[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1894002 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #6400 on: April 18, 2019, 09:16:47 AM »
Thanks for the responses everybody.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6401 on: April 18, 2019, 09:20:01 AM »
For those of you one year ahead of me in this process (we are just doing tours now), are you seeing the packages offered by schools to be primarily needs-based, or a combination of needs and academic based assistance?  We're winnowing down the schools to apply to, but we've heard really varying stories on that aspect of the packages schools offer.

Thanks for any perspective you all have.

Answered a few times from others, but everything I saw was academic based.  I would say pick a range of schools small, medium & large and public & private and in-state & out-of-state.  You'll see a range of offers. 

Saw out-of-state publics and privates making offers to her that would be the equivalent to UConn which is one of the most expensive in-state tuition schools out there.

Went to a few financial aid seminars and there is thing that some schools practice which is to offer only the minimal amount they think they need to offer for the student to say yes not necessarily what the kid should be offered for their academics.  There's a term for but I can't remember this morning.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6402 on: April 18, 2019, 09:21:08 AM »
Any particular program/major that your daughter is looking into?

Biology and she wants to go into science research.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6403 on: April 18, 2019, 09:36:59 AM »
99% sure my daughter is headed to Xavier, our BE rival.

Having a child at a BE rival can be a lot of fun...when MU wins.  Wagering is encouraged.  I enjoyed the thought of her walking around Georgetown's campus wearing a Marquette jacket after the first game this past season (let's not discuss the rematch).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6404 on: April 18, 2019, 09:39:40 AM »

I hate to break it to you, but that likely means that Marquette's freshman class has the size and profile they were seeking and therefore wasn't going to budge from their offer.

But Xavier is a great place and she will get a chance to make it hers.

You're probably right. 

My kid's attitude was that she still had a lot of great choices if choice one didn't work.

I was catching earfuls from family and friends for various reasons on "why won't they budge....", but I'm not going into that.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6405 on: April 18, 2019, 09:44:23 AM »
You're probably right. 

My kid's attitude was that she still had a lot of great choices if choice one didn't work.

Amen!  Actually her attitude should be "screw them" and burn every piece of Marquette gear she owns!!!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6406 on: April 18, 2019, 09:48:25 AM »

Very respectable and challenging career choice. I did Biology undergrad at MU and later got a Masters in Physiology. At one point I was headed for a career in research, but found it wasn't a good fit for me. I have great admiration for people who follow this path.

Good luck to your daughter.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6407 on: April 18, 2019, 09:49:00 AM »
Having a child at a BE rival can be a lot of fun...when MU wins.  Wagering is encouraged.  I enjoyed the thought of her walking around Georgetown's campus wearing a Marquette jacket after the first game this past season (let's not discuss the rematch).

My younger daughter is interested in Georgetown and will apply in 2021 for a somewhat weird reason. 

When in middle school, our town has a program to connect students with people looking for part time / one time help with yard work or something similar.  The first person she was offered was a near retired woman who just became a widow.  My daughter has basically been helping her 2 hours a week for the last 3 years now.  Turns out the woman's best friend is the mother of Georgetown President John J. DeGioia, who I didn't realize grew up in my town. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6408 on: April 18, 2019, 09:56:02 AM »

Amen!  Actually her attitude should be "screw them" and burn every piece of Marquette gear she owns!!!

Interestingly, both of my kids have zero interest in UConn.

Older daughter did not even apply.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6409 on: April 18, 2019, 06:19:39 PM »
Interestingly, both of my kids have zero interest in UConn.

Older daughter did not even apply.

They should put that on their Ivy applications... clearly their intelligence is top 5 percentile in CT. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #6410 on: April 19, 2019, 07:45:23 AM »
Could be, but I don't think it's any coincidence the board's two most unabashed Wojophiles (Chico and Wades) are on the down low since this news broke.

On Monday I was dealing with major NFL stuff, that is in the news and still going on if you wish to look it up.

Tuesday my daughter had her third surgery in under 60 days at Children’s Hospital Orange County.  She did great, no more of those thankfully.

Wednesday I was traveling to be with my mom who I am with until Easter as well as seeing my son play.....she is sleeping at the moment giving me a few minutes to read the hysteria here.

I’ll be happy to comment further when I have less important things to do here....right now that isn’t the case.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #6411 on: April 19, 2019, 07:54:04 AM »
On Monday I was dealing with major NFL stuff, that is in the news and still going on if you wish to look it up.

Tuesday my daughter had her third surgery in under 60 days at Children’s Hospital Orange County.  She did great, no more of those thankfully.

Wednesday I was traveling to be with my mom who I am with until Easter as well as seeing my son play.....she is sleeping at the moment giving me a few minutes to read the hysteria here.

I’ll be happy to comment further when I have less important things to do here....right now that isn’t the case.

Thanks for helping us understand where priorities are ranked.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6412 on: April 19, 2019, 10:01:01 AM »
Today, I'm going to create another thread on a topic that's being discussed in 72 other threads because my opinion is important.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6413 on: April 19, 2019, 10:03:52 AM »
Today, I'm going to create another thread on a topic that's being discussed in 72 other threads because my opinion is important.

Is it on Arbys, because you can never have enough Arbys.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6414 on: April 19, 2019, 10:06:27 AM »

Knock yourself out.  But, be aware that I will counter with a devastating refutation of your opinion because I cannot countenance someone being wrong on the internet.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #6415 on: April 19, 2019, 10:20:57 AM »
Knock yourself out.  But, be aware that I will counter with a devastating refutation of your opinion because I cannot countenance someone being wrong on the internet.

Make sure you do it in a second thread.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6416 on: April 19, 2019, 10:51:42 AM »
Scoop needs an upvote/downvote function so we can keep track of fake internet points.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6417 on: April 19, 2019, 10:54:13 AM »
Scoop needs an upvote/downvote function so we can keep track of fake internet points.

Can this result into relegation. If at the bottom for too long you can only post in the MU Scoop Suggestions board. 

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #6418 on: April 19, 2019, 11:09:00 AM »

Very respectable and challenging career choice. I did Biology undergrad at MU and later got a Masters in Physiology. At one point I was headed for a career in research, but found it wasn't a good fit for me. I have great admiration for people who follow this path.

Good luck to your daughter.

Good Lord, how many degrees did you collect along the way, Doc?

And it's not like they were in Basket Weaving from East Bum F#ck but professional studies from top schools. I guess that's how you get get placed at Mayo.

I have a couple good friends and colleagues at Fred Hutch. Sitting in the room with them is humbling. They have supported Lee Hartwell and Linda Buck in doing God's work. And I do mean that seriously. Incredibly important work in the fight against cancer.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #6419 on: April 19, 2019, 11:12:17 AM »

I’ll be happy to comment further when I have less important things to do here....

WTFO? You better get your sh1t together, mister.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6420 on: April 19, 2019, 11:41:31 AM »

Encourage her to get involved in undergraduate research early, and to not be afraid to reach out to any professors, whose research she finds interesting, even before she gets on campus.

Also, have her look at STEM or REU programs at major research centers to get in summer research in top labs (while making some money too).

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6421 on: April 19, 2019, 12:31:45 PM »

Good Lord, how many degrees did you collect along the way, Doc?

Too freaking many, Crash. When I finally finished law school, the family joke was that I was probably going to bullfighting school next….

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #6422 on: April 19, 2019, 01:15:08 PM »
Too freaking many, Crash. When I finally finished law school, the family joke was that I was probably going to bullfighting school next….

I think this place might be the next best to that bullfighting school.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #6423 on: April 19, 2019, 01:23:50 PM »
going to bullfighting school next….

So what? You went to cockfighting college instead??

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6424 on: April 19, 2019, 01:32:23 PM »
Could be, but I don't think it's any coincidence the board's two most unabashed Wojophiles (Chico and Wades) are on the down low since this news broke.

Unbashed Wojophile?  On the down low?

Not sure why I decided to come in here today, but I haven't been in the "NM" thread since it was very old (at least not that I remember/without accidentally just clicking the link without thinking).  I don't even know what's been discussed in here for almost 700 pages.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback