[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Playing Hauser was dumb and dangerous  (Read 31269 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
[Paint Touches] Playing Hauser was dumb and dangerous
« on: March 21, 2018, 12:25:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure I identified the exact moment Hauser re-aggravated the injury. Video in the article. 

https://painttouches.com/2018/03/21/greska-playing-hauser-was-dumb-and-dangerous/

Once you see that, and then compare to pre and post numbers, you will also agree.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: [Paint Touches] Playing Hauser was dumb and dangerous
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 12:36:40 PM »
I hate to, but I have to disagree Andrei. Team docs know what they are doing. The injury was wearing Sam down but it was not the kind of injury that was a risk for getting worse by playing on it. Yes he was hurting and his numbers were down, but he was going to need to the same surgery whether he played or not. Only "cost" to playing Sam was theoretically he could have gotten the surgery a week or two sooner.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 12:55:09 PM »
How dare you disagree TAMU. What is this, a free country?

But I think people are conflating 2 injuries with 1. The initial injury occurred prior to the season, but didn't have a noticeable effect in terms of athleticism or on-court performance. The 2nd happened against DePaul, and it was most likely a re-aggravation of the initial one. The results of that one were evident to anyone with eyes.

Now, you say the injury was not at risk for getting worse, but that doesn't mean the risk for a different injury, compensating for the initial injury, a la Derrick Rose, wasn't there. It's not just me spewing nonsense, I included links to 2 academic studies of the NBA and NCAA that come to similar conclusions.

Long story short, no one has told me what the doc's diagnosis was, but I'm guessing it was similar to Bonzie's. He played just fine on it without making it worse, until he didn't. Sam turned out ok, but I'm not ok with adding any risk to the cornerstone of the team.   

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 12:57:43 PM »
Knowing what we know now, I would have 100% shut him down after BE tourney.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »
Knowing what we know now, I would have 100% shut him down after BE tourney.

I'll stick with the docs. MU has an outstanding medical team, and I trust they have more knowledge than we do.

Sam is too important to the program for them to be reckless with him.

peterpan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 01:05:05 PM »
Sam should have absolutely been shut down after the big east tournament. Can’t believe the staff chose to play him in 3 exhibition games.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 01:07:00 PM »
Sam should have absolutely been shut down after the big east tournament. Can’t believe the staff chose to play him in 3 exhibition games.

Why?  Was he harmed in any way?  Was the risk greater?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 01:10:38 PM »
What's more dumb and dangerous: using a public forum to criticize team coaches and doctors when you have no idea really what you are talking about.  (And quoting a couple public web-sites doesn't count.)

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 01:11:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure I identified the exact moment Hauser re-aggravated the injury. Video in the article. 

https://painttouches.com/2018/03/21/greska-playing-hauser-was-dumb-and-dangerous/

Once you see that, and then compare to pre and post numbers, you will also agree.
HOT TAKE

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 01:29:38 PM »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 01:32:33 PM »
I hate to, but I have to disagree Andrei. Team docs know what they are doing. The injury was wearing Sam down but it was not the kind of injury that was a risk for getting worse by playing on it. Yes he was hurting and his numbers were down, but he was going to need to the same surgery whether he played or not. Only "cost" to playing Sam was theoretically he could have gotten the surgery a week or two sooner.

I would have scheduled it the day after Selection Sunday.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 01:35:23 PM »
Two weeks isn't going to make a difference. He'll be fully recovered long before basketball season begins if all goes to plan.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
Had Sam shut down, Joey would of called him a wimp.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 01:40:31 PM »
Asst AD doesn't like you guys

https://twitter.com/UWPgrad1997/status/976518299331825664

Don't lump TAMU into this, haha. That's why I put my name on it directly. But yea, nothing new there.

And Sultan, if any of my posts get to the point of being dumb and dangerous, I sure hope I make more than the ad revenue I currently get. I appreciate the discussion, but statement like that don't make much sense.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »
From Marquette Wire

Hauser, Elliott start injury recovery after NIT loss

John Steppe, Assistant Sports Editor • March 20, 2018 •

Marquette sophomore forward Sam Hauser said he will undergo surgery on his left hip and is expected to miss 5-6 months.

“It’s been an issue all year,” Hauser said. “I’m just going to get it fixed in a week or two here and then start the rehab process.”

The injury has bothered him since August. Despite the hip issues, Hauser was third on the team in scoring with 14.1 points per game and led the team in 3-point shooting and rebounding.

Hauser is not the only significant player to have ongoing health issues. Freshman guard Greg Elliott has dealt with a hand injury since the Lindenwood exhibition Nov. 4. He said the doctors will examine his hand to see if he needs surgery. The guard from Pontiac, Michigan averaged 18.3 minutes per game this year.

“I hurt it in the Lindenwood exhibition and it’s been messed up every since,” Elliott said. “We’re going to see if we need surgery or not after a couple of weeks.”

Neither player missed any game action as a result of the injuries.

“Our guys are fried,” Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski said. “I would not advise guys to be in the gym tomorrow, and I think they would heed that advice.”

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 01:41:37 PM »
This bit of stupidity is what happens when someone thinks his ability to use Google is an adequate substitute for a medical degree and actual evaluation of a patient.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 01:47:34 PM »
This bit of stupidity is what happens when someone thinks his ability to use Google is an adequate substitute for a medical degree and actual evaluation of a patient.

Don't forget Twitter, and Synergy, and TRank. But yea, good thing they didn't make me ND's doc or I might have gotten Bonzie hurt.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 01:54:11 PM »
Don't forget Twitter, and Synergy, and TRank. But yea, good thing they didn't make me ND's doc or I might have gotten Bonzie hurt.

Bonzie Colson re-injuring his foot makes you capable of evaluating Sam Hauser's hip better than his doctors.
Solid argument.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 02:00:14 PM »

This. This was like Clay Matthews' shoulder this year. As long as the docs were fully transparent with Sam and Sam willingly played through, there's nothing to see here.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 02:01:19 PM »
Bonzie Colson re-injuring his foot makes you capable of evaluating Sam Hauser's hip better than his doctors.
Solid argument.

Not at all. Simply that great doctor's told him and Brey that he was ok to play. No idea what the diagnosis was, but I'm positive if he knew the outcome he wouldn't have played.

For Sam, I thought/think the value of him playing in the NIT did not outweigh any microscopic chance of making his injury worse, or the slightly greater chance of incurring a separate, unrelated injury. I was saying as much before he even disclosed the injury required a 4-5 month recovery.

It's fine to disagree, many have. But you specifically cited trusting the docs, and I responded with a recent example of how even great docs can't prevent an injury.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 02:09:13 PM »
It's fine to disagree, many have. But you specifically cited trusting the docs, and I responded with a recent example of how even great docs can't prevent an injury.

Well, if your argument is that no one should ever play through an injury, regardless of his/her doctor's opinion, because there's a microscopic chance of worsening it, then I guess that's fine. I disagree, but you're entitled to that view.
But even that's a far cry from your "dumb and dangerous" statement. Dumb and dangerous means the coaching and medical staff was careless with Sam's health. You don't have the first idea of whether that's accurate, and it's reckless of you to make that claim.

Beyond that, your whole article is based on the absurd belief that you can offer anything close to an informed opinion on Sam's injury and prognosis without the benefit of any experience, expertise or examination. That's what is really dumb and dangerous here.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 02:19:52 PM »
From Marquette Wire

Hauser, Elliott start injury recovery after NIT loss

John Steppe, Assistant Sports Editor • March 20, 2018 •

Marquette sophomore forward Sam Hauser said he will undergo surgery on his left hip and is expected to miss 5-6 months.

“It’s been an issue all year,” Hauser said. “I’m just going to get it fixed in a week or two here and then start the rehab process.”

The injury has bothered him since August. Despite the hip issues, Hauser was third on the team in scoring with 14.1 points per game and led the team in 3-point shooting and rebounding.

Hauser is not the only significant player to have ongoing health issues. Freshman guard Greg Elliott has dealt with a hand injury since the Lindenwood exhibition Nov. 4. He said the doctors will examine his hand to see if he needs surgery. The guard from Pontiac, Michigan averaged 18.3 minutes per game this year.

“I hurt it in the Lindenwood exhibition and it’s been messed up every since,” Elliott said. “We’re going to see if we need surgery or not after a couple of weeks.”

Neither player missed any game action as a result of the injuries.

“Our guys are fried,” Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski said. “I would not advise guys to be in the gym tomorrow, and I think they would heed that advice.”
But some moron said this team lacked heart.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 02:23:17 PM »
So some  podcaster knows more than the staff, the Hausers, trainers, doctors and surgeons??
Lotta silly posts on this board over the years but this one is just plain stupid.  Boo and thumbs down to pod casters.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 02:28:27 PM »

I agree.  This whole podcast and the feeling of entitlement just because they do a podcast out of their parents basement is pathetic.  At what point does some one not take a step back and question wether their  opinion is more valuable than the hands on knowledge of a myriad of professionals?
Pretty lame guys.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

feedback