[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: American heroes  (Read 24124 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: American heroes
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2018, 12:28:43 AM »
One of the most enlightening and important things I learned at Marquette was critical thinking.  It wasn't any particular class, it was that I had a group of friends that could sniff out stupid from a mile away and would challenge that stupidity.   If you were going to come with a hot opinion you'd better be prepared with facts, and be prepared to defend your point. It made you really examine your ideas, and determine if they are correct and worth defending, or if you need to change your view because you've learned something new.

Differing opinions are fine.  But if you are going to repeat things you heard in the echo chamber you better be prepared for other people to challenge those opinions and kick the crap out of illogical, false, or stupid narratives.  When people disagree with your statements, instead of defending them (or, god forbid, learning something new) you whine and act like you're being persecuted. 

If you don't want people to disagree with you you can go the boards of those news sources of yours and never hear anything that will upset your little boat.

mr. smith, it's not the differing opinions that bothers me.  it's how those with differing opinions attack those with alternate thoughts.  i have no problem having a conversation with someone who can do it respectfully.  i treat others as they treat me
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2018, 08:46:57 AM »
mr. smith, it's not the differing opinions that bothers me.  it's how those with differing opinions attack those with alternate thoughts.  i have no problem having a conversation with someone who can do it respectfully.  i treat others as they treat me

Right out of the playbook.  Now you're made yourself the victim.

Still haven't defended your argument, and seem to be purposefully avoiding the conversation that you claim to want to have.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2018, 09:13:53 AM »

No your problem is that you make absurd statements like "journalism is dead," yet when you are called on it, act like the snowiest snowflake that ever snowflaked.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2018, 11:15:39 AM »
More journalism that is alive and well, as the Charlotte Observer exposes years of neglect and abuse of kids at a local psychiatric hospital:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article199343444.html#emlnl=Morning_Newsletter

Maybe rocketman thinks the public simply doesn't need to find out about stuff like this.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2018, 04:30:02 PM »
More journalism that is alive and well, as the Charlotte Observer exposes years of neglect and abuse of kids at a local psychiatric hospital:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article199343444.html#emlnl=Morning_Newsletter

Maybe rocketman thinks the public simply doesn't need to find out about stuff like this.

come on man-journalists have become so partisan, they don't even realize it.  when all their friends are of one persuasion, they can't understand how someone can believe any differently. they ignored "fly-over america during much of their polling and guess what?  they got it wrong...really really wrong.  well over 90% of journalists who will admit their political stance are democrat. 

yes, the stories you point out are important, but those aren't the end all be all by any means.  regardless of whether or not one is pro POTUS or not, the mainstream media's approval rating is below 35%,  46% of the people believe they(the media) make up stories about POTUS, and over 90% of their stories on POTUS are negative.

REALLY?  90%?  hell, then they must have been in love with dubbya and we all know they basically dry humped the big "O"'s leg

saritha prabhu is a self-admitted liberal who is an columnist for the tennessean is one of a few who've opined about her peers that they have lost this-

"  Professional integrity is the cornerstone of a journalist's credibility. The Radio Television Digital News Association, an organization exclusively centered on electronic journalism, maintains a code of ethics centering on—public trust, truthfulness, fairness, integrity, independence, and accountability."

i really don't mean this personally 82, but if you think professional integrity among journalists exists more than not, you are part of the problem and it will never get better. 

there are many other stories that go un-reported(read censorship) or reported as news when they are merely editorials to go along with your "lead in the water" stories in which the public would be better served

the most recent bias can be seen in the coverage of the winter olympics-they're making kim jong un's sister look like a foreign dignitary

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2018, 04:35:03 PM »
come on man-journalists have become so partisan, they don't even realize it.  when all their friends are of one persuasion, they can't understand how someone can believe any differently. they ignored "fly-over america during much of their polling and guess what?  they got it wrong...really really wrong.  well over 90% of journalists who will admit their political stance are democrat. 

yes, the stories you point out are important, but those aren't the end all be all by any means.  regardless of whether or not one is pro POTUS or not, the mainstream media's approval rating is below 35%,  46% of the people believe they(the media) make up stories about POTUS, and over 90% of their stories on POTUS are negative.

REALLY?  90%?  hell, then they must have been in love with dubbya and we all know they basically dry humped the big "O"'s leg

saritha prabhu is a self-admitted liberal who is an columnist for the tennessean is one of a few who've opined about her peers that they have lost this-

"  Professional integrity is the cornerstone of a journalist's credibility. The Radio Television Digital News Association, an organization exclusively centered on electronic journalism, maintains a code of ethics centering on—public trust, truthfulness, fairness, integrity, independence, and accountability."

i really don't mean this personally 82, but if you think professional integrity among journalists exists more than not, you are part of the problem and it will never get better. 

there are many other stories that go un-reported(read censorship) or reported as news when they are merely editorials to go along with your "lead in the water" stories in which the public would be better served

the most recent bias can be seen in the coverage of the winter olympics-they're making kim jong un's sister look like a foreign dignitary

I'm trying to figure out if this statement is more ironic or more idiotic.  It's pretty close.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2018, 04:49:09 PM »

Since words have meanings:
dignitary
[dig-ni-ter-ee]
a person who holds a high rank or office, as in the government or church.

Now, could you cite some specific examples of how the media treatment of her is evidence of bias?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2018, 06:18:51 PM »

Ah, so you don't like the news as its reported so its the media's fault.  Got it.

There are take down pieces on terrible people everyday.  I don't remember the media going easy on Weinstein because he is a liberal.

GET OUT OF YOUR ECHO CHAMBER AND COME BACK TO THE REAL WORLD.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2018, 06:24:45 PM »
Since words have meanings:
dignitary
[dig-ni-ter-ee]
a person who holds a high rank or office, as in the government or church.

Now, could you cite some specific examples of how the media treatment of her is evidence of bias?

Hey, that's what he sees the problem as. The media telling the truth.

How dare the media portray a dignitary as a dignitary?

Obvious Liberal media bias.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2018, 07:18:58 PM »
I think there are two views of NK's involvement in the olympics:
1 - They are an atrocious regime that needs to be isolated and admonished at every turn.  The USA has been extremely vocal on this point and if one of our most important allies in the region (South Korea), and/or any US based news organization, shows them any courtesy it is a bias against the current US President.
2 - They are an atrocious regime that needs to be isolated and admonished.  However, the olympics is a venue where sport should bring us together as human beings on the same planet and - just maybe - some good will come from these 2 weeks of seeing the best in athletes from around the globe.  Reporting on this, or SK being accepting of it, may foster the good on both sides.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2018, 08:21:29 PM »
Ah, so you don't like the news as its reported so its the media's fault.  Got it.

There are take down pieces on terrible people everyday.  I don't remember the media going easy on Weinstein because he is a liberal.

This.

Apparently, like The Very Stable Genius - and Stalin - rocketman believes the media are the enemy of the state.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2018, 08:29:40 PM »

i agree there are legitimate news stories written on people on both sides.  i do not argue from an absolutist position. 
see, here once again;  why is it that i'm in an echo chamber?  let's just say it's my perception and therefore my reality.  and no, i'm not a victim.  i am ultimately in control of what happens to me more or less through my actions.  i am not going to allow any politician control my happiness.  i have to accept the things i can change and change the things i can.  i have to behave under the laws put forth regardless of who's in charge-life goes on, enn'a so?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2018, 08:33:35 PM »
This.

Apparently, like The Very Stable Genius - and Stalin - rocketman believes the media are the enemy of the state.

ya see, now this is the gang mentality i was talking about-no need to personalize this.  the media is the enemy of the state?  not quite.  actually, from my perspective, the media and the state are pretty tight and that's where i take issue-there's a lot going on in the "state" that we the people need to be made aware of-such as the lead in the water, etc etc

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2018, 10:09:16 PM »

Drumpf has spent his entire presidency delegitimizing the press (excepting Fox of course), a very dangerous and anti-democratic path that typically is seen in authoritarian regimes.   Should we really be following in the footsteps of Putin and his ilk?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2018, 10:29:16 PM »
ya see, now this is the gang mentality i was talking about-no need to personalize this.  the media is the enemy of the state?  not quite.  actually, from my perspective, the media and the state are pretty tight and that's where i take issue-there's a lot going on in the "state" that we the people need to be made aware of-such as the lead in the water, etc etc

Glad you agree with me! It's about time. Welcome to the light side of the force!

Journalism is not dead. Real journalism (like Obi-wan) is our only hope!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2018, 08:05:28 AM »

I agree!  Journalists broke the story of the lead in the water.  We're only saying that people can't simply dismiss news from legitimate sources as fake news because they don't like the content.  There are a ton of reputable news organizations out there, and they are typically the ones that have a long history.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2018, 09:36:32 AM »
Journalists = good if they break news we like.

Journalists = bad if they break news we don't like.

Sigh.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2018, 12:18:40 PM »
I agree!  Journalists broke the story of the lead in the water.  We're only saying that people can't simply dismiss news from legitimate sources as fake news because they don't like the content.  There are a ton of reputable news organizations out there, and they are typically the ones that have a long history.

..and there is the rub. Ones reputable news source is another "fake news". Journalism has lost its way as they are not interested in the truth only in the number of clicks, ratings or subscriptions to sell adds. If they were interested in exposing corruption and wrong doing it would not matter what party was in power or the demographic of the victim or the perpetrator. The only thing that should matter is that wrong doing be exposed.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2018, 12:37:34 PM »
..and there is the rub. Ones reputable news source is another "fake news". Journalism has lost its way as they are not interested in the truth only in the number of clicks, ratings or subscriptions to sell adds. If they were interested in exposing corruption and wrong doing it would not matter what party was in power or the demographic of the victim or the perpetrator. The only thing that should matter is that wrong doing be exposed.

People who say things like this typically view the truth as only what they believe or want to believe.
They also tend to believe the media is covering up Pizzagate and Seth Rich's true killers.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 12:40:13 PM by Pakuni »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2018, 01:27:45 PM »
People who say things like this typically view the truth as only what they believe or want to believe.
They also tend to believe the media is covering up Pizzagate and Seth Rich's true killers.

Exactly.  For them it is partisan.  Never mind that Obama was squeaky clean, and its been 18 years since Bill Clinton was in office.

The media absolutely savaged Bill Clinton, deservedly so. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2018, 01:30:46 PM »

Al Franken fell off the planet pretty quickly due to media.

Its such a bologna argument to say the media is under reporting one party.  Maybe, just MAYBE the party getting the cheese grater right now did some nefarious stuff, and that is what they are reporting.

I don't see these guys who are stepping down from the WH fighting back legally when they are accused of Domestic Abuse.  So they news isn't fake, its just unfortunate if you think of politics as a team sport, and your 'team' is 'losing'.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2018, 02:35:09 PM »
Journalism has lost its way as they are not interested in the truth only in the number of clicks, ratings or subscriptions to sell adds. If they were interested in exposing corruption and wrong doing it would not matter what party was in power or the demographic of the victim or the perpetrator. The only thing that should matter is that wrong doing be exposed.

You are sounding almost as uneducated as Brain Surgeon. A low bar to be sure, but you are getting close.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2018, 05:56:12 PM »
Journalists = good if they break news we like.

Journalists = bad if they break news we don't like.

Sigh.

There is some truth to that.

CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC clearly spin to their core audience.  Your old employer, The Red Star was notorious for that too.  I tend to not believe any news outlet any more.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »
Journalism has lost its way as they are not interested in the truth only in the number of clicks, ratings or subscriptions to sell adds. If they were interested in exposing corruption and wrong doing it would not matter what party was in power or the demographic of the victim or the perpetrator. The only thing that should matter is that wrong doing be exposed.

Overgeneralization of "journalism," and just plain wrong for all the reasons others have already mentioned.

There is some truth to that.

Your old employer, The Red Star was notorious for that too.

Who was my old employer and why was it The Red Star?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2018, 07:55:54 PM »
Overgeneralization of "journalism," and just plain wrong for all the reasons others have already mentioned.

Who was my old employer and why was it The Red Star?

Nickname for Star Tribune.

feedback