collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Andrew Yang POTUS Candidate - "Self-Driving Cars Will Cause Riots In The Street"  (Read 16344 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
If I understand correctly, the robots will be doing everything while we all just sit around and do nothing?  What becomes our sense of purpose?  Work is a sense of purpose.  That sounds like population explosion potentially as people get it on, need for housing, transportation, and the rest.  One of the things that kept my wife limited on the number of kids was money, work, being tired from work.   Now we're saying money is no object, don't have to work, we're going to have all this time on our hands.

Thankfully I will be dead by the time this utopian existence is thrust upon us.  Feels like a very bad societal ending.

Right now most of the jobs that will be automated are should crushing repetitive task jobs.  Do Cashiers or Truckers really get a sense of purpose from their job?

And, again, history shows technology is a net creator of jobs.  Spreadsheets removed the soul crushing jobs of accounting clerk that just wrote numbers in ledgers and created a far more satisfying position of Financial Analyst.

Smart phones have created the gig economy.  Most Uber drivers have multiple jobs, not just the soul crushing job of driving people to the airport everyday.

Finally, technology lower costs.  Bill Gates once commented that in a few years 40,000/year will be enough to live the same lifestyle as $100,000+ Now.  Everything is going to get cheaper.  So, in the future, if you can eek out $3,500 a month (in bitcoin!) doing something you like, that might be much more fulfilling than driving a truck today.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
I guess she is the perfect woman - attractive, never turns down sexytime, and doesn't talk.

Do other patrons say "hey, nice bot on her"?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
I guess she is the perfect woman - attractive, never turns down sexytime, and doesn't talk.

but can she make a sammich?

warriorchick

• All American
but can she make a sammich?

That's what Grub Hub is for.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
That is damn interesting, Benny. 

Interesting how .. I thought .. truck drivers were not well paid, working for scraps.  That may be true .. but with massive shortages, you'd think they could demand a pretty good wage.   (Which would hasten the advent of robot drivers, of course..)
We are constantly looking for Truck Drivers and they make good coin.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American

What is good coin?  Net of any cost they incur.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/truck-driver-salary-SRCH_KO0,12.htm

Average .. $43k, which is just above the US' average of $39,400.   

And indeed, I'd like to know what their expenses are. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/truck-driver-salary-SRCH_KO0,12.htm

Average .. $43k, which is just above the US' average of $39,400.   

And indeed, I'd like to know what their expenses are.

$43k, barely move, away from family, expenses, bad food, very boring.

Gee, wonder why we have such a shortage of drivers?

drewm88

• All American
$43k, barely move, away from family, expenses, bad food, very boring.

Gee, wonder why we have such a shortage of drivers?

$43k, get to see the country, meet new people, can save on housing since you won't be there much, don't end the day physically exhausted.

I'm more on your side, but I can see its appeal to some people.

Pakuni

• All American
$43k, get to see the country, meet new people, can save on housing since you won't be there much, don't end the day physically exhausted.

Let's be honest - and I don't mean this condescendingly - the people who choose a career as a long-haul truck driver aren't opting between that and trial attorney, cardiac surgeon or professional golfer. They're generally lower-skilled, lesser-educated people with corresponding job opportunities. They're driving a truck or working in a warehouse, hanging plaster, painting houses, etc. These are all respectable ways to earn a living, but none are rife with excitement or what some of us would see as personal fulfillment.
So while some of the college-educated people here choose to look down their noses on the "very boring" careers of truck drivers, keep in mind that it's all relative to that person's likely career alternatives.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
Let's be honest - and I don't mean this condescendingly - the people who choose a career as a long-haul truck driver aren't opting between that and trial attorney, cardiac surgeon or professional golfer. They're generally lower-skilled, lesser-educated people with corresponding job opportunities. They're driving a truck or working in a warehouse, hanging plaster, painting houses, etc. These are all respectable ways to earn a living, but none are rife with excitement or what some of us would see as personal fulfillment.
So while some of the college-educated people here choose to look down their noses on the "very boring" careers of truck drivers, keep in mind that it's all relative to that person's likely career alternatives.

Totally agree here.  $43k is squarely an average salary for a large section US citizens.  It's hard to remember that ~75% of the employment force has only achieved a HS diploma -- not to mention another 15% who have community college/2 year degrees, opening up higher salary ranges. 

MU82

• All American
Finally, technology lower costs.  Bill Gates once commented that in a few years 40,000/year will be enough to live the same lifestyle as $100,000+ Now.  Everything is going to get cheaper.  So, in the future, if you can eek out $3,500 a month (in bitcoin!) doing something you like, that might be much more fulfilling than driving a truck today.

I agree with much of your post, but I'm not sure I agree with you (or more accurately, Gates) here.

25 years ago, my total "media" bill - cable TV, a newspaper, local/long-distance phone service - was about $75/month, and it was all my family needed or wanted. Now, our media bill - TV, wireless internet, cellphones, newspaper, music, apps - is about $350. And there are only two of us, so we don't even have spring for phones for our kids. Nor am including the cost of the actual tools - laptops, tablets, etc. Yes, there has been inflation, but the latter figure represents about twice as high a percentage of our pay. Technology has significantly raised most family's media costs.

Beyond that, health care is the great wild card. My wife could have retired 5 years ago except for concerns about health-care costs, which have only gone up since then. Doesn't matter if it's pre-Obamacare, ACA or whatever TrumpCare evolves into, there is no end in sight.

It seems that technological advances only make health care MORE expensive - there are more ways to keep people healthy and/or alive, and those ways cost big money.

Example: Just this month, my wife needed surgery to remove cataracts in both eyes. In the past, it was a relatively cheap expense covered mostly by insurance. But now, they have great lenses that work better ... but insurance doesn't cover them. They're her eyes. She needs them to work well. So we paid thousands and thousands and thousands more for the upgraded lenses.

Increases in health-care costs have totally overshadowed the raises my wife has gotten at work. There is no end to the increases, and there does not seem to be political will for universal health care (even though the current occupant of the WH said several times on the campaign trail that "we must have" it).

My wife and I are not rich, but we are comfortable; health care is the only thing that makes me nervous about our financial futures. I don't see how robots will alleviate those costs. Indeed, I do see how they could increase them.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
I agree with much of your post, but I'm not sure I agree with you (or more accurately, Gates) here.

25 years ago, my total "media" bill - cable TV, a newspaper, local/long-distance phone service - was about $75/month, and it was all my family needed or wanted. Now, our media bill - TV, wireless internet, cellphones, newspaper, music, apps - is about $350. And there are only two of us, so we don't even have spring for phones for our kids. Nor am including the cost of the actual tools - laptops, tablets, etc. Yes, there has been inflation, but the latter figure represents about twice as high a percentage of our pay. Technology has significantly raised most family's media costs.

Beyond that, health care is the great wild card. My wife could have retired 5 years ago except for concerns about health-care costs, which have only gone up since then. Doesn't matter if it's pre-Obamacare, ACA or whatever TrumpCare evolves into, there is no end in sight.

It seems that technological advances only make health care MORE expensive - there are more ways to keep people healthy and/or alive, and those ways cost big money.

Example: Just this month, my wife needed surgery to remove cataracts in both eyes. In the past, it was a relatively cheap expense covered mostly by insurance. But now, they have great lenses that work better ... but insurance doesn't cover them. They're her eyes. She needs them to work well. So we paid thousands and thousands and thousands more for the upgraded lenses.

Increases in health-care costs have totally overshadowed the raises my wife has gotten at work. There is no end to the increases, and there does not seem to be political will for universal health care (even though the current occupant of the WH said several times on the campaign trail that "we must have" it).

My wife and I are not rich, but we are comfortable; health care is the only thing that makes me nervous about our financial futures. I don't see how robots will alleviate those costs. Indeed, I do see how they could increase them.

Gates has argued, and I agree, that disruption is coming to the health insurance industry.  See the Amazon, Berkshire and JP Morgan announcement on getting into the healthcare industry.  See how that announcement knocked $40 billion off the healthcare stocks.

Regarding the price you pay for intellectual property , like your cable bill, cryptos and al-la carte pricing is coming.

So be patient grasshopper, the disruption is coming and prices are coming down.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Good job Smuggles, you got another topic locked with your hysteria.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
A few more and I’ll catch the reigning champion ... MU82

Tugg Speedman

• All American

True but what we do not know is expenses.  Who pays for those truck stop meals? nights in a hotel? Other expenses?  So what is the “net” income of a trucker?

As noted above, the country has an acute shortage of Truckers.  I think that is the answer.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
No longhaul trucker is making $43K in just a 40 hour work week although now with E-logs they at least can't cheat on their HOS.

MU82

• All American

AAPL - $172.43
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American

Listen.  You both need to knock off the political BS!  Period.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Listen.  You both need to knock off the political BS!  Period.

I'm done, will now only report so political threads can be killed off after 1 post.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
Yep, new guidelines:  If MU82 or Tugg open a non-basketball thread, it will be locked instantly. 

Even if it's about Arby's, which cannot be discussed enough. 

Pakuni

• All American
Even if it's about Arby's, which cannot be discussed enough.

You're a monster.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
I'm done, will now only report so political threads can be killed off after 1 post.

Another... I'm gonna quote your pm here for all to see.

Are you saying knock off the right-wing political arguments or all political arguments? 

Becuase I don't see you calling out 82, TSmith, Jesmu (who wished violence on gun owners) Pukuni, Sultan etc.  You seem to let lefty political threads run until I jump in with a right-wing argument and then close it and call me out.

Make you a deal, I'm done with politics, and I'll report all political threads so you can shut down IMMEDIATELY to kill it all off for good.  (hint, any post with the title of "gun" don't even bother reading it, just close it).

The appropriate thing to do is report political posts. The wrong thing to do is respond with more politics and throw fits about how everyone else doesn't get in trouble.

I barely read superbar threads, and you can't assume a moderator has seen anything until you report it.  2nd, you're blind if you think we just let posts about the current president go. There are plenty of rips on Obama left on the board (if you'd care to search)... you need to let crap go...clearly we do!  Finally, you have no idea we've warned other folks (hint, lots), so stop playing the victim.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
That was a real lack of class that you posted my PM.  That was supposed to be between me and you.

Okay, I'll do it again then.  You know what the real lack of class is? You messing up my long weekend with BS! Stop disrespecting our rules.

StillAWarrior

• All American
Okay, I'll do it again then.  You know what the real lack of class is? You messing up my long weekend with BS! Stop disrespecting our rules.

I'm not defending Heisy here, and I agree with you.  I would like nothing more on 'Scoop than to see the politics stop.

But, unless there's something posted elsewhere that I don't know about, the "rule" stated on the pinned thread is:  "Anything political posted here will be swiftly removed, and if you violate the rule too frequently, you'll find yourself without a place to post."

Respectfully, if you have a rule that is only kind of enforced, you honestly shouldn't be terribly surprised that people violate it  (and that is not a reference to selective or biased enforcement).  The rule, as posted, is a strict prohibition.  The rule, as applied, is politics is allowed until it goes to far.  What could go wrong?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback