[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 07:47:06 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: American heroes  (Read 24155 times)

MU82

• All American
American heroes
« on: January 29, 2018, 09:52:04 AM »
Several gymnasts and others involved in the horrific Nassar situation credited the diligent, thorough, relentless reporting of the Indianapolis Star for ending the cycle of abuse and bringing Nassar to justice.

Angela Povilaitis, Michigan’s assistant attorney general, said at the sentencing hearing:

“What finally started this reckoning and ended this decades-long cycle of abuse was investigative reporting. Without The Star’s reporting, he would still be practicing medicine, treating athletes and abusing kids.”

Three Star reporters, including a friend of mine, Mark Alesia, headed the investigation. But I also give significant credit to the higher-ups at the paper, who committed considerable economic resources to the pursuit of truth and justice. Unfortunately, in these difficult financial times for newspapers, that is getting rarer and rarer.

The Charlotte Observer has laid off dozens of reporters in the 7 1/2 years I've lived here. Nevertheless, the Observer's skeleton crew has put together several outstanding investigative reports that have informed and inspired changes. Most recently, its series on how severe understaffing at prisons leads to deaths to guards and prisoners convinced the state legislature that changes to the system are necessary.

Recent movies have highlighted the immensely important work done by the Boston Globe (priest sex scandal) and Washington Post /NY Times (Pentagon papers).

Most of us without our heads in the sand know about the excellent political reporting the Post and NYT have been doing the last year or two. Americans owe them a debt of gratitude.

These are some big stories, but local newspapers do important journalism all the time. There are other news organizations also doing good work, but it is our mainstream newspapers that are most committed to this kind of investigative journalism.

I am not claiming these newspapers are infallible. They have made mistakes. When it happens, they issue corrections or, in extreme cases, retractions. Those are EXTREMELY rare. The vast, vast, VAST majority of these reports end up making a real difference in our country and our world. Nassar denied charges repeatedly ... until the evidence uncovered by the Star made those denials ring hollow.

Even though discounts are available, and I could get a much cheaper online-only subscription, I continue to pay full-price for my print edition of the Observer. Part of that is because I happen to like reading an actual newspaper; but mostly it is because I view it as one small way to support an institution that I believe plays a crucial role for our republic.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

There are some who relentlessly attack the media, even want to limit its work. Thank goodness for the First Amendment!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: American heroes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 11:07:38 AM »
Several gymnasts and others involved in the horrific Nassar situation credited the diligent, thorough, relentless reporting of the Indianapolis Star for ending the cycle of abuse and bringing Nassar to justice.

Angela Povilaitis, Michigan’s assistant attorney general, said at the sentencing hearing:

“What finally started this reckoning and ended this decades-long cycle of abuse was investigative reporting. Without The Star’s reporting, he would still be practicing medicine, treating athletes and abusing kids.”

Three Star reporters, including a friend of mine, Mark Alesia, headed the investigation. But I also give significant credit to the higher-ups at the paper, who committed considerable economic resources to the pursuit of truth and justice. Unfortunately, in these difficult financial times for newspapers, that is getting rarer and rarer.

The Charlotte Observer has laid off dozens of reporters in the 7 1/2 years I've lived here. Nevertheless, the Observer's skeleton crew has put together several outstanding investigative reports that have informed and inspired changes. Most recently, its series on how severe understaffing at prisons leads to deaths to guards and prisoners convinced the state legislature that changes to the system are necessary.

Recent movies have highlighted the immensely important work done by the Boston Globe (priest sex scandal) and Washington Post /NY Times (Pentagon papers).

Most of us without our heads in the sand know about the excellent political reporting the Post and NYT have been doing the last year or two. Americans owe them a debt of gratitude.

These are some big stories, but local newspapers do important journalism all the time. There are other news organizations also doing good work, but it is our mainstream newspapers that are most committed to this kind of investigative journalism.

I am not claiming these newspapers are infallible. They have made mistakes. When it happens, they issue corrections or, in extreme cases, retractions. Those are EXTREMELY rare. The vast, vast, VAST majority of these reports end up making a real difference in our country and our world. Nassar denied charges repeatedly ... until the evidence uncovered by the Star made those denials ring hollow.

Even though discounts are available, and I could get a much cheaper online-only subscription, I continue to pay full-price for my print edition of the Observer. Part of that is because I happen to like reading an actual newspaper; but mostly it is because I view it as one small way to support an institution that I believe plays a crucial role for our republic.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

There are some who relentlessly attack the media, even want to limit its work. Thank goodness for the First Amendment!
The NY Times and Washington Post have zero journalist standards anymore. They are not worthy of first amendment protection as they are just purveyors of slander and libel and pure hypocrites of the highest order. The New York Times in particular hides behind a dual class voting structure that entrenches their founding family. It is sheer financial apartheid.

I prefer the NY Post. They are the last bastion of journalism.  Don't judge a book by its cover.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 11:09:12 AM »
Vive' la difference!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 11:13:02 AM »
The NY Times and Washington Post have zero journalist standards anymore. They are not worthy of first amendment protection as they are just purveyors of slander and libel and pure hypocrites of the highest order. The New York Times in particular hides behind a dual class voting structure that entrenches their founding family. It is sheer financial apartheid.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 11:20:11 AM »
Yet, the local college town papers sit on their asses and are continuously scooped.  If are going to be a puff piece rag, this sinks all ships.

The Lansing State Journal had all this information for years and sat on it.  I remember they ran a piece on Izzo when he paid Branden Dawson's AAU coach for travel and coaching camp (leading to an Izzo suspension), but it didn't fit Izzo's narrative of being a victim. I linked it here on Scoop, but within an hour, they took it down.

One doesn't have to look too far to see the same pattern in Wisconsin.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 11:30:14 AM »
Yet, the local college town papers sit on their asses and are continuously scooped.  If are going to be a puff piece rag, this sinks all ships.

The Lansing State Journal had all this information for years and sat on it.  I remember they ran a piece on Izzo when he paid Branden Dawson's AAU coach for travel and coaching camp (leading to an Izzo suspension), but it didn't fit Izzo's narrative of being a victim. I linked it here on Scoop, but within an hour, they took it down.

One doesn't have to look too far to see the same pattern in Wisconsin.

Yep.  Local sports drives a lot of these subscriptions, and if you don't get access you are out in the cold.  Furthermore most of them are staffed with kids right out of school or old farts who have been around forever.  Doing an investigative journalism piece isn't exactly in their skill set.

The big national media outlets don't have to worry about that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 12:08:12 PM »

Yep.  Local sports drives a lot of these subscriptions, and if you don't get access you are out in the cold.  Furthermore most of them are staffed with kids right out of school or old farts who have been around forever.  Doing an investigative journalism piece isn't exactly in their skill set.

The big national media outlets don't have to worry about that.

Yep.  Hardly "American Heroes", though.

One thing I may disagree with is the skill set.  These hometown rags know all of this plus more by being local.  The Bo Ryan escapade is a prime example.  Same with MSU.  No further investigation was needed, but they sure put a lot of resources toward smoothing it over.

One question for Mike.  I liked "The Post", but I felt the better story would have been about the NYT as the lead.  (I know it's Hollywood). How do you feel?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »
Yep.  Hardly "American Heroes", though.

One thing I may disagree with is the skill set.  These hometown rags know all of this plus more by being local.  The Bo Ryan escapade is a prime example.  Same with MSU.  No further investigation was needed, but they sure put a lot of resources toward smoothing it over.

One question for Mike.  I liked "The Post", but I felt the better story would have been about the NYT as the lead.  (I know it's Hollywood). How do you feel?

That's an interesting hypothesis. I think that at the time, the Post was a family operation that was regarded as more of a red-headed stepchild while the NYT was Goliath. So for the Post to be able to advance the story as they did, it was more of a "feat." But yeah, it was the NYT's story from the get-go, and they said as much in the movie.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 01:48:38 PM »
I prefer the NY Post. They are the last bastion of journalism.

Oh c'mon, 9-9-9. Don't sell some other bastions of journalism you probably like short: Alex Jones' Infowars and Fox & Friends.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 02:16:29 PM »
Oh c'mon, 9-9-9. Don't sell some other bastions of journalism you probably like short: Alex Jones' Infowars and Fox & Friends.
If it ain't on Breitbart, it ain't worth reading
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 02:45:46 PM »

I prefer the NY Post. They are the last bastion of journalism.  Don't judge a book by its cover.

Sheer lunacy!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 03:18:45 PM »
Sheer lunacy!
Friendly reminder that he does performance art, not actual opinion.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 05:49:17 PM »

The NY Times and Washington Post have zero journalist standards anymore. They are not worthy of first amendment protection as they are just purveyors of slander and libel and pure hypocrites of the highest order.

I sure hope this is implied teal, because if it isn't - wow.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 05:52:52 PM »
Sheer lunacy!

Have you seen the typical liberal media member's neck? Shameful!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 10:30:25 AM »

For some reason I love that movie Top Secret.  There's a line in the movie about the guy who handles the torture and has the crossed eyes, "This is Klaus, he only believe what he reads in the New York Post."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 06:56:04 PM »
Headless Body In Topless Bar

Best Post headline ever!

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 06:25:14 AM »
Headless Body In Topless Bar

Best Post headline ever!

A gal on my Match.com site had as her tagline, "If you don't look like your profile pic, you're buying drinks until you do!"
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 11:49:25 AM »
The good news is that Americans are recognizing these heroes.

The New York Times Co. (NYSE:NYT) is up 9.2% and tagged a new 10-year high today on Q4 earnings where a sharp increase in subscriptions outweighed ad declines and boosted revenues by double digits.

Adjusted EPS grew 30% to $0.39; adjusted operating profit was up to $108.3M due to strong digital subscription revenues (up by $100M), and the impact of a 14th week in the quarter.

The company added 99,000 net digital news subs and 157,000 net digital-only subs.

Revenue breakout: Subscription, $269.4M (up 19.2%); Advertising, $182.6M (down 1.3%).

So even as advertising revenue is ticking down, subscription revenue is soaring.

One can debate the accomplishments of The Very Stable Genius, but one thing is undebatable: He has been a major boon to the likes of the NYT, WaPo and WSJ.

Thankfully, even in the face of attacks against the First Amendment by some of our nation's most powerful people, millions of Americans actually care about factual facts (as opposed to the alternate variety).

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 12:48:03 PM »

One can debate the accomplishments of The Very Stable Genius, but one thing is undebatable: He has been a major boon to the likes of the NYT, WaPo and WSJ.

Thankfully, even in the face of attacks against the First Amendment by some of our nation's most powerful people, millions of Americans actually care about factual facts (as opposed to the alternate variety).

Yep.  Increased subscription rates for those papers is a very encouraging sign.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 05:01:02 PM »

thank you for the balance herman!  this is what happens when certain belief systems take over a blog

hey, they did a great service to the public with their stories revealing some scum bags.  they also did their job.  this is what they are supposed to do.  i wish we would see more investigative reporting like this as opposed to the "censorship" they've been exhibiting.  journalism is dead. there are so many issues occurring out there in which the public needs to be made aware of, but if they don't fit the agenda, they never see the light of day. they've lost all standards that were once purported at least. 

i'm not even going to cite which sources i trust and rely on for most of my information because it doesn't matter as i can just hear the cacophony of ridicule before i even hit the post button.  where most of you get your information is not of any interest to me, but i respect your choices as i would hope you respect mine.  most of you here are well aware that not many opinions are changed here, but i believe "heroes" is a tad strong
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 05:16:58 PM »
thank you for the balance herman!  this is what happens when certain belief systems take over a blog

That's not balance and this isn't a blog.  Nice effort though.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 05:20:55 PM »
journalism is dead.

Wrong.

I guess you didn't hear about journalists breaking open the Nassar case and the many other situations cited here and elsewhere. Or you simply chose not to.

Journalists are helping to hold this country together. They have dedicated their whole lives to informing the American public.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 05:34:50 PM »
Yeah I was going to say, journalism is most definitely NOT dead.  Newspapers may be struggling, but newspapers are not all the same and it's just a medium anyway.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 05:38:56 PM »
  "Journalists are helping to hold this country together."

oh my goodness...some may actually believe this, but that's ok

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 05:47:40 PM »

That's not balance and this isn't a blog.  Nice effort though.

so says the board bully, really? blog-forum-scoop-message board-rumor mill-wiki...that really bothered you so much that you had to object?

oh, and i found this little description while searching for an adjective for muscoop-

" On Jaunary 25, 2005, Tim Blair and Marquette92 formed a “blog” on Marquette basketball. It quickly became a must-read website for Warrior fans, with articles on recruits, pre- and post-game analysis, statistical analysis, clips of articles around the web, and other original content. Since its inception ..."

have a good one!