[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus doubtful for SJU  (Read 20753 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Markus doubtful for SJU
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2018, 07:01:52 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2018, 07:25:43 PM »
I am assuming we won't see Markus again at least until the BET. Maybe not again this season. I have no basis for assuming that ... but that way if I'm wrong, it means we're getting good news. I prefer the pleasant surprise to the unpleasant surprise!

Despite our success at Creighton, I agree with Goose and a few others that this is not a "good news" situation. I'd rather have Markus, a player capable of carrying us offensively for long stretches.

However, I also agree with those who take this bad news and try to find some silver linings because, well, that beats the hell out of doom and gloom.

One silver lining, as others have said (and I concur), is that we tend to do better with only one midget on the court.

Another is that we'll get a look for at least a few minutes every game (and more in some games, especially if and when Rowsey gets in foul trouble) of how Elliott handles the point. If he does well, then this actually could be a "blessing in disguise" deal.

True story: Back when I was a middle school coach, my PG and MVP - the best player in our league, IMHO - suffered a concussion. She had to miss 4 games. The first game she missed was right after Xmas break, the very first day back to school, and we didn't even have time to practice without her. We played our very worst 11 minutes of my 4 years at the school. Our second-best player choked under the pressure, and the rest of the girls followed her lead to oblivion. It was like we had never seen the basketball before. Clearly bad coaching - and I'm not saying that to just be self-depricating; I hadn't prepared the team well enough. We were down 15-0. Yes, we had zero points in 11 minutes.

A few minutes before halftime, a girl who had averaged about 1 point per game over her season and a half made a 15-footer. We got a stop and then she made another 15-footer. We got another stop and then she drove to the basket and got fouled, making a FT.

I won't bore you with the entire play-by-play, but we ended up battling all the way back to lose by 2. That player finished with 13 points, more than double her career high. Two days later we played again without our PG and the new, improved player scored 18. She had more points in those 2 games than she had scored in 1 1/2 seasons. Her success also helped our second-best player, who now didn't feel so much pressure.

When our PG came back, we now had 3 scoring options. It was as if we had made a major midseason trade - and didn't even have to give up anything. We ended up winning our second straight championship, and that girl led our team in scoring in the playoffs.

So ...

We already have seen Sacar step up big-time with Markus out. Maybe next game it will be Greg. Maybe it will be Cain the game after that.

Brian Freakin' Doyle replaced an injured Willie Randolph and batted .438 to help the Yankees win the 1978 World Series.

Strange stuff happens all the time in sports.

To quote the late, great Joaquin Andujar: "There is one word in America that says it all, and that word is, 'You never know.'"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2018, 09:15:16 PM »
Kinda like dat fat broad and her lack of singin', aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2018, 09:32:07 PM »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2018, 09:51:47 PM »
I doubt that...if someone is listed as doubtful, these teams know that the chances he plays are slim...it's almost like being out anyway.

Professional sports teams do that kind of thing all the time. Most obvious example is the Patriots

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2018, 11:36:20 PM »
I am assuming we won't see Markus again at least until the BET. Maybe not again this season. I have no basis for assuming that ... but that way if I'm wrong, it means we're getting good news. I prefer the pleasant surprise to the unpleasant surprise!

Despite our success at Creighton, I agree with Goose and a few others that this is not a "good news" situation. I'd rather have Markus, a player capable of carrying us offensively for long stretches.

However, I also agree with those who take this bad news and try to find some silver linings because, well, that beats the hell out of doom and gloom.

One silver lining, as others have said (and I concur), is that we tend to do better with only one midget on the court.

Another is that we'll get a look for at least a few minutes every game (and more in some games, especially if and when Rowsey gets in foul trouble) of how Elliott handles the point. If he does well, then this actually could be a "blessing in disguise" deal.

True story: Back when I was a middle school coach, my PG and MVP - the best player in our league, IMHO - suffered a concussion. She had to miss 4 games. The first game she missed was right after Xmas break, the very first day back to school, and we didn't even have time to practice without her. We played our very worst 11 minutes of my 4 years at the school. Our second-best player choked under the pressure, and the rest of the girls followed her lead to oblivion. It was like we had never seen the basketball before. Clearly bad coaching - and I'm not saying that to just be self-depricating; I hadn't prepared the team well enough. We were down 15-0. Yes, we had zero points in 11 minutes.

A few minutes before halftime, a girl who had averaged about 1 point per game over her season and a half made a 15-footer. We got a stop and then she made another 15-footer. We got another stop and then she drove to the basket and got fouled, making a FT.

I won't bore you with the entire play-by-play, but we ended up battling all the way back to lose by 2. That player finished with 13 points, more than double her career high. Two days later we played again without our PG and the new, improved player scored 18. She had more points in those 2 games than she had scored in 1 1/2 seasons. Her success also helped our second-best player, who now didn't feel so much pressure.

When our PG came back, we now had 3 scoring options. It was as if we had made a major midseason trade - and didn't even have to give up anything. We ended up winning our second straight championship, and that girl led our team in scoring in the playoffs.

So ...

We already have seen Sacar step up big-time with Markus out. Maybe next game it will be Greg. Maybe it will be Cain the game after that.

Brian Freakin' Doyle replaced an injured Willie Randolph and batted .438 to help the Yankees win the 1978 World Series.

Strange stuff happens all the time in sports.

To quote the late, great Joaquin Andujar: "There is one word in America that says it all, and that word is, 'You never know.'"

Richie "Trotter" Dreyfus from Let it Ride knew that EVEN WHEN YOU KNOW....you never know!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

SlowJoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2018, 11:56:14 AM »
Just saw Markus walking around campus with no crutches. Although he has a noticeable limp when he walks.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:00:04 PM by SlowJoe »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2018, 12:01:51 PM »
Just saw Markus walking around campus with no crutches. Although he has a noticeable limo when he walks.

Seems like an inappropriate use of university resources to devote a whole LIMO to him.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »
Just saw Markus walking around campus with no crutches. Although he has a noticeable limo when he walks.

That is great news!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2018, 12:04:29 PM »

Good.  The way some people were speculating, I'm just happy he still has two legs.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2018, 12:07:40 PM »
Seems like an inappropriate use of university resources to devote a whole LIMO to him.

It's now known as a "driving boot".
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2018, 12:50:12 PM »
Yeah gotta believe that if he’s at least already able to walk without crutches he should have a solid chance to play at somepoint soon.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2018, 01:03:20 PM »

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2018, 01:05:25 PM »
Just saw Markus walking around campus with no crutches. Although he has a noticeab
Nice! Bodes super well if doctors are already comfortable with him walking around without crutches.

...but how does that bode for our zone moving forward (I kid, Goose).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:07:30 PM by Windyplayer »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »
He is no doubt aware.  Which sort of begs the question why he continued to roll with the lineup so often.

To re-ignite the debate, I honestly believe Wojo has blinders when it comes to this because he is so focused on the 3pt line. He knows that is where basketball is going and has a team that can excel at it offensively so he steers it that way plus he builds his defense entirely around stopping the 3 (hence aggressive hedges, switching 1 through 5, and overplaying the 3 point line). Anything else he views as surrendering too many 3s to win.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2018, 01:50:45 PM »
Yeah gotta believe that if he’s at least already able to walk without crutches he should have a solid chance to play at somepoint soon.

Just prop him up at the 3-point line.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2018, 02:46:18 PM »
It's now known as a "driving boot".

Must be taking a page from Stainbrook's book.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2018, 04:08:16 PM »
With an injury like this, he's day to day. No one really knows how long it will take for him to come back, including Markus probably.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2018, 04:27:05 PM »
With an injury like this, he's day to day. No one really knows how long it will take for him to come back, including Markus probably.

That is pretty much what I unscientifically figured.

Hopefully for his sake he's not a side sleeper.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2018, 05:19:40 PM »
Just prop him up at the 3-point line.

That should help Markus avoid foul trouble.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2018, 05:34:58 PM »
That should help Markus avoid foul trouble.

Wouldn’t hurt his defense any

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2018, 06:33:43 PM »
It's official.....Markus out tonight

muguru

• All American
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2018, 06:41:38 PM »
It's official.....Markus out tonight

Ben Steele
‏Verified account @BenSteeleMJS
3m3 minutes ago

Ben Steele Retweeted MarquetteMBB

Markus Howard on sideline in jeans during MU's warmup. No crutches, making passes to teammates.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2018, 07:00:22 PM »

Ben Steele
‏Verified account @BenSteeleMJS
3m3 minutes ago

Ben Steele Retweeted MarquetteMBB

Markus Howard on sideline in jeans during MU's warmup. No crutches, making passes to teammates.

Came here to post that the team walked through the Courtside Club and no Markus.
Have some patience, FFS.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2018, 07:15:04 PM »
Where is the guy who ripped Theo for not trying to play...Christ Markus is throwing passes but he won't even suit up.  What a sissy.