'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Froling's role in conference play  (Read 31375 times)

skianth16

• All American
Froling's role in conference play
« on: December 22, 2017, 01:02:55 PM »
Now that we've seen Froling in a couple of games, I'm still a bit confused about how Wojo wants to use him. I like the idea of having 2 bigs on the floor at the same time, and there were moments where that seemed to work well last night, but it doesn't seem to fit our offense very well. I like Harry's confidence, but I haven't been too impressed with his shooting or his defense yet. He also made some really bad passes last night, which might just be acclimation to game speed, but I fear that he may be trying to do too much.

Personally, I'd like to see him down low more often, given that he's our biggest guy, to help grab rebounds and keep guys out of the paint. That just doesn't seem to be his game, though. We already have a lot of talent on the perimeter,so I'm not sure we need help out there, plus his shooting isn't exactly impressive so far. Having a big body and 5 extra fouls down low seems like a better plan to me now that we're on to conference play.

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: Froling's role in conference play
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 01:12:25 PM »
He had 7 boards - we haven't had too many games in which someone hit that mark. To the extent that he can fill that role -- especially on the offensive glass -- could be valuable to guys like Sam who have to crash just a bit less and thus be open for a quick open spot-up look.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 01:15:30 PM »
Harry will play both the 4 (subbing for Sam) as well as the 5.  Like the Harry/Theo combo.  Not sure Harry/Matt will be very productive.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 01:18:10 PM »
He had 7 defensive rebounds in 21 minutes.

They will,use him both inside and out......like they did last night. Sure he made some bad passes.....he has played very few games at the collegiate level......he also made some great passes....the Big to big looks from Harry to Theo were really good and something he brings to,the table that the other guys don't. Ditto for the pump fake, drive and dish to Sam for the open 3.

He is another playmaker on the court......he will make mistakes like all players do.....they aren't going to just play him down low.....he will.move around.....inside and out....like Henry.

Just be patient......I saw enough to be encouraged.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 01:30:02 PM »
He's played a grand total of 24 minutes for MU, it's a little early to say anything definitively.

Markus was scoring 5.0ppg on 44% shooting in his first five games.  Rowsey was scoring 4.5ppg on 27% shooting in his first six games.

And to say that grabbing rebounds isn't his thing is a little odd when he has 9 rebounds in those 24 minutes.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 02:00:05 PM »
He's played a grand total of 24 minutes for MU, it's a little early to say anything definitively.

Markus was scoring 5.0ppg on 44% shooting in his first five games.  Rowsey was scoring 4.5ppg on 27% shooting in his first six games.

And to say that grabbing rebounds isn't his thing is a little odd when he has 9 rebounds in those 24 minutes.

I put more stock in where Harry is now than where Markus was because Harry is older and has been playing at the collegiate level for 2 years now, even if the majority of that time has been just in practices. You're right, it's too early to tell anything for sure, but I'm not sold yet.

As for his rebounding - Getting 7 rebounds is never a bad thing, but the context is less impressive for him. American's 3 leading rebounders are all guards or wings. Their bigs were just not very good. 5 of his 7 boards came in the last 12 minutes of the game when we were already up 30. And as a team, American is in the running for being the worst rebounding team in the country, coming in ranked at 345/351.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 02:19:56 PM »
I put more stock in where Harry is now than where Markus was because Harry is older and has been playing at the collegiate level for 2 years now, even if the majority of that time has been just in practices. You're right, it's too early to tell anything for sure, but I'm not sold yet.

As for his rebounding - Getting 7 rebounds is never a bad thing, but the context is less impressive for him. American's 3 leading rebounders are all guards or wings. Their bigs were just not very good. 5 of his 7 boards came in the last 12 minutes of the game when we were already up 30. And as a team, American is in the running for being the worst rebounding team in the country, coming in ranked at 345/351.

Can't be sold, but it's hard not to be optimistic.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »
Dude literally has the highest rebound percentage on our team.....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 03:17:20 PM »
I am more confident this year that MU will not get beat because of their inability to secure a defensive rebound off of a missed free throw.    Heldt on one side, Harry on the other..... much better than last year.   Or Theo.   I am not as confident he will make his free throws after getting fouled while securing the rebound. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 04:14:15 PM »
I am more confident this year that MU will not get beat because of their inability to secure a defensive rebound off of a missed free throw.    Heldt on one side, Harry on the other..... much better than last year.   Or Theo.   I am not as confident he will make his free throws after getting fouled while securing the rebound.

Yup. We are not a good defensive rebounding team but adequate. If we could find a way to turn  teams over a little more, defend the two a little better... we will be dancing.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 04:43:38 PM »
The negativity directed towards Harry is puzzling. He could be a similar player to Henry (minus some of the ball handling, but perhaps a better defender), before too long. His skill set is so exciting. American was bad and I’m crowning him anything yet, but I’m far more optimistic about him than pessitimic. Could completely change the dynamic of this team.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 05:27:27 PM »
It's really tough to answer this. Last night, Harry looked like a legit contributor, but American was terrible and they had no one that could match him physically. Against NIU, he could barely get a sniff in a close game. While that might say something about Wojo trusting Heldt and John, it may also say something about his lack of trust in Harry. In conference play, it's a lot more likely we'll be playing games that are closely contested like NIU than blowouts like American.

There were pros and cons. I like Harry's passing, especially for a big man. He tried to be a bit too flashy at times, but had one really nice no-look assist and clearly has vision that isn't common in a man his size. His shot looked decent, but I don't think he'll be challenging Hauser for 3PFG% supremacy any time soon. My hope right now is for him to give us 10-20 minutes (I know that's a wide range, but I think his role will vary greatly situationally) per night and keep defenses honest. Some rebounding, scoring, and those valuable fouls.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 06:12:38 PM »
Dude literally has the highest rebound percentage on our team.....

I apologize in advance, but ...

A lot of his rebs yesterday were easy ones. They really were. American never sent anybody to the offensive boards; they were always racing back on D. Harry's only competition for most of his boards last night was another MU player.

I say this even though I've been one who mocked the "Henry only gets the easy rebounds" meme - do'h!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 02:42:19 AM »
Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic, but I just haven't been excited about his game yet. His shot is OK, not bad for a big guy, but not good enough to rely on. His rebounding numbers looks good, but they have been largely uncontested. His defense, to me, isn't much different than Heldt - plays fairly smart but is a little slow. And to top it all off, even though there has been a lot said about his conditioning improving, he still looks like he's sucking wind after 3-4 minutes of floor time.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think the team is going to change much now that we've got Harry eligible. I think Greg and Jamal end up with fewer minutes, and we may have the chance to run some 2 big sets. But that's about it. Having Heldt and Harry or Theo and Harry on the floor together hurts us offensively, and depending on the game could create bad defensive matchups for us too. At this point, I'm much happier with Heldt as the only big on the floor with the "big 3" along with Sacar or GE.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 09:55:16 AM »

A lot of his rebs yesterday were easy ones. They really were. American never sent anybody to the offensive boards; they were always racing back on D. Harry's only competition for most of his boards last night was another MU player.

I say this even though I've been one who mocked the "Henry only gets the easy rebounds" meme - do'h!

Just curious, how productive was Matt against American?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »
Just curious, how productive was Matt against American?

Reasonable.

And I wasn't making fun of anybody. I just happened to notice how the rebounds kept falling into Froling's hands uncontested and I actually chuckled out loud about "easy rebounds."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 05:28:09 PM »
In a very limited sample size stationary bad competition,  Frolings defense has been very good.

Frolings role will be "Henry with less usage*
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 06:59:52 PM »
I know we don't like waiting here on Scoop, but we'll find out a lot more about Froling's role next week. Xavier will be a great test, and GT has Govan and other big bigs.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 08:28:37 PM »
I am predicting that Froling wins the Big East 6th man of year award.

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 02:58:21 PM »

My second favorite fortune sits at my desk: “Luck happens when hard work meets opportunity.”  It’s a distant second  behind, “your greatest downfall is your stupidity.”  Anywho, the point is that those easy rebounds usually don’t happen unless you get in position before the shot.  Harry was working hard for rebounds the entire game. 

I guess I have a more positive view on Harry than others.  I love the fact that he was looking to pass as soon as help came, even if some of the passes were off the mark.  He knows what to do and he’s making the right decision...game experience will bring better execution.  And the pass to Theo was something we haven’t seen in a while.  The 3 pt shot wasn’t as pretty as I had hoped, but he’s obviously hitting them in practice or Wojo wouldn’t be on board.  Every 3pt shot he took was an open look, and he’s likely to get plenty of them as defenders focus on our three top shooters.  Finally, I love that he drove to the hoop with confidence, and the move leading into the baby hook was great.  Yes, it was American, but it was also Harry’s second game.  Plenty to be encouraged about. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 03:41:26 PM »
My second favorite fortune sits at my desk: “Luck happens when hard work meets opportunity.”  It’s a distant second  behind, “your greatest downfall is your stupidity.”  Anywho, the point is that those easy rebounds usually don’t happen unless you get in position before the shot.  Harry was working hard for rebounds the entire game. 

I guess I have a more positive view on Harry than others.  I love the fact that he was looking to pass as soon as help came, even if some of the passes were off the mark.  He knows what to do and he’s making the right decision...game experience will bring better execution.  And the pass to Theo was something we haven’t seen in a while.  The 3 pt shot wasn’t as pretty as I had hoped, but he’s obviously hitting them in practice or Wojo wouldn’t be on board.  Every 3pt shot he took was an open look, and he’s likely to get plenty of them as defenders focus on our three top shooters.  Finally, I love that he drove to the hoop with confidence, and the move leading into the baby hook was great.  Yes, it was American, but it was also Harry’s second game.  Plenty to be encouraged about.

I'm not the least bit discouraged about Harry, I am hoping for big things, and I'm wishing I didn't use the "easy rebounds" line.

Everything I said is true - I watched the game, and I laughed to myself about it. Shoulda kept it to myself.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 04:04:41 PM »
Harry 2 starting lineup
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 07:36:03 PM »
Harry 2 starting lineup
I could see that.  At the 4 or the 5?  In place of Matt or Sacar?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 09:10:43 PM »

Matthew, but at a minimum I think the mins will be harry
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2017, 10:19:48 PM »

Sacars role as a 25 MPG player and starter are pretty much locked in. By far the best defender on this team.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.