[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498196 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #625 on: April 15, 2018, 09:57:47 PM »
Really wanted Colon to throw a perfect game tonight, I hope he pitches until he’s 50.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #626 on: April 16, 2018, 09:05:24 AM »
Really wanted Colon to throw a perfect game tonight, I hope he pitches until he’s 50.

He's an inspiration to fat guys everywhere.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #627 on: April 16, 2018, 10:59:52 AM »
Mets are very good, but always get hit by injuries and chances are will be again. If they can stay healthy they can challenge the Nats. Pirates will fall back. DBacks are very good and were last year as well. They can challenge the Dodgers.

The Mets are a great example of the risks to middling payroll teams of focusing on pitching prospects rather than hitting prospects.  If you have four top-30 pitchers with 225 IP, you will win your division. But the chances of that happening are nearly zero, there's just too much injury variance to build that way.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #628 on: April 18, 2018, 08:01:48 PM »
Even domes are cancelling games now.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #629 on: April 20, 2018, 07:34:02 AM »
The Red Sox are on as good a roll as I have ever seen them.  Just went to play the 13-3 Angels on the road and swept them by cumulative 27-3.  They are scary good right now.  Would rather they saved this for September/October, but they have been fun to watch so far.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #630 on: April 20, 2018, 08:43:34 AM »
The Red Sox are on as good a roll as I have ever seen them.  Just went to play the 13-3 Angels on the road and swept them by cumulative 27-3.  They are scary good right now.  Would rather they saved this for September/October, but they have been fun to watch so far.

They have been unreal.   If these are he versions of Mookie and Porcello they get for the year,  yikes.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #631 on: April 20, 2018, 12:35:15 PM »
Scherzer vs. Kershaw tonight in what is probably the best possible pitching matchup the MLB can offer.  Which probably means is will be a 6-5 game.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #632 on: April 20, 2018, 09:14:11 PM »
I really like the replay system. 3rd base ump absolutely blew a call in the cubs rockies game just now. I would be blowing up if it wasn't reviewable.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #633 on: April 20, 2018, 11:16:12 PM »
I really like the replay system. 3rd base ump absolutely blew a call in the cubs rockies game just now. I would be blowing up if it wasn't reviewable.

Just saw that. Not sure about what kind of angle he had, but that was a pretty horrendous call.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #634 on: April 21, 2018, 01:11:18 PM »
Justin Verlander played unwritten rules police yesterday.  Saying at the same time he didn't care about a SB attempt but specfically calling out the play.  Doesn't seem to make much sense.  He seemed to take offense that Tim Anderson was having fun in a game his team was losing.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #635 on: April 21, 2018, 02:41:45 PM »
Justin Verlander played unwritten rules police yesterday.  Saying at the same time he didn't care about a SB attempt but specfically calling out the play.  Doesn't seem to make much sense.  He seemed to take offense that Tim Anderson was having fun in a game his team was losing.

https://deadspin.com/justin-verlander-is-a-sensitive-baby-1825444290

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #636 on: April 21, 2018, 02:49:44 PM »
https://deadspin.com/justin-verlander-is-a-sensitive-baby-1825444290

Apparently no team should be allowed to score once they fall behind.  The good news is that this will cut down on the length of games.

Oh and no joy.  None whatsoever.  The only way to properly play is with stoicism at all times.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #637 on: April 21, 2018, 03:59:12 PM »
I'm surprised the Braves didn't complain after they had a 10-2 lead and the Cubs tried to score runs when they were way behind.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #638 on: April 21, 2018, 04:21:04 PM »
Yeah.  Verlander seems to be taking this silliness to a new level.  "It's the 5th inning!  Stop trying already!"

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #639 on: April 21, 2018, 05:30:54 PM »
Danny Farquhar, praying for a full recovery.  Brain hemorrhage in the dugout.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

tower912

• All American
« Reply #640 on: April 21, 2018, 06:16:10 PM »
Indeed
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #641 on: April 21, 2018, 07:21:03 PM »
Baez is playing on another level now. Way better at bats, lot less of the homerun swing at the dirt curve.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #642 on: April 21, 2018, 08:54:36 PM »

Just terrible.  Couldn't believe how serious it was with how it was played off initially.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #643 on: April 22, 2018, 08:01:07 AM »

Terrible. Prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #644 on: April 23, 2018, 12:04:51 AM »
So I think Verlander's comments have been taken out of context quite a bit. When I read what he said I don't think he ever had any issues with unwritten rules. He seemed to have more of an issue with the other player bragging about getting a base knock and then a given ''stolen" base. Then his bragging back was just him showing up the other guy.

Not that I agree with what he did or anything. But I can say I've had the same happen while playing sports. Some guy getting a bit to chippy about making some half guarded shot while being down by 15. Usually got me to spin move into him for a bucket or swipe a ball on him the next play and give him some lip.

In conclusion didn't really ever see him argue about unwritten rules.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #645 on: April 23, 2018, 08:26:51 AM »
Scary HBP in a strange Cubs-Rockies game yesterday. Glad to hear that Bryant has passed the concussion tests and only has a cut over his eye from the sunglasses. I can't imagine that pitch being intentional so it was odd that the Cubs had two coaches ejected. On a play like that, umps typically let benches vent a bit. Something pretty harsh must have been said. I was glad to see the Cubs not retaliate...though Arenado might be wise to wear some extra protection when the Rox comes to Wrigley next week.

The Baez-LeMahieu argument was bizarre too. There was no reason for the ump to approach Javy during all that. An infielder has every right to stand in front of the runner if he wants as long as he isn't blocking his path. It was funny to hear the contrast between the Cubs' announcers view of the play (basically what I said) and the Rockies' announcers claiming that stealing signs is part of the game and Baez was in the wrong.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #646 on: April 23, 2018, 09:20:26 AM »
One of these days, a retaliatory beanball is going to kill a superstar or turn him into a vegetable.

I hope it doesn't happen, but the way these guys throw, it's almost bound to.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #647 on: April 23, 2018, 09:39:05 AM »
One of these days, a retaliatory beanball is going to kill a superstar or turn him into a vegetable.

I hope it doesn't happen, but the way these guys throw, it's almost bound to.

What if MLB instituted a rule that if a pitcher hits a batter above the shoulders, he's automatically ejected and warnings are issued to both benches. They could obviously argue that it's being done with players' safety in mind - 1) if a pitcher's control is that poor on a particular day, get him out of there and 2) it should help decrease retaliative bean balls since warnings were issued.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #648 on: April 23, 2018, 11:11:29 AM »
Scary HBP in a strange Cubs-Rockies game yesterday. Glad to hear that Bryant has passed the concussion tests and only has a cut over his eye from the sunglasses. I can't imagine that pitch being intentional so it was odd that the Cubs had two coaches ejected. On a play like that, umps typically let benches vent a bit. Something pretty harsh must have been said. I was glad to see the Cubs not retaliate...though Arenado might be wise to wear some extra protection when the Rox comes to Wrigley next week.

The Baez-LeMahieu argument was bizarre too. There was no reason for the ump to approach Javy during all that. An infielder has every right to stand in front of the runner if he wants as long as he isn't blocking his path. It was funny to hear the contrast between the Cubs' announcers view of the play (basically what I said) and the Rockies' announcers claiming that stealing signs is part of the game and Baez was in the wrong.

I heard afterwards what the Rockies announcers said and I was astounded by the stupidity of their comments. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #649 on: April 23, 2018, 11:13:26 AM »
What if MLB instituted a rule that if a pitcher hits a batter above the shoulders, he's automatically ejected and warnings are issued to both benches. They could obviously argue that it's being done with players' safety in mind - 1) if a pitcher's control is that poor on a particular day, get him out of there and 2) it should help decrease retaliative bean balls since warnings were issued.

That's tough though because as good as pitchers are if they are trying to pitch inside and one happens to get away early in the game, I don't think a team should lose the SP because of that.  You eject a SP in the early innings and suddenly the bullpen is spent and it can impact the pitching staff for days to come. 

feedback