[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 499011 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #3200 on: September 11, 2018, 11:37:21 AM »
Because he believes that MLB has some kind of vendetta against his beloved Cubs.

Nice try.

I don’t think MLB would screw the Cubs. It’s in their best interest to have them and their market in the playoffs.

I do think they handled this weekend poorly though.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3201 on: September 11, 2018, 11:39:26 AM »
I am not sure why you keep going on about this.

Are you new to this thread?  Everything here is beaten to death.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3202 on: September 11, 2018, 11:43:24 AM »
Are you new to this thread?  Everything here is beaten to death.

No, I am well aware of that.  I just figured that you have a choice to either be a part of the the reason for that or not, why pick being part of the problem?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3203 on: September 11, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but this seems a lot more straightforward than some are making it out to be. 

Plan A: play the game in D.C. The Nats have the right to that home game revenue.  Keep an eye on the weather, and if you can get it in great, if not move to plan B.

Plan B: Move the game.  No way the Brewers would sign off on giving the cubs an extra home game.  Why not Toronto?  The have a roof.  They're significantly closer to D.C. than Milwaukee is for any dedicated Nats fans.  The Jays are in Boston that day which should be far enough north to avoid the weather, or even if it is rained out you could move that game to Oct 1, since neither Toronto or Boston will be in the WC game and both teams already know their fate.  Also, there would be plenty of time for field prep since the Jays played at home on the 9th and aren't back until the 20th.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3204 on: September 11, 2018, 11:49:39 AM »
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but this seems a lot more straightforward than some are making it out to be. 

Plan A: play the game in D.C. The Nats have the right to that home game revenue.  Keep an eye on the weather, and if you can get it in great, if not move to plan B.

Plan B: Move the game.  No way the Brewers would sign off on giving the cubs an extra home game.  Why not Toronto?  The have a roof.  They're significantly closer to D.C. than Milwaukee is for any dedicated Nats fans.  The Jays are in Boston that day which should be far enough north to avoid the weather, or even if it is rained out you could move that game to Oct 1, since neither Toronto or Boston will be in the WC game and both teams already know their fate.  Also, there would be plenty of time for field prep since the Jays played at home on the 9th and aren't back until the 20th.

Nope, not missing anything.  That is what most here are saying, but for some reason there are some Cub fans (maybe only 1 fan) saying MLB messed this up by even rescheduling it Thursday and they should have scheduled it for 10/1 right away.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3205 on: September 11, 2018, 11:55:22 AM »
No, I am well aware of that.  I just figured that you have a choice to either be a part of the the reason for that or not, why pick being part of the problem?

This is a great point actually.  I need to leave here.  Brewers fans bring out the worst in me.

See you in basketball season a-holes haha!

Baseball will divide.  Basketball will unite.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3206 on: September 11, 2018, 12:14:48 PM »
This is a great point actually.  I need to leave here.  Brewers fans bring out the worst in me.

Peace.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3207 on: September 11, 2018, 12:18:24 PM »

Plan B: Move the game.  No way the Brewers would sign off on giving the Cubs an extra home game.  Why not Toronto?  The have a roof.  They're significantly closer to D.C. than Milwaukee is for any dedicated Nats fans.  The Jays are in Boston that day which should be far enough north to avoid the weather, or even if it is rained out you could move that game to Oct 1, since neither Toronto or Boston will be in the WC game and both teams already know their fate.  Also, there would be plenty of time for field prep since the Jays played at home on the 9th and aren't back until the 20th.

If the Brewers don't agree with that, the MLB could move the game to Wrigley like what happened with the Brewers last year when they got 3 extra home games.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3208 on: September 11, 2018, 12:19:48 PM »
If the Brewers don't agree with that, the MLB could move the game to Wrigley like what happened with the Brewers last year when they got 3 extra home games.

Given their history of sun-outs I’m not sure moving it from one potential delay to another is in the best interest of the MLB.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3209 on: September 11, 2018, 12:22:10 PM »
Given their history of sun-outs I’m not sure moving it from one potential delay to another is in the best interest of the MLB.

They still won the make up game....I think you can give it a rest (coming from a Brewers fan)

Also, this is why you wait to see what the weather does before actually deciding to cancel something.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3210 on: September 11, 2018, 12:23:49 PM »

I guess that's an option, but if you're going to move the game, wouldn't it make sense to ask Toronto first?  Why would they say no?  Only reason I can think of is if their series in Boston is expected to get rained out, and they have to move it back to Toronto.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3211 on: September 11, 2018, 12:32:41 PM »

The banter is so much better and enjoyable when both teams are good versus the Battle for the Basement years.  I mean the pity clap for the White Sox fans maybe lasts 10 seconds.  Quick Rick lasts longer.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3212 on: September 11, 2018, 12:34:59 PM »

No reason to leave.  There's only one incorrigible Crew fan that I know of!   :)

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3213 on: September 11, 2018, 12:38:27 PM »
;D ;D - there's a reason you didn't understand. I meant to quote Burrow and my response was meant for him.

Yessir. All of the rainouts this past weekend, plus the hurricane, plus all of the standard end of season lineup nonsense is making setting playoff lineups in a weekly league tougher than any season i can remember.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3214 on: September 11, 2018, 01:22:02 PM »

Sphincter Tightening Exhibit A right here, guys

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3215 on: September 11, 2018, 01:32:10 PM »
Sphincter Tightening Exhibit A right here, guys

Yup.  Cubs fans thought they were running away with this division.  All of a sudden the Brewers are on a roll, the Cubs are struggling, and suddenly the Cubs fans need to run and hide because Brewers fans bring the worst out in them.

Rest assured, if the Brewers are eliminated from Postseason play before the Cubs are (something I expect), Cubs fans will come running back to this thread in flocks.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3216 on: September 11, 2018, 02:18:50 PM »
Yup.  Cubs fans thought they were running away with this division.  All of a sudden the Brewers are on a roll, the Cubs are struggling, and suddenly the Cubs fans need to run and hide because Brewers fans bring the worst out in them.

Rest assured, if the Brewers are eliminated from Postseason play before the Cubs are (something I expect), Cubs fans will come running back to this thread in flocks.

We have given up as we know the Brewers recovery times are far superior due to their masking techniques.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3217 on: September 11, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »
We have given up as we know the Brewers recovery times are far superior due to their masking techniques.

I hope so.

I had forgotten that Cubs players don't cheat.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3218 on: September 11, 2018, 02:29:30 PM »
I hope so.

I had forgotten that Cubs players don't cheat.

A bit off topic, but did anyone see "Icarus"? the documentary on drug masking including but not exclusive to the Russians.  Well worth seeing.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3219 on: September 11, 2018, 03:05:55 PM »
I guess that's an option, but if you're going to move the game, wouldn't it make sense to ask Toronto first?  Why would they say no?  Only reason I can think of is if their series in Boston is expected to get rained out, and they have to move it back to Toronto.

I would suspect that international concerns preclude Toronto from being an option for relocated games.

For example, it's got to be a logistical nightmare for the traveling secretaries to put something like this together on a moment's notice considering that MLB teams aren't going through your standard immigration/customs line at Pearson... whatever paperwork needs to be filed, tax forms need to be changed, etc.  On top of that, it's possible that some players may not have the right Canadian visa, especially two NL teams who weren't scheduled to play in Toronto all year, not to mention now having expanded September rosters. Additionally, since their stadium is downtown, it's very possible that any event taking place at the Rogers Centre requires a permit approved by the City/Province, and even emergency permits usually have some sort of waiting or public notice period.

Granted, any and all of these issues could probably be worked out a few days in advance, but the decision to relocate a game isn't going to be made until the last possible minute.

The other factor is $$$.... one of the primary reasons Milwaukee has hosted relocated games on several occasions is because they have not only proven they can quickly get the logistics (stadium personnel, concessions, law enforcement, etc.) in place but also an ability to draw a decent, though greatly reduced, crowd on short notice as well.  If a team is going to give up their home gate, getting something is certainly better than nothing, whether MLB is subsidizing the lost revenue or not.  All of us in Milwaukee and Chicago are a bit closer to MLB relocations, so we might get the impression that this is a commonplace consideration, when the fact of the matter is much more likely that teams and MLB are going to do everything they can to avoid relocating a game at all reasonable costs.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 03:07:33 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #3220 on: September 11, 2018, 03:10:32 PM »

Quitter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3221 on: September 11, 2018, 08:36:01 PM »
I would suspect that international concerns preclude Toronto from being an option for relocated games.

For example, it's got to be a logistical nightmare for the traveling secretaries to put something like this together on a moment's notice considering that MLB teams aren't going through your standard immigration/customs line at Pearson... whatever paperwork needs to be filed, tax forms need to be changed, etc.  On top of that, it's possible that some players may not have the right Canadian visa, especially two NL teams who weren't scheduled to play in Toronto all year, not to mention now having expanded September rosters. Additionally, since their stadium is downtown, it's very possible that any event taking place at the Rogers Centre requires a permit approved by the City/Province, and even emergency permits usually have some sort of waiting or public notice period.

Granted, any and all of these issues could probably be worked out a few days in advance, but the decision to relocate a game isn't going to be made until the last possible minute.

The other factor is $$$.... one of the primary reasons Milwaukee has hosted relocated games on several occasions is because they have not only proven they can quickly get the logistics (stadium personnel, concessions, law enforcement, etc.) in place but also an ability to draw a decent, though greatly reduced, crowd on short notice as well.  If a team is going to give up their home gate, getting something is certainly better than nothing, whether MLB is subsidizing the lost revenue or not.  All of us in Milwaukee and Chicago are a bit closer to MLB relocations, so we might get the impression that this is a commonplace consideration, when the fact of the matter is much more likely that teams and MLB are going to do everything they can to avoid relocating a game at all reasonable costs.

And Miller Park has a roof. Probably the biggest reason,  guaranteed to play the game.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3222 on: September 12, 2018, 06:04:31 AM »
Helluva outing by Q.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3223 on: September 12, 2018, 09:07:54 AM »
Helluva outing by Q.

I haven't seen a player single-handedly take on, and dominate another team like that, since Steve Rogers.  Inevitably, he'll be frozen, as was the case in mid-August, only to thaw and return to form better than before. 

Honestly, at this juncture the Brewers only chance at getting some opening against him seems to be some manner of civil unrest, i.e. a power struggle, within the Cubs clubhouse that divides, and hopefully, brings down the entire team just long enough for the Crew to seize that window and obliterate the opposition, because if Quintana re-emerges in a post-season beard, I don't know how anything less than impending doom can be on the menu.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3224 on: September 12, 2018, 04:09:16 PM »
Ugh.  According to Fangraphs, Yoan Moncada has been called out 49 times on a strike three call which was out of the zone.  This is by far first in the majors.  Next is Matt Chapman and Mike Trout at 36.