[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Olympics-womens skiing  (Read 11128 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Olympics-womens skiing
« on: February 20, 2018, 09:06:25 AM »

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Olympics-womens skiing
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »
Such a dumb thing to do. I also have a huge issue of being able to compete for a country because ones relatives were from there. Unless you yourself have established permanent residency you shouldn't be allowed to compete.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 09:31:49 AM »
A country is allowed to determine who qualifies as a citizen.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:44:00 AM »
I'm not sure if she should be applauded... she gamed a system, thereby exposing it, thereby making it stronger (in theory), which would otherwise be a noble deed; however, is she not also the same person that ran for governor when she was 19?  This has publicity stunt written all over it.

Be sure to watch for her autobiography... my guess is that she'll be announcing the release date in the next few weeks.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 09:46:52 AM »
The Olympic system has been gamed like this for years.  It's not new.  She isn't taking anyone else's spot.  No harm done.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 10:26:31 AM »
The Olympic system has been gamed like this for years.  It's not new.  She isn't taking anyone else's spot.  No harm done.

Right. If Hungary had a better freestyle skier, she'd get the spot instead of Swaney.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:37:02 AM by Pakuni »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 10:36:06 AM »
she also "competed" on the Venezuelan skeleton team a few years ago.  Worldly broad, if you ask me.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 01:36:32 PM »
Question is how is she funding these wordly travels?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 01:39:19 PM »
Anyone who is upset about it can certainly try out for the Venezuelan ski team....

And watching her ski is kinda like watching Eddy the Eagle jump.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 04:57:21 PM »
Question is how is she funding these wordly travels?

bitcoin, a'ina?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 05:21:02 PM »
The announcer commentary is my favorite part.  So gentle and complimentary.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 07:08:44 PM »
Whatever happens, they better leave the Tongan guy alone.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 08:20:16 PM »

:)

(I would have used the laugh so hard I'm crying emoji, but they don't have it here.)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 09:34:20 PM »
Anyone who is upset about it can certainly try out for the Venezuelan ski team....

And watching her ski is kinda like watching Eddy the Eagle jump.

Difference is that Eddy the Eagle actually jumped. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 10:18:12 PM »

Well...sorta.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 10:23:25 PM »
Luke will be playing for Armenia in the Olympics......
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 11:12:43 PM »

If I'm gonna scam my way into the Olympics, it's not going to be in a sport with highly probable death, such as ski jumping.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 11:43:13 PM »
If I'm gonna scam my way into the Olympics, it's not going to be in a sport with highly probable death, such as ski jumping.

Maybe form a Malaysian curling team, eh?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 04:39:01 AM »

She did not scam.  She followed the rules. 

Criticize those that made the rules, not those that used them to their advantage.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 06:44:21 AM »
She did not scam.  She followed the rules. 

Criticize those that made the rules, not those that used them to their advantage.

Letter of the law? Check.

Spirit of the law? No way.

Criticize the lawmakers for unintentionally creating a loophole she could walk through? OK, but criticize her for making a mockery of "her sport", her competitors and the Olympics.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 06:45:47 AM »
Luke will be playing for Armenia in the Olympics......

It would be highly unlikely that Armenia qualifies for the Olympics.  They didn't even make the European qualification round for the 2019 Euros, which means they would have to enter an extra qualification round to make the Olympics. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 06:49:34 AM »

Criticize the lawmakers for unintentionally creating a loophole she could walk through? OK, but criticize her for making a mockery of "her sport", her competitors and the Olympics.

Unintentionally?  Actually the Olympics organizers know that these loopholes exist and encourage countries who aren't highly represented to participate.  They want to expand participation.  Why do you think there was a cross country skier from Mexico and bobsledders from Nigeria?

And she is hardly making a mockery of her sport.  This happens at every Olympics and no one is really outraged about it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 07:36:15 AM »
The first time an Olympics posted  the results of all participants on the internet , I was surprised to find that as a swimmer, my best time would have been faster than at least a couple of dozen women who swam in the 100m freestyle. As a frame of reference, I was an above-average club swimmer who didn't want to make the time commitment necessary to train at the next level.

My guess is that there are certain events that any country can participate in without qualifying, and this was one of them. And based on some of the times posted, there was no way that person was the fastest swimmer in that country. You would have a pretty decent chance of plucking a person off the street who would have been faster. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if I these participants were related to highly connected people in their country, and their appointment to their Olympic team was political. And if that is the case, that is much more of a scam than a woman who was savvy enough on her own to use the rules to her advantage. You might not like it or agree with it, but she qualified fair and square.  She wasn't at the Olympics because her dad was the Minister of Whatever in some banana republic.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:24:30 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 08:22:09 AM »
The first time an Olympics posted  the results of all participants on the internet , I was surprised to find that as a swimmer, my best time would have been faster than at least a couple of dozen women who swam in the 100m freestyle. As a frame of reference, I was an above-average club swimmer who didn't want to make the time commitment necessary to train at the next level.

My guess is that there are certain events that any country can participate in without qualifying, and this was one of them. And based on some of the times posted, there was no way that person was the fastest swimmer in that country. You would have a pretty decent chance of plucking a person off the street who would have been faster. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if I these participants were related to highly connected people in their country, and their appointment to their Olympic team was political. And if that is the case, that is much more of a scam than a woman who was savvy enough on her own to use the rules to her advantage.

She did qualify by having a number of top 10 finishes on the circuit. She finished in the top 10 primarily because there were less than 10 participants. She usually targeted competitions that the top women were skipping for higher level contests. She gamed the system, kudos to her IMO. Let them change the system if they want like they did after Eddy the Eagle.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 08:32:00 AM »
She did qualify by having a number of top 10 finishes on the circuit. She finished in the top 10 primarily because there were less than 10 participants. She usually targeted competitions that the top women were skipping for higher level contests. She gamed the system, kudos to her IMO. Let them change the system if they want like they did after Eddy the Eagle.

I must have edited my post while you were typing yours.

I never said she didn't qualify.  My point was the opposite.  If you are going to be upset about people that don't belong at the Olympics because they aren't competitive, I would start with the countries that don't even bother to determine who is the most qualified person to send.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 08:40:05 AM »

It wouldn't surprise me at all if I these participants were related to highly connected people in their country, and their appointment to their Olympic team was political. And if that is the case, that is much more of a scam than a woman who was savvy enough on her own to use the rules to her advantage. You might not like it or agree with it, but she qualified fair and square.  She wasn't at the Olympics because her dad was the Minister of Whatever in some banana republic.

I'm sure you're right that there are bigger scams and situations that are bigger embarrassments to the integrity of their sports. That doesn't mean this isn't a scam and an embarrassment, though. You see her as "savvy", I see her as gaming the system. Eye of the beholder, I guess.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:44:08 AM by Lennys Tap »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »
Pick on her all you want but when the Olympics make the Slam Dunk Contest a sport Scoopers will be frantically searching their genealogy to find the easiest path to the games.

"isn't it interesting that this Welsh dunker is the 3rd competitor to sport Marquette shorts?"
"it certainly is.  let's hope, unlike the first two, he can actually touch the rim"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 09:20:14 AM »
Pick on her all you want but when the Olympics make the Slam Dunk Contest a sport Scoopers will be frantically searching their genealogy to find the easiest path to the games.

"isn't it interesting that this Welsh dunker is the 3rd competitor to sport Marquette shorts?"
"it certainly is.  let's hope, unlike the first two, he can actually touch the rim"

I would compete for another country in a minute.  I have dual German-American citizenship, but at the time I was at my most competitive, the only swimmers who were better than the Americans were the Germans.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 09:23:39 AM »
I'm sure you're right that there are bigger scams and situations that are bigger embarrassments to the integrity of their sports. That doesn't mean this isn't a scam and an embarrassment, though. You see her as "savvy", I see her as gaming the system. Eye of the beholder, I guess.

The only time I would think something like that would be unfair is if it prevented a more qualified athlete from competing.  I don't see any evidence that it did.

People game the system in any endeavor that has rules. 
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 09:28:40 AM »

;D

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 09:35:24 AM »

Didn’t realize Ners was Welsh.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 10:22:45 AM »

People game the system in any endeavor that has rules.

Some people do. Some people do a lot of things.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 10:39:42 AM »

Eh ... the Olympics make a mockery of themselves all the time, Lenny!

This seems like capitalism to me. She sought opportunities to enrich herself, and she played by the rules to do it.

I think it's pretty funny. Even charming in its own way.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 11:05:58 AM »
Didn’t realize Ners was Welsh.

Ners is short for Cennydd

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 11:06:06 AM »
Eh ... the Olympics make a mockery of themselves all the time, Lenny!

This seems like capitalism to me. She sought opportunities to enrich herself, and she played by the rules to do it.

I think it's pretty funny. Even charming in its own way.

Is she really enriching herself, though? Are we going to be seeing her on a Wheaties box anytime soon? Is there a Nike sponsorship in the offing?
Maybe she's just someone who decided she really wanted the experience of being an Olympian and did what it took to get there. We all should be so determined in going after our goals.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 11:18:02 AM »
Is she really enriching herself, though? Are we going to be seeing her on a Wheaties box anytime soon? Is there a Nike sponsorship in the offing?
Maybe she's just someone who decided she really wanted the experience of being an Olympian and did what it took to get there. We all should be so determined in going after our goals.

If you read the Yahoo article linked above, that is pretty much exactly what is driving her.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 11:39:28 AM »

Even if she "gamed the system" (or whatever anybody wants to call it) purely so she could have the experience of being an Olympian and with no financial motives whatsoever, she did it to enrich herself.

Many studies have shown that the majority of people find experiences more rewarding than things or financial gain.

I have no problem with what she did. As I said, I find it sweet in an odd way.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »
She totally gamed the system.

And what she did is also totally awesome.  The video of her run and her story is one of the more entertaining things to come out of this Olympics.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 01:27:20 PM »
I would compete for another country in a minute.  I have dual German-American citizenship, but at the time I was at my most competitive, the only swimmers who were better than the Americans were the Germans.
Maybe if you took as many PEDs as the East German women took back in the day, you could've made their team too!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »
Maybe if you took as many PEDs as the East German women took back in the day, you could've made their team too!

No doubt.

I believe I saw a follow-up story on some of those women years later, and -no surprise- they all have serious health problems now.  I don't think any of them were able to have children.  And they had no clue - they were told the injections and pills were vitamins.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 02:23:18 PM »
Jake Arrieta swims too, hey?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 02:37:06 PM »

But then how would you tell Glow and Chick apart?

Answer: Glow would be the one with two black eyes.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2018, 05:29:03 PM »

Not very far, though.

And she actually skis - just not very well.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:34:21 PM by Jockey »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2018, 05:32:57 PM »
Some people do. Some people do a lot of things.

I think Jay Bee hijacked your account.

You're due in the front yard, though. Some kid is standing on your grass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2018, 06:05:06 PM »
I think Jay Bee hijacked your account.

You're due in the front yard, though. Some kid is standing on your grass.

Long after my kids were grown, I was the guy who encouraged our next door neighbor's kids to play ball in our front yard. The whole neighborhood swam in our pool. But sorry, I don't see this "Olympic skier" as cute, charming or awesome. Or as an athlete. Question for all - if she was your daughter or granddaughter would you be bragging right now or be embarrassed? For me it's the latter.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2018, 06:06:22 PM »

Wait ... I thought you had dual Westeros-American citizenship but also could compete for the Dothraki National Team because of your first husband ...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »
Long after my kids were grown, I was the guy who encouraged our next door neighbor's kids to play ball in our front yard. The whole neighborhood swam in our pool. But sorry, I don't see this "Olympic skier" as cute, charming or awesome. Or as an athlete. Question for all - if she was your daughter or granddaughter would you be bragging right now or be embarrassed? For me it's the latter.

Maybe the answer will change when I do have kids, but I can’t imagine there will be too many things that will lead me to be embarrassed by my kids. This would certainly not be one of them.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2018, 06:21:14 PM »

You made me curious.  I was an average HS swimmer -- maybe if we're being charitable, "slightly above average."  I only swam for two years, and never swam outside the HS season.  I just checked the results from Rio.  There weren't many, but there were a couple swimmers in Rio that I could have beat.

My guess is that this happens all the time; it's just that we rarely see it.  This one happened to go viral because, let's face it, it's a hell of a lot funnier watching this incompetent half-pipe run than it is watching a slow swimmer.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »

See if that was my daughter or granddaughter I would be bragging to everyone. I wouldn't go all Lavar Ball about it and try to claim that she was better than other Olympians are better than anyone for that matter. But hell yeah I would be bragging about my daughter the Olympian.

As a random bum on the internet though, I laugh at her as one of the worst Olympians in history.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2018, 06:25:58 PM »

Really?? 

If this was a goal of my daughter’s, and she achieved it, I would be over the moon proud. Front and center in my Team Hungary gear.

Why would you be embarrassed?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2018, 06:49:56 PM »

Really?? 

If this was a goal of my daughter’s, and she achieved it, I would be over the moon proud. Front and center in my Team Hungary gear.

Why would you be embarrassed?

What did she "achieve"? She's a grown woman who can ski down the bunny hill without falling. The athletes she "competed" against worked for years to achieve excellence. She went on Expedia and bought a plane ticket.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2018, 07:14:43 PM »
See if that was my daughter or granddaughter I would be bragging to everyone. I wouldn't go all Lavar Ball about it and try to claim that she was better than other Olympians are better than anyone for that matter. But hell yeah I would be bragging about my daughter the Olympian.

As a random bum on the internet though, I laugh at her as one of the worst Olympians in history.

If she did what she did as a joke, humorous performance art if you will, I would be standing, clapping and laughing. It works as a joke - but that's about it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2018, 08:53:37 PM »
What did she "achieve"? She's a grown woman who can ski down the bunny hill without falling. The athletes she "competed" against worked for years to achieve excellence. She went on Expedia and bought a plane ticket.

“I get that this was important to you, but it really wasn’t much of an accomplishment.”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2018, 09:31:00 PM »

“I get that this was important to you, but it really wasn’t much of an accomplishment.”

Daughter:"Gee, Daddy, it would be soooo cool to be on an Olympic team. Not so cool that I want to work for it, mind you, that's for suckers, but still really cool. I want it, I want it, I want it! And all I have to do is buy an airplane ticket and ski the bunny hill!"

Dad: "OMG, Princess, I'm so proud of you for wanting something soooo much. If your dream is important enough to you that you'll get on an airplane and fly 6 whole hours for it it's important to me too! Mom and I are so proud we'll even buy you the ticket! Is Daddy your BFF or what?!"
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:57:53 PM by Lennys Tap »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2018, 11:13:21 PM »
Daughter:"Gee, Daddy, it would be soooo cool to be on an Olympic team. Not so cool that I want to work for it, mind you, that's for suckers, but still really cool. I want it, I want it, I want it! And all I have to do is buy an airplane ticket and ski the bunny hill!"

Dad: "OMG, Princess, I'm so proud of you for wanting something soooo much. If your dream is important enough to you that you'll get on an airplane and fly 6 whole hours for it it's important to me too! Mom and I are so proud we'll even buy you the ticket! Is Daddy your BFF or what?!"
I get the Veruca Salt angle, but what about a slightly different angle.....my kid is a pretty good hoops player and a pretty good academic.  This may change, but at 11 it looks like he'll be good enough to make his high school team but not good enough to be a D1 player.  This may also change, but it looks like he'll be academically good enough to make it into schools that are really good, but not the top tier.  If things hold course and he's able to combine his hoops skills and his academic skills to get into a school like Williams College wouldn't that be worth celebrating?  He'd be playing a sport against lower competition but using it to get into an arena that otherwise would be out of his reach.

Maybe her goal is the olympics but maybe the olympics open up other opportunities for her.  I'd be proud either way.

Now if my kid took a full ride at SW Missouri St for hoops instead of a quarter scholarship at Williams because he'd be BMOC at SW MO i'd be pissed.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2018, 11:19:07 PM »

To be completely fair, the halfpipe is far more difficult than a "bunny hill."  The majority of us on Scoop could not have stayed upright on the skis through an entire half-pipe run like hers. 

She did set a goal.  It was a difficult goal.  She achieved it.  For that she should be applauded.

The system will be changed in the future to stop people from gaming the process by cherry picking poorly attended competitions. 

I do not like the fact that a person so can exploit weak country requirements to compete.  You should only be able to compete for nations you are a citizen, or permanent resident of.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2018, 12:39:32 AM »

Who says she didn't work at it? I have no idea if she did or not. Maybe she did but is not gifted athletically. Maybe she worked just as hard as some of the Olympians but didn't have their natural talent or physical gifts. No idea.
TAMU

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2018, 07:04:21 AM »
Who says she didn't work at it? I have no idea if she did or not. Maybe she did but is not gifted athletically. Maybe she worked just as hard as some of the Olympians but didn't have their natural talent or physical gifts. No idea.

Whatever contortions you want to go through in your head to make this praiseworthy instead of laughable, TAMU, but I don't believe for a minute she worked from dawn to dusk for years to be able to remain upright on skis for a couple of minutes any more than I believe the moon is made out of green cheese - but MAYBE it is!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2018, 07:55:37 AM »
Whatever contortions you want to go through in your head to make this praiseworthy instead of laughable, TAMU, but I don't believe for a minute she worked from dawn to dusk for years to be able to remain upright on skis for a couple of minutes any more than I believe the moon is made out of green cheese - but MAYBE it is!

I don't believe for a minute that she worked from dawn to dusk for years either.

But I also don't believe that all other Olypmians do that either. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, there are some pretty unremarkable performances in every sport. Its just easier for us with untrained eyes to pick out this woman because it is so obvious. I do believe that this woman worked at it, and more than the average bear, and found a legal way to make the Olympics. As long as she was doing it with her own money and she didn't take a spot from a more worthy athlete, I couldn't care less.

But again, as a random bum on the internet, I think this is laughable. I was responding to your question about if I would be embarrassed if my daughter did this. Which for me is no (unless she did it all on my dime!)
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2018, 08:02:40 AM »
Who cares?  She didn't block a more deserving skier from the opportunity to compete in the Olympics.  She did nothing wrong.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2018, 08:30:42 AM »

Well of course you are completely wrong about how easy this was for her and apparently about her personality as well.  Again, this is the article I posted earlier.

https://sports.yahoo.com/liz-swaney-worst-olympian-actually-might-best-012747577.html

If she was my daughter, I would be damn proud of her.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2018, 08:54:40 AM »
Who cares?  She didn't block a more deserving skier from the opportunity to compete in the Olympics.  She did nothing wrong.

"Who cares?" and "She did nothing wrong" are totally defensible positions. I disagree slightly because to me her participation mocks every athlete there who made it through hard work rather than a loophole. We can agree to disagree. What I don't understand are people who think this story is "charming" or "awesome" or would be "over the moon proud" if their daughter pulled a stunt like this. That floors me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2018, 08:57:25 AM »
"Who cares?" and "She did nothing wrong" are totally defensible positions. I disagree slightly because to me her participation mocks every athlete there who made it through hard work rather than a loophole. We can agree to disagree. What I don't understand are people who think this story is "charming" or "awesome" or would be "over the moon proud" if their daughter pulled a stunt like this. That floors me.

Because I'm not a wet blanket like you?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2018, 09:23:41 AM »

Well of course you are completely wrong about how easy this was for her and apparently about her personality as well.  Again, this is the article I posted earlier.

https://sports.yahoo.com/liz-swaney-worst-olympian-actually-might-best-012747577.html

If she was my daughter, I would be damn proud of her.

You know what, Sultan - you're right. I read the initial article about her but not this one. After reading it, I confess to being charmed a bit by this modern day female version of Don Quixote. Her "dreams" are all over the place and she seems obsessive to me but I have to tip my cap to the effort she put into becoming an Olympian. As a parent, I guess I'd be proud - but I'd also wish she'd use her boundless energy for loftier goals than being on a cooking show, being an NBA dance teamer or becoming the worst Olympic half pipe skier in history. But you're only young once - perhaps in the future she'll put those degrees from Berkley and Harvard to better use. In the meantime, a tip of the hat to her and apologies to you, Mike, TAMU and others who defended her.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2018, 09:24:21 AM »

Because it's clear she's not one of the best skiers in the world yet she still can call herself an Olympian for the rest of her life.  That is friggin awesome.  And because it was absolutely hysterical to see people launching themselves 20+ feet into the air and doing flips and then she follows it up by basically just rocking back and forth down the half pipe.  That was one of the funniest things I've seen in a very long time.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2018, 09:31:22 AM »
You know what, Sultan - you're right. I read the initial article about her but not this one. After reading it, I confess to being charmed a bit by this modern day female version of Don Quixote. Her "dreams" are all over the place and she seems obsessive to me but I have to tip my cap to the effort she put into becoming an Olympian. As a parent, I guess I'd be proud - but I'd also wish she'd use her boundless energy for loftier goals than being on a cooking show, being an NBA dance teamer or becoming the worst Olympic half pipe skier in history. But you're only young once - perhaps in the future she'll put those degrees from Berkley and Harvard to better use. In the meantime, a tip of the hat to her and apologies to you, Mike, TAMU and others who defended her.

Well I do agree with that.  She reminds me a lot of a friend I have who has all sort of these great ideas, many of which don't work out.  Except she did complete the Ironman last year after only starting to run 10 years ago.

I think she would drive me crazy if I were married to her, but I think the world would be a better place with more people like her.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2018, 09:35:13 AM »
You made me curious.  I was an average HS swimmer -- maybe if we're being charitable, "slightly above average."  I only swam for two years, and never swam outside the HS season.  I just checked the results from Rio.  There weren't many, but there were a couple swimmers in Rio that I could have beat.

My guess is that this happens all the time; it's just that we rarely see it.  This one happened to go viral because, let's face it, it's a hell of a lot funnier watching this incompetent half-pipe run than it is watching a slow swimmer.

Chick was being quite modest in her post.  She was darn good.  Like really good.  Simply chose not to commit herself to the sport beyond HS.  Something to be said for 'having a life'.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2018, 10:09:37 AM »

That article also changed the way I looked at her.  I think she was sincere, and I think that she genuinely made her best effort to become a freestyle skier.  She's not talented, but I don't think it was a goof and she wasn't trying to make a mockery of the event.  The Don Quixote comparison is apt.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2018, 11:44:37 AM »
Well....she wasn't the worst thing on snow or ice this Olympics:

https://www.thecut.com/2018/02/streaker-in-tutu-crashed-winter-olympics-2018.html
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2018, 11:49:06 AM »
Well....she wasn't the worst thing on snow or ice this Olympics:

https://www.thecut.com/2018/02/streaker-in-tutu-crashed-winter-olympics-2018.html

I would not be proud if this were my son.

feedback