[Today at 09:50:49 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[Today at 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Playing Hauser was dumb and dangerous  (Read 31275 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: [Paint Touches] Playing Hauser was dumb and dangerous
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 02:38:31 PM »
<a href="http://" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://</a>
I'm pretty sure I identified the exact moment Hauser re-aggravated the injury. Video in the article. 

https://painttouches.com/2018/03/21/greska-playing-hauser-was-dumb-and-dangerous/

Once you see that, and then compare to pre and post numbers, you will also agree.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 02:56:16 PM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 02:41:30 PM »
I agree.  This whole podcast and the feeling of entitlement just because they do a podcast out of their parents basement is pathetic.  At what point does some one not take a step back and question wether their  opinion is more valuable than the hands on knowledge of a myriad of professionals?
Pretty lame guys.

Pakuni called OP in an appropriate way.  Your BS attack is even more pathetic than what you're attacking.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 03:26:30 PM »
Everyone has their own opinion, dont they?

Oh and btw nice screen name.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 03:50:52 PM »
It’s utterly ridiculous and irresponsible of posters (not shocked) to be playing doctor.

The doctors aren’t going to put kids in harms way or clear them, especially for a NIT game if they shouldn’t be cleared.

Good grief I have to go throw up

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 03:51:28 PM »
Good grief I have to go throw up

If you're sick I'm sure someone here can offer a diagnosis.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 03:52:18 PM »
If you're sick I'm sure someone here can offer a diagnosis.

Well played.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 03:56:34 PM »
What's the difference between Scoopers and God?

God doesn't think he's a Scooper.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 04:00:00 PM »
I'll stick with the docs. MU has an outstanding medical team, and I trust they have more knowledge than we do.

Sam is too important to the program for them to be reckless with him.

+1 Anyone that thinks they know more or better than the medical staff blows my mind. Don't you think they realize how important it is to not take unnecessary risks with our investments? (players)

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 04:04:09 PM »
Pakuni called OP in an appropriate way.  Your BS attack is even more pathetic than what you're attacking.

+1, the "mom's basement" line is one of the most tired and overused things of all time

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 04:05:56 PM »
This bit of stupidity is what happens when someone thinks his ability to use Google is an adequate substitute for a medical degree and actual evaluation of a patient.

Pux90mex can you please share your medical credentials with us?  You pull two general quotes from orthopedic and sports medicine websites like that somehow makes a strong case.  One discusses intra-articular hip issues being poorly understood... have you seen Sam’s MRI and are your sure it’s an intra-articular hip issue for Sam?  I think the reference is likely referring to the average Joe Blow doctor poorly understanding hip issues.  Sam’s brother Joey had his surgery performed by renowned Dr. Anderson who is on the packers medical staff... the top surgeon in the Midwest for his procedure.  To think the Hausers and MU medical staff was negligent in letting Sam play is asinine.  Your arguments remind me of the antivax crowd and their testimonies in which their story somehow trumps science
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 04:07:33 PM »
<<Now, you say the injury was not at risk for getting worse, but that doesn't mean the risk for a different injury, compensating for the initial injury, a la Derrick Rose, wasn't there. >>

This was my main concern, and my gut reaction while watching Sam labor through a couple of games was that he should be shut down.

But ultimately I figured that the doctors and training staff gave Sam and his family all of the information and let them have a say in it.

There would be no benefit to the program to have an injured kid get hurt more badly in the NIT; not only would it have been bad for Sam, it would have cast a very bad light on the program if something like that had happened.

So I told myself, "Self, trust the doctors who actually know what's going on."

I am not nearly as bothered as some that the article was written, but I do think the "dumb and dangerous" is way over the top.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 04:10:02 PM »
Good one mufan, I walked right into that one.  LOL

I mean you have to have ZERO self awareness to post doctor stuff on message boards. You have to know people are going to think your a complete idiot (unless you are a doctor or in the field).

Friendly suggestion, stick to fire the coach stuff or bench him because he sucks etc....  You will blend in better

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 04:13:02 PM »
Good one mufan, I walked right into that one.  LOL

I mean you have to have ZERO self awareness to post doctor stuff on message boards. You have to know people are going to think your a complete idiot (unless you are a doctor or in the field).

Friendly suggestion, stick to fire the coach stuff or bench him because he sucks etc....  You will blend in better

you're

Friendly suggestion: It's never a good look for somebody who can't spell to call somebody else an idiot.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 05:09:22 PM »
you're

Friendly suggestion: It's never a good look for somebody who can't spell to call somebody else an idiot.

He (or she) spells just fine. He (or she) just happened to correctly spell the wrong word.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 05:12:45 PM »
I agree.  This whole podcast and the feeling of entitlement just because they do a podcast out of their parents basement is pathetic.  At what point does some one not take a step back and question wether their  opinion is more valuable than the hands on knowledge of a myriad of professionals?
Pretty lame guys.

1. As far as I know,  Paint Touches has never been a podcast

2. At what point did any of the MUBB "podcasters" claim to have a more valuable opinion?  As far as I can tell they simply offer an opinion and as we know:

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2018, 06:01:09 PM »
I agree.  This whole podcast and the feeling of entitlement just because they do a podcast out of their parents basement is pathetic.

The only MU podcast occurring in a basement was when Joe had Phil locked in his creepy Texas basement. This has already been well established on Twitter.

To the OP, I disagree. Some injuries will not become worse and there's plenty of time for Sam to heal before next season starts.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2018, 06:45:01 PM »
Well, if your argument is that no one should ever play through an injury, regardless of his/her doctor's opinion, because there's a microscopic chance of worsening it, then I guess that's fine. I disagree, but you're entitled to that view.
But even that's a far cry from your "dumb and dangerous" statement. Dumb and dangerous means the coaching and medical staff was careless with Sam's health. You don't have the first idea of whether that's accurate, and it's reckless of you to make that claim.

Beyond that, your whole article is based on the absurd belief that you can offer anything close to an informed opinion on Sam's injury and prognosis without the benefit of any experience, expertise or examination. That's what is really dumb and dangerous here.

I'm not going to work tomorrow because of the microscopic chance I could be hit by a semi and killed......never going on another plane that's for sure......

What does  Hawkeye Pierce think? Marcus Wellby? Dr. Kildare?

It's 1 thing to say you wouldn't have played him.....it's another to use hyperbole like you did in the headline.

Sam and his parents all were informed of the situation.....if they were worried he wouldn't have played.....

You nailed it Pakuni.

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2018, 06:57:09 PM »
What's the difference between Scoopers and God?

God doesn't think he's a Scooper.

Ha, ha.  So true. 

I miss journalism that reported news rather than substituting their opinion in place of news or coloring articles to have the same effect.  The latter should be prefaced with "Opinion" or "Editorial". 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2018, 07:39:51 PM »
Terminology bulletin:

Podcast = Audible recording, usually of people talking into a mic / Podcasters
Blog entry = Written article, web log, text / Bloggers

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2018, 09:25:29 PM »
I see both sides.

On one hand, you have complete trust of MU, staff and physicians.

On the other hand, you have all of the other variables.  With MU playing weekend in games in Chicago and New York, it would have been prudent to have someone else (who has done work on professional athletes), do an examination, look at the scans and give an honest opinion.  Give a listen to Chris Borland on The Ringer's NFL show sometime.  Team physicians are employed by the team with lots of gray area on what's best for the team vs. the athlete.  One prominent college athlete I know, had a huge setback when the ortho surgeon made a huge mistake. So I hope that someone outside of the MU realm gave some feedback of the situation.

My biggest problem with him playing is having surgery on March 12 versus March 26.  Two weeks is huge in any rehab, especially FAI.  Everything should go smoothly, but if there are hiccups, those 2 weeks can be vital.  To me it's whether your goal is to win the NIT or put everything in place for next season, and that's where I see the Paint Touches side.

WarriorDad

• All American
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

fjm

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2018, 08:10:36 AM »
This post has already gotten torn to shreds, and while I get it's an opinion piece, it's fairly wreckless.

First hauser himself said it was bothering him sinces August. So I would guess you're thinking he should have been out all season then.
--the fact that he played all season on it is an ode to the doctors knowing it would hold up the whole season instead of shutting him down in August.

Secondly, using two generic public statements from public accounts of ortho doctors doesn't help this arguement.

Case in point: there is 1... ONE ever research article linking vaccines to autism. (Also the guy who wrote this paper has even said himself that he made it up and it's not true).
There are hundreds of research papers that show the complete opposite.

But any numbskull can find the "AUTISM IS CAUSED BY VACCINES!" Statement online. And it's easier to find that one.

So while I appreciate the article. And the way it is written (while I completely disagree with your stance), I think there are a few flaws.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2018, 08:12:10 AM »
I see both sides.

On one hand, you have complete trust of MU, staff and physicians.

On the other hand, you have all of the other variables.  With MU playing weekend in games in Chicago and New York, it would have been prudent to have someone else (who has done work on professional athletes), do an examination, look at the scans and give an honest opinion.  Give a listen to Chris Borland on The Ringer's NFL show sometime.  Team physicians are employed by the team with lots of gray area on what's best for the team vs. the athlete.  One prominent college athlete I know, had a huge setback when the ortho surgeon made a huge mistake. So I hope that someone outside of the MU realm gave some feedback of the situation.

My biggest problem with him playing is having surgery on March 12 versus March 26.  Two weeks is huge in any rehab, especially FAI.  Everything should go smoothly, but if there are hiccups, those 2 weeks can be vital.  To me it's whether your goal is to win the NIT or put everything in place for next season, and that's where I see the Paint Touches side.

With consideration to the 2 weeks:

I agree it is huge! But there can be things that are causing a delay in treatment. Not only his well being and allowing him to have a bit of s life after basketball. But medically it may be that there is significant swelling around the injury and they are allowing the swelling to go down.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2018, 08:13:13 AM »
Yes, and everyone has an pretty boy.

And some people are pretty boys.

And work to prove it everyday.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2018, 08:22:26 AM »
With consideration to the 2 weeks:

I agree it is huge! But there can be things that are causing a delay in treatment. Not only his well being and allowing him to have a bit of s life after basketball. But medically it may be that there is significant swelling around the injury and they are allowing the swelling to go down.

Playing basketball during those 2 weeks is not going to decrease any inflammation/swelling. With an ACL, sure have to let the edema go down. With a FAI, there is not enough edema that would delay a surgical intervention.