[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498796 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #650 on: April 23, 2018, 10:17:16 PM »
What if MLB instituted a rule that if a pitcher hits a batter above the shoulders, he's automatically ejected and warnings are issued to both benches. They could obviously argue that it's being done with players' safety in mind - 1) if a pitcher's control is that poor on a particular day, get him out of there and 2) it should help decrease retaliative bean balls since warnings were issued.

That would be OK. Fine him and maybe suspend him, too.

Might there be a situation or two in which somebody who wasn't actually headhunting gets unfairly punished, as VBMG correctly says? I suppose. But I'd be willing to make that tradeoff.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #651 on: April 24, 2018, 11:03:44 AM »
That would be OK. Fine him and maybe suspend him, too.

Might there be a situation or two in which somebody who wasn't actually headhunting gets unfairly punished, as VBMG correctly says? I suppose. But I'd be willing to make that tradeoff.

I'd make that tradeoff as well. Marquez definitely wasn't throwing at Bryant on Sunday but he still let one get away and the results could have been catastrophic. If you can't control your pitches better than that, you need to go.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #652 on: April 24, 2018, 11:51:58 AM »
What if MLB instituted a rule that if a pitcher hits a batter above the shoulders, he's automatically ejected and warnings are issued to both benches. They could obviously argue that it's being done with players' safety in mind - 1) if a pitcher's control is that poor on a particular day, get him out of there and 2) it should help decrease retaliative bean balls since warnings were issued.

Since I am gonna argue a little here, let me just say that I consider you one of the better posters on scoop..... but, (and I may be a bit silly here)

Just make the players wear bubble wrap, then. Or eliminate humans and use robots. You are basically advocating that pitchers should be banned from pitching inside. The game would be destroyed and .350+ hitters would be a dime a dozen. I think headhunting is pretty obvious and is dealt with just fine now.

If a player should be fined or suspended for missing their target inside, should we then suspend guys when they miss 2 feet outside? Should they be required to deliver a pitch within 6" of the glove? Watch how often every single game, that pitchers miss the catcher's target by more that a foot. A lot.

Furthermore, there could be no more baseball on a wet field ever. The ball gets wet and could slip out of the pitcher's hand. Surely, he must be suspended for that.

As I said, I carried it too far and got silly. But having this conversation because a precious Cubbie got hit is just as silly.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #653 on: April 24, 2018, 12:06:55 PM »
Since I am gonna argue a little here, let me just say that I consider you one of the better posters on scoop..... but, (and I may be a bit silly here)

Just make the players wear bubble wrap, then. Or eliminate humans and use robots. You are basically advocating that pitchers should be banned from pitching inside. The game would be destroyed and .350+ hitters would be a dime a dozen. I think headhunting is pretty obvious and is dealt with just fine now.

If a player should be fined or suspended for missing their target inside, should we then suspend guys when they miss 2 feet outside? Should they be required to deliver a pitch within 6" of the glove? Watch how often every single game, that pitchers miss the catcher's target by more that a foot. A lot.

Furthermore, there could be no more baseball on a wet field ever. The ball gets wet and could slip out of the pitcher's hand. Surely, he must be suspended for that.

As I said, I carried it too far and got silly. But having this conversation because a precious Cubbie got hit is just as silly.

I won't speak for MM, just myself.

I'm not saying fine or suspend them for pitching inside. I'm saying fine or suspend them if they hit a batter in the head. If a major-leaguer has such poor control that he puts his fellow competitors in serious - maybe even fatal - danger, then he can pay and sit.

Just how I feel. Not saying if it's right or wrong ... but it's right - ha!

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #654 on: April 24, 2018, 12:42:39 PM »
I won't speak for MM, just myself.

I'm not saying fine or suspend them for pitching inside. I'm saying fine or suspend them if they hit a batter in the head. If a major-leaguer has such poor control that he puts his fellow competitors in serious - maybe even fatal - danger, then he can pay and sit.

Just how I feel. Not saying if it's right or wrong ... but it's right - ha!

Being serious this time.... I generally agree with what you say.  I think, though, that headhunting is pretty easy to spot so I wouldn't suspend every pitcher who hits someone high. I don't wanna treat a guy who has a pitch slip out of his hand the same as a guy who is intentionally trying to hurt someone.

But as far as suspensions, I advocate a much longer suspension - maybe 20 to 30 days - if it was intentional.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #655 on: April 24, 2018, 01:10:05 PM »

I disagree that pitchers would no longer feel as though they can pitch inside. An ejection would only be after a HBP above the shoulders. I get what you're saying though and perhaps an automatic ejection takes things too far.

I didn't suggest this simply because a Cub got hit. Players get hit by pitches all the time. Bryant has been hit 7 times already. Rizzo has led the league in HBP in 2 of the last 3 seasons. It's part of the game.

Player safety should also be part of the game and when a player gets hit in the head, the pitcher is at fault. It also tends to lead to more bean balls and, clearly, a decrease in player safety. Maybe the obvious answer is to come down harder on players/teams who retaliate. I'm all in for harsher suspensions when a pitcher intentionally throws at a batter. I don't want to let a pitcher who drills someone in the head off the hook though. Perhaps a strong fine would suffice.

Being serious this time.... I generally agree with what you say.  I think, though, that headhunting is pretty easy to spot so I wouldn't suspend every pitcher who hits someone high. I don't wanna treat a guy who has a pitch slip out of his hand the same as a guy who is intentionally trying to hurt someone.

But as far as suspensions, I advocate a much longer suspension - maybe 20 to 30 days - if it was intentional.

I agree with the bolded, which is why those pitchers wouldn't be treated the same.

If a pitcher inadvertently hits a batter above the shoulders, he gets ejected and/or fined.

If a pitcher intentionally throws at a player, he gets ejected plus a long suspension.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #656 on: April 24, 2018, 04:01:35 PM »

I didn't suggest this simply because a Cub got hit. Players get hit by pitches all the time. Bryant has been hit 7 times already. Rizzo has led the league in HBP in 2 of the last 3 seasons. It's part of the game.

I knew that, MM.

Just can't pass up a chance with you or VBMG   8-)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #657 on: April 24, 2018, 04:28:44 PM »

It should be noted that some players - especially Rizzo - invite getting hit by where they stand at the plate.

But again, it's a far cry from hitting him in the thigh or arm as opposed to in the head. He doesn't put his head over the plate.

I like the suggestion of a long suspension if it's deemed intentional but an ejection for any beaning.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #658 on: April 25, 2018, 09:05:31 AM »

I knew that, MM.

Just can't pass up a chance with you or VBMG   8-)

Got it. Still, it helped my response flow nicely so thanks!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #659 on: April 25, 2018, 11:14:44 AM »
I disagree that pitchers would no longer feel as though they can pitch inside. An ejection would only be after a HBP above the shoulders. I get what you're saying though and perhaps an automatic ejection takes things too far.

Player safety should also be part of the game and when a player gets hit in the head, the pitcher is at fault. It also tends to lead to more bean balls and, clearly, a decrease in player safety. Maybe the obvious answer is to come down harder on players/teams who retaliate. I'm all in for harsher suspensions when a pitcher intentionally throws at a batter. I don't want to let a pitcher who drills someone in the head off the hook though. Perhaps a strong fine would suffice.

I agree with the bolded, which is why those pitchers wouldn't be treated the same.

If a pitcher inadvertently hits a batter above the shoulders, he gets ejected and/or fined.

If a pitcher intentionally throws at a player, he gets ejected plus a long suspension.

I only care about the Cardinals' unwritten rules.  The rest of this is just fluff.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #660 on: April 25, 2018, 04:31:52 PM »
1st place team in the NL Central has been getting killed with injuries.

Yelich was DL for a while. Knebel & Thames out a couple months each.

That's the 2 best players on the team plus another of the top 7 or 8.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #661 on: April 25, 2018, 04:36:30 PM »

They'll be ok. They have tremendous depth. Maybe Thames can resume like it's April when he comes back. And getting Knebel and Nelson back will be like mid-season acquisitions. Not saying they'll come out firing on all cylinders, but they will be key down the stretch.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #662 on: April 25, 2018, 05:03:23 PM »
I only care about the Cardinals' unwritten rules.  The rest of this is just fluff.

Why did you use Teal?

Kinda miss the days of Drysdale, Gibson, Marichal, Jenkins and even Seaver.

You got beaned, you knew it. They owned the plate. They didn't headhunt because their control was so good that if they want to bean you, their radar found exactly the place for the bean and... OUCH.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #663 on: April 25, 2018, 06:52:17 PM »
Nice article on the early season results for Baez and Schwarber and the underlying approach behind them.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/schwarber-and-baez-are-mashing-but-their-approaches-are-more-impressive-than-their-numbers/

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #664 on: April 25, 2018, 07:05:20 PM »

What seemed like an obvious error in not trying to trade some of the young outfield talent after signing Cain and trading for Yelich (Phillips and/or Santana in particular) now looks like another case of “Maybe Stearns knows what he’s doing...” Having the ability to move Braun to first while still having a stacked outfield is very nice. And having had the extra OF when Yelich was on the DL was big.

One knit to pick here, Hader is the Brewers’ best player.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #665 on: April 25, 2018, 08:04:41 PM »

You might be right, Wades. I have it Knebel and Yelich, then Hader. I have no doubt, though, that they would have hit the skids without Hader after Knebel went down.

Forgot to mention earlier than they also lost 2 other starters = Arcia and Pina.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #666 on: April 25, 2018, 09:42:45 PM »
What seemed like an obvious error in not trying to trade some of the young outfield talent after signing Cain and trading for Yelich (Phillips and/or Santana in particular) now looks like another case of “Maybe Stearns knows what he’s doing...” Having the ability to move Braun to first while still having a stacked outfield is very nice. And having had the extra OF when Yelich was on the DL was big.

I think Stearns may be the boy genius I was hoping for, few misses and has assembled a playoff contending club in only a couple years.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #667 on: April 25, 2018, 10:06:48 PM »

They will be PED'ing it up and on the road to recovery in no time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #668 on: April 25, 2018, 10:07:45 PM »
They will be PED'ing it up and on the road to recovery in no time.

Brewers fans can only hope.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #669 on: April 25, 2018, 10:18:13 PM »
Brewers fans can only hope.

Does this count? I need a ruling.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #670 on: April 26, 2018, 12:52:00 AM »

Best in his niche? Probably. He's awesome. But Cain and Yelich are the best players.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #671 on: April 26, 2018, 01:29:12 AM »
The White Sox are only 7.5 out of first!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #672 on: April 26, 2018, 06:36:42 AM »
Best in his niche? Probably. He's awesome. But Cain and Yelich are the best players.

What’s his “niche?” He comes in anywhere from like the 5th inning to the 9th inning. He’s given up 2 earned runs in 15 1/3 innings this season and is eleventh in strikeouts this year. That’s right, eleventh in all of baseball in strikeouts having pitched 15 1/3 innings.

In my opinion he’s been not only the best player in the Brewers but also the most valuable/most important Brewer.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #673 on: April 26, 2018, 09:01:28 AM »
That’s right, eleventh in all of baseball in strikeouts having pitched 15 1/3 innings.

He's been very good, but Hader's 31 strikeouts makes him tied for 30th in all of baseball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #674 on: April 26, 2018, 09:09:51 AM »
What’s his “niche?” He comes in anywhere from like the 5th inning to the 9th inning. He’s given up 2 earned runs in 15 1/3 innings this season and is eleventh in strikeouts this year. That’s right, eleventh in all of baseball in strikeouts having pitched 15 1/3 innings.

In my opinion he’s been not only the best player in the Brewers but also the most valuable/most important Brewer.

I would have to say that someone's who played only 15 innings out of 225+ can not be the most important player. Maybe he is the best, but he can't really be the most important.