[Today at 07:56:19 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Froling's role in conference play  (Read 31385 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Froling's role in conference play
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2018, 09:35:44 PM »
Too early to conclude anything.

Gotta give it 4-5 years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2018, 10:07:43 AM »
I've seen some flashes from him. He's had some good passes and a few smooth moves under the bucket. His shot is ugly right now and his defense was never supposed to be good. He's actually a better ball handler than I expected him to be (which were very low expectations).

Harry still seems a little shell shocked being out there. I think he improves as the season goes on. But I will admit that I put my expectations too high at this point.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2018, 10:13:54 AM »
Lest we all forget...

This is the same site that wanted Katin (myself included) glued to the bench the whole season after game 6 of last year.

Matt Car3no... dude was the worst transfer ever according to this site after a meer 3 games or so.

-- am I pleased with Harry? Naaah not really, there is a lot to be desired but as someone mentioned earlier, jay bilas really talked him up.
Let's give him a bit more than 4 games.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2018, 06:46:50 PM »
Lest we all forget...

This is the same site that wanted Katin (myself included) glued to the bench the whole season after game 6 of last year.

Matt Car3no... dude was the worst transfer ever according to this site after a meer 3 games or so.

-- am I pleased with Harry? Naaah not really, there is a lot to be desired but as someone mentioned earlier, jay bilas really talked him up.
Let's give him a bit more than 4 games.
Trent Lockett, hey?
Goal is National Championship

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2018, 09:09:26 PM »
I don't think Harry is going to be either a Carlino or a Lockett.
I'm hoping, hoping, but so far underwhelmed.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2018, 09:16:35 PM »
His n sacars 3s are absolutely wasted possesions
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2018, 09:19:33 PM »
I've seen some flashes from him. He's had some good passes and a few smooth moves under the bucket. His shot is ugly right now and his defense was never supposed to be good. He's actually a better ball handler than I expected him to be (which were very low expectations).

Harry still seems a little shell shocked being out there. I think he improves as the season goes on. But I will admit that I put my expectations too high at this point.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2018, 09:20:34 PM »
You have to run somebody out there.    Heldt and Theo had foul trouble.    Harry is still working his way up to speed, no doubt.   IMO, still way to early to give up on him 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2018, 09:23:04 PM »

I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2018, 09:28:36 PM »
You have to run somebody out there.    Heldt and Theo had foul trouble.    Harry is still working his way up to speed, no doubt.   IMO, still way to early to give up on him

True, too early to give up on him, but definitely far enough in to rein in the talk of 20+ minutes, 12 and 8, and changing the offense kind of talk.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2018, 09:29:54 PM »

Dont disagree but him chucking 3s and thinking he is an offensive weapon needs to be curtailed.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2018, 09:31:23 PM »
Akin to al telling dick nixon he wasnt allowed to shoot. Same with sacar on 3s, hes shooting less than 5%.  Stop shooting 3s sacar!!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2018, 09:31:38 PM »
True, too early to give up on him, but definitely far enough in to rein in the talk of 20+ minutes, 12 and 8, and changing the offense kind of talk.
Clearly, we were overly optimistic.    However, I stated it elsewhere and I will say it again here.   By the end of the year, he will be getting the most minutes among the 3 bigs.    And yes, today, he made a shot and then tried to take over.   At least he tried to take over.  I view that as a positive, though it didn't work.   Tonight. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2018, 11:08:38 PM »
15 games to go.   Let's revisit this thread in 3-4 weeks.    I think he will progress.

Not sure we need much more time to see the direction Wojo is going. Heldt and John are playing much better and with more confidence while Harry continues to struggle to find a role. His outside game was clearly over-hyped and needs to be shut down immediately by Wojo. Offense is generally ugly, and his offensive fouls are inexcusable. There's a lot of work left to do with Harry before he sees consistent minutes in the Big East.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2018, 11:17:52 PM »
Not sure we need much more time to see the direction Wojo is going. Heldt and John are playing much better and with more confidence while Harry continues to struggle to find a role. His outside game was clearly over-hyped and needs to be shut down immediately by Wojo. Offense is generally ugly, and his offensive fouls are inexcusable. There's a lot of work left to do with Harry before he sees consistent minutes in the Big East.

Well he's gotten 7 or more minutes in every Big East game so depending on your definition of consistent I think you might be off.

Harry's outside game should not be shut down. It's there, we know it is. And a 7 footer who can shoot threes is too valuable to just give up on a few games into his career. His shot looks good, they are smart shots in the flow of the offense. It will click for him eventually and our offense will be even more dangerous.

I'm frustrated with him too, but I'm not willing to write him off 7 games in.
TAMU

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2018, 11:24:06 PM »
Well he's gotten 7 or more minutes in every Big East game so depending on your definition of consistent I think you might be off.

Harry's outside game should not be shut down. It's there, we know it is. And a 7 footer who can shoot threes is too valuable to just give up on a few games into his career. His shot looks good, they are smart shots in the flow of the offense. It will click for him eventually and our offense will be even more dangerous.

I'm frustrated with him too, but I'm not willing to write him off 7 games in.

I was thinking more along the lines of 15 minutes when I said consistent. 7 is probably fine for now, but I don't want to see his minutes increase much more until he learns to limit the TOs and the fouls.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about the outside game. Lonzo Ball has an ugly shot, but it goes in. Harry may not have an ugly shot, but he can't make shots. That's a problem. Good form with bad aim doesn't accomplish much. His touch inside is even pretty rough, as evidenced again tonight.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2018, 11:28:43 PM »
Agree that he needs to cut down on the turnovers and fouls, however I will say one thing about his fouls. He's one of the only guys on this team who knows how to foul hard. I've seen it at least three times when he has challenged a shooter at the rim he makes sure that there is no chance that it becomes an and one.
TAMU

Norm

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2018, 11:46:49 PM »
Froling was terrible tonight. I hope he improves but he has shown nothing to justify more than 5 minutes at this point.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2018, 06:06:43 AM »
I actually thought Froling played better last night than in previous games.  Sure, his shots weren?t falling (one of which led to the Greg put-back slam), but the fact he was taking them was enough to disrupt the defense.  You gotta respect a guy who can shoot, and most bigs aren?t used to covering their man on the perimeter.  It opens everything inside.  Plus, the two-big defensive looks with Harry and Theo are really tough to beat, and he rebounded well.  No stupid turnovers or moments of indecision like we?ve seen in other games.

When that shot starts going in...watch out Big East

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2018, 06:16:43 AM »
I actually thought Froling played better last night than in previous games.  Sure, his shots weren?t falling (one of which led to the Greg put-back slam), but the fact he was taking them was enough to disrupt the defense.  You gotta respect a guy who can shoot, and most bigs aren?t used to covering their man on the perimeter.  It opens everything inside.  Plus, the two-big defensive looks with Harry and Theo are really tough to beat, and he rebounded well.  No stupid turnovers or moments of indecision like we?ve seen in other games.

When that shot starts going in...watch out Big East
That?s my take from watching him at the BC last night.  Now, he is never going to be a sky walker or whatever, but he can be a real contributor.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2018, 06:29:09 AM »
No.  If he is open he should fire away.  He'll start hitting eventually and even if he doesn't shoot it particularly well, the mere threat that he will shoot it draws a big guy away from the rim. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2018, 06:36:27 AM »
Come on guys. He lost a whole year by transferring. Essentially this is his second semester freshman year and he is being baptized by fire in conference play. He reminds me of Heldt his freshman year but with just a tad better skills. He may lose some playing time to Morrow, and/or Joey at the 4, and see him as the 3rd option at the 5 behind Theo and Heldt next season. He seems to be a little more confidant, but is still reluctant to shoot.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2018, 06:41:59 AM »
Well, he has played in seven games and so far:

8 for 26 field goal 30%
1 for 11 threes     .091%

He is getting 12 minutes per game and he does have good form on his face up shot, but just not going in.  Maybe like the analysts say, he gets fouled and sees a free throw go in or actually hits a jumper, then maybe the turnaround starts.  Sure Wojo has given him green light, but for how long. 

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2018, 06:42:29 AM »
Looking at the reaction Howard had to one of his missed threes (telling him to keep shooting) tells me the team has confidence his shot will come.  I can certainly agree he is essentially a freshman.  I'll give him a lot more time to progress.  I like the way the floor will have to spread to cover him, and will give a lot of lanes for easy layups if his shot comes around.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2018, 07:08:54 AM »
He reminds me if Vander freshman year.  All the right moves to get to the hole just can?t finish.  When he learns that, watch out.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback