'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus doubtful for SJU  (Read 20786 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Markus doubtful for SJU
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2018, 02:45:09 PM »
Floorslapper

If "the staff" needs an injury to team's leading scorer to be saved from themselves, the program is in major trouble. You really think you and J5 have some figured out that "the staff" doesn't? I really, really hope that is not the case. If so, I might want to lead the anti Wojo train.

I mean...I get the urge to want to play your best two guards at the same time.  I am not claiming to know more about hoops than Wojo...that comical.  But it's not like we're making sh*t up.   I don't have the numbers handy, but as of a couple games ago, the Howard/Rowsey combo was like -40 in BE season.  Markus alone was -4.  Rowsey alone was around +20.  I'd love to see the updated numbers, but I am certain the Markus/Rowsey combo has not improved, and I am certain the Rowsey alone +/- has improved.  It was at least +20 something last game alone.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2018, 02:49:24 PM »
J5

Mostly only teasing Floorslapper. That said, I hope Wojo&Co are aware with those numbers.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2018, 03:20:47 PM »
J5

Mostly only teasing Floorslapper. That said, I hope Wojo&Co are aware with those numbers.

He is no doubt aware.  Which sort of begs the question why he continued to roll with the lineup so often. 

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2018, 03:27:20 PM »
He is no doubt aware.  Which sort of begs the question why he continued to roll with the lineup so often.

The answer really isn't that difficult to see.  While we can sit here from behind our keyboards and suggest what Wojo should do, Wojo has to actually do it.  And the kicker is that Andrew and Markus aren't video game avatars...they're real people with feelings and emotions!  A coach has to balance the egos and personalities of his players on top of strategy.  We don't have to.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2018, 03:38:51 PM »
J5

Meh... numbers don't mean a thing at this level.  CYA rules the day.  Case in point: Every MLB manager is aware of the statistical advantage of batting the pitcher 8th (in certain situations), and yet, how many of those 30 managers actually do?  Further case in point: Punting on 4th & 4 beyond your own 45 is statistically moronic (as is kicking the FG outside the opposing 29) but yet again, how many NFL coaches always go for it in those situations?

Imagine if the statistics indeed showed that MU is less efficient with both AR and MH on the court together, if Wojo split them up for the rest of the season and MU goes 0-5, is anyone going to be saying, "well, gosh... you can't blame Wojo; he made the right call."  Conversely, you go 0-5 with AR and MH on the court together for 35 mpg, and how many are going to say "Dammit, Wojo, why didn't you play the numbers!" instead of "well, they tried their best... nothing Wojo could have done there."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:41:25 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2018, 03:56:40 PM »
Probably trying to trick the Selection committee into thinking he can play in a tourney game. FML

M2DL

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2018, 04:08:20 PM »
Wojo presser just came out on Twatter...

Markus doubtful - not sure if long or short term doubftul - depends on how he responds to treatment. Wojo said he suffered "significant" back and hip injuries though. Yikes.

Also made it pretty clear he is going to leave it up to the doctors on whether Markus will play or not. We won't be seeing Markus playing unless he's 95-100%, is my guess.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 04:10:12 PM by TheGRIMEYwrk »

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2018, 04:13:04 PM »

Markus doubtful - not sure if long or short term doubftul - depends on how he responds to treatment. Wojo said he suffered "significant" back and hip injuries though. Yikes.

Also made it pretty clear he is going to leave it up to the doctors on whether Markus will play or not. We won't be seeing Markus playing unless he's 95-100%, is my guess.
The reference to a back injury is concerning - though weird that they did not release a diagnosis for the same.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2018, 04:16:49 PM »

Also said "moving forward without Markus" towards the end of his comments. Based on Wojo's comments, I'd be pretty shocked if he played again this season.  And that's a damn shame.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 04:18:46 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2018, 04:35:52 PM »
D League?

Or Disabled List?

:-\

Disabled List, obvi. It's the G leage now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2018, 04:47:32 PM »
Also said "moving forward without Markus" towards the end of his comments. Based on Wojo's comments, I'd be pretty shocked if he played again this season.  And that's a damn shame.

If he doesn't play, I do think that may put a pin in any tourney hopes we are holding on to. Hard to imagine Rowsey playing 37-40 minutes per night and it not catching up with him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2018, 05:15:29 PM »
If he doesn't play, I do think that may put a pin in any tourney hopes we are holding on to. Hard to imagine Rowsey playing 37-40 minutes per night and it not catching up with him.

While I tend to agree, the fact we likely will be exclusively zone should help conserve some energy.  Unfortunately we play 3 games in the next 6 days.  Wojo will have to get creative on getting Andrew some rest.  I could see any/all of Greg, Sam and possibly even Sacar help with initiating the offense while Andrew is on the bench.

However, there is a small part of me that feels the whole team will respond really well, and the ball will be shared much better, inspiring better play on both ends by all the guys.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2018, 05:17:10 PM »

Well, he just has to do it for 4 games. And he gets 4 days off between GT and Creighton. But yeah, it's asking a lot. Playing zone on defense would help.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2018, 05:21:35 PM »

That little comment is the one that makes me shudder.  Brings back nightmares of Travis and Dominic....

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2018, 05:22:57 PM »
Well, he just has to do it for 4 games. And he gets 4 days off between GT and Creighton. But yeah, it's asking a lot. Playing zone on defense would help.

And luckily we have an exhibition game sandwiched in between St. Ponds & the Georgetown game

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2018, 05:50:41 PM »
Not to split hairs, and I'm going from memory and could be entirely wrong, but I don't believe Wojo ever said significant injury to his hip and back, but rather said it was a bad blow to his hip and back and then later said generally it was a significant injury.  Now what that means I don't know as I suspect Wojo doesn't either.  I was optimistic it will be a game or two after watching it -- basically just whenever the pain subsides enough for him to give it a go.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2018, 05:53:15 PM »
And luckily we have an exhibition game sandwiched in between St. Ponds & the Georgetown game

Good point.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2018, 06:16:24 PM »
Something doesn't seem right though...I THINK/HOPE we are reading too much into Wojo's "moving forward without Markus" comment. Why?? Because he is listed as doubtful for tomorrow night...you would think that IF the injury was as severe as Wojo seems to imply, then he would have been listed as OUT right away. Doubtful means not likely to play, but it does leave open the miniscule chance he COULD be ready to go..no way would he be with a MAJOR injury.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2018, 06:24:03 PM »

Keep on Trucking.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

The Scat

• Walk-On
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2018, 06:41:19 PM »
Something doesn't seem right though...I THINK/HOPE we are reading too much into Wojo's "moving forward without Markus" comment. Why?? Because he is listed as doubtful for tomorrow night...you would think that IF the injury was as severe as Wojo seems to imply, then he would have been listed as OUT right away. Doubtful means not likely to play, but it does leave open the miniscule chance he COULD be ready to go..no way would he be with a MAJOR injury.

Maybe he is listed as "doubtful" instead of "out" to force SJU to prepare for the possibility that Markus will play.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2018, 06:43:29 PM »
Maybe he is listed as "doubtful" instead of "out" to force SJU to prepare for the possibility that Markus will play.

I doubt that...if someone is listed as doubtful, these teams know that the chances he plays are slim...it's almost like being out anyway.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2018, 06:46:24 PM »

Are we really parsing Wojo's comments this carefully?  I am sure y'all putting much more effort into analyzing every word than he did composing it.

This wasn't some reviewed-by-six-lawyers "no controlling legal authority" type of statement.
Have some patience, FFS.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2018, 06:46:42 PM »
wojo mind games

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2018, 06:58:42 PM »
This wasn't some reviewed-by-six-lawyers "no controlling legal authority" type of statement.

HPPIAA?