[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1932218 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #5475 on: December 18, 2018, 05:29:53 AM »
So, Calphalon stainless cookware is pretty pricey.  The War Dept. wants to get rid of the nonstick cookware, as she's heard that Teflon stuff isn't good for you.  I've always heard PTFE is inert, and a non issue.  Heck, they even make some body parts from the stuff.

Is the stainless worth the $400+price tag?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5476 on: December 18, 2018, 05:33:24 AM »
So, six days to Xmas eve.  Who believes that's when you start shopping????

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #5477 on: December 18, 2018, 05:43:12 AM »
So, Calphalon stainless cookware is pretty pricey.  The War Dept. wants to get rid of the nonstick cookware, as she's heard that Teflon stuff isn't good for you.  I've always heard PTFE is inert, and a non issue.  Heck, they even make some body parts from the stuff.

Brother in law is a chef. Recommended All-Clad to us. I wasn’t a believer for the price, but it’s really nice.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5478 on: December 18, 2018, 06:55:52 AM »

Why are you asking a bunch of dudes?

Cookware is something you use every day (unlike, say, an expensive smoker or barbecue grill, if you get my drift) . If you buy the good stuff, you will have it for the rest of your life. We have Calphalon we got for our wedding, and it's as good as the first time we used it.

Buy her what she wants.
Have some patience, FFS.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #5479 on: December 18, 2018, 07:12:05 AM »

Cookware is something you use every day (unlike, say, an expensive smoker or barbecue grill, if you get my drift) . If you buy the good stuff, you will have it for the rest of your life. We have Calphalon we got for our wedding, and it's as good as the first time we used it.

Buy her what she wants.
This.
Buy it once.  It's really much cheaper that way.
don't buy a set.  You usually do not use most of what's in those sets. 
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #5480 on: December 18, 2018, 07:30:50 AM »
This.
Buy it once.  It's really much cheaper that way.
don't buy a set.  You usually do not use most of what's in those sets.
We built ours up on a as needed basis too and it saves a ton of money and space.  Two other suggestions: 1 - don't skimp on the prep tools.  A cheap spatula/slotted/tongs make a difference with a good pot or pan.  2 - if you don't have it already get yourself some Bar Keepers Friend. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #5481 on: December 18, 2018, 07:51:10 AM »

Buy her what she wants.

Men can’t be the primary users of cookware and have an opinion? Not very progressive.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5482 on: December 18, 2018, 08:01:53 AM »
I have some old family pictures that I would like to copy. No negatives - just 50+ year old snapshots, polaroids, school pics and such. I only have a dozen or two because my parents lost or discarded most of my childhood through a bitter divorce, a series of moves and the passage of time.

I'm hesitant to send these through the mail because it's all I have. Any thoughts about the quality of walk-in places like Kinko's for photo copying? Other ideas where I wouldn't have to send through the mail?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5483 on: December 18, 2018, 08:11:41 AM »
I have some old family pictures that I would like to copy. No negatives - just 50+ year old snapshots, polaroids, school pics and such. I only have a dozen or two because my parents lost or discarded most of my childhood through a bitter divorce, a series of moves and the passage of time.

I'm hesitant to send these through the mail because it's all I have. Any thoughts about the quality of walk-in places like Kinko's for photo copying? Other ideas where I wouldn't have to send through the mail?

Honey, scan them and make a a couple of backups.  If you don't have a scanner, you have a friend that does.  Or do it at work.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 08:14:21 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5484 on: December 18, 2018, 08:13:40 AM »
Men can’t be the primary users of cookware and have an opinion? Not very progressive.

Let's be honest.  They usually aren't, especially when you are talking about the alpha males here on Scoop.

I suppose I could go some Oprah fan thread and ask about the best lawnmower, but I wouldn't, even though a woman could be the primary user of lawnmowers and have an opinion.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 08:18:18 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5485 on: December 18, 2018, 08:25:21 AM »
This alpha cooks, cleans, does laundry, shops, etc.    But I still don't have an opinion on pans. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5486 on: December 18, 2018, 08:28:52 AM »
Let's be honest.  They usually aren't, especially when you are talking about the alpha males here on Scoop.

I suppose I could go some Oprah fan thread and ask about the best lawnmower, but I wouldn't, even though a woman could be the primary user of lawnmowers and have an opinion.

Make me a sammich, dragon chick!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5488 on: December 18, 2018, 08:42:26 AM »
Make me a sammich, dragon chick!

You know where the fridge is.
Have some patience, FFS.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #5489 on: December 18, 2018, 08:48:49 AM »

The best chef in my neighborhood is male.  He also owns his own smoker.  And his wife mows the lawn.  *shrug*

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5490 on: December 18, 2018, 08:53:36 AM »

Buy her what she wants.

Because of our schedules, my wife prepares more meals than I do, but I definitely enjoy cooking a lot more than she does.  Generally, when we're both home I do more of the cooking.  I'm much more particular about things like pots, pans and tools.  If money was no object, I'd love to have a set of Le Creuset (purchased as individual pieces, or course).  Sadly, money is an object, and that stuff is crazy expensive.  We have an old set of Calphalon, but we bought the non-stick which is pretty worn out.  If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have bought the non-stick version.  It's honestly time to replace, but I'm not sure what we'll get.  I'm suspect we'll follow Chick's advice and get what she wants.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5491 on: December 18, 2018, 08:56:56 AM »
We have stainless Calphalon.  It is great.  If you use the high end diswasher pods, they clean up real nicely too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5492 on: December 18, 2018, 08:58:32 AM »
We have stainless Calphalon.  It is great.  If you use the high end diswasher pods, they clean up real nicely too.

Yikes!  Does the manufacturer recommend washing them in the dishwasher?  I have the cast aluminum, and they say not to.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5493 on: December 18, 2018, 09:05:32 AM »
We got the Cuisinart set with the ceramic coating and it works great.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #5494 on: December 18, 2018, 09:09:20 AM »
This alpha cooks, cleans, does laundry, shops, etc.    But I still don't have an opinion on pans.

Word. Except I try to avoid cleaning and have opinions on everything.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5495 on: December 18, 2018, 09:18:59 AM »

Two comments. If she wants the stainless, get the stainless.  But from a scientific/health perspective, there is nothing wrong with teflon.  The reported risks are only if you heat the pans above 650 F (which should never be done) and even then it is really not that big of a deal.

In general, if you look hard enough, you can find health risks associated with anything.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5496 on: December 18, 2018, 09:21:42 AM »
Because of our schedules, my wife prepares more meals than I do, but I definitely enjoy cooking a lot more than she does.  Generally, when we're both home I do more of the cooking.  I'm much more particular about things like pots, pans and tools.  If money was no object, I'd love to have a set of Le Creuset (purchased as individual pieces, or course).  Sadly, money is an object, and that stuff is crazy expensive.  We have an old set of Calphalon, but we bought the non-stick which is pretty worn out.  If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have bought the non-stick version.  It's honestly time to replace, but I'm not sure what we'll get.  I'm suspect we'll follow Chick's advice and get what she wants.

we have non-stick Calphalon.  Have had to replace a few omelet pans and a griddle.  my macaroni and cheese pan is due for a replacement too.  We've sent a few back on their warranty plan and have never had any issues.  Our stuff is 15+ years old.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #5497 on: December 18, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »
Yikes!  Does the manufacturer recommend washing them in the dishwasher?  I have the cast aluminum, and they say not to.

dump that aluminum, it leaches off the pan into your food and can cause alzheimers (that's what the Lifetime by West Bend reps told us anyhoo  8-))

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5498 on: December 18, 2018, 09:34:38 AM »
Bought a cheaper nonstick circulon elite set from BBB a year or so after college. Still going strong.

Only thing I've added is a heavy castiron skillet. Love that thing

In fact, getting hitched soon and we aren't adding cookware to our registry cause we're pleased with what we have. Just take care of your stuff.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 09:37:11 AM by jesmu84 »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5499 on: December 18, 2018, 09:40:42 AM »
Why are you asking a bunch of dudes?  - That's sexist.  I sentence you to JB's school of Political Correctness for reprogramming.

Buy her what she wants.Ha, I'd be broke if I did that.  Besides, she has me.   ;D