[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1933714 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #3575 on: July 07, 2018, 08:02:26 AM »
Mom is from Ireland. Dad's grandfather is from Italy and his other three grandparents are from Ireland. So it's pretty boring to me.

That being said the house my mom grew up in has been in our family for at least 5 generations (well the land as the original spot is basically stone ruins now) so that's sortve cool.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3576 on: July 07, 2018, 08:12:13 AM »
My mom is an amateur genealogist and has found a lot of interesting stuff about her family.

She found one of our ancestors on a census registry that showed he was in a Virginia jail at the time.  She also discovered a previous marriage and kids that no one knew about for a relatively recent ancestor.

She is part of an internet-based group that helps people find ancestor's graves and takes pictures of them. My folks live in Franklin, TN, so you can imagine, there are a lot of people looking for Civil War-era relatives.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 09:03:58 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3577 on: July 07, 2018, 08:19:54 AM »
My wife and I went to Ireland 20 years ago .. I had previously done some family tree research.   Every rinky dink village in Ireland has a "Heritage Center" .. so I went to one in Sligo.   Their research fee is around $30, so I paid that and came back a few hours later. 

Sir, we found baptismal records for your family, that'll be $30 more.  That was worth it, had 5-6 more great uncles and aunts.  Oh, sir, we found a land deed, you can see it for another $30.   Ahh, I see the game here.

I put my tree on Ancestry.com .. a month later, I get an email from a 71 year old gal from Yazoo, Mississippi.  She's connected by that Sligo grandparent .. we're distant cousins.  She sends me her tree with 800 people in it.  Score.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3578 on: July 07, 2018, 10:18:26 AM »
Turns out Sultan & John McAdams are second cousins!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #3579 on: July 07, 2018, 10:38:03 AM »
Hard day at the office today.
Goal is National Championship

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3580 on: July 07, 2018, 02:35:14 PM »

shouldn't this be in the dooms day thread? ;D better be metal detectors at that family reunion, eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3581 on: July 07, 2018, 03:14:28 PM »
My mom is an amateur genealogist and has found a lot of interesting stuff about her family.

Very cool! Do you know which service(s) she uses and recommends? I started by using the free FamilySearch site, then I got a six-month subscription to  Ancestry a couple of weeks ago because I was hitting some dead ends.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3582 on: July 07, 2018, 03:21:34 PM »
Very cool! Do you know which service(s) she uses and recommends? I started by using the free FamilySearch site, then I got a six-month subscription to  Ancestry a couple of weeks ago because I was hitting some dead ends.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

She uses Ancestry, but she has also done things like traveled to towns that she has traced her family to and looked in their public records.  She was very bummed to find out that the jail my multiple great-grandfather was in burned down, so there are no remaining records as to why he was there.

You can also use findagrave.com to search for people by name.  In some places there are volunteers (like my mom) who will go and and take pictures of headstones for you and of nearby ones that may give you clues to work on.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3583 on: July 07, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »
She uses Ancestry, but she has also done things like traveled to towns that she has traced her family to and looked in their public records.  She was very bummed to find out that the jail my multiple great-grandfather was in burned down, so there are no remaining records as to why he was there.

You can also use findagrave.com to search for people by name.  In some places there are volunteers (like my mom) who will go and and take pictures of headstones for you and of nearby ones that may give you clues to work on.

Thanks again.

I may try the in-person method soon in Southwest Wisconsin (west of Dodgeville). My paternal grandparents were born there, and my grandfather’s ancestors appear to have been in the area for several generations.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3584 on: July 07, 2018, 06:42:15 PM »

Cee, dis is watt happens wen cousins marry, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #3585 on: July 07, 2018, 10:19:50 PM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3586 on: July 09, 2018, 08:31:57 AM »
Anyone have recommendations for the best BBQ in Kansas City?

My daughter may be moving there and we know virtually nothing other than reviews we’ve found online. Any firsthand suggestions?

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #3587 on: July 09, 2018, 09:07:51 AM »

My daughter may be moving there and we know virtually nothing other than reviews we’ve found online. Any firsthand suggestions?
I live in KC and people will tell you any number of joints as "without a doubt the best", here are my thoughts.... 
On the top end (i.e. nicer places):  Jack Stack - cheesy corn is a must and I suggest trying the lamb ribs (the one in the freight district is a better atmosphere than the one on the Plaza).  Q39 - all around very good, highly recommend
Middle/fast food: Gates - skip it.  Aurthor Bryants - solid KC offering on the cheap
Dives: Joe's KC - some people call it Oklahoma Joe's - HIGHLY recommend the Z Man.  it's run out of a gas station so don't plan on eating there.  BB's Lawnside - live music, buckets of iced beer, great atmosphere, great ribs, absolutely sh$tty part of town.  LC's Bar-B-Q - also in a crappy part of town, the ONLY time i've had it is because it is right on the way to Arrowhead so it's an easy tailgate.  Fantastic food, again pretty sketchy part of town.

Feel free to PM me if she needs any KC info re neighborhoods, local info, etc.  It's a great city.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3588 on: July 09, 2018, 10:01:41 AM »
Which raises another interesting question: has anyone here done any ancestry research and have ancestors who were here before the revolution?

It’s pretty mind blowing how quickly the numbers of direct ancestors you have when you go back a bit. Two biological parents, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents and so on. By the time you get to your great x 5 grandparents, you have 128 of them!

Anyhow I tracked a couple of mine back to the 1600s and 1700s in Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York, and have two direct grandparents who served in the Connecticut Militia during the Revoutionary War. My daughter is even thinking of applying for membership in DAR.

My lineage is traced all the way back to mid-1600's.  Twelve generations in the US, seven generations in Wisconsin.

I once did the '23 And Me' thing... they sent me a letter back saying "For more accurate results, please don't allow more than five random people to spit in the tube."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3589 on: July 09, 2018, 11:52:37 AM »
Which raises another interesting question: has anyone here done any ancestry research and have ancestors who were here before the revolution?

Interestingly (to me, anyway) I just heard from my brother yesterday that his wife had given him 23andMe for father's day.  He got his results back.  We've always known that my mother was German, so we weren't surprised that my brother showed about 43% German with another ~15% "Broadly Northwestern European."  That accounts for my mother (plus a little extra).

But my dad was adopted in the '30s, and we know very little about his background.  We knew his birth mother's name, but that's it.  The name was Italian sounding, so we have always made assumptions.  Turns out the assumptions were probably wrong.  My brother's results were about 23% British/Irish, 5% Iberian, 3.7% Italian, a trace of Scandinavian and some other "broadly" European categories.  So, not much Italian in there.

While this obviously isn't the type of ancestry research being discussed, it was very interesting to us.  We've never really had any genetic information from my Father's side, and what we got was surprising.  My father has done some research on his adopted family (the family that provides our name), and his great grandfather came from the Prague area in the mid 1800s, I believe.  I can't put my hands on the document my father prepared at this moment.  He's actually visited relatives when he was in the area (a cousin -- their great grandfathers were brothers).  My recollection is that my mother's German ancestors came to the US in that same generation (my great, great grandparents).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3590 on: July 09, 2018, 12:30:46 PM »
I live in KC and people will tell you any number of joints as "without a doubt the best", here are my thoughts.... 
On the top end (i.e. nicer places):  Jack Stack - cheesy corn is a must and I suggest trying the lamb ribs (the one in the freight district is a better atmosphere than the one on the Plaza).  Q39 - all around very good, highly recommend
Middle/fast food: Gates - skip it.  Aurthor Bryants - solid KC offering on the cheap
Dives: Joe's KC - some people call it Oklahoma Joe's - HIGHLY recommend the Z Man.  it's run out of a gas station so don't plan on eating there.  BB's Lawnside - live music, buckets of iced beer, great atmosphere, great ribs, absolutely sh$tty part of town.  LC's Bar-B-Q - also in a crappy part of town, the ONLY time i've had it is because it is right on the way to Arrowhead so it's an easy tailgate.  Fantastic food, again pretty sketchy part of town.

Feel free to PM me if she needs any KC info re neighborhoods, local info, etc.  It's a great city.

Back in the day, Zarda was pretty good.

Agree on OK Joe's.  Limited seating, and fairly busy.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #3591 on: July 09, 2018, 12:39:37 PM »

Was there in October.  Loved Q39. Jack Stack was also good, just not as good as Q39.  Both places were more than welcome to our kids (4 and 1 at the time), so props to them for that as well.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3592 on: July 09, 2018, 02:46:50 PM »
Anyone ever reversed the direction on a PSC motor simply by swapping wires on the capacitor?

Condenser fan motor on my 3t Trane AC went out on 7/4.  Capacitor checked out on the cap meter, so I knew I was in the market for a 1/6HP, 825 RPM, CW (clockwise) motor.  Unfortunately, Buffalo Grove warehouse won't sell me parts unless I have EPA Cert (which I should probably get at some point because this is the third incident where I've called Trane and they still won't sell to me - tried giving them a business name, but I swear they must have my phone number on a Do Not Sell list).  However, I do have a business account through Grainger, so I checked their inventory, but the only match they had was a direct-ship from the supplier (1-2 weeks).  The hell if I was going to call the local HVAC ROA, but I wasn't going to try to tough out no A/C, so after eliminating the universal-HP "rescue" motors, the only thing Grainger had in stock anywhere in the Chicago/Milwaukee metros was a 1/6-825-CCW (counterclockwise) motor.  Determined to make this work, first thing Thursday I sauntered down to the Franklin Park, grabbed the motor, installed it (after a bit of genius fabrication to accommodate the non-standard mounting holes), and as hoped, reversing the poles on the motor caused the motor to spin in the opposite direction (which is the correct direction for my purposes).  AC has been back up and running without issue the last few days.

Nameplate on the motor neither says reversible nor irreversible.  I can't find anything definitive on the web saying that swapping poles is a permanent solution (no de-rating, no loss of efficiency).  When it came to reversing direction on a PSC motor, there was much more of a consensus on flipping the rotor as opposed to swapping the wires.

Where be the resident EE/EM Scoop geeks at?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3593 on: July 09, 2018, 04:31:39 PM »
Vegas sucks.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3594 on: July 09, 2018, 06:25:08 PM »
ND sucks

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3596 on: July 09, 2018, 09:29:46 PM »

Thanks for the info and offer.

Turns out she is applying for an apartment right by Joe’s KC in Overland Park.

tedoop

• Walk-On
« Reply #3597 on: July 10, 2018, 04:14:48 AM »

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #3598 on: July 10, 2018, 07:45:08 AM »
Thanks for the info and offer.

Turns out she is applying for an apartment right by Joe’s KC in Overland Park.
My Z Man recommendation is only for the original gas station location.  You take away 20 years of grease, smoke residue, and petroleum odor and it might not be the same taste.

If you are in the suburbs, as Real Chili said, add Zarda to your list.  I've never been but folks speak highly of it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3599 on: July 10, 2018, 01:37:30 PM »
Where be the resident EE/EM Scoop geeks at?

Well, if it actually started in the CW direction (without issue) then you're probably all good - without it blowing out early.

The CCW inventory label may have just been wrong.  If it's like this guy, it can run in either direction...
https://www.americanhvacparts.com/p-8932-16-hp-208230-volt-1-speed-825-rpm-condenser-fan-motor-universal-replacement-for-most-all-brands.aspx

Usually a label will be specific if it's not reversible.  And in fact, it would be easier to tell (via diagram) if you posted a pic of the label :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:49:44 PM by rocky_warrior »