Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe  (Read 71874 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe
« Reply #200 on: August 26, 2019, 08:12:56 PM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #201 on: August 26, 2019, 08:16:12 PM »
Dear god no

The new version of Howard the Duck does appear in Endgame.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #202 on: August 26, 2019, 10:52:58 PM »
Dear god no

My point exactly.  Thank you. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2019, 06:46:24 AM »

When this happens we'll know the era of Marvel Cinematic dominance will have ended
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2019, 08:52:30 AM »
When this happens we'll know the era of Marvel Cinematic dominance will have ended

From a creator perspective, you have to think a Rocket/Groot movie would be hotly anticipated and sell a lot of tickets. If a talking raccoon could lead a franchise, why not a talking duck? I'm not saying I want, desire, or have any need for an expanded role for Howard. The little cameos with Seth Green voicing him is fine. But they've made just as crazy of stuff work.

If you had told people in 2006 that Rocket Raccoon would be a major film character voiced by an Academy Award nominated actor they would've called BS. I mean, since his mini-series in the mid-1980s, his only appearances were a few issues of She-Hulk in 1992 and the reminder of his existence in the occasional Marvel Universe Handbooks. Frankly, if you had asked me which was more likely as a leading character in a new MCU franchise at that time and the options were Howard or Rocket, the answer would've unquestionably been Howard. He had three limited series, made appearances in other titles at least every 1-3 years, and had already been the subject of a film.

Again, not calling for any more Howard, but considering the role Rocket has taken in the MCU, stranger things have not only happened, but also been wildly successful.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2019, 09:26:10 AM »
From a creator perspective, you have to think a Rocket/Groot movie would be hotly anticipated and sell a lot of tickets. If a talking raccoon could lead a franchise, why not a talking duck? I'm not saying I want, desire, or have any need for an expanded role for Howard. The little cameos with Seth Green voicing him is fine. But they've made just as crazy of stuff work.

If you had told people in 2006 that Rocket Raccoon would be a major film character voiced by an Academy Award nominated actor they would've called BS. I mean, since his mini-series in the mid-1980s, his only appearances were a few issues of She-Hulk in 1992 and the reminder of his existence in the occasional Marvel Universe Handbooks. Frankly, if you had asked me which was more likely as a leading character in a new MCU franchise at that time and the options were Howard or Rocket, the answer would've unquestionably been Howard. He had three limited series, made appearances in other titles at least every 1-3 years, and had already been the subject of a film.

Again, not calling for any more Howard, but considering the role Rocket has taken in the MCU, stranger things have not only happened, but also been wildly successful.

Was he the subject of a film or was that an experiment gone wrong.

"Do you think I might find happiness in the animal kingdom ducky" still is the most disturbing line I've heard in a movie.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #206 on: August 27, 2019, 09:33:55 AM »
My biggest hope right now is still to get a Sleepwalker appearance in the next Doctor Strange. Having Nightmare as the villain would be a perfect avenue for Sleepy. He was my favorite character growing up and I still have the full run of his original series. Tough to see how he would ever fit into a full franchise with the "disappears when Rick wakes up" dynamic, but in a potential Dreamscape he would fit in just fine.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2019, 12:00:53 PM »
"Do you think I might find happiness in the animal kingdom ducky" still is the most disturbing line I've heard in a movie.

Racist.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #208 on: August 29, 2019, 03:02:20 PM »
Avengers Age of Ultron was never one of my favorite MCU movies... however I had it on the other day because it was on tv and why not.  This is the first time watching it since endgame, and looking back now, I am shocked by how fluid it felt as a run up to Infinity War and Endgame. 

The tie ins were far more plentiful than I remembered, the foreshadowing already in place in some aspects, and the character building was already leading up to where a lot of things would end.  This is exactly why these MCU movies are so popular.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #209 on: August 30, 2019, 06:26:33 AM »
If anyone is looking to get on the D+ train early, an offer popped up that I first saw this morning. Go to https://d23.com/ and click on the "become a member" option in the top left. There are offers for a Gold membership, Gold Family, but below that, you can sign up for a free "general membership". Scroll down, you'll find it. Within 24 hours of joining (not immediately) if you go to "My Account" in the top right corner and select "View Account" and then "Redeem Now".

You can sign up for 3 years of D+ for $140.97, which comes out to $46.99 per year or a little under $4 per month. It's a bit of a commitment, but if I get access to all the MCU and Star Wars movies, The Mandalorian when D+ drops, and all 8 of the announced Marvel series plus whatever else is coming in the next 3 years, it seems worth it. I would've been happy with the $6.99, so this seems like a no-brainer.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #210 on: September 27, 2019, 10:47:55 AM »

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #211 on: September 27, 2019, 10:53:59 AM »
Guess who's back, back again, Spidey's back, tell a friend...

https://mcucosmic.com/2019/09/27/disney-and-sony-reach-a-deal-spider-man-3-will-be-produced-by-kevin-feige-and-marvel-studios/

I wanted to tell so many people when I found out, but have nobody to tell.  This is great news!  Honestly made my day!

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #212 on: September 27, 2019, 11:05:04 AM »
This is great news. I love the new Spider Man movies and absolutely hated the Sony attempts.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2019, 12:50:58 PM »
Inevitable.    No way the two parties could be that dumb and cost themselves that much money.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #214 on: September 01, 2020, 01:44:37 PM »
So what happens with Black Panther 2 now that Boseman is dead? Recast? Try to have Shuri take up the mantle? Do what Star Wars did and unnaturally digitize the face of deceased actors so they can fill in the timeline?
Maigh Eo for Sam

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #215 on: September 01, 2020, 02:00:36 PM »
So what happens with Black Panther 2 now that Boseman is dead? Recast? Try to have Shuri take up the mantle? Do what Star Wars did and unnaturally digitize the face of deceased actors so they can fill in the timeline?
I'm not as big an MCU guy as a lot of you here, but since he was gone for 5 years as part of Thanos' finger snap, wouldn't they have chosen a new Black Panther to rule Wakanda, and therefore couldn't they use whoever they want that to be to be the new Blank Panther?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #216 on: September 01, 2020, 02:16:46 PM »

From what Ive been reading, Shuri ascending makes the most sense from a functional moviemaking standpoint, as well as from canon as she took over when T'Challa recovered from injuries and has all the same enhanced abilities and martial arts background.  Also Letitia Wright killed it in Black Panther as well as both Avengers films, so I think her popularity makes it easier.  I think recasting would be a bad choice and detract from how influential and foundational Boseman was in the role, especially with a logical transition available as I said.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #217 on: September 01, 2020, 02:19:02 PM »
I hate not having a T'Challa, but at least in the short term I think Shuri is the right call. If they decide to recast T'Challa in the future, so be it, but there's no need to rush that. Put little sister in and move on with her in the role.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #218 on: September 01, 2020, 02:27:33 PM »
I assumed Marvel knew he was fighting cancer and they had a contingency plan in place in case of something like this.
I believe people were surprised when Phase 4 movie dates were released that Blank Panther 2 was not on the schedule yet.  BP2 appeared in Phase 5 dates and in hindsight perhaps Marvel knew of the possibility so they made the date later as a precaution.

I felt the Black Panther joined Captain America as the conscience and moral center and was going to take over the central role in that aspect after Captain America de-superheroed himself.  Unsure where they go from here on that front.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #219 on: September 01, 2020, 03:15:58 PM »
I felt the Black Panther joined Captain America as the conscience and moral center and was going to take over the central role in that aspect after Captain America de-superheroed himself.  Unsure where they go from here on that front.

I can see Captain Marvel & even Shuri taking lead roles, but agree that neither has that conscience feel to their characters. Perhaps Sam as the new Captain America. Aside from him, I could see them trying to fit Black Knight or Ikarus into that role. Or if she's all in on the role, Natalie Portman in the Jane Foster Thor.

I don't think any existent character was as well-positioned as T'Challa for that moral compass embodiment. If they tried to make someone not yet introduced that type of focal point, Nova or Beta Ray Bill are viable candidates too. Though BRB may be too quirky.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #220 on: September 01, 2020, 10:09:02 PM »
I can see Captain Marvel & even Shuri taking lead roles, but agree that neither has that conscience feel to their characters. Perhaps Sam as the new Captain America. Aside from him, I could see them trying to fit Black Knight or Ikarus into that role. Or if she's all in on the role, Natalie Portman in the Jane Foster Thor.

I don't think any existent character was as well-positioned as T'Challa for that moral compass embodiment. If they tried to make someone not yet introduced that type of focal point, Nova or Beta Ray Bill are viable candidates too. Though BRB may be too quirky.

You make a good point about Falcon/Sam.  Now that T'Challa is gone, Sam is the remaining black superhero.  With how much Black Panther resonated in the cultural zeitgeist, Marvel will likely push to emphasize their remaining black heroes.  For the Black Panther franchise, it will be girl-heavy with Shuri and Danai Gurira's and Lupita Nyongo's characters.  But it also means elevating the Falcon character, perhaps to a starring film or a spot in the new core group of Avengers.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2020, 03:00:53 PM »
You make a good point about Falcon/Sam.  Now that T'Challa is gone, Sam is the remaining black superhero.  With how much Black Panther resonated in the cultural zeitgeist, Marvel will likely push to emphasize their remaining black heroes.  For the Black Panther franchise, it will be girl-heavy with Shuri and Danai Gurira's and Lupita Nyongo's characters.  But it also means elevating the Falcon character, perhaps to a starring film or a spot in the new core group of Avengers.

I'd be very curious as to what the MCU plans are for the Defenders characters featured in the Netflix shows. I know some received mixed reviews, but there are rumors that Charlie Cox will be portraying Matt Murdock as Peter's defense lawyer in the next Spider-Man movie. If they are truly thinking about bringing those characters into the MCU, it might not be a bad idea to consider bringing in Mike Colter's Luke Cage character. Though is he too morally ambiguous to take a more integral role in the future? I'm sure they want a strong black lead.

Who are the other options? Don Cheadle's War Machine? Mahershala Ali's Blade? Introduce Miles Morales or Bishop? Or a female character like Storm or a Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel/Spectrum/Photon? I do think having a major black hero is important to the franchise, but aside from bit players like Deathlok, Cloak, or Night Thrasher, the options aren't great.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #222 on: January 15, 2021, 06:58:15 PM »
Wandavision is quirky, well written, and funny.  Both Olsen and Bettany are great in the first two eps and a solid supporting cast, and I love Kathryn Hahn in just about anything. (with Bettany stealing the show in episode 2).

Excited for more

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #223 on: January 15, 2021, 08:35:05 PM »
Wandavision is quirky, well written, and funny.  Both Olsen and Bettany are great in the first two eps and a solid supporting cast, and I love Kathryn Hahn in just about anything. (with Bettany stealing the show in episode 2).

Excited for more

Really enjoyed the first couple episodes and curious to see where it goes. The offbeat, designed to be creepy & foreboding parts are also really well done. It mixes levity with impending doom very well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #224 on: January 15, 2021, 09:05:51 PM »
Loved the hydra reference in the 'commercial' in the second episode.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.