collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498959 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #675 on: April 26, 2018, 09:41:46 AM »
What’s his “niche?” He comes in anywhere from like the 5th inning to the 9th inning. He’s given up 2 earned runs in 15 1/3 innings this season and is eleventh in strikeouts this year. That’s right, eleventh in all of baseball in strikeouts having pitched 15 1/3 innings.

In my opinion he’s been not only the best player in the Brewers but also the most valuable/most important Brewer.

Think that's an aged stat re: strikeouts, but he's been extremely impressive in the early going, and I agree that his value in how it has allowed us to load-balance a pitching rotation that just isn't capable of routinely getting deep into games (and Counsell doesn't seem to want that).

That said, Cain and Yelich are the most important Brewers and it's not even close. The strain that having two guys getting on base at the rate they are with the heart of the order coming up cannot be overstated. It allows Braun, Shaw and the 1Bs to play the role they play best.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #676 on: April 26, 2018, 10:14:32 AM »
He's been very good, but Hader's 31 strikeouts makes him tied for 30th in all of baseball.

Sorry, you're right.  Not sure where I heard the 11th number, think I heard it either on the radio or a game broadcast against KC.  Maybe he was 11th going into the KC series?  Not sure.

Think that's an aged stat re: strikeouts, but he's been extremely impressive in the early going, and I agree that his value in how it has allowed us to load-balance a pitching rotation that just isn't capable of routinely getting deep into games (and Counsell doesn't seem to want that).

That said, Cain and Yelich are the most important Brewers and it's not even close. The strain that having two guys getting on base at the rate they are with the heart of the order coming up cannot be overstated. It allows Braun, Shaw and the 1Bs to play the role they play best.

You may be right.  But I love how he's being used right now.  Any situation he's needed they're throwing him in.  Without Hader I think the entire pitching staff falls completely apart.  I'm not sure that's the case with the offense with Cain and Yelich (both of whom I love).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #677 on: April 26, 2018, 01:39:28 PM »
The White Sox are only 7.5 out of first!

They have been just brutal to watch.  Nothing worse than watching pitchers who can't find the strike zone. 

With that said, there have been a few bright spots. 

On the pitching it is Lopez.  Everyone else has been brutal.  Kopech has been dominating AAA and Dunning and Cease are showing they are way too much for High-A ball.  Rodon is likely to be back soon.

On the position player side, Moncada may really be something.  It is amazing that he has been productive at all with his K-rate, but he can really obliterate the ball, and is lightning fast.  Surprisingly enough, even with the K's I don't think his approach is terrible.  He is a reasonably patient hitter and once he figures out how pitchers are approaching him he could be unreal.  Even with his K rate, he is pacing at about a 7 bWAR season.  That number would have him firmly in the top 10 in baseball.

Tim Anderson has also been encouraging (at the plate at least, still needs work on the mental side and on his D).  Most encouraging has been his walks.  He walked 13 times last year in 606 PA.  This year he has 7 in 86.  Not world beating, but progress.  Another huge positive for Tim is that he has been a terror on the basepaths.  After stealing only 15 last year, he already has 8 this year.  I love the thought of Anderson and Moncada causing havoc on the basepaths.  Tim has always hit pretty well (in the minors) so I am willing to chalk up his avg. to the special situation last year as he looks much more settled this year.  I think him hitting .275-.280 is completely realistic with some good power and speed. 

Yolmer has also looked like he can be an everyday player.  He, again, is a guy that hit pretty well in the minors, so I wouldn't be surprised if he hits well in the bigs, it has just taken him some time to get his feet under him.  He is excellent with the glove at any IF position and if he can hit in the .270-.280 range could really be a useful player. 

Other than that, Abreu has been himself which is expected.  This pitching staff is just horrendous.  The starters, the pen.  Yikes.  They are a disaster.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #678 on: April 26, 2018, 09:08:13 PM »
They have been just brutal to watch.  Nothing worse than watching pitchers who can't find the strike zone. 

With that said, there have been a few bright spots. 

On the pitching it is Lopez.  Everyone else has been brutal.  Kopech has been dominating AAA and Dunning and Cease are showing they are way too much for High-A ball.  Rodon is likely to be back soon.

On the position player side, Moncada may really be something.  It is amazing that he has been productive at all with his K-rate, but he can really obliterate the ball, and is lightning fast.  Surprisingly enough, even with the K's I don't think his approach is terrible.  He is a reasonably patient hitter and once he figures out how pitchers are approaching him he could be unreal.  Even with his K rate, he is pacing at about a 7 bWAR season.  That number would have him firmly in the top 10 in baseball.

Tim Anderson has also been encouraging (at the plate at least, still needs work on the mental side and on his D).  Most encouraging has been his walks.  He walked 13 times last year in 606 PA.  This year he has 7 in 86.  Not world beating, but progress.  Another huge positive for Tim is that he has been a terror on the basepaths.  After stealing only 15 last year, he already has 8 this year.  I love the thought of Anderson and Moncada causing havoc on the basepaths.  Tim has always hit pretty well (in the minors) so I am willing to chalk up his avg. to the special situation last year as he looks much more settled this year.  I think him hitting .275-.280 is completely realistic with some good power and speed. 

Yolmer has also looked like he can be an everyday player.  He, again, is a guy that hit pretty well in the minors, so I wouldn't be surprised if he hits well in the bigs, it has just taken him some time to get his feet under him.  He is excellent with the glove at any IF position and if he can hit in the .270-.280 range could really be a useful player. 

Other than that, Abreu has been himself which is expected.  This pitching staff is just horrendous.  The starters, the pen.  Yikes.  They are a disaster.

Trust the process.

They'll win it all again in only 70 years or so.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #679 on: April 26, 2018, 09:34:33 PM »
Trust the process.

They'll win it all again in only 70 years or so.

Young pitching is such a crapshoot. I think Hahn has done a nice job overall and it's still early - I'm intrigued to see how it works out.

Obviously no guarantee it will work out like it did for the Cubs and Astros.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #680 on: April 26, 2018, 09:35:24 PM »
Quite a pitching duel in Chicago tonight. That's the Hendricks I like to see.

Edwards has been outstanding.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #681 on: April 27, 2018, 10:47:36 AM »
Young pitching is such a crapshoot. I think Hahn has done a nice job overall and it's still early - I'm intrigued to see how it works out.

No doubt there is risk.  What I like about how the Sox pitching prospects are set up is the depth and range.  They have guys at each level (including MLB) that could be top of the rotation guys, true Ace potential, like Rodon and Lopez at the MLB level, Kopech at the AAA level.  Dunning and Hansen at the AA level (though to our point he hasn't pitched due to an arm issue since spring training) and Cease at High A.  They also have a bunch of guys that are decent prospects for mid-rotation spots and just a bunch of guys, especially very high velocity guys that are working their way towards a job in the pen.

Now certainly some of these guys will get injured, some will stall out, some of the starters will end in the pen and so on, but if they get just 2 of the starters to pair with Rodon and Lopez, that would be great as they will also have money to spend, and finding guys to fill out the rotation shouldn't be as costly as it was for the Cubs, for example, who didn't really focus on pitching, and it cost them a ton of money (Lester, Lackey, Darvish) or prospect capital (Chapman and Quintana), and that was even with them hitting home runs with Arrieta and Hendricks.  But, they had the resources to do it, and hopefully if the Sox are in a similar situation, they will have the resources as well.  The Cubs having guys like Torres and Jimenez, who were essentially blocked and superfluous as trade assets was incredibly valuable.

I like how the Sox have been able to stockpile both hitting and pitching prospects, of course this came at the cost of trading some really good MLB players, which the Cubs and Astros didn't have, at least to the same degree.  But I like the depth of the farm both on the mound and in the lineup.  Just have to see who works out.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #682 on: April 27, 2018, 10:55:11 AM »
No doubt there is risk.  What I like about how the Sox pitching prospects are set up is the depth and range.  They have guys at each level (including MLB) that could be top of the rotation guys, true Ace potential, like Rodon and Lopez at the MLB level, Kopech at the AAA level.  Dunning and Hansen at the AA level (though to our point he hasn't pitched due to an arm issue since spring training) and Cease at High A.  They also have a bunch of guys that are decent prospects for mid-rotation spots and just a bunch of guys, especially very high velocity guys that are working their way towards a job in the pen.

Now certainly some of these guys will get injured, some will stall out, some of the starters will end in the pen and so on, but if they get just 2 of the starters to pair with Rodon and Lopez, that would be great as they will also have money to spend, and finding guys to fill out the rotation shouldn't be as costly as it was for the Cubs, for example, who didn't really focus on pitching, and it cost them a ton of money (Lester, Lackey, Darvish) or prospect capital (Chapman and Quintana), and that was even with them hitting home runs with Arrieta and Hendricks.  But, they had the resources to do it, and hopefully if the Sox are in a similar situation, they will have the resources as well.  The Cubs having guys like Torres and Jimenez, who were essentially blocked and superfluous as trade assets was incredibly valuable.

I like how the Sox have been able to stockpile both hitting and pitching prospects, of course this came at the cost of trading some really good MLB players, which the Cubs and Astros didn't have, at least to the same degree.  But I like the depth of the farm both on the mound and in the lineup.  Just have to see who works out.

Isn't there some serious concern regarding Rodon's future at this point due to the injuries? 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #683 on: April 27, 2018, 12:21:52 PM »
Isn't there some serious concern regarding Rodon's future at this point due to the injuries?

I would say there is concern, though not quite serious yet.  Shoulder crap is scary though.  How he shows this year will likely tell the tale. Reports are that he was already hitting mid to high 90s in extended spring training.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #684 on: April 28, 2018, 04:49:32 PM »
Brewers really aren't showing well against the Cubs this year.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #685 on: April 28, 2018, 04:55:50 PM »
Two straight good starts for Carson Fulmer following two straight disasters.  I guess that's the story on young pitching, but at least he is showing glimpses for hope. 

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #686 on: April 28, 2018, 05:21:53 PM »
The @Cubs have shut out the Brewers FOUR TIMES this month, tying the most shutouts by the Cubs against any opponent in any month all-time.

It is the first time the Brewers have been shut out four times in a month by any opponent.

https://twitter.com/statsbystats/status/990352476825182208?s=21

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #687 on: April 28, 2018, 05:24:48 PM »
Brewers really aren't showing well against the Cubs this year.

Cubs 6 - 1 vs Brewers and have allowed a total of 9 runs in the 7 games, 5 of which came in the only Milwaukee win. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #688 on: April 28, 2018, 06:26:46 PM »
The @Cubs have shut out the Brewers FOUR TIMES this month, tying the most shutouts by the Cubs against any opponent in any month all-time.

It is the first time the Brewers have been shut out four times in a month by any opponent.

Seems to be a bit of "big brother-little brother" going on here.  Overall the Brewers have been playing better than the Cubs, but in the head to head matchups, the Brewers can't get anything done.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #689 on: April 28, 2018, 07:45:14 PM »
Half of the brewers losses this year are to the Cubs.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #690 on: April 29, 2018, 04:10:06 PM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #691 on: April 29, 2018, 04:31:49 PM »
Half of the brewers losses this year are to the Cubs.

~50% of the Cubs wins too...

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #692 on: April 29, 2018, 07:55:20 PM »

Correction....five times....ouch.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #693 on: April 29, 2018, 08:06:54 PM »
Correction....five times....ouch.

Conveniently found time to stop back at Scoop again hey? What nice timing. Once again. Lol.

Chubbies fans sure seem excited about beating a team that isn’t worthy of the “rival” title in some April baseball to move a whopping one game ahead of them in th standings.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #694 on: April 29, 2018, 08:21:27 PM »
Conveniently found time to stop back at Scoop again hey? What nice timing. Once again. Lol.

Chubbies fans sure seem excited about beating a team that isn’t worthy of the “rival” title in some April baseball to move a whopping one game ahead of them in th standings.

Little man....took you all of 11 minutes that time....you were waiting, huh?  Finish reading through my post history yet?  Hilarious. 

Thought I was pretty clear for you last time....I don't live on here and need this place to feel better about myself like you do...averaging 5 posts a day.  Yes, weekends are much more convenient for me here....as is after we crushed and embarrassed your squad again.  That was the worst offensive performance I've ever seen in a four game series.

Not that excited about beating a team that only feasts on last place teams....although I am excited to see our starting pitching begin to catch to the bullpen....and get you going again....although that seems to be your routine here.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #695 on: April 29, 2018, 08:29:22 PM »
Little man....took you all of 11 minutes that time....you were waiting, huh?  Finish reading through my post history yet?  Hilarious. 

Thought I was pretty clear for you last time....I don't live on here and need this place to feel better about myself like you do...averaging 5 posts a day.  Yes, weekends are much more convenient for me here....as is after we crushed and embarrassed your squad again.  That was the worst offensive performance I've ever seen in a four game series.

Not that excited about beating a team that only feasts on last place teams....although I am excited to see our starting pitching begin to catch to the bullpen....and get you going again....although that seems to be your routine here.

And you responded in 15 minutes?  That 4 extra minutes to respond shows how much more important things you have to do than me! What does that have to do with anything?  Lol.  FIBs are hilarious.

What is also hilarious is when you start a post with "little man" despite the fact that you literally only show up when your team wins.  Takes a real big man to go into hiding when your team is losing and then come and pound your chest for all to see when your team wins!  Congrats bud!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 08:32:35 PM by wadesworld »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #696 on: April 29, 2018, 08:50:06 PM »
Fellas, take it to the other thread.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #697 on: April 29, 2018, 08:52:52 PM »
after we crushed and embarrassed your squad again. 

::)

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #698 on: April 29, 2018, 09:10:48 PM »
::)

Right....a very uncommon way for fans to refer to "their" team...how do you know I'm not Jason Heyward?

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #699 on: April 29, 2018, 09:23:05 PM »
And you responded in 15 minutes?  That 4 extra minutes to respond shows how much more important things you have to do than me! What does that have to do with anything?  Lol.  FIBs are hilarious.

What is also hilarious is when you start a post with "little man" despite the fact that you literally only show up when your team wins.  Takes a real big man to go into hiding when your team is losing and then come and pound your chest for all to see when your team wins!  Congrats bud!

Had to go back and proofread that one, huh?  You certainly are a glutton for punishment.  I haven't been here for 3 weeks and respond to a post of mine in minutes....coincidence, right?

I get it....you're frustrated that your team is getting waxed by the team you hate more than anything in the whole wide world....I'd be annoyed too if Chatwood had the same RBI total as Yelich, Cain, Braun, Shaw, etc. combined for the series.

Please don't take the fact that I wasn't here posting 10 times day like you as hiding....as far as I can tell, the Cubs have played better than average the last couple weeks...you surely noticed that this weekend.

I'll be back after "our" Milwaukee home games in June....but only if the series goes our way....I'll shy away otherwise.  I'm sure the others will enjoy your 400+ posts in the meantime. 

Until then...back to reading my post history young man...