered gates instead of the C gates for United flights is like heaven.  C gates felt like you were in a set for a TV period piece, now its modern, clean and airy.  I don't spend a ton of time, I'm a 45 min before my flight kind of guy with PreCheck, but its appreciated if I catch a delay.  Agree about the Rideshare too.  Its smooth, its efficient.  Usually in and out in about 5 min if I order when I'm walking over.  Slowly cleansing the nightmares of the rideshare shuttle I put up with for a year plus.

I'm getting old, I forgot how miserable the car rental shuttle experience is at LAX, especially if you fly United and you're last to get on, and last to get off going back to the airport.

LAX at best is fine, at worst it can be the 7th level of hell.  Between that, between times where the Uber/Lyft pickup is a disaster.  I almost missed a flight last year when I was ON LAX PROPERTY, 90 min before my flight.  Came in on the North side, per usual, but he missed the turn in front of the old restaurant to cross over to the United terminal.  Then to go to the next cross over and merge and the merge again took the better part of 45 min.  I thought I was in a SAW film.  It was insanity.

dgies9156

• All American

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #286 on: August 24, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »
We went to LGA recently from ORD on Delta.  Delayed over 2 hours before we took off. On the flight home, we were delayed 4 hours before we got on the plane (they claimed it was because a flight attendant didn’t show), then after we boarded, we sat on the tarmac for 3.5 hours. Like the recent stories, little to no communication about what was going on and when we’d leave, finally got a tiny bottle of water and peanuts about 2.5 hours after being on the tarmac and at one point, the pilot came on to say we were about to pull away when the ground crew just left for some unknown reason. 

It doesn’t surprise me to read about the recent delays involving Delta. By far, they have to be the worst airline around.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #287 on: August 26, 2019, 02:03:06 PM »
We went to LGA recently from ORD on Delta.  Delayed over 2 hours before we took off. On the flight home, we were delayed 4 hours before we got on the plane (they claimed it was because a flight attendant didn’t show), then after we boarded, we sat on the tarmac for 3.5 hours. Like the recent stories, little to no communication about what was going on and when we’d leave, finally got a tiny bottle of water and peanuts about 2.5 hours after being on the tarmac and at one point, the pilot came on to say we were about to pull away when the ground crew just left for some unknown reason. 

It doesn’t surprise me to read about the recent delays involving Delta. By far, they have to be the worst airline around.

I'm curious as to what the delay/cancellation numbers look like at hub vs non-hub airports.  I suppose LGA is technically a DL hub, but what's their ability to cover equipment and personnel delays compared to ATL, MSP, DTW, etc.?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #288 on: August 27, 2019, 07:05:54 AM »
Sorry gang, I still think LGA is a hellhole to be avoided at all costs.

New York has a funny way of making good ideas bad. They can make a nice airport but an adequacy of seating on the new United/American concourse is still lacking. And, they'll never fix the air side or air space problem at LGA unless the Port Authority is able to demolish nearby homes and build another runway.

I tend to use EWR, taking a train from Midtown Manhattan. EWR is a dump in its own right but it is better run and better organized than LGA. By a long-shot.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #289 on: August 27, 2019, 12:04:50 PM »
Sorry gang, I still think LGA is a hellhole to be avoided at all costs.

New York has a funny way of making good ideas bad. They can make a nice airport but an adequacy of seating on the new United/American concourse is still lacking. And, they'll never fix the air side or air space problem at LGA unless the Port Authority is able to demolish nearby homes and build another runway.

I tend to use EWR, taking a train from Midtown Manhattan. EWR is a dump in its own right but it is better run and better organized than LGA. By a long-shot.

I don't disagree that LGA is a mess.  I still think all construction and renovation needs to be completed before a full assessment is made.  They improved the B gates tremendously.  The rideshare set up for Terminal B is excellent.  It went from a dated logistical mess overall to a mid tier airport in terms of overall experience.  The delay issues are always going to be a problem, that wont change, I agree there.

I object to EWR being a dump.  Depends what you fly I guess.  Terminal C is excellent.  Its bright, its airy, its open.  Makes LGA seem claustrophobic.  They are sorting out the security a bit still, but I have no issues.  Very simple and easy to get a car or taxi after.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #290 on: August 27, 2019, 12:38:15 PM »
I don't disagree that LGA is a mess.  I still think all construction and renovation needs to be completed before a full assessment is made.  They improved the B gates tremendously.  The rideshare set up for Terminal B is excellent.  It went from a dated logistical mess overall to a mid tier airport in terms of overall experience.  The delay issues are always going to be a problem, that wont change, I agree there.

I object to EWR being a dump.  Depends what you fly I guess.  Terminal C is excellent.  Its bright, its airy, its open.  Makes LGA seem claustrophobic.  They are sorting out the security a bit still, but I have no issues.  Very simple and easy to get a car or taxi after.

Flying DL in and out of LGA is a nightmare. Waited 2 hours for an Uber, would have been longer to get a shuttle to get a taxi.
But even after the renovation is completed, it will still be a challenge to get in/out of there. Why they didn't include something other than a bus route in a multi billion dollar renovation is beyond me.
People call NY a world class city, but it really isn't. They haven't figured out a way to collect garbage other than dumping it on the sidewalks, leaving a feast for rats and roaches. Airports are dismal at best. Traffic is horrific.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #291 on: August 27, 2019, 01:44:57 PM »

This.  I fly out of LGA regularly and it's getting there.  I always got to Terminals C & D (Delta).
The AirTrain is coming too.  Looks likely construction is set to begin in 2020.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #292 on: August 27, 2019, 03:45:54 PM »
I object to EWR being a dump.  Depends what you fly I guess.  Terminal C is excellent. 

Terminal C? United?

Are we talking Newark, NJ or Newark, DE?

The United Club is C is a joke. Horribly bad. Overcrowded. Impossible do any work. The Polaris Lounge is a poor excuse for a United Club, much less the premium amenity United promises. My wife went in the Polaris lounge on her way to Greece and almost screamed. It was crowded, dirty and had used dishes laying around everywhere. Any chance for a proper dinner went out the window.

The terminal itself is a food mall with airport crammed around the edges. I'll agree that around C130, its nice. Dump is generally descriptive for the rest of it. And, the old United "A" concourse, where all the Distress flights depart, is downright nasty.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #293 on: August 27, 2019, 04:36:39 PM »
Terminal C? United?

Are we talking Newark, NJ or Newark, DE?

The United Club is C is a joke. Horribly bad. Overcrowded. Impossible do any work. The Polaris Lounge is a poor excuse for a United Club, much less the premium amenity United promises. My wife went in the Polaris lounge on her way to Greece and almost screamed. It was crowded, dirty and had used dishes laying around everywhere. Any chance for a proper dinner went out the window.

The terminal itself is a food mall with airport crammed around the edges. I'll agree that around C130, its nice. Dump is generally descriptive for the rest of it. And, the old United "A" concourse, where all the Distress flights depart, is downright nasty.

The Polaris Lounge is a poor excuse for a United Club?  GTFO.  Maybe your wife had a bad experience, but its a large step up from the normal United Clubs.  Your first mistake is expecting a "proper dinner" in an airline lounge.  Try to swing a meal at Classified if you want that at EWR.  Sorry the US doesn't do bourgeois "First Class" lounges with 15 people in them. 

Of course the airport is focused around dining and retail, what else should it be?  A nice cinema and a spa down the middle of the concourse?  The bar/dining in the middle with touch screen ordering is efficient and clean and keeps things open and moving, reduces clutter.  The A terminal is dated and in need of a facelift but calling it "downright nasty" makes you sound like you fly twice a year.  I just flew through Nashville, if you want to talk about a major city's airport that is a dump.

Really curious what airports really blow your hair back.  And preferably not small regional ones. 

People call NY a world class city, but it really isn't. They haven't figured out a way to collect garbage other than dumping it on the sidewalks, leaving a feast for rats and roaches. Airports are dismal at best. Traffic is horrific.

LOL.  Name a world class city then?  Bad traffic disqualifies?  See ya to every large city in the US and Asia.  The airports are a mess, agreed but again, so are plenty.

The garbage is a problem but thats because they didn't plan for the population and growth 250 years ago.  They aren't alone in that.  Chicago is really the only historically old city in the country planned with them.  But again, name me world class cities that don't have issues with tons of population and the trash they produce.  Sound awfully sheltered or like you have a bad experience in Times Square and have it out for the Big Apple

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #294 on: August 27, 2019, 04:48:04 PM »
The Polaris Lounge is a poor excuse for a United Club?  GTFO.  Maybe your wife had a bad experience, but its a large step up from the normal United Clubs.  Your first mistake is expecting a "proper dinner" in an airline lounge.  Try to swing a meal at Classified if you want that at EWR.  Sorry the US doesn't do bourgeois "First Class" lounges with 15 people in them. 

Of course the airport is focused around dining and retail, what else should it be?  A nice cinema and a spa down the middle of the concourse? 

1) In Chicago, we did have a "proper meal" when my son and I went to Paris. It was incredibly pleasant, calming and frankly, what I expected from United. Newark was a dump, pure and simple. United just changed the United Club's name on the door, as best we can tell.

2) Actually, until recently most US carriers did a first class lounge. At Heathrow, United had one of the best airline experiences in its first class lounge I've ever had. It was quiet. Service was attentive and unbelievable. Likewise, the first class lounge at O'Hare and Houston was really great when it existed. The only time it went bad was when United was building Polaris in Chicago and they opened a bus station for a first class lounge. Quite simply, bean counting met luxury head on and customer service lost.

3) How about an airport. How about having enough seats for people to sit. How about having a concourse where we don't have to dodge diners to get to a gate. Is that too much to ask? Probably!

The airports I like, in no particular order, are Seattle, Orlando McCoy, Houtson InterCo and even O'Hare.

Places I hate are Washington Dulles, Newark, LaGuardia, LAX and Atlanta. DTW is good is you are not flying Delta. Awful if you are! Ditto for MSP.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #295 on: August 27, 2019, 05:21:39 PM »
1) In Chicago, we did have a "proper meal" when my son and I went to Paris. It was incredibly pleasant, calming and frankly, what I expected from United. Newark was a dump, pure and simple. United just changed the United Club's name on the door, as best we can tell.

2) Actually, until recently most US carriers did a first class lounge. At Heathrow, United had one of the best airline experiences in its first class lounge I've ever had. It was quiet. Service was attentive and unbelievable. Likewise, the first class lounge at O'Hare and Houston was really great when it existed. The only time it went bad was when United was building Polaris in Chicago and they opened a bus station for a first class lounge. Quite simply, bean counting met luxury head on and customer service lost.

3) How about an airport. How about having enough seats for people to sit. How about having a concourse where we don't have to dodge diners to get to a gate. Is that too much to ask? Probably!

The airports I like, in no particular order, are Seattle, Orlando McCoy, Houtson InterCo and even O'Hare.

Places I hate are Washington Dulles, Newark, LaGuardia, LAX and Atlanta. DTW is good is you are not flying Delta. Awful if you are! Ditto for MSP.

Fair enough.  I was more speaking to the fact that with US carriers (save American...for now) merging International First and Business, those lounges don't really exist.  So comparing that as the standard is unrealistic.  Same as comparing to Midwest Express or how PanAm/TWA was years and years ago.  Your experiences are surprising.  Ive spent a decent amount of time in both the ORD and EWR Polaris lounges, and it really must be time dependent.  Ive seen both packed and both sparsely populated  I didn't see much of a difference and frankly like EWR's runway views better.  If you've been in a standard UC bathroom versus the individual cubicles at the Polaris lounge, also no comparison.

Your complaints about the dining areas near gates, I won't even deal with further.  There are ample walkways on both sides, you're don't walking through a mall food court  :o

Funny you say ORD.  I have no issue, its my home base airport, and its perfectly fine, but you get people who act like its the 7th level of hell cause they got delayed on the way to Vegas one time.  I personally hate MCO, the whole place feels tacky.  I do love that there is usually approx 2 people in the Pre-Check line cause everyone else flies once every 2 years.  Heathrow is a lightning rod as well for people, but I absolutely enjoy flying in and out.  Spacious, airy, efficient, love the Heathrow Express, and the best "standard" United Club ive been to.

IAD and LAX are the pits.  CVG, KCI, BNA, and MSY round out my domestic hated list.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #296 on: August 27, 2019, 07:15:21 PM »
Everytime I fly in and out of BNA, I want to steal one of the retro posters up on the wall during the long walk from the United gates to the rest of the terminal.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #297 on: August 27, 2019, 07:35:46 PM »
I agree that MSY and KCI are terrible. I always thought the variation in mid market airports throughout the US varied wildly. MSY is just bleak, for such a vibrant city, it isn’t the most welcoming place. PDX, DSM, CLT, CMH all seem to do a good job of cleanliness, well laid out, feels like you’re “in” that city, ample space and food options spread out to not be clustered.

Of major cities, ORD actually does a decent job, I don’t understand people that hate on it. The people mover fiasco though...

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #298 on: August 27, 2019, 07:48:50 PM »
KCI is the absolute worst, with MSY (just flew out of there today) and MEM also pretty terrible. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #299 on: August 27, 2019, 07:50:38 PM »
I agree that MSY and KCI are terrible. I always thought the variation in mid market airports throughout the US varied wildly. MSY is just bleak, for such a vibrant city, it isn’t the most welcoming place. PDX, DSM, CLT, CMH all seem to do a good job of cleanliness, well laid out, feels like you’re “in” that city, ample space and food options spread out to not be clustered.

Of major cities, ORD actually does a decent job, I don’t understand people that hate on it. The people mover fiasco though...

MSY is getting a new airport. If they ever fix the issues with the piping, it may even open. From what I have seen, it looks really nice. Getting to and from will be even more of a challenge though with the limited access from I-10. And for people like me that rent cars, it will be a pain, as they are leaving the car rental facility at the old terminal.

I like the refurbishment in place in Austin, plus the added perk of being able to take your drink and stroll around the airport. It did startle me the first time I saw someone board the plane with a beer in their hand.