[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1933120 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #3600 on: July 10, 2018, 02:56:01 PM »
Well, if it actually started in the CW direction (without issue) then you're probably all good - without it blowing out early.

The CCW inventory label may have just been wrong.  If it's like this guy, it can run in either direction...
https://www.americanhvacparts.com/p-8932-16-hp-208230-volt-1-speed-825-rpm-condenser-fan-motor-universal-replacement-for-most-all-brands.aspx

Usually a label will be specific if it's not reversible.  And in fact, it would be easier to tell (via diagram) if you posted a pic of the label :)

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #3601 on: July 10, 2018, 05:33:07 PM »
Anyone ever reversed the direction on a PSC motor simply by swapping wires on the capacitor?

Condenser fan motor on my 3t Trane AC went out on 7/4.  Capacitor checked out on the cap meter, so I knew I was in the market for a 1/6HP, 825 RPM, CW (clockwise) motor.  Unfortunately, Buffalo Grove warehouse won't sell me parts unless I have EPA Cert (which I should probably get at some point because this is the third incident where I've called Trane and they still won't sell to me - tried giving them a business name, but I swear they must have my phone number on a Do Not Sell list).  However, I do have a business account through Grainger, so I checked their inventory, but the only match they had was a direct-ship from the supplier (1-2 weeks).  The hell if I was going to call the local HVAC ROA, but I wasn't going to try to tough out no A/C, so after eliminating the universal-HP "rescue" motors, the only thing Grainger had in stock anywhere in the Chicago/Milwaukee metros was a 1/6-825-CCW (counterclockwise) motor.  Determined to make this work, first thing Thursday I sauntered down to the Franklin Park, grabbed the motor, installed it (after a bit of genius fabrication to accommodate the non-standard mounting holes), and as hoped, reversing the poles on the motor caused the motor to spin in the opposite direction (which is the correct direction for my purposes).  AC has been back up and running without issue the last few days.

Nameplate on the motor neither says reversible nor irreversible.  I can't find anything definitive on the web saying that swapping poles is a permanent solution (no de-rating, no loss of efficiency).  When it came to reversing direction on a PSC motor, there was much more of a consensus on flipping the rotor as opposed to swapping the wires.

Where be the resident EE/EM Scoop geeks at?

No idea what you just said here. I am impressed though and a little envious. I had many bad experiences as a child with DIY projects. I have to ask...did you check the Fetzer valve first?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3602 on: July 10, 2018, 06:01:15 PM »
No idea what you just said here. I am impressed though and a little envious. I had many bad experiences as a child with DIY projects. I have to ask...did you check the Fetzer valve first?
It's possible that the fratastat is in disequilibrium.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3603 on: July 10, 2018, 06:14:13 PM »
I'm going to have pancakes for dinner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3604 on: July 10, 2018, 07:36:45 PM »
I just had Cafe Zupas for dinner. It's fine, but their ordering line drives me effin crazy. You have to order twice. First, so they know what to make you.. then, when they put together your order near the register. It's so stupid.

Many people have trouble remembering what all they ordered 2 minutes later. It's a mess. Son of a b.

PS - I dominated in AM basketball this morning. Drilled a 27 footer to end the final game. Now my knee hurts and I need new shoes. What should I get (high tops)?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3605 on: July 10, 2018, 07:41:30 PM »

i guess that hamburger thing didn't work out too well for them...or it did?  maybe ihop and arby's can work together and whoop up a roast beef n cheddar between 2 griddle cakes
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3606 on: July 10, 2018, 07:42:03 PM »
BeeJay, got just da kicks ta up yo game, hey?

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3607 on: July 10, 2018, 08:30:34 PM »
i guess that hamburger thing didn't work out too well for them...or it did?  maybe ihop and arby's can work together and whoop up a roast beef n cheddar between 2 griddle cakes

Read an article today that said IHOP "word of mouth traffic" was up 12% higher than it had ever been as a result of the IHOB ploy. Don't know if it resulted in sales or not but they got everyone talking.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3608 on: July 10, 2018, 08:31:50 PM »

We had breakfast for dinner last night.  Yum. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3609 on: July 10, 2018, 09:24:46 PM »
The eggs and bacon were out of this shot...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3610 on: July 10, 2018, 09:30:19 PM »

Is “pancakes” a euphemism for “beef-n-cheddar?”

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3611 on: July 10, 2018, 09:35:07 PM »
Milagro Anjejo Tequila is extraordinary

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #3612 on: July 10, 2018, 09:42:42 PM »
I just had Cafe Zupas for dinner. It's fine, but their ordering line drives me effin crazy. You have to order twice. First, so they know what to make you.. then, when they put together your order near the register. It's so stupid.

Many people have trouble remembering what all they ordered 2 minutes later. It's a mess. Son of a b.

PS - I dominated in AM basketball this morning. Drilled a 27 footer to end the final game. Now my knee hurts and I need new shoes. What should I get (high tops)?

See your local PT and ask them.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3613 on: July 10, 2018, 10:01:32 PM »

Agree with the douchy ordering process at Zupas.  But they give you a free chocolate covered strawberry to make up for it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3614 on: July 10, 2018, 10:02:20 PM »

Bless me Father, for I have sinned.  I chose Jersey Mike's over Arby's today.  I couldn't do the curly fries.  What is my penance?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3615 on: July 10, 2018, 10:50:08 PM »
Yo

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3616 on: July 10, 2018, 11:54:58 PM »
Well, if it actually started in the CW direction (without issue) then you're probably all good - without it blowing out early.

The CCW inventory label may have just been wrong.  If it's like this guy, it can run in either direction...
https://www.americanhvacparts.com/p-8932-16-hp-208230-volt-1-speed-825-rpm-condenser-fan-motor-universal-replacement-for-most-all-brands.aspx

Usually a label will be specific if it's not reversible.  And in fact, it would be easier to tell (via diagram) if you posted a pic of the label :)

Don’t have a diagram, but it’s a standard 3-wire PSC.  60 ohms on the main winding, 40 ohms on the aux winding.  Runs CCW when the brown (main winding) goes to AC, CW when the purple (aux winding) goes to AC.

Since it’s PSC and both windings are always energized either way, sounds like the risk of switching the wires to reverse rotation is more on the cap than the motor. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3617 on: July 11, 2018, 12:42:55 AM »
Don’t have a diagram, but it’s a standard 3-wire PSC.  60 ohms on the main winding, 40 ohms on the aux winding.  Runs CCW when the brown (main winding) goes to AC, CW when the purple (aux winding) goes to AC.

Since it’s PSC and both windings are always energized either way, sounds like the risk of switching the wires to reverse rotation is more on the cap than the motor.

Well, the cap is going to find steady state... it's what they do! I don't think your configuration will change it's longevity. If the motor it truly made for CCW operation, and you're running it in CCCW (that's counter CCW) then it could be running less efficiently, and burn out earlier. But hey, you're cool now!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3618 on: July 11, 2018, 01:32:27 AM »
BeeJay, got just da kicks ta up yo game, hey?

LA Gear, aina?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3619 on: July 11, 2018, 05:08:43 AM »
Read an article today that said IHOP "word of mouth traffic" was up 12% higher than it had ever been as a result of the IHOB ploy. Don't know if it resulted in sales or not but they got everyone talking.

didn't coke(the real thing) do the same thing when they changed the recipe and people wigged out.  they either changed it back due to peer pressure and kinda said..."just kidding or someone actually did fart in the elevator and he/she was looking for another job.  either way, i think pepsi was saying under their breath-well played you friggin b...sterds

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3620 on: July 11, 2018, 05:18:08 AM »

kinda reminds me of this episode-fer the young nippers out there-mash was a day-stopper back in the day, eyn'a?  never thought i had to do that...

Lt. Col. Henry Blake: [reading a set of instructions] And carefully cut the wires leading to the clockwork fuse at the head,

[ Trapper cuts the wires]

Lt. Col. Henry Blake:But first, remove the fuse.

[pause. Everyone exchanges panciked looks. Trapper listens to the bomb with a stethoscope]

Army Capt. 'Trapper John' McIntyre: Psst. Psst.

Capt. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce: You spring a leak?

Army Capt. 'Trapper John' McIntyre: It stopped ticking.

Capt. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce: Let's get the hell outta here. We've only got two minutes, maybe ...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3621 on: July 11, 2018, 07:24:24 AM »
Which brings us back to my original point: If the signers signed the declaration but we didn’t go on to win the war and form an independent nation, what the hell would there be to celebrate?

You seem to be making an argument for the date of the Paris peace treaty, or perhaps the date that the Articles of Confederation or Constitution were adopted.

The way I look at it is that we were an independent nation the moment that document was signed.  We had to win the war to stay that way.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3622 on: July 11, 2018, 08:14:31 AM »
didn't coke(the real thing) do the same thing when they changed the recipe and people wigged out.  they either changed it back due to peer pressure and kinda said..."just kidding or someone actually did fart in the elevator and he/she was looking for another job.  either way, i think pepsi was saying under their breath-well played you friggin b...sterds

Ahhh...the “new Coke” and “Coca-Cola classic” fiasco.....

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3623 on: July 11, 2018, 09:05:40 AM »
Bless me Father, for I have sinned.  I chose Jersey Mike's over Arby's today.  I couldn't do the curly fries.  What is my penance?

Your penance is double the Arby's today.  Also, try the potato cakes.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3624 on: July 11, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »
So .. these are coffins.

I like this idea a lot.  Why are people coffined in ornate boxes? 

I want to be buried in something cool.  Something people talk about for years. 

"Remember old Hilltopper's funeral?   That custom made Arby's Sauce Packet coffin?  That guy was a prick, but he went out in style."

feedback