[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by tower912
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 199615 times)

jesmu84

• All American

BM1090

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2018, 02:32:32 PM »
What's wrong with Heathrow out of curiosity? I flew into Heathrow and Gatwick and much preferred Heathrow.

Reykjavic was my least favorite. Only had one person scanning tickets and it took a hour to board because you needed to take a bus to the plane.

Dublin was my favorite. Easy to navigate, and nice new renovations.

I actually liked Reykjavik but admittedly it was my first time landing in Europe so there's probably a bit of nostalgia involved. I didn't have to go through security because I was just there for a connection.

I flew out of Luton and Stansted on a couple of separate occasions and at one of them we had to go through basically an entire shopping mall to get to our gate. That was obnoxious.

Munich was weird. Either there was absolutely no security or we somehow bypassed it.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2018, 04:34:39 PM »
Anybody check out the Marriott/SPG announcement and changes? One thing I saw and am trying to understand, I will fall into Platinum Premier, and read that any Marriott Platinum’s will get 10 Suite Night Awards this year. I’m not exactly sure what that means.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »
Munich was weird. Either there was absolutely no security or we somehow bypassed it.

That happened to me in Colombia. Was going from Bogota to Armenia. Thought I was in the wrong place because I somehow missed security. Terrifying flight, only 30 minutes but pretty much a blind landing in a one runway airport.

Another weird one, I flew from London into ORD (Changed planes in Dublin) about a month ago. We got in a hour early, and I didn't have to go through customs. I'm guessing they changed our gate last minute since we were so early.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2018, 06:03:52 PM »
MUDish

I did not have a chance to look too closely at the announcement, but seems to be customer friendly. I hope i am not disappointed after I dig deeper into it. Looks like a smart move grouping it all together. It is easier to lock in frequent travelers, and makes it easy for the travelers. In Asia I stay 90% at Renaissance or JW, but some very nice Westin’s I have wanted to try.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2018, 09:47:48 PM »
MUDish

I did not have a chance to look too closely at the announcement, but seems to be customer friendly. I hope i am not disappointed after I dig deeper into it. Looks like a smart move grouping it all together. It is easier to lock in frequent travelers, and makes it easy for the travelers. In Asia I stay 90% at Renaissance or JW, but some very nice Westin’s I have wanted to try.
If they really add the two together I should jump up to Platinum Premier!  I also enjoy the starwood properties in Asia - they seem to be ahead of Marriott there. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2018, 08:13:49 AM »
The latest chapter of "Why I hate discount airlines."

http://crankyflier.com/2018/04/17/sun-country-earns-the-cranky-jackass-award-for-giving-no-options-to-stranded-customers/

This deserves a state and/or federal investigation. When you issue a ticket, you make a promise. You don't decide it is inconvenient to fly someone home and strand them. I'm suspecting that Sun Country Airlines will be getting a wave of lawsuits in Hennipen County Circuit Court in Minnesota. And, they deserve it.

As I alluded to with Allegiant yesterday, when costs become the primary driver for your existence, you lose a sense of values and ethics. It is one thing to be efficient. We all get that in our personal and business lives. It's another thing to be cheap. This is just plain cheap and unfeeling.

Quite frankly, while I think we would sell our own mothers for an extra 5% off airfare, there are some things that are just not worth being cheap over!

Yes, United dragged people off airplanes. Yes, someone's canine died in an overhead bin. But I dare say, United would never leave me stranded in a foreign country with no way out. Nor would Delta, American or Southwest.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2018, 09:32:48 AM »
The latest chapter of "Why I hate discount airlines."

http://crankyflier.com/2018/04/17/sun-country-earns-the-cranky-jackass-award-for-giving-no-options-to-stranded-customers/

This deserves a state and/or federal investigation. When you issue a ticket, you make a promise. You don't decide it is inconvenient to fly someone home and strand them. I'm suspecting that Sun Country Airlines will be getting a wave of lawsuits in Hennipen County Circuit Court in Minnesota. And, they deserve it.

As I alluded to with Allegiant yesterday, when costs become the primary driver for your existence, you lose a sense of values and ethics. It is one thing to be efficient. We all get that in our personal and business lives. It's another thing to be cheap. This is just plain cheap and unfeeling.

Quite frankly, while I think we would sell our own mothers for an extra 5% off airfare, there are some things that are just not worth being cheap over!

Yes, United dragged people off airplanes. Yes, someone's canine died in an overhead bin. But I dare say, United would never leave me stranded in a foreign country with no way out. Nor would Delta, American or Southwest.

Similarly, I was in Europe on business a couple years ago, flying from Basel to London.  France did their classic bimonthly "Air Traffic is going on strike" BS, thus shutting down all French airspace.  We were flying Ryanair cause it made sense price and timing wise and its usually a perfectly fine option for quick flights there.

Well our flight was cancelled straight away.  We approached the counter and the customer service didn't even attempt to be helpful or constructive.  Just "too bad, the ticket will be refunded in 7-10 business days, NEXT!"  It was laughable.  Naturally we called United 1K line and they managed to get us a very good rate on a Lufthansa flight connecting through Munich so we routed around France.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2018, 09:46:59 AM »
Similarly, I was in Europe on business a couple years ago, flying from Basel to London.  France did their classic bimonthly "Air Traffic is going on strike" BS, thus shutting down all French airspace.  We were flying Ryanair cause it made sense price and timing wise and its usually a perfectly fine option for quick flights there.

Well our flight was cancelled straight away.  We approached the counter and the customer service didn't even attempt to be helpful or constructive.  Just "too bad, the ticket will be refunded in 7-10 business days, NEXT!"  It was laughable.  Naturally we called United 1K line and they managed to get us a very good rate on a Lufthansa flight connecting through Munich so we routed around France.
Sounds similar to what happened to me last March at Orly in our way to Grenada, Spain.  We got to Orly, looked up at the board to find out gate and found our flight canceled by an air traffic control strike.  After standing in line for a couple of hours, we were told we could get rebooked two days later on a flight.  I listened to others bitch and scream at the people behind the counter and get nowhere, so I took the opposite tact.  They got us out the following morning, first to Barcelona, then Madrid, then a 4 hour bus ride to Grenada.  14 hours after we left the airport hotel at Orly, we made it to Grenada. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2018, 11:32:39 AM »
That's brutal dgies. I'm a frequent cranky reader and I agree that one of his 3 solutions would have been a reasonable answer.  Cross them off the list too.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2018, 12:05:56 PM »
WarriorFan
I agree on better option than Marriott. I have to admit, I never took advantage of rewards points until last 5-6 years and regret it. Marriott was my biggest clients chain of choice and I started doing Marriot exclusively. Looking forward to exploring other brands in the group moving forward.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2018, 12:42:48 PM »
My favorite airports have many destinations. I'd rather fly nonstop out of a dump than have a layover originating from a palace.

So with that criteria in mind, are some of my favorites, domestic and international:

O'Hare's International Terminal (probably the nicest part of the entire airport)
Portland
Sea-Tac
Denver
Minneapolis
Munich
Vienna
Copenhagen (awesome places to sleep during a layover)
Krakow
Dublin

Don't care for Mitchell. Lambert is definitely a dump.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »
Nothin' butt a fart in da wind. Happened on Ma and Pa's favorite carrier, no less, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2018, 01:47:03 PM »
4ever

Up with jet lag and you had me laughing out loud. Thanks for the laugh,

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2018, 03:24:35 PM »
My favorite airports have many destinations. I'd rather fly nonstop out of a dump than have a layover originating from a palace.

So with that criteria in mind, are some of my favorites, domestic and international:

O'Hare's International Terminal (probably the nicest part of the entire airport)
Portland
Sea-Tac
Denver
Minneapolis
Munich
Vienna
Copenhagen (awesome places to sleep during a layover)
Krakow
Dublin

Don't care for Mitchell. Lambert is definitely a dump.

I'd second Munich.  I often camped at the Hilton between Terminals 1 & 2 and did day trips when I spent a lot of time in Europe.  Also great for two leg flight to the Middle East before there were more options direct.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2018, 07:42:28 PM »
Terrible what happened to that passenger.  Read that the pilot was the first female Navy fighter pilot.  Fine job with a crippled airplane.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2018, 06:45:24 AM »
That's brutal dgies. I'm a frequent cranky reader and I agree that one of his 3 solutions would have been a reasonable answer.  Cross them off the list too.

As a side note, what Glow and I are speaking about is www.crankyflier.com. For those of you who are interested in the airline industry, Cranky is a must read. He's a former airline executive who blogs every weekday except Wednesday.

Cranky knows his stuff. For me, I love his "Cranky Jackass" award. He's given it to Sun Country, United, American and I think even the beloved Delta has received one. He's also awarded the title "World's Worst Airline" to Alitalia.

Quick read. Really good for those of you who are interested.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2018, 09:51:01 AM »
Cranky knows his stuff. For me, I love his "Cranky Jackass" award. He's given it to Sun Country, United, American and I think even the beloved Delta has received one. He's also awarded the title "World's Worst Airline" to Alitalia.

I know two different stories of people paying for business/first class on Alitalia for flights to Europe, getting to the gate, and being informed that they had been bumped down to economy and any complaints or questions of refunds were told that they would have to handle it with corporate.  I can't even imagine.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2018, 11:37:45 AM »
Terrible what happened to that passenger.  Read that the pilot was the first female Navy fighter pilot.  Fine job with a crippled airplane.
Hat tipped to the pilot who got that plane and those passengers to the ground.   If you get a chance, listen to the audio between pilot and the control tower.    Remarkably controlled.   What any of us would hope our pilot would sound like under those circumstances. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2018, 12:14:05 PM »
Hat tipped to the pilot who got that plane and those passengers to the ground.   If you get a chance, listen to the audio between pilot and the control tower.    Remarkably controlled.   What any of us would hope our pilot would sound like under those circumstances.

Naval aviators rock.  Our good friend drives for United.  Dodging Gulf War missiles has a way of focusing the mind.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2018, 03:25:42 PM »

Not surprised. Those men and women who fly commercially have probably faced the  same situation or worse at least 100 times -- maybe more -- in a simulator.

By the time they get into an airline cockpit, they've seen and done it all. And if they flew F15s or F22s, they've seen things that even airline simulators can't reproduce.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2018, 12:54:46 PM »
Interesting passing through Amsterdam yesterday on my way home. 
I had to report to Gate "D1" for my flight.  Gate "D1" is a fake gate for all Delta flights headed towards the United States.  Basically, everyone has to pass through an extra line of security before they are told their actual gate.  The line was super long, so I went and shopped then grabbed something to eat and the line was next to nothing by time I got there.  Of course, my actual gate was D57 on the exact opposite side of the terminal.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:33:36 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2018, 08:54:37 PM »
My summer travel odyssey begins this week:
Moscow - Zurich - Chicago - Frankfurt - Moscow - Novosibirsk
Novosibirsk - Beijing - Jakarta - Beijing - Novosibirsk
Moscow - Singapore - Jakarta - Doha - JFK
JFK-DOH- Jakarta - NRT - ORD
ORD- PEK - Moscow
All in the next 7 weeks.
Ugh.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2018, 04:17:27 PM »
WarriorFan

I sure hope you are being well for that schedule. Safe travels.