[Today at 08:47:00 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:41:23 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 07:52:43 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Olympics-womens skiing  (Read 11360 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Olympics-womens skiing
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 08:32:00 AM »
She did qualify by having a number of top 10 finishes on the circuit. She finished in the top 10 primarily because there were less than 10 participants. She usually targeted competitions that the top women were skipping for higher level contests. She gamed the system, kudos to her IMO. Let them change the system if they want like they did after Eddy the Eagle.

I must have edited my post while you were typing yours.

I never said she didn't qualify.  My point was the opposite.  If you are going to be upset about people that don't belong at the Olympics because they aren't competitive, I would start with the countries that don't even bother to determine who is the most qualified person to send.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 08:40:05 AM »

It wouldn't surprise me at all if I these participants were related to highly connected people in their country, and their appointment to their Olympic team was political. And if that is the case, that is much more of a scam than a woman who was savvy enough on her own to use the rules to her advantage. You might not like it or agree with it, but she qualified fair and square.  She wasn't at the Olympics because her dad was the Minister of Whatever in some banana republic.

I'm sure you're right that there are bigger scams and situations that are bigger embarrassments to the integrity of their sports. That doesn't mean this isn't a scam and an embarrassment, though. You see her as "savvy", I see her as gaming the system. Eye of the beholder, I guess.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:44:08 AM by Lennys Tap »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »
Pick on her all you want but when the Olympics make the Slam Dunk Contest a sport Scoopers will be frantically searching their genealogy to find the easiest path to the games.

"isn't it interesting that this Welsh dunker is the 3rd competitor to sport Marquette shorts?"
"it certainly is.  let's hope, unlike the first two, he can actually touch the rim"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 09:20:14 AM »
Pick on her all you want but when the Olympics make the Slam Dunk Contest a sport Scoopers will be frantically searching their genealogy to find the easiest path to the games.

"isn't it interesting that this Welsh dunker is the 3rd competitor to sport Marquette shorts?"
"it certainly is.  let's hope, unlike the first two, he can actually touch the rim"

I would compete for another country in a minute.  I have dual German-American citizenship, but at the time I was at my most competitive, the only swimmers who were better than the Americans were the Germans.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 09:23:39 AM »
I'm sure you're right that there are bigger scams and situations that are bigger embarrassments to the integrity of their sports. That doesn't mean this isn't a scam and an embarrassment, though. You see her as "savvy", I see her as gaming the system. Eye of the beholder, I guess.

The only time I would think something like that would be unfair is if it prevented a more qualified athlete from competing.  I don't see any evidence that it did.

People game the system in any endeavor that has rules. 
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 09:28:40 AM »

;D

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 09:35:24 AM »

Didn’t realize Ners was Welsh.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 10:22:45 AM »

People game the system in any endeavor that has rules.

Some people do. Some people do a lot of things.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 10:39:42 AM »
Letter of the law? Check.

Spirit of the law? No way.

Criticize the lawmakers for unintentionally creating a loophole she could walk through? OK, but criticize her for making a mockery of "her sport", her competitors and the Olympics.

Eh ... the Olympics make a mockery of themselves all the time, Lenny!

This seems like capitalism to me. She sought opportunities to enrich herself, and she played by the rules to do it.

I think it's pretty funny. Even charming in its own way.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 11:05:58 AM »
Didn’t realize Ners was Welsh.

Ners is short for Cennydd

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 11:06:06 AM »
Eh ... the Olympics make a mockery of themselves all the time, Lenny!

This seems like capitalism to me. She sought opportunities to enrich herself, and she played by the rules to do it.

I think it's pretty funny. Even charming in its own way.

Is she really enriching herself, though? Are we going to be seeing her on a Wheaties box anytime soon? Is there a Nike sponsorship in the offing?
Maybe she's just someone who decided she really wanted the experience of being an Olympian and did what it took to get there. We all should be so determined in going after our goals.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 11:18:02 AM »
Is she really enriching herself, though? Are we going to be seeing her on a Wheaties box anytime soon? Is there a Nike sponsorship in the offing?
Maybe she's just someone who decided she really wanted the experience of being an Olympian and did what it took to get there. We all should be so determined in going after our goals.

If you read the Yahoo article linked above, that is pretty much exactly what is driving her.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 11:39:28 AM »

Even if she "gamed the system" (or whatever anybody wants to call it) purely so she could have the experience of being an Olympian and with no financial motives whatsoever, she did it to enrich herself.

Many studies have shown that the majority of people find experiences more rewarding than things or financial gain.

I have no problem with what she did. As I said, I find it sweet in an odd way.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »
She totally gamed the system.

And what she did is also totally awesome.  The video of her run and her story is one of the more entertaining things to come out of this Olympics.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 01:27:20 PM »
I would compete for another country in a minute.  I have dual German-American citizenship, but at the time I was at my most competitive, the only swimmers who were better than the Americans were the Germans.
Maybe if you took as many PEDs as the East German women took back in the day, you could've made their team too!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »
Maybe if you took as many PEDs as the East German women took back in the day, you could've made their team too!

No doubt.

I believe I saw a follow-up story on some of those women years later, and -no surprise- they all have serious health problems now.  I don't think any of them were able to have children.  And they had no clue - they were told the injections and pills were vitamins.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 02:23:18 PM »
Jake Arrieta swims too, hey?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 02:37:06 PM »

But then how would you tell Glow and Chick apart?

Answer: Glow would be the one with two black eyes.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2018, 05:29:03 PM »
Difference is that Eddy the Eagle actually jumped.

Not very far, though.

And she actually skis - just not very well.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:34:21 PM by Jockey »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2018, 05:32:57 PM »
Some people do. Some people do a lot of things.

I think Jay Bee hijacked your account.

You're due in the front yard, though. Some kid is standing on your grass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2018, 06:05:06 PM »
I think Jay Bee hijacked your account.

You're due in the front yard, though. Some kid is standing on your grass.

Long after my kids were grown, I was the guy who encouraged our next door neighbor's kids to play ball in our front yard. The whole neighborhood swam in our pool. But sorry, I don't see this "Olympic skier" as cute, charming or awesome. Or as an athlete. Question for all - if she was your daughter or granddaughter would you be bragging right now or be embarrassed? For me it's the latter.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2018, 06:06:22 PM »

Wait ... I thought you had dual Westeros-American citizenship but also could compete for the Dothraki National Team because of your first husband ...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »
Long after my kids were grown, I was the guy who encouraged our next door neighbor's kids to play ball in our front yard. The whole neighborhood swam in our pool. But sorry, I don't see this "Olympic skier" as cute, charming or awesome. Or as an athlete. Question for all - if she was your daughter or granddaughter would you be bragging right now or be embarrassed? For me it's the latter.

Maybe the answer will change when I do have kids, but I can’t imagine there will be too many things that will lead me to be embarrassed by my kids. This would certainly not be one of them.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2018, 06:21:14 PM »
The first time an Olympics posted  the results of all participants on the internet , I was surprised to find that as a swimmer, my best time would have been faster than at least a couple of dozen women who swam in the 100m freestyle. As a frame of reference, I was an above-average club swimmer who didn't want to make the time commitment necessary to train at the next level.

You made me curious.  I was an average HS swimmer -- maybe if we're being charitable, "slightly above average."  I only swam for two years, and never swam outside the HS season.  I just checked the results from Rio.  There weren't many, but there were a couple swimmers in Rio that I could have beat.

My guess is that this happens all the time; it's just that we rarely see it.  This one happened to go viral because, let's face it, it's a hell of a lot funnier watching this incompetent half-pipe run than it is watching a slow swimmer.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »

See if that was my daughter or granddaughter I would be bragging to everyone. I wouldn't go all Lavar Ball about it and try to claim that she was better than other Olympians are better than anyone for that matter. But hell yeah I would be bragging about my daughter the Olympian.

As a random bum on the internet though, I laugh at her as one of the worst Olympians in history.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback