[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1943836 times)

warriorfred

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #6000 on: February 12, 2019, 01:24:10 PM »
Pequod's in Chicago, everything you hope Rocky's could be, and more.  Gosh, I miss that pizza.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6001 on: February 12, 2019, 01:52:56 PM »
Funny, an infrequent Scooper lives across the street from me and once flew back home some (actual) NY style pizza and had me try it.    Because I didn't lose my mind over how it tasted, he thinks I'm a rube.  10 years have gone by, he still brings it up.

I like pizza.  Thin, thick crust, hand tossed, whatever.  Most pizza is fine.

It kills me when my 12 year old will turn up his nose because of some aspect of restaurant pizza and ask for spaghetti.

I've told him .. dude, some day you'll live in a dorm, be hungry and they'll cook you a frozen pizza in the basement for $5 and it will be beyond delicious.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #6002 on: February 12, 2019, 01:58:29 PM »
I've told him .. dude, some day you'll live in a dorm, be hungry and they'll cook you a frozen pizza in the basement for $5 and it will be beyond delicious.

The $5 Tombstone pizza from the basement of McCormick . . . fine dining.  I won't touch a Tombstone pizza, but in my memories it is a truly great pizza.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #6003 on: February 12, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »
Speaking of desperate, I should also add the two 40 oz. Miller High Lifes waiting in fridge after grueling mid-terms junior year make my top 5 best beers ever.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6004 on: February 12, 2019, 02:17:00 PM »
Take it from someone who made the mistake. Hold on to the good Rocky memories of your youth and don't subject your taste buds to the terrible crap that it truly is. You get the best of both worlds, fond memories and good pizza.

IIRC, it was back in the early-90's that Rocky's started to crumble... I'm not sure if the original owners ran all of the stores at one point or if they just owned the Madison-area stores, but at some point there was a master franchisee or something who took control of the whole company but allowed the original group to operate their Madison stores.  Whatever the case, at one point there were actually two separate companies who both had the rights to Rocky's trademarks but operated completely independently from one another... whatever the agreement was, it was such that the specials that were being advertised in Milwaukee and the Fox Valley weren't honored in Madison (and vice versa).

I actually had the "privilege" of working in two different stores - one under the Madison group and one by the master franchisee - around the time that the schism really took hold... while the menus, ingredients and recipes were identical at first, it was sometime in the late-90's that the master franchisee started playing with the menu in their stores and deviating from the recipes while the Madison stores continued to stick with the original ingredients.

Personally, I don't think I have eaten at a Rocky's since I graduated, but it's not unreasonable that two people could have vastly different memories of the pizza depending on timing and location of their last two visits.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6005 on: February 12, 2019, 02:55:44 PM »
Correct Benny.  The Madison group was the founder.  Owner (Roger Brown) is a super nice guy.  Dont remember the details of the split, but the Milwaukee franchisee is now the owner and has the Milwaukee stores.  The out state Rocky's were part of the Madison group.

I got to know the original Rocky too.  He passed a few years back.  Funny, funny guy.

P.s.  eat your heart out cheeks, you dont know the founder of Rocky Rococco's like I do.  🤣

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6006 on: February 12, 2019, 02:59:45 PM »
I never even heard of Rocky's until this very moment. Wasn't even on the radar of anybody around my year at Marquette.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #6007 on: February 12, 2019, 03:00:16 PM »
A couple of years ago I tried Transfer Pizza on 1st and Mitchell, and it was pretty good.

Transfer pizza is good, I think they have expanded since I was last there 3 years ago.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6008 on: February 12, 2019, 03:02:49 PM »
My wife was a dental hygienist and cleaned the teeth of Crazy Lenny from American TV when we lived in Madison back in the late 80s.

"Get a bike! Get a bike! Get a bike!"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6009 on: February 12, 2019, 03:44:51 PM »
Correct Benny.  The Madison group was the founder.  Owner (Roger Brown) is a super nice guy.  Dont remember the details of the split, but the Milwaukee franchisee is now the owner and has the Milwaukee stores.  The out state Rocky's were part of the Madison group.

I got to know the original Rocky too.  He passed a few years back.  Funny, funny guy.

P.s.  eat your heart out cheeks, you dont know the founder of Rocky Rococco's like I do.  🤣

I'm not 100%, but I believe the original Rocky also had a daughter who is an MU alum.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6010 on: February 14, 2019, 12:38:06 PM »
So like 50 cities offered to mortgage their futures for Amazon HQ2, and NYC was one of the winners. But now NYC doesn't want it after all, which of course begs the question of why they put in a bid....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/14/tech/amazon-hq2-nyc/index.html

I'm just glad I wasn't one of the land speculators who bought up property in LIC and Queens.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6011 on: February 14, 2019, 12:43:38 PM »
So like 50 cities offered to mortgage their futures for Amazon HQ2, and NYC was one of the winners. But now NYC doesn't want it after all, which of course begs the question of why they put in a bid....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/14/tech/amazon-hq2-nyc/index.html

I'm just glad I wasn't one of the land speculators who bought up property in LIC and Queens.

Pretty standard plan across the board for corporations and all levels of governments these days. Short-term gain is the only gain.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #6012 on: February 14, 2019, 01:56:51 PM »
Pequod's in Chicago, everything you hope Rocky's could be, and more.  Gosh, I miss that pizza.
Pequod's is the best, have always lived outside of delivery range though. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6013 on: February 14, 2019, 04:39:09 PM »
Pretty standard plan across the board for corporations and all levels of governments these days. Short-term gain is the only gain.

Yeah, I get that it's pretty standard. Just that Amazon's size made it an Olympic-sized cash-toss.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6014 on: February 14, 2019, 05:07:38 PM »

Yeah, I get that it's pretty standard. Just that Amazon's size made it an Olympic-sized cash-toss.

Oh absolutely.

But can you imagine the blowback if some local/state politician came out and said they weren't going to try and acquire Amazon? Death sentence

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #6015 on: February 14, 2019, 05:57:28 PM »

Pequod's was where I'd always take out-of-towners. Way better than Giordano's, even though that's more widely known.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6016 on: February 15, 2019, 06:45:56 AM »
Anyone find a replay of the Creighton game yet on line?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6017 on: February 15, 2019, 07:26:33 AM »
First & Last pizza in central CT is terrific

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6018 on: February 15, 2019, 08:02:46 AM »
First & Last pizza in central CT is terrific

In my opinion only the original, South of Hartford -- where they still have the wood fire oven.  The other locations are marginal compared to other options.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6019 on: February 15, 2019, 08:36:57 AM »
So if this guy qualifies as a "pro" golfer, there's real hope for so many others:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2820866-ben-dearmond-shoots-17-on-2nd-hole-at-webcom-tours-lecom-suncoast-classic?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

DeArmond, a pro at TPC Treviso Bay in Naples, Florida, hit six balls into the drink on No. 2 during the first round of the 2019 Lecom Suncoast Classic. He hit his tee shot into the water on the 491-yard, par-four hole, and then proceeded to knock his five subsequent shots into the water before eventually settling for a 17.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6020 on: February 15, 2019, 08:43:07 AM »
Pequod's was where I'd always take out-of-towners. Way better than Giordano's, even though that's more widely known.

Same. Lots of people don't know this but it actually originated in Morton grove. Might still have a second location out there.

Giordanos is trash.

For thin crust try Rocky's in westchester or roseAngela's in evergreen park. Amatos is also good but each location is so different.
Maigh Eo for Sam

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #6021 on: February 15, 2019, 08:49:34 AM »
If you ever find yourself on Chicago's south side, Vito & Nick's is the best thin crust I've ever had.

Al's in Warrenville, too.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #6022 on: February 15, 2019, 09:45:41 AM »
Same. Lots of people don't know this but it actually originated in Morton grove. Might still have a second location out there.

Giordanos is trash.

For thin crust try Rocky's in westchester or roseAngela's in evergreen park. Amatos is also good but each location is so different.

Find any decent pizza in Galway?  Has it stopped raining?
Ludum habemus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6023 on: February 15, 2019, 11:24:24 AM »
Today, I am declaring a National Arby's Emergency.

Also, beware the Ides of February.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6024 on: February 15, 2019, 11:32:03 AM »
Today, I am declaring a National Arby's Emergency.

Also, beware the Ides of February.

I once had a mole that stayed the same for more than two years...then one day decided I had to go to the Emergency Room to get it looked at.