[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Why Is It Ok For Golden State To Be Warriors But Not MU?  (Read 54988 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Why Is It Ok For Golden State To Be Warriors But Not MU?
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »
So what if other schools have it?  How many are Wildcats or Bulldogs or Tigers?  It doesn't seem to affect Kentucky, Butler or LSU.

The way the Warrior crowd gets wrapped up in a nickname and mascot isn't much different than Wisconsin and their Bucky worship. The chant is "We Are Marquette," not "We are Warriors/Golden Eagles." None of us chose Warrior College or Golden Eagle University, we chose Marquette.

Oh, and an excellent point about "Gold." I think it was the rollout. It came out of nowhere.

Some schools have unique nicknames and they are known as much by their nicknames as they are the name of the school.

Examples are the Hoyas, the Orange, the Buckeyes, The Huskers, The Boilermakers, Demon Deacons, Long Horns, Crimson Tide, Seminoles,  Fighting Illini, Nittany Lions, Bucky/Badgers, Hoosiers, Fighting Irish, Hawkeyes, etc.  Again you know which schools these names are attached to.

There are other schools that have "generic" names that are almost non-existent.  Tops of the list are Wildcats.  That name is used by Villanova, Kentucky and Northwestern (among others).  Duke is the Blue Devils, UCLA Bruins, Auburn Tigers, etc.  Golden Eagles are definitely in this group.

I think many liked the Warrior name because MU was associated with it.  If someone asked you who you were a fan of, you could have answered "Warriors" and that would have been understood to mean MU, similar to Buckeyes today.  Golden Eagles are more in the Wildcats, a generic name we have but illicit no emotions (like Nova and Kentucky). 

Since Gold would have been a unique name n college sports, could have continued in that distinctive mode as an alternative name for the schools.   Golden Eagles will not approach this level.

Opportunity lost.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2017, 01:28:01 PM »
What is a Gold? It is like being named The Oxygen. Lame and meaningless to the history and tradition of Marquette. Just like a Golden Eagle but at least that is worthy of personification.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 02:10:50 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2017, 01:44:31 PM »
What is a Gold? It is lked being named The Oxygen. Lame and meaningless to the history and tradition of Marquette. Just like a Golden Eagle but at least that is worthy of personification.

Could you now say the same about Badgers, Orange, Crimson Tide, Nittany Lions, etc?  What do these names have to do with the school?

My point is a unique name is preferable to a generic name.  And, yes, I would prefer "Oxygen" over Golden Eagles for this reason.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2017, 01:53:26 PM »
Could you now say the same about Badgers, Orange, Crimson Tide, Nittany Lions, etc?  What do these names have to do with the school?

My point is a unique name is preferable to a generic name.  And, yes, I would prefer "Oxygen" over Golden Eagles for this reason.

Stanford is "The Cardinal" and their mascot is a tree on LSD. I'd say they are pretty well known as an institution despite the "generic" name.

Though perhaps "Blue and Gold" would have been better received than just "Gold."
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2017, 01:55:14 PM »

Wisconsin is the Badger state due to the miners that were in the state. They didn't just pick a random animal.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »

No. Those nicknames are tied to their state. Gold? Beer foam?  Please explain? 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2017, 01:59:09 PM »
Stanford is "The Cardinal" and their mascot is a tree on LSD. I'd say they are pretty well known as an institution despite the "generic" name.

Though perhaps "Blue and Gold" would have been better received than just "Gold."

Stanford was the Indians until 1971 when they lead the movement as the first institution, college or pro, to move away from Native American names.

Cardinal is not a generic name, they are the only in Cardinal in college sports

(maybe generic is the wrong word... "commonly used" might be a better term for what I was getting at.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 02:03:46 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2017, 02:02:32 PM »

agreed that would have been a better name.

Again I would prefer a unique name which can be interchangeable with "Marquette."  Golden Eagles will never be that.... for the same reason the name "Wildcats" does not make you immediately think of Kentucky... because it could also be Nova or Northwestern or many other schools.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 02:04:22 PM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »
Gold would make people think our mascot is a pretzel.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »
Gold would make people think our mascot is a pretzel.

Or an ice cold mug of beer. What could be more appropriate for college?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2017, 06:27:50 PM »
The irony drips heavier knowing Snopes says this claim is not true

http://www.snopes.com/snowflake-nazi-term-holocaust/

???

That Snopes article supports what I said. The derivation is from Fight Club, written by Chuck Pahlaniuk (who is gay) and the quote was from Tyler Durden, a character who was a paranoid delusion of the narrator. The term came into popular use recently from Neo-Nazis.

Did you get confused by my use of Neo-Nazis? Sorry, but I call the "Alt-Right" exactly what it is, which is contemporary fascism.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2017, 09:12:30 PM »
How is challenging something you find offensive being a snowflake? I feel like a snowflake would just melt and say nothing. And the term isn't PC Warrior. Its social justice warrior. As in the most badass nickname in sports history, that fights for social justice, something we all learned to aspire to from the Jesuits at Marquette.
I am opposed to the social justice bs . It is nothing more than code words for people who can't compete  yet want the same rewards of those who are willing to take the hard work and risks of competing.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2017, 09:32:32 PM »
I am opposed to the social justice bs . It is nothing more than code words for people who can't compete  yet want the same rewards of those who are willing to take the hard work and risks of competing.

Where does intentional unprotected sex with drunk girls fall on your "social justice bs" spectrum?

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2017, 09:33:16 PM »
Now that we are 12 years out, anyone want to confirm or deny that the Gold was primarily TC's idea, as been rumored?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2017, 11:11:17 PM »
Now that we are 12 years out, anyone want to confirm or deny that the Gold was primarily TC's idea, as been rumored?

TC came up with the idea 6 years before he was named HC of MU?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2017, 11:17:47 PM »

Tom Crean wasn't named the head coach of Marquette 6 years ago...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2017, 11:44:56 PM »

So you are against the primary mission of the Jesuits.....
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2017, 07:44:25 AM »

Correct, TC was head coach for 6 years before the Gold nickname came into existence. Smh.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2017, 08:04:02 AM »

While TC was pushing for this, it was a completely out of touch BOT that led us off the cliff. I always admired that Fr. Wild manned up and admitted it was a pr disaster, however. This is a case where group think with the wrong group leads to ill-formed decisions. If Warriors wasn't ever going to be allowed, it should have ended there.

And yes, TC was there sniffing the BOT's lead...or something else.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/sports/ncaabasketball/at-marquette-hawks-dont-fly-and-gold-doesnt-glitter.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:08:02 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2017, 08:31:10 AM »
chart of college nicknames.  Marquette Golden Eagles is on the far left between John Brown and Clarion.
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0211/4926/files/PopChartLab_ChartofCollegeSportsTeams_Zoom_407.jpg

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2017, 08:47:47 AM »
chart of college nicknames.  Marquette Golden Eagles is on the far left between John Brown and Clarion.
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0211/4926/files/PopChartLab_ChartofCollegeSportsTeams_Zoom_407.jpg

Interesting, warriors would have been shared by more other schools than golden eagles.

Not saying I prefer golden eagles but the whole unique nickname argument kinda goes out the window
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2017, 11:20:18 AM »
I'd say the best thing that came out of the whole Gold fiasco was the interlocking MU logo (though I'd prefer they got rid of the version with the banner saying "Marquette" across it. Too busy).

As for warriors being unique, we wouldn't even be the only school in Milwaukee with the nickname.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2017, 11:34:12 AM »
I'd say the best thing that came out of the whole Gold fiasco was the interlocking MU logo (though I'd prefer they got rid of the version with the banner saying "Marquette" across it. Too busy).

As for warriors being unique, we wouldn't even be the only school in Milwaukee with the nickname.

On my daily commute, I go past two different high schools that have the Warrior nickname.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:36:25 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »
I don't think many have claimed that "Warriors" was unique.  But it was part of Marquette's heritage.

I think the complaint is that Golden Eagles as a replacement is just a generic nickname without any connection to the University. At least "Hilltoppers" has a tradition behind it.  And "Gold" does too in a more indirect way.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2017, 01:20:50 PM »
I don't think many have claimed that "Warriors" was unique.  But it was part of Marquette's heritage.

I think the complaint is that Golden Eagles as a replacement is just a generic nickname without any connection to the University. At least "Hilltoppers" has a tradition behind it.  And "Gold" does too in a more indirect way.

Agree completely.