[Today at 02:02:23 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by onepost
[Today at 12:53:48 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1931756 times)

cven7

• Walk-On
Re: NM
« Reply #9375 on: December 11, 2020, 04:50:38 PM »
Pronunciation pet peeve of the day: people who say 'nu - kya - lur' instead of 'nuclear'.

I just don't get it. It would be one thing if they didn't know how it's supposed to be pronounced, but several high-ranking and highly educated people regularly mispronounced the word. A recent POTUS; a 'national security expert' I saw interviewed the other day. It isn't a regional accent or dialect thing - I have heard it from people with a Boston twang and a strong southern drawl. And it isn't as though you couldn't train yourself. I can very easily pronounce it incorrectly if I make the effort; why can't they intentionally pronounce it correctly?

Homer Simpson has strong opinions on this matter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nth4RqqmQZ4

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9376 on: December 16, 2020, 01:15:02 PM »
I haven't been to Arby's since pre-pandemic at work, so like a year.  But there's one near my house .. I was getting lunch for me and my sons just now.   

Pull up to the Arby's drive-thru .. the gal says "Hey, did you used to go to the Arby's in Waukesha?"

Sure enough, she looked familiar too.  We exchanged Arby's pleasantries.  I got some extra Arby's sauce.

Not sure if that's terribly sad (for both of us) or just another day in the Arby's universe. :-\

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9377 on: December 16, 2020, 01:20:52 PM »
I haven't been to Arby's since pre-pandemic at work, so like a year.  But there's one near my house .. I was getting lunch for me and my sons just now.   

Pull up to the Arby's drive-thru .. the gal says "Hey, did you used to go to the Arby's in Waukesha?"

Sure enough, she looked familiar too.  We exchanged Arby's pleasantries.  I got some extra Arby's sauce.

Not sure if that's terribly sad (for both of us) or just another day in the Arby's universe. :-\

Does 'Would you like to see my meat?' qualify as an Arby's pleasantry?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9378 on: December 16, 2020, 02:39:50 PM »

Does 'Would you like to see my meat?' qualify as an Arby's pleasantry?

I think it has to be “meats” (i.e., plural) to qualify as an Arby’s pleasantry.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #9379 on: December 16, 2020, 04:57:25 PM »
It's good to know Sarah Fuller (Vandy soccer keeper/football kicker) has her Texas priorities in order:

https://twitter.com/SarahFuller_27/status/1339326843300831233?s=19

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9380 on: December 16, 2020, 05:05:03 PM »
I think it has to be “meats” (i.e., plural) to qualify as an Arby’s pleasantry.

There are several species of horse

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9381 on: December 16, 2020, 05:24:23 PM »
Kwik Trip >>>>>>>> Bucees.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9382 on: December 16, 2020, 05:25:13 PM »
It's good to know Sarah Fuller (Vandy soccer keeper/football kicker) has her Texas priorities in order:

https://twitter.com/SarahFuller_27/status/1339326843300831233?s=19

Interesting. Never heard of Bucees, but then again I haven't spent much time in Texas.

I do like their slogan: "Where the Beaver Never Sleeps."

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #9383 on: December 16, 2020, 05:49:17 PM »

Interesting. Never heard of Bucees, but then again I haven't spent much time in Texas.

Ask TAMU about Buc-ee's. He knows.

You could spend all day there.

They are also in Georgia and Alabama. They are expanding to Tennessee, North Carolina, Florida, South Carolina.

Years ago, while in Houston, my friend's mom, a kind, soft spoken lady whispered to me, "Have you ever been to Buc-ee's? "  I said no. She just smiled and quietly took us there.

When we arrived, there was a giant colorful sign with Beaver logo. At first I was skeptical thinking, okay why are we at this enormous gas station/convenience store? She then whispered, go inside.

Buc-ees is its own city. It has everything, in every direction, and its very clean. Massive. When I eventually came back to the car, I said oh my gosh that place is amazing. She quietly smiled a proud smile when we left. I've been team Buc-ee's ever since.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 05:57:59 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #9384 on: December 16, 2020, 05:56:39 PM »
Kwik Trip >>>>>>>> Bucees.

Kwik Trip or Quik Trip? Although QuikTrip often goes by QT for short. (QT is mostly a Southern Midwest, Plains, Southwest based in Oklahoma but has MO TX, AZ)

And Kwik Trip (I believe mostly WI, MN based in WI) goes by Kwik Star in Iowa.

They're roughly pretty similar. I'd probably say QT then Kwik Trip.  But I'd take Buc-ee's over either one.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 05:59:07 PM by shoothoops »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9385 on: December 16, 2020, 06:23:09 PM »

Ever since Scott worked at the Waukesha location back in the late 90s, the customer service at that location has been top notch.  Top notch!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9386 on: December 16, 2020, 08:41:06 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9387 on: December 16, 2020, 08:45:08 PM »

They advertise themselves as the cleanest bathrooms along the highway and they deliver.

There's a Bucees roughly halfway between College Station and Houston and it is a must stop for my wife and I every time we go to H-Town. They have some great road trip food items whether its their kolaches, brisket sandwiches, Beaver Nuggets, candied nuts, or Bucee brand jerky, it's all good.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9388 on: December 16, 2020, 08:59:25 PM »
They advertise themselves as the cleanest bathrooms along the highway and they deliver.

Whoa!  Maybe for the area, but if you drive through Idaho Mr. Gas does have mighty impressive bathrooms.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9389 on: December 16, 2020, 10:14:16 PM »
Whoa!  Maybe for the area, but if you drive through Idaho Mr. Gas does have mighty impressive bathrooms.

Kum & Go or gtfo.

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/18/best-place-to-bathroom-stop-in-colorado/

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9390 on: December 16, 2020, 10:16:31 PM »
Kum & Go or gtfo.

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/18/best-place-to-bathroom-stop-in-colorado/

When I toured Iowa I saw one of those. Was dying laughing the whole way back to Chicago.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9391 on: December 16, 2020, 10:25:35 PM »
When I toured Iowa I saw one of those. Was dying laughing the whole way back to Chicago.

Pretty sure that’s the first time I’ve ever seen the phrase ‘toured Iowa.’

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9392 on: December 16, 2020, 10:48:42 PM »
Pretty sure that’s the first time I’ve ever seen the phrase ‘toured Iowa.’

😂 visited the Iowa campus when looking for a university.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9393 on: December 17, 2020, 06:21:05 AM »
Kwik Trip or Quik Trip? Although QuikTrip often goes by QT for short. (QT is mostly a Southern Midwest, Plains, Southwest based in Oklahoma but has MO TX, AZ)

And Kwik Trip (I believe mostly WI, MN based in WI) goes by Kwik Star in Iowa.

They're roughly pretty similar. I'd probably say QT then Kwik Trip.  But I'd take Buc-ee's over either one.

KT was founded in Eau Claire, and is based in La Crosse.  They're something like the 3rd largest privately owned convenience store chain in the US

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #9394 on: December 17, 2020, 06:29:56 AM »

There's a Bucees roughly halfway between College Station and Houston and it is a must stop for my wife and I every time we go to H-Town. They have some great road trip food items whether its their kolaches, brisket sandwiches, Beaver Nuggets, candied nuts, or Bucee brand jerky, it's all good.

You can get boudain to go at Bucees. Just awesome.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9395 on: December 17, 2020, 03:51:44 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #9397 on: December 17, 2020, 05:00:28 PM »
It doesn't say if these weren't consensual acts

https://wgntv.com/news/business-headlines/louisiana-man-an-accused-of-committing-unnatural-sex-acts-with-2-horses/
*opens link*
Why don't these idiots put the mask over their mouths? They know they're on camera.
*reads article*
"unspecified sexual acts"....gotcha

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9398 on: December 17, 2020, 07:03:40 PM »
It doesn't say if these weren't consensual acts

https://wgntv.com/news/business-headlines/louisiana-man-an-accused-of-committing-unnatural-sex-acts-with-2-horses/

It also doesn’t say whether the horses lit cigarettes afterwards. Shoddy journalism. Gotta answer the questions readers are likely to be thinking....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9399 on: December 18, 2020, 06:29:27 PM »
Anyone here still eat cannibal sandwiches?

The WI Department of Health posted a warning against them, and it got quite a bit of attention. I had them at a number of wedding receptions and other family gatherings growing up, but it has probably been more than 20 years since the last one. And you?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/18/us/cannibal-sandwich-wisconsin.html?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage

“Do they want to have a Christmas with severe stomach cramps, bloody diarrhea and vomiting?” Dr. Murano said. “And possible hemolytic uremic syndrome and as a complication end up in the hospital with kidney failure? I’d rather cook my ground beef, please.”