[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 497132 times)

SaveOD238

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #3250 on: September 13, 2018, 01:07:46 PM »
So the Brewers have flirted with the post season in recent history, what should be a satisfactory result as fans based on where we are now. If they end up with the WC and lose a single game, I don't hold it against them. I'm cautiously optimistic about being competitive in the division series but i dont think we can discount that 90% of this team has little to no playoff experience which matters I think.

All that to say I think winning the divisional series is the ceiling for this team right now and I'm ok with it.

I think the ceiling is winning the World Series, but I don't think that will happen.  The teams in the AL are just too strong, and we would be the road team in every matchup except Cleveland, who owned us this year.

In the NL playoffs, I think we have a shot against any of the other teams.  We're 17-10 against other playoff teams in the East and West, and we have played our division rivals (Cubs 8-11, Cardinals 8-8) pretty even, especially recently.  I especially like our chances if we get home field by winning the division.

That said, I expect we will host the WC game and then face the Cubs.  Both of those are crap-shoots.  I'll be happy if we get past the WC game and play the Cubs tough. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3251 on: September 13, 2018, 01:59:21 PM »
This.  The way that Cub fans embraced the whole "lovable loser" title for so long, then to completely do a 180 when they get real good real quick (95+ loss team as recently as 2013) rubs me the wrong way.

One of the largest cities in the US produces a sports team that has great success and you're surprised there are bandwagon fans?

I'd also say that some of that is attributable to fans who did stick around during the "lovable" seasons now feeling they are entitled to maximizing their team's success (in regards to their fandom)

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3252 on: September 13, 2018, 02:17:57 PM »
One of the largest cities in the US produces a sports team that has great success and you're surprised there are bandwagon fans?

I'd also say that some of that is attributable to fans who did stick around during the "lovable" seasons now feeling they are entitled to maximizing their team's success (in regards to their fandom)

It's more of the attitude that they've had.  No other team in the history of sports embraced the "lovable losers" idea more than the cubs.  No sane human can honestly say that the result of a baseball game was effected by whether or not a goat was allowed in the stands, or that a cat ran on the field.  Yet those stories got played up to no end.  It's normal for a team to adopt something weird like that for a year (Cardinals had the playoff squirrel one year, Yankees had the thumbs down, even the Brewers advertised Hank the dog extremely hard for a year).  Other teams lets stuff like that die out, but the cubs played it up for decades.  Even 2003 ended up being more about how the baseball gods let Bartman blow the series, even though that he had nothing to do with game 7, and only marginally effected 6.  It became less about "how can we improve and actually win" and more about "how is some supernatural force going to screw us over this year".  Recently when they got really good, really quickly and realized that they were legitimate contenders, the whole lovable losers mantra was immediately dropped for "we're the best thing since sliced bread".  It's a good thing that they dropped "LL's", but as soon as they did, the level of arrogance skyrocketed. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:24:14 PM by Its DJOver »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3253 on: September 13, 2018, 02:34:55 PM »
;D All the Cubs fans have run for the hills.  Of course they will be back out in force gloating next time they win a couple games.

I think that's the thing. My perception is that too many of them think of their club like it's the Yankees or something when the reality is that they have been an absolute bottom feeder (especially for a large market team) for most of their history. I get that they're very good to great now.  But for almost all of the last 120 years that hasn't been true.  Which might be why they hate the Cardinals so much.  Talk about a successful midwest franchise.

Seems like Crew fans understand where our boys are in the MLB pecking order.  And we learn to appreciate the modest success we occasionally enjoy.  Let's hope we surpass expectations this year.  A NL Pennant is absolutely not beyond all hope.

It wasn't too long ago that many Brewers posters here put the proverbially fork into own their team. 

#perspective

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #3254 on: September 13, 2018, 02:47:53 PM »
It's more of the attitude that they've had.  No other team in the history of sports embraced the "lovable losers" idea more than the cubs.  No sane human can honestly say that the result of a baseball game was effected by whether or not a goat was allowed in the stands, or that a cat ran on the field.  Yet those stories got played up to no end.  It's normal for a team to adopt something weird like that for a year (Cardinals had the playoff squirrel one year, Yankees had the thumbs down, even the Brewers advertised Hank the dog extremely hard for a year).  Other teams lets stuff like that die out, but the cubs played it up for decades.  Even 2003 ended up being more about how the baseball gods let Bartman blow the series, even though that he had nothing to do with game 7, and only marginally effected 6.  It became less about "how can we improve and actually win" and more about "how is some supernatural force going to screw us over this year".  Recently when they got really good, really quickly and realized that they were legitimate contenders, the whole lovable losers mantra was immediately dropped for "we're the best thing since sliced bread".  It's a good thing that they dropped "LL's", but as soon as they did, the level of arrogance skyrocketed.

What's the difference between "embracing the lovable losers idea" vs. not being a fair-weather fan vs. being supportive but pessimistic?

Also, who was actually pushing the goat and the cat? The fans or the people who needed to fill columns, airtime, etc.?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3255 on: September 13, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »
What's the difference between "embracing the lovable losers idea" vs. not being a fair-weather fan vs. being supportive but pessimistic?

In other words, a Cubs fan vs. a Marquette fan vs. a Brewer/Badger/Packer fan?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3256 on: September 13, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »

Also, who was actually pushing the goat and the cat? The fans or the people who needed to fill columns, airtime, etc.?

Would those stories have continued to get written if the cubs fans didn't eat it all up?  Hank was pushed incredibly hard for the Brewers for a year (bobblehead, mascot, t-shirts, the whole nine yards), and its a story that could still be getting pushed, but the fanbase kinda got over it.  Its still a cool story, but its not being forced down peoples throat. 

Why do these stories never focus on the players?  There always seem to be extenuating circumstances working against the cubs (hurricane).  If Moises Alou admitted to peeing on his hands earlier would the cubs have won in 2003?  That story is told so much less than how Bartman was the epitome of evil (exaggerating obviously).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3257 on: September 13, 2018, 03:18:31 PM »
I like the Brewers team. I think the GM has done a very nice job putting a lot of pieces together.

Absolutely could see them in the WS, especially if they pull out a division title.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3258 on: September 13, 2018, 04:00:00 PM »
Would those stories have continued to get written if the cubs fans didn't eat it all up?  Hank was pushed incredibly hard for the Brewers for a year (bobblehead, mascot, t-shirts, the whole nine yards), and its a story that could still be getting pushed, but the fanbase kinda got over it.  Its still a cool story, but its not being forced down peoples throat. 

Why do these stories never focus on the players?  There always seem to be extenuating circumstances working against the cubs (hurricane).  If Moises Alou admitted to peeing on his hands earlier would the cubs have won in 2003?  That story is told so much less than how Bartman was the epitome of evil (exaggerating obviously).

Anyone that thinks that Hank just walked into the complex in Maryville and became the team dog is high.  Maryville is a sh!thole and perfectly groomed, trained dogs don't just wander in off the street.

Sidenote, flew on a Southwest flight from MKE to PHX year 2(?) of the Hank-show, Hank had the first row seat.  No way in hell that was a stray. 

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #3259 on: September 13, 2018, 04:09:33 PM »
No sane human can honestly say that the result of a baseball game was effected by whether or not a goat was allowed in the stands, or that a cat ran on the field.  Yet those stories got played up to no end.

It became less about "how can we improve and actually win" and more about "how is some supernatural force going to screw us over this year".  Recently when they got really good, really quickly and realized that they were legitimate contenders, the whole lovable losers mantra was immediately dropped for "we're the best thing since sliced bread".  It's a good thing that they dropped "LL's", but as soon as they did, the level of arrogance skyrocketed.

I see you don't follow the Red Sox.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3260 on: September 13, 2018, 04:36:24 PM »
If Moises Alou admitted to peeing on his hands earlier would the cubs have won in 2003?  That story is told so much less than how Bartman was the epitome of evil (exaggerating obviously).

Ah yes, Moises "Moist Hands" Alou. Bizarre, to put it mildly.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3261 on: September 13, 2018, 05:09:55 PM »
Anyone that thinks that Hank just walked into the complex in Maryville and became the team dog is high.  Maryville is a sh!thole and perfectly groomed, trained dogs don't just wander in off the street.

Sidenote, flew on a Southwest flight from MKE to PHX year 2(?) of the Hank-show, Hank had the first row seat.  No way in hell that was a stray.
So you mean that if Hank was a stray that had been hit by a car, the story would be more believable.
https://barkpost.com/meet-hank-the-milwaukee-brewers-new-mascot/
"Hank was a stray wandering around the Brewers Spring Training facilities when he was found by third base coach Ed Seder.  Hank had tire marks on his fur and was quite disheveled."

The biggest story about Hank after that first year, was about suspicions that the Brewers had pulled a bait and switch.
https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/03/03/hank-dog-brewers-mascot-dead-or-alive-explainer
Your sidenote may support this conspiracy theory, but regardless, I don't think Brewer fans are going to be talking about Hank years, and years into the future.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3262 on: September 13, 2018, 05:15:45 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24665452/anthony-rizzo-chicago-cubs-wears-uniform-overnight-flight-joke-makeup-game-vs-washington-nationals

Aww.  Poor Anthony.

Jesus the Cubs like to whine lol.  I cannot fathom how the MLB would put two teams in such danger.  I mean, come on, look at the conditions they're playing in right now!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #3263 on: September 13, 2018, 06:13:46 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24665452/anthony-rizzo-chicago-cubs-wears-uniform-overnight-flight-joke-makeup-game-vs-washington-nationals

Aww.  Poor Anthony.

Jesus the Cubs like to whine lol.  I cannot fathom how the MLB would put two teams in such danger.  I mean, come on, look at the conditions they're playing in right now!

Whining?  Looks like they are makin lemonade out of lemons.  Hardly whining.  Humor is a good thing.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3264 on: September 13, 2018, 06:32:53 PM »

Probably had a blue medical pre-board pass, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3265 on: September 13, 2018, 06:34:20 PM »
Wonderful clinic on how not to play effective defense by the Nats in the 10th.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3266 on: September 13, 2018, 06:54:16 PM »
Well, the Cubs won their stupid rainout make-up, and the Brewers won theirs last year.  Can we put that bs to bed now that we're even?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3267 on: September 13, 2018, 06:59:52 PM »
Strop pulls a hammy when Joe let's him bat and hits into a DP.  Let's hope Morrow is back soon.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #3268 on: September 13, 2018, 07:11:13 PM »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3269 on: September 13, 2018, 08:25:30 PM »
Well, the Cubs won their stupid rainout make-up, and the Brewers won theirs last year.  Can we put that bs to bed now that we're even?

Not until I get 3 extra home games during a pennant race  ;D

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #3270 on: September 13, 2018, 08:50:04 PM »
Not until I get 3 extra home games during a pennant race  ;D

You get 9 every year, or at least it feels that way sometimes.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #3271 on: September 13, 2018, 09:30:01 PM »
;D All the Cubs fans have run for the hills.  Of course they will be back out in force gloating next time they win a couple games.

I think that's the thing. My perception is that too many of them think of their club like it's the Yankees or something when the reality is that they have been an absolute bottom feeder (especially for a large market team) for most of their history. I get that they're very good to great now.  But for almost all of the last 120 years that hasn't been true.  Which might be why they hate the Cardinals so much.  Talk about a successful midwest franchise.

Seems like Crew fans understand where our boys are in the MLB pecking order.  And we learn to appreciate the modest success we occasionally enjoy.  Let's hope we surpass expectations this year.  A NL Pennant is absolutely not beyond all hope.
Bingo.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3272 on: September 13, 2018, 09:45:26 PM »
Strop pulls a hammy when Joe let's him bat and hits into a DP.  Let's hope Morrow is back soon.

Strop to miss "several weeks".

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3273 on: September 13, 2018, 10:25:48 PM »
Strop to miss "several weeks".

Relief pitching is about to suck for the Cubs. CEJ has been terrible the last couple of weeks.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3274 on: September 13, 2018, 11:47:33 PM »
Joe Mauer thinking about retiring after the season.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24657925/joe-mauer-need-sit-think-retirement-offseason

Talk about a guy who had the rabbit's foot -- had several very good seasons and then his career season exactly when he was heading into free agency.

Twins HAD to keep him -- local kid made good, face of the franchise, helped small-market team win, etc.

But that turned out to be one of the worst contracts of the generation. He turned into a total Punch-and-Judy hitter who couldn't even play catcher any more -- a $184 million version of Doug Mientkiewicz (but Mauer wasn't as good a fielder).

Shame, because he looked like a future HoFer the first half of his career.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson