[Today at 03:40:45 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette NBA Thread  (Read 439239 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Marquette NBA Thread
« Reply #525 on: February 28, 2019, 09:23:03 AM »
Can we bring the GOAT discussion to this thread?
Hoping D Wade and the Heat makes the playoffs.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #526 on: February 28, 2019, 08:39:22 PM »
Henry signs contract for rest of the season.  Hopefully he can show enough so the Knicks pick up the option.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/28/henry-ellenson-turns-fast-start-into-longer-knicks-contract/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #527 on: February 28, 2019, 10:01:38 PM »
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #528 on: March 05, 2019, 09:28:21 PM »
DJO has been playing well all season for Iowa Wolves in g league. Just won player of the month for February.  Hopefully, something good happens for DJO.

https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-call-up-candidates-darius-johnson-odom-rob-gray-derek-cooke-jr-chinanu-onuaku-dusty-hannahs/

Also in 12 days his suspension for doping expires. So who knows he may back in Italy playing with Travis or Jamil again soon.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:48:54 AM by Herman Cain »
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #529 on: March 26, 2019, 09:43:23 PM »
DJO finished up a very successful season with the Iowa Wolves. Unfortunately he was not called up by the T Wolves. However, now that his drug suspension is over he has signed a contract to finish out the season in Italy. I hope he plays for the MU TBT again this year.
https://sportando.basketball/en/reggio-emilia-signs-darius-johnson-odom-and-darel-poirier/

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/darius-johnson-odom-heads-to-italy/
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:53:44 PM by Herman Cain »
                       ---Al McGuire

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #530 on: April 09, 2019, 10:07:47 PM »
DWade eliminated from the playoffs  :'(

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #532 on: June 11, 2019, 09:22:14 PM »
Chief Cohen getting some attention in NBA Land.

https://twitter.com/GeryWoelfel/status/1138490513647112192
                       ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #533 on: June 11, 2019, 09:23:57 PM »
Chief Cohen getting some attention in NBA Land.

https://twitter.com/GeryWoelfel/status/1138490513647112192

Summer league.  Good luck to Sandy.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #534 on: June 14, 2019, 08:50:35 PM »
JFB has opted for free agency. Sixers can pay him more than others, but it's nice to think about where he might end up.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #535 on: June 15, 2019, 05:01:53 PM »
JFB has opted for free agency. Sixers can pay him more than others, but it's nice to think about where he might end up.

Flakers
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #536 on: June 17, 2019, 01:22:50 PM »
Flakers

It wasn't funny the first 10 times...

If he travels west, I think JFB ends up with the Clippers.  Leonard and JFB with the nice young pieces they have.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #537 on: June 19, 2019, 08:06:34 AM »
It wasn't funny the first 10 times...

If he travels west, I think JFB ends up with the Clippers.  Leonard and JFB with the nice young pieces they have.

I said it twice.....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #538 on: June 19, 2019, 09:57:47 AM »
I said it twice.....
Sounds like you should retire it after this brief unsuccessful run.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 06:57:24 PM by Anti-Dentite »
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #539 on: June 19, 2019, 02:08:42 PM »
Jae's headed to Memphis. Traded with Grayson Allen, Kyle Korver, and 2 picks for Mike Conley.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #540 on: June 19, 2019, 02:35:52 PM »
Jae's headed to Memphis. Traded with Grayson Allen, Kyle Korver, and 2 picks for Mike Conley.

I'm a big fan of Conley's and would love to have him on the Bucks.  That's a pretty steep price for a 32 year old though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #541 on: June 19, 2019, 02:50:36 PM »
I'm a big fan of Conley's and would love to have him on the Bucks.  That's a pretty steep price for a 32 year old though.

I don't think they overpaid. I think as of now it is a win for Utah.

2 bench guys and a shooter at the end of his career. Plus 2 draft picks that look to be in the 20s.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #542 on: June 19, 2019, 02:59:53 PM »
Solid Research Report on the trade.
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/2019/06/19/mike-conley-trade-memphis-grizzlies-utah-jazz/1499726001/
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #543 on: June 19, 2019, 03:31:19 PM »

2 bench guys and a shooter at the end of his career. Plus 2 draft picks that look to be in the 20s.

Agreed. If healthy, Conley is still one of the top 5-10 PGs in the world.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #544 on: June 19, 2019, 03:45:48 PM »

In a way, it makes sense. The Warriors dynasty appears over - or at least for a year - and the west is there for the taking, especially with Houston apparently in shambles. Added to that, Toronto showed this year that bold, risky moves can reap big rewards.

All that said, how much better does Conley make the Jazz. Does this push the past the Lakers with a (presumably) health LeBron and AD? Probably not. Does this make them better than Portland or Denver? I'm a bit skeptical.
I laud them for the effort, but I don't see this moving the needle for them all that much.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #545 on: June 19, 2019, 06:37:41 PM »
In a way, it makes sense. The Warriors dynasty appears over - or at least for a year - and the west is there for the taking, especially with Houston apparently in shambles. Added to that, Toronto showed this year that bold, risky moves can reap big rewards.

All that said, how much better does Conley make the Jazz. Does this push the past the Lakers with a (presumably) health LeBron and AD? Probably not. Does this make them better than Portland or Denver? I'm a bit skeptical.
I laud them for the effort, but I don't see this moving the needle for them all that much.

Agreed.  This all but guarantees Rubio walks, they lose 2 of their more reliable shooters (their weakness), and they get a guy who will be 32 years old, has consistently had injury issues, and is  going to make $66M over the next 2 seasons.  In a league where you need the elite of the elite to win a title, they don't have that.  I see a lot of "solid" to "very good" players and no "great" players on this team.  When's the last time a team without a top 5 player in the NBA won a title?  I'm not sold this team has even a top 20 player in the NBA (Gobert is good, but offensively limited).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #546 on: June 20, 2019, 01:10:47 PM »
Agreed.  This all but guarantees Rubio walks, they lose 2 of their more reliable shooters (their weakness), and they get a guy who will be 32 years old, has consistently had injury issues, and is  going to make $66M over the next 2 seasons.  In a league where you need the elite of the elite to win a title, they don't have that.  I see a lot of "solid" to "very good" players and no "great" players on this team.  When's the last time a team without a top 5 player in the NBA won a title?  I'm not sold this team has even a top 20 player in the NBA (Gobert is good, but offensively limited).

The 2004 pistons
Bring back FFP!!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #547 on: June 20, 2019, 01:23:52 PM »
The 2004 pistons

Yup.  That's the last team I can think of.  So 15 years ago.  And that team had one player who will most likely make the HOF (Billups) and another one who is a coin flip for it (Wallace, as crazy as it is to think a guy who never averaged double figures in scoring for a season could be a HOFer).  I'm not sure the Jazz have any future HOFers.  Gobert could get there eventually.  I personally don't see it with Mitchell and I don't think Conley has even made an AS Game (which he should have by now).

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #548 on: June 20, 2019, 04:39:55 PM »

I agree. Conley just makes them a bit better - not a favorite.

My point was that Memphis got not very much in return. There was no doubt that the Griz will be Ja’s team, so apparently that was the best offer they got.

I just don’t see

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #549 on: June 20, 2019, 05:10:08 PM »
I agree. Conley just makes them a bit better - not a favorite.

My point was that Memphis got not very much in return. There was no doubt that the Griz will be Ja’s team, so apparently that was the best offer they got.

I think for Memphis, the return is not paying Mike Conley $67 million over the next two years. He's a good player and all, but an oft-injured point guard on the wrong side of 30 is useless for a rebuilding team.