'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Men's Basketball Centennial Hoopla  (Read 62794 times)

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
Re: Marquette Men's Basketball Centennial Hoopla
« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2017, 01:10:55 AM »
Yes he did. And when he saw what he had at UT he asked Cords if he could come back and Cords said no because of the press conference.

The way Crean left wasn't supposed to happen the way it did. His brother in law leaked it on an Indianapolis radio show. There were already arrangements to take the team to his house in Mequon that night before it became public.

What "Our Kev" said was:

'I've taken Marquette as far as it could go (to the Sweet 16). Time for a new challenge at UT.'

So when Marquette made the Final Four 9 years later in 2003, I wrote a letter to the Milwaukee Journal Sports Editor and it was published in the Sunday Edition the day after Final Four game.

At that time Kevin was a vagabond coach and like today his greatest success was at Marquette.  My letter said in so many words: 'Kevin you once said you had taken Marquette as far as it could go. In reality, it was Marquette that took you as far as you could go'.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:20:45 AM by DavidBoone2inchesTaller »
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #226 on: June 26, 2017, 05:45:13 AM »
I hope you and others someday will find in their heart the ability to recognize maybe O'Neill and Crean changed.  Maybe they didn't, but through my life experiences I have seen people make choices or decisions they thought were the right ones at a given time, perhaps through immaturity or conceit (over confidence), but later realized that the choices made were wrong.  In O'Neill and Crean's case, I suspect neither has true regrets as they took on other opportunities, but that doesn't devalue their comments or current line of thinking on the MU job and their affinity for itnor the people that touched them when they were head coaches at MU.  People can change.

God bless them.

Some people pretend not to hear things.  Some people clearly didnt change, despite their diarrhea of the keyboard and wailing for forgiveness and saying they have changed.  Like the guy that prays to God if he can survive and then 5 minutes later forgets the whole situation.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #227 on: June 26, 2017, 08:02:14 AM »
One new thing I learned at Hoopla:

Dr. Lovell said that when he first became President, he commissioned a study to determine the economic impact of the basketball program to the university.  He said that they found out that every dollar spent on Men's Basketball brings in six dollars in economic benefit to Marquette.

I am going to find out if that study is published online somewhere so I can send it to people who bitch about how much money we spend on hoops.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #228 on: June 26, 2017, 08:05:32 AM »

Dr. Lovell said that when he first became President, he commissioned a study to determine the economic impact of the basketball program to the university.  He said that they found out that every dollar spent on Men's Basketball brings in six dollars in economic benefit to Marquette.

I am going to find out if that study is published online somewhere so I can send it to people who bitch about how much money we spend on hoops.

Wow!  Interesting stat. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #229 on: June 26, 2017, 08:07:57 AM »

But, but...We should be using that money to invest in lowering our admission rates and sending out recruiters to the elite east coast schools to improve our non-revenue lacrosse team.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #231 on: June 26, 2017, 08:19:45 AM »

When we start winnng again on a regular basis that number will be more impactful.  6:1 is pretty darn good considering we're we have been.  Som good years in the study I'm sure 16/16/8 - but that is an impressive number.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #232 on: June 26, 2017, 08:24:06 AM »
?

The point is that some people (not you) who constantly claim how terrible Crean is are basically showing themselves to be just as terrible in the process.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #233 on: June 26, 2017, 08:27:28 AM »
What "Our Kev" said was:

'I've taken Marquette as far as it could go (to the Sweet 16). Time for a new challenge at UT.'

So when Marquette made the Final Four 9 years later in 2003, I wrote a letter to the Milwaukee Journal Sports Editor and it was published in the Sunday Edition the day after Final Four game.

At that time Kevin was a vagabond coach and like today his greatest success was at Marquette.  My letter said in so many words: 'Kevin you once said you had taken Marquette as far as it could go. In reality, it was Marquette that took you as far as you could go'.

In researching this, I looked up an old NYT article on the move and it contained this gem:

"Athletic Director Doug Dickey said that O'Neill would have a five-year contract with a base salary of $115,000 a year, plus guaranteed radio and television income of $125,000 a year.

Marquette had been paying him about $150,000 a year. His contract at Marquette was to run through the 1996-97 season and reportedly contained a $125,000 buyout clause."

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #234 on: June 26, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »

In researching this, I looked up an old NYT article on the move and it contained this gem:

"Athletic Director Doug Dickey said that O'Neill would have a five-year contract with a base salary of $115,000 a year, plus guaranteed radio and television income of $125,000 a year.

Marquette had been paying him about $150,000 a year. His contract at Marquette was to run through the 1996-97 season and reportedly contained a $125,000 buyout clause."

KO's problem was he was a gypsy. He should have stayed at UT and challenged Kentucky for SEC supremacy. I think he could have done it.

He could have.  He should have. He didn't

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #235 on: June 26, 2017, 10:27:52 AM »

Wow. I can only imagine how big that was when we were a national powerhouse.

You can see it in the geographical diversity of the student body. When we stink, we're a Wisconsin and Illinois school. When we're good, we have a much larger national base of students.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #236 on: June 26, 2017, 11:13:50 AM »
What "Our Kev" said was:

It was a little more than that. When he called Cords and asked to come back Cords responded something along the line of "did you forget your press conference already?"
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #237 on: June 26, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »

So the Coach's salary has increased 10X or more in the last 25 years, astounding.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #238 on: June 26, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »
So the Coach's salary has increased 10X or more in the last 25 years, astounding.

How far out of line is that with the rest of the professional world?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #239 on: June 26, 2017, 11:42:48 AM »
How far out of line is that with the rest of the professional world?

Yes.

The rate of inflation since 1992 is about 75%.  So KO's contract would be worth about $260,000 today. 

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #240 on: June 26, 2017, 01:46:39 PM »
I just read through the commemorative program book last night.  Enjoyed it, some great pics.  Loved the writeup about the 74 Final Four as I was there, and while I do know how the Coke machine ended up in the swimming pool, what happened in Greensboro stays in Greensboro....
As the last line says, "it led to all those snowy walks downtown, the crowd gathering, and the energy rising, and even now, I can hear the doors opening and the band beginning to play".

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #241 on: June 26, 2017, 01:47:57 PM »
Kinda a weird request....

I have a good friend and MU supporter who showed me a picture on his phone of the banners behind the stage at the Hoopla.  My friend is prominently pictured in one of the banners, (maybe from last year's Villanova game)?  Who do you think I'd contact to try to make a donation and receive the banner?  I can't imagine MU is considering reusing the banners.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #242 on: June 26, 2017, 01:50:53 PM »
Kinda a weird request....

I have a good friend and MU supporter who showed me a picture on his phone of the banners behind the stage at the Hoopla.  My friend is prominently pictured in one of the banners, (maybe from last year's Villanova game)?  Who do you think I'd contact to try to make a donation and receive the banner?  I can't imagine MU is considering reusing the banners.

Those weren't actually banners.  They were video screens.
Have some patience, FFS.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #243 on: June 26, 2017, 01:53:20 PM »
Those weren't actually banners.  They were video screens.

Then I'll have to get him something else for his birthday.  Thanks!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #245 on: June 26, 2017, 02:24:32 PM »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Ludum habemus.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #248 on: June 26, 2017, 02:33:46 PM »
CHARLES P. PIERCE is obviously a Marquette grad with the McCormick References.
Shouldn't Steve Rushin be writing this story for SI?

Pierce is a Marquette grad and interacts with Paint Touches on basketball stuff regularly.

The fact that he is an unabashed, ornery liberal whose Esquire articles are a must-read makes him even better.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #249 on: June 26, 2017, 03:00:07 PM »

Pierce is a Marquette grad and interacts with Paint Touches on basketball stuff regularly.

The fact that he is an unabashed, ornery liberal whose Esquire articles are a must-read makes him even better.

Or it makes him an obnoxious blowhard who writes barely-readable drivel. Tomato, tomahto  ;)

feedback