[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1943964 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #4550 on: September 26, 2018, 11:32:20 AM »
Purdue has the worst campus.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4551 on: September 26, 2018, 12:25:05 PM »
Wow this is really intriguing can u plz elaborate on how you both settled on Purdue.  I have been to all 4 campuses on many occassions and would rate them.
Iu/miami
Butler
Purdue.

Not a big fan of butler at all but still above Purdue.
Most alums i have spoken to have been full of praise for all,
but Purdue.  General take away from purdue alums was they learned but never really had a coolege vibe, school spirit or developed a love for the alma mater.
Be very interested hear ur take.

This just goes to show that different people have very different tastes.  We both really liked Purdue.  From an academic standpoint, it's really good in what she wants to study (Computer Science) and also has a solid business school, which interests her as a likely minor.

But, we also really loved the campus.  It was beautiful, nicely landscaped, clean, well-equipped, etc.  She really liked the area and the "feel" of the campus, and I did too.  It was "bustling" and just seemed really nice to us.  Every building that we went into was clean and seemed really well-maintained -- even though some were really old.  There were a lot of great areas to hang out, study, etc. in all the buildings we went in.  The only person I know that went to Purdue absolutely loved it and is a super enthusiastic supporter.

She also really liked Miami, and it's a definite possibility.  It'd be about half the cost of Purdue, and that is a great selling point for me.   ;)  The campus is beautiful -- although very different than Purdue.  The surrounding area doesn't seem as vibrant.  Honestly, one of the strangest things about Miami from her perspective, is that it seemed really deserted when we were there on a Saturday afternoon.  It was cold that day (i.e., high 50s), so maybe people were inside for some reason?  I don't know.  But, there just wasn't any energy on campus at all.  At Purdue there were tons of people outside walking, playing frisbee, exercising, hanging out, etc.  Miami was empty.  It was odd.  Honestly, if Miami also had been "bustling" it might be right up there with Purdue.  We'll visit both again, I'm sure, if it comes down to a choice between the two.

Indiana was interesting -- a mixed bag.  The south half of the campus is absolutely beautiful.  I was really surprised and impressed.  Lots of trees, trails, etc.  The north half of campus...not so much.  And most of the buildings that we went into seemed and  a little run down.  And, the campus is just huge.  Also, the surrounding area (at least to the West) was really kind of sketchy.

She liked all three.  But, if she ranked them, she'd go Purdue, Miami and then Indiana.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4552 on: September 26, 2018, 01:09:16 PM »
That's pretty interesting. I didn't do a ton of college visits but Purdue was one of them and I was not a fan at all. If I had to rank them at the time it would be.

1. Illinois
2. Northwestern
3. Bradley
4. Marquette
5. Purdue
6 Illinois St.

Now obviously given my college choice, having a pretty campus isn't everything but I find it interesting how a lot of people don't like Purdue.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4553 on: September 26, 2018, 01:33:36 PM »
That's pretty interesting. I didn't do a ton of college visits but Purdue was one of them and I was not a fan at all. If I had to rank them at the time it would be.

1. Illinois
2. Northwestern
3. Bradley
4. Marquette
5. Purdue
6 Illinois St.

Now obviously given my college choice, having a pretty campus isn't everything but I find it interesting how a lot of people don't like Purdue.

1. Michigan State
2. Wisconsin
3. ND
4. Marquette
5. MSOE

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4554 on: September 26, 2018, 05:02:20 PM »
Back in the day, I only visited one school...so my list is:

1. Marquette

In more recent years with my daughters, the campus setting/aesthetic/feel would be something like:

1. Vanderbilt
2. Mizzou
3. Yale
4. Northwestern
5. Yale
6. Arizona State
7. Marquette
8. Minnesota
9. NYU

Before anyone debates #6, I will point out that my daughter was looking at Journalism schools, and ASU’s J-school is in downtown Phoenix, a few miles from the main Tempe campus. She ended up at Mizzou, which has a better J-school and a great campus. My other daughter went to MN, and had a terrific experience despite the blah campus.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #4555 on: September 26, 2018, 05:08:37 PM »
Top 10 campuses/colleges I’ve been to in order:
1) Marquette
2) Boulder
3) Michigan
4) Miami OH
5) Arizona St
6) Michigan St
7) Cincinnati & Xavier
8) Notre Dame
9) Butler
10) DePaul & Loyola Chicago
Bring back FFP!!!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4556 on: September 26, 2018, 06:41:04 PM »
I don’t follow baseball nearly as closely as I used to, but I just noticed that Baltimore is 61.5 games out of first place.   If that isn’t a record, it has to be close…

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4557 on: September 26, 2018, 06:48:25 PM »
I imagine our past school president is not having a good week, he still at Georgetown prep, hey?
Goal is National Championship

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4558 on: September 26, 2018, 07:02:12 PM »
It’s the NBA.  If weed grew in couches, it would the the West Virginia of professional sports leagues.

Right.  But DJO got banned by FIBA for smoking weed.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #4559 on: September 26, 2018, 09:00:52 PM »
My household also had quite the music run over the last few weeks, though our music tastes are just a tad different. First, Taking back Sunday with Coheed and Cambria. Then, Evanesence travelling with a whole orchestra. Lindsey Stirling then Rise Against w/ Anti Flag (and AFI but I didn't really care) and then Thrice last night.

Taking back Sunday, Thrice, and Lindsey Stirling were all fantastic. Coheed was aight, Evanesence with the orchestra was cool but Amy Lee can't hit the real high notes any more. Rise Against was in rare form, lots of pent up anger against the current administration. Probably top 5 show I've ever been to. Possibly top show where I didn't sustain a mosh pit related injury.
A 'tad' different but that probably has more to do with our ages and your list reminds me of the oddest lineup i've ever seen.  I'm old ('88) and chose rap rock as my protest music so i went RATM, RHCP, and Cyprus Hill. 

But that has nothing to do with the oddest lineup i've ever seen.  15ish years ago:  DEVO, Silverspun Pickups, Ben Folds, and Rise Against.  It was at an open air market downtown and every single act looked like they had no idea why they were there and couldn't get off the stage fast enough.

Edit: struck me on my run this AM that it could've been Against Me! not Rise Against
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:44:23 AM by naginiF »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4560 on: September 26, 2018, 09:23:21 PM »
ND sucks

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4561 on: September 26, 2018, 09:27:20 PM »
This just goes to show that different people have very different tastes.  We both really liked Purdue.  From an academic standpoint, it's really good in what she wants to study (Computer Science) and also has a solid business school, which interests her as a likely minor.

But, we also really loved the campus.  It was beautiful, nicely landscaped, clean, well-equipped, etc.  She really liked the area and the "feel" of the campus, and I did too.  It was "bustling" and just seemed really nice to us.  Every building that we went into was clean and seemed really well-maintained -- even though some were really old.  There were a lot of great areas to hang out, study, etc. in all the buildings we went in.  The only person I know that went to Purdue absolutely loved it and is a super enthusiastic supporter.

She also really liked Miami, and it's a definite possibility.  It'd be about half the cost of Purdue, and that is a great selling point for me.   ;)  The campus is beautiful -- although very different than Purdue.  The surrounding area doesn't seem as vibrant.  Honestly, one of the strangest things about Miami from her perspective, is that it seemed really deserted when we were there on a Saturday afternoon.  It was cold that day (i.e., high 50s), so maybe people were inside for some reason?  I don't know.  But, there just wasn't any energy on campus at all.  At Purdue there were tons of people outside walking, playing frisbee, exercising, hanging out, etc.  Miami was empty.  It was odd.  Honestly, if Miami also had been "bustling" it might be right up there with Purdue.  We'll visit both again, I'm sure, if it comes down to a choice between the two.

Indiana was interesting -- a mixed bag.  The south half of the campus is absolutely beautiful.  I was really surprised and impressed.  Lots of trees, trails, etc.  The north half of campus...not so much.  And most of the buildings that we went into seemed and  a little run down.  And, the campus is just huge.  Also, the surrounding area (at least to the West) was really kind of sketchy.

She liked all three.  But, if she ranked them, she'd go Purdue, Miami and then Indiana.

I have a street named after me on Purdue's campus.....

Our family, along with John Purdue and a few other families donated land to create Purdue. 

Purdue has some highly recruited programs. Their outdoor career in the fall is fabulous. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4562 on: September 26, 2018, 09:46:53 PM »
I have a street named after me on Purdue's campus.....

Our family, along with John Purdue and a few other families donated land to create Purdue. 

Purdue has some highly recruited programs. Their outdoor career in the fall is fabulous.

Big whoop de do.  We have an entire ladies' wrestling team named after us.

Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4563 on: September 26, 2018, 09:59:56 PM »
Big whoop de do.  We have an entire ladies' wrestling team named after us.

Is that you on the right?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4564 on: September 26, 2018, 10:38:43 PM »
I have a university in Milwaukee named after my handle....

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4565 on: September 27, 2018, 07:12:33 AM »
Is that you on the right?

You've met me. You tell me.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4566 on: September 27, 2018, 09:12:43 AM »
Back in the day, I only visited one school...so my list is:

1. Marquette

In more recent years with my daughters, the campus setting/aesthetic/feel would be something like:

1. Vanderbilt
2. Mizzou
3. Yale
4. Northwestern
5. Yale
6. Arizona State
7. Marquette
8. Minnesota
9. NYU

Before anyone debates #6, I will point out that my daughter was looking at Journalism schools, and ASU’s J-school is in downtown Phoenix, a few miles from the main Tempe campus. She ended up at Mizzou, which has a better J-school and a great campus. My other daughter went to MN, and had a terrific experience despite the blah campus.

Similar to yours in that I didn't do any college visits when in HS -- it really wasn't all that common where I grew up (at the time, anyway).  I didn't even visit Marquette in advance.  My first experience at Marquette was when the cab dropped me off at McCormick.

So, since that time, including attending events and visits with my kids, here are my top 10:

1.  Elon
2.  Miami (Ohio)
3.  High Point
4.  Purdue
5.  Dayton
6.  Marquette
7.  Kenyon (would be higher, but there is absolutely nothing there -- beautiful campus, though)
8.  Indiana
9.  Notre Dame
10.  Georgetown

Bottom 5:

1.  Case Western
2.  Cleveland State
3.  Kent
4.  Valparaiso
5.  Howard

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4567 on: September 27, 2018, 09:21:46 AM »
Similar to yours in that I didn't do any college visits when in HS -- it really wasn't all that common where I grew up (at the time, anyway).  I didn't even visit Marquette in advance.  My first experience at Marquette was when the cab dropped me off at McCormick.

So, since that time, including attending events and visits with my kids, here are my top 10:

7.  Kenyon (would be higher, but there is absolutely nothing there -- beautiful campus, though)
9.  Notre Dame

These descriptions go together. I remember visiting ND and saying "I don't get the hype".

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4568 on: September 27, 2018, 09:32:04 AM »
Just off the top of my head so I'm sure I'm missing some that I've been on, but my top 10 campuses I've been on would be:

1) Pepperdine
2) Stanford
(Big Gap)
3) Santa Clara
4) UCLA
(Big Gap)
5) UC Santa Barbara
6) Boston College
7) University of Washington
8) Rice University
9) Xavier
10) University of Texas
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4569 on: September 27, 2018, 09:44:21 AM »
These descriptions go together. I remember visiting ND and saying "I don't get the hype".

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you've never been to Kenyon.  Notre Dame may not have a lot around, but there is at least something.  Kenyon is in Gambier, Ohio.  Near campus, there was one coffee shop and one restaurant.  Neither was a chain (note:  that's not a criticism from me...actually that's preferable as far as I'm concerned).  And aside from that, there was really nothing else.  When we toured, someone asked our guide, "what do you guys do for fun here?"  The response was, "we hang out in the dorms, and...Columbus is only an hour away."  True story. 

I'm not a fan of South Bend, and if Notre Dame was closer to something more interesting, it would be higher on my list because I think it's a well-equipped and beautiful campus.  But South Bend is an exciting, thriving metropolis compared to Gambier.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4570 on: September 27, 2018, 09:50:04 AM »
1) UNC
2) West Point
3) Boston College
4) Trinity
5) Loyola Chicago
6) NUI-Galway
7) Dominican University
8) Depaul
9) Iowa
10) Marquette
11) Notre Dame
12)Madison
13) Xavier
14) Dayton
15) Purdue
16) Beloit
17) Northern Illinois
16) UWM
17) Benedictine University
18) UW- Whitewater
19) UIC
20) SLU

Admittedly a couple of these were not official tours but being shown around by family/friends and a few were from staying there for Lacrosse camps thus I may not have the most thorough look but I feel like a saw a decent amount. Plus I tend to favor universities in cities but tried to be objective.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:02:43 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4571 on: September 27, 2018, 09:55:44 AM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you've never been to Kenyon.  Notre Dame may not have a lot around, but there is at least something.  Kenyon is in Gambier, Ohio.  Near campus, there was one coffee shop and one restaurant.  Neither was a chain (note:  that's not a criticism from me...actually that's preferable as far as I'm concerned).  And aside from that, there was really nothing else.  When we toured, someone asked our guide, "what do you guys do for fun here?"  The response was, "we hang out in the dorms, and...Columbus is only an hour away."  True story. 

I'm not a fan of South Bend, and if Notre Dame was closer to something more interesting, it would be higher on my list because I think it's a well-equipped and beautiful campus.  But South Bend is an exciting, thriving metropolis compared to Gambier.

Nothing to do is still nothing to do.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4572 on: September 27, 2018, 10:09:00 AM »
How is ASU not #1 on everyone's list.  Beautiful scenery there, aina.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4573 on: September 27, 2018, 10:45:03 AM »
How is ASU not #1 on everyone's list.  Beautiful scenery there, aina.

Only if you like strip malls, hey?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4574 on: September 27, 2018, 10:46:47 AM »
You've met me. You tell me.

Sometime soon a person’s looks change.

(See Kaitlyn Jenner & ZFB as examples)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback