[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 495899 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #3225 on: September 12, 2018, 04:11:40 PM »
Helluva outing by Q.

Yeah no joke.  And in a huge spot. 

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #3226 on: September 12, 2018, 07:21:12 PM »

Because he has a better slugging percentage than Cain by 120 points and a better OPS by about 100.  Right now he tops the NL in offensive WAR.

Cain has been great, but Yelich has been more powerful without sacrificing batting average.

You ignore defense then for MVP? Not trying to argue, generally curious.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3227 on: September 12, 2018, 07:37:47 PM »
You ignore defense then for MVP? Not trying to argue, generally curious.

Well yeah I guess I do. Cain is clearly a better defender but Yelich isn’t bad.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3228 on: September 12, 2018, 07:42:59 PM »
Greatest Slider of All Time just nabbed stealing 2nd.   ;D ;D

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3229 on: September 12, 2018, 08:07:09 PM »

Ronald Acuna, in the 2nd half, is leading the NL in HRs, OPS, and fWAR.  Not that he will win the MVP, because of limited plate appearances, but wow.  Between he and Soto, that is two pretty spectacular rookie seasons. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3230 on: September 12, 2018, 09:57:45 PM »
Hader is...good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3231 on: September 12, 2018, 09:58:06 PM »
The Grandy Man can.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3232 on: September 12, 2018, 10:13:45 PM »
And there they go to the exits in Miller Park South!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #3233 on: September 12, 2018, 10:35:04 PM »
Fly that “L” boys, fly that beautiful “L”.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3234 on: September 12, 2018, 11:02:12 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3235 on: September 12, 2018, 11:15:27 PM »
Brewers had to win this series to have any hope of winning the division. They accomplished that mission. Next couple weeks should be fun!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3236 on: September 12, 2018, 11:46:38 PM »
Counsell really rubbed that off day all up in Maddon's face. That Thursday off day enabled Him to play a deal dacto pitching rotation, and almost everyone should be available Friday.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3237 on: September 13, 2018, 07:18:07 AM »
This.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3238 on: September 13, 2018, 07:22:22 AM »
Counsell really rubbed that off day all up in Maddon's face. That Thursday off day enabled Him to play a deal dacto pitching rotation, and almost everyone should be available Friday.

I'd love Couns' take on the pitching rotation last night.  We were at a MU function so I didn't see until the 7th but it seems he wanted his top 5-6 guys to all get an inning or so in order to stay super sharp.  After getting healthy, the pen has again become a source of strength.  Hader is simply unbelievable.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:29:12 AM by nicoglow »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3239 on: September 13, 2018, 09:48:16 AM »
So has anyone heard if the Cubs made it safely to Washington?  I mean after all the weather reports I read here, I'm assuming they had to fly into the eyewall like one of those hurricane hunters. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3240 on: September 13, 2018, 09:50:56 AM »
So has anyone heard if the Cubs made it safely to Washington?  I mean after all the weather reports I read here, I'm assuming they had to fly into the eyewall like one of those hurricane hunters.

Plus, they probably won't be able to stay awake after playing 73 games without an off day.

LON

• All American
« Reply #3241 on: September 13, 2018, 11:03:43 AM »
Plus, they probably won't be able to stay awake after playing 73 games without an off day.

Truly a shame the MLB is forcing them to play 162 games this year.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3242 on: September 13, 2018, 11:22:56 AM »
 ;D All the Cubs fans have run for the hills.  Of course they will be back out in force gloating next time they win a couple games.

I think that's the thing. My perception is that too many of them think of their club like it's the Yankees or something when the reality is that they have been an absolute bottom feeder (especially for a large market team) for most of their history. I get that they're very good to great now.  But for almost all of the last 120 years that hasn't been true.  Which might be why they hate the Cardinals so much.  Talk about a successful midwest franchise.

Seems like Crew fans understand where our boys are in the MLB pecking order.  And we learn to appreciate the modest success we occasionally enjoy.  Let's hope we surpass expectations this year.  A NL Pennant is absolutely not beyond all hope. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3243 on: September 13, 2018, 11:31:06 AM »
Seems like Crew fans understand where our boys are in the MLB pecking order.  And we learn to appreciate the modest success we occasionally enjoy.  Let's hope we surpass expectations this year. 

Agree with this. I'm not getting my hopes up about the Crew winning the Central, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this late push. Obviously .727 ball isn't sustainable, and I think the Cubs will figure it out, like good teams tend to do.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3244 on: September 13, 2018, 11:35:02 AM »
So the Brewers have flirted with the post season in recent history, what should be a satisfactory result as fans based on where we are now. If they end up with the WC and lose a single game, I don't hold it against them. I'm cautiously optimistic about being competitive in the division series but i dont think we can discount that 90% of this team has little to no playoff experience which matters I think.

All that to say I think winning the divisional series is the ceiling for this team right now and I'm ok with it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3245 on: September 13, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »
So the Brewers have flirted with the post season in recent history, what should be a satisfactory result as fans based on where we are now. If they end up with the WC and lose a single game, I don't hold it against them. I'm cautiously optimistic about being competitive in the division series but i dont think we can discount that 90% of this team has little to no playoff experience which matters I think.

All that to say I think winning the divisional series is the ceiling for this team right now and I'm ok with it.

This team has been to the playoffs four times in my 50 year old lifetime.  And I'm pretty fair weather when it comes to baseball.  So whatever they do once they get there (if they get there) is fine by me.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3246 on: September 13, 2018, 11:43:18 AM »
;D All the Cubs fans have run for the hills.  Of course they will be back out in force gloating next time they win a couple games.

I think that's the thing. My perception is that too many of them think of their club like it's the Yankees or something when the reality is that they have been an absolute bottom feeder (especially for a large market team) for most of their history. I get that they're very good to great now.  But for almost all of the last 120 years that hasn't been true.  Which might be why they hate the Cardinals so much.  Talk about a successful midwest franchise.

Seems like Crew fans understand where our boys are in the MLB pecking order.  And we learn to appreciate the modest success we occasionally enjoy.  Let's hope we surpass expectations this year.  A NL Pennant is absolutely not beyond all hope.

This.  The way that Cub fans embraced the whole "lovable loser" title for so long, then to completely do a 180 when they get real good real quick (95+ loss team as recently as 2013) rubs me the wrong way.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3247 on: September 13, 2018, 11:44:08 AM »

I agree with you.  They are in year #2 of rebuilding and well ahead of schedule.  Now I DO expect them to finish strong these last couple of weeks and make the playoffs.  Failing to qualify at this juncture would be a major disappointment.  Need to crack this Pirate jinx they've experienced this year.  I'm confident Couns will have them ready for the weekend.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3248 on: September 13, 2018, 11:50:00 AM »

As long as they make the postseason this year, I'll be happy (although if they sputter to playing the WC game on the road I'll be disappointed based on where they are right now).  It shows improvement from last year and gives them at least a little postseason experience.  Depending on what they do this October will determine my expectations for next year and beyond.

I think the fact that we didn't go all in on a trade is my reasoning for tempered expectations. In 2011 it was make it to the WS or bust.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:53:39 AM by Its DJOver »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3249 on: September 13, 2018, 11:54:17 AM »

I agree with the WC scenario... a loss would be devastating, but the sentiment would be short-lived; otherwise, I'm good with any other outcome should they win the WC. 

If the Brewers win the Central and have home field in the CS, anything short of a WS appearance would evoke feelings of a lost (seemingly) once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that's going to linger for quite a while, or at least until around the 2019 Opening Day (at which point I'll be too stoked on another once-in-a-lifetime during my upcoming weekend in Minneapolis to care about baseball).

Otherwise, I will be satisfied with an CS appearance with an NL Central title scenario where they don't have home field.

Summary: After WC round, expectations are considered met so long as they don't lose with home field.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.