Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Men's Basketball Centennial Hoopla  (Read 62816 times)

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
Re: Marquette Men's Basketball Centennial Hoopla
« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2017, 10:24:35 AM »
Some people do. Other people claim to have a life changing loss that completely changes their outlook on life, come back to an online forum they've been blocked from many times, claim they're not trying to nor interested in coming back to MUScoop but rather just want to apologize for his previous actions because life is too short to spend on MUScoop, promise to never return again, and then once Tom Crean is fired a few months later come running back to defend his every move. Maybe the lesson wasn't learned.

I hope you and others someday will find in their heart the ability to recognize maybe O'Neill and Crean changed.  Maybe they didn't, but through my life experiences I have seen people make choices or decisions they thought were the right ones at a given time, perhaps through immaturity or conceit (over confidence), but later realized that the choices made were wrong.  In O'Neill and Crean's case, I suspect neither has true regrets as they took on other opportunities, but that doesn't devalue their comments or current line of thinking on the MU job and their affinity for itnor the people that touched them when they were head coaches at MU.  People can change.

God bless them.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2017, 10:26:07 AM »
Last year meaning 2016, of I recall, but this past season (2016-2017 season).  He was Big Ten coach of the year and three finalists for national coach of the year in 2016, also happened last year, but reflective of the 2015-16 season.

Both happened last year but represent different seasons.  The act of winning COY and the act of beating UNC and KU both happened in 2016, some would say that is last year. My apologies for any confusion this may have caused.  2016 feels like last year to me.  Others may differ on that interpretation.

Yeesh. I hope you don't work in the financial sector with a fiscal year that doesn't line up with the calendar.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2017, 11:34:28 AM »
Btw, Joey was there on Friday
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »
Btw, Joey was there on Friday

I was in the locker room when a group of tall guys walked in.  I noticed that the last name on all of their nametags was "Heldt".

Looks like Matty has some younger brothers and/or cousins.
Have some patience, FFS.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2017, 12:13:55 PM »
I was in the locker room when a group of tall guys walked in.  I noticed that the last name on all of their nametags was "Heldt".

Looks like Matty has some younger brothers and/or cousins.

Were these younger Heldt's more talented basketball players than Matt? If so, it all makes sense.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2017, 01:19:33 PM »
"Our Kev" has said many times that he probably left MU too early.

Also, I've always respected "Our Kev" because he had the guts to hold a press conference before he left MU for UT. Major props for that in my book because if you leave, there is a right way and a wrong way. Even though I was upset that he left, "Our Kev" did it the right way. Tommy Tutone on the other hand....

DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #206 on: June 25, 2017, 01:30:52 PM »
You're the only one who sees him as a calculated liar.  That's singularly on you. Sorry you're so bitter.
He's not the only one who views Crean that way.

And bitter? Far from it. I'm over joyed he's gone

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #207 on: June 25, 2017, 02:21:00 PM »
With one exception, I can forgive as we have moved on.

KO left for the University of Tennessee. Probably a good move for him. We hurt because we hired the wrong guy to replace him. Sorry Mike, we did. Had KO stayed at UT (and I understand why that offer could be compelling), the Vols probably would have won the national championship at least once. But KO left there because he was fourth most important sport behind football (KO, this is UT, what did you expect. Football is more important than academics!), spring football and women's basketball. That was a dumb move, especially going to Northwestern.

Crean left for essentially the same reason. While many of my genre believe Indiana and Marquette to be equivalent (we were after all 1 and 2 in the country in 1976), the vast majority of people would disagree. Crean had a long contract at IU and a long leash to clean things up. He almost did but that's a school that thinks if they're not in the mix for an NCAA championship, the coach should be quietly disposed of. Given the money and security of that contract, Crean would have been a fool not to take it. And, he left the cupboard fairly full for the Hillbilly. He's laughing all the way to the bank.

The Hillbilly will not be forgiven. OK, I may spend a few millennia in purgatory for that, but I'll never forgive the Hillbilly for the way he treated us. I become ill and emotionally agitated when I see that crew-cut faker on television. It's a personal weakness and a spiritual one (no Fathers, Confession won't help because I ain't promising to sin no more on this one) but I hope that guy is the highest paid unemployed basketball coach in the history of mankind. Maybe someday, after Wojo does what the Hillbilly was never going to do, hang a banner next to 1977, but until then....

Except for the Hillbilly, it's time to move on.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #208 on: June 25, 2017, 02:53:26 PM »

KO left for the University of Tennessee. Probably a good move for him. We hurt because we hired the wrong guy to replace him. Sorry Mike, we did. Had KO stayed at UT (and I understand why that offer could be compelling), the Vols probably would have won the national championship at least once. But KO left there because he was fourth most important sport behind football (KO, this is UT, what did you expect. Football is more important than academics!), spring football and women's basketball. That was a dumb move, especially going to Northwestern.

Crean left for essentially the same reason. While many of my genre believe Indiana and Marquette to be equivalent (we were after all 1 and 2 in the country in 1976), the vast majority of people would disagree. Crean had a long contract at IU and a long leash to clean things up. He almost did but that's a school that thinks if they're not in the mix for an NCAA championship, the coach should be quietly disposed of. Given the money and security of that contract, Crean would have been a fool not to take it. And, he left the cupboard fairly full for the Hillbilly. He's laughing all the way to the bank.

The Hillbilly will not be forgiven. OK, I may spend a few millennia in purgatory for that, but I'll never forgive the Hillbilly for the way he treated us. I become ill and emotionally agitated when I see that crew-cut faker on television. It's a personal weakness and a spiritual one (no Fathers, Confession won't help because I ain't promising to sin no more on this one) but I hope that guy is the highest paid unemployed basketball coach in the history of mankind. Maybe someday, after Wojo does what the Hillbilly was never going to do, hang a banner next to 1977, but until then....

Agreed. I'd be fine the Buzz's departure as well except he ripped on Marquette and the Big East as he left and still occasionally does to this day.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #209 on: June 25, 2017, 03:45:57 PM »

We may need to exorcise that demon at Soft Pines this summer. Some anti-Buzz whiskey should do the trick. 

augoman

• All American
« Reply #210 on: June 25, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »

I. too, was done with Crean's slick self promotion and quite happy that he moved on- if only he had done so respectfully/properly.  His brother-in-law got him the gig and he exhibited about as much class as Jim does.  Too bad for him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #211 on: June 25, 2017, 04:31:03 PM »
"Our Kev" has said many times that he probably left MU too early.

Also, I've always respected "Our Kev" because he had the guts to hold a press conference before he left MU for UT. Major props for that in my book because if you leave, there is a right way and a wrong way. Even though I was upset that he left, "Our Kev" did it the right way. Tommy Tutone on the other hand....

Didn't KO rip the University on the way out?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #212 on: June 25, 2017, 04:32:06 PM »
I thought Crean had peaked at MU.  I think Buzz is a better coach.   I have pointed out Crean's weaknesses as a coach many times.   But....  9 years is long enough.   He came back and made peace.    Time to move on. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #213 on: June 25, 2017, 04:40:02 PM »

I mean he ripped them the other night as well with the two glasss of wine limit comment.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #214 on: June 25, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »
We may need to exorcise that demon at Soft Pines this summer. Some anti-Buzz whiskey should do the trick.

Sounds like a plan. I gotta figure out time to go up there.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2017, 04:42:04 PM »
I mean he ripped them the other night as well with the two glasss of wine limit comment.

That was a joke.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #216 on: June 25, 2017, 05:39:31 PM »

Bingo - lots of MU fans on board with this!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #217 on: June 25, 2017, 08:19:04 PM »
Bingo - lots of MU fans on board with this!

Yup!

I was done with Crean by years 5 n 6.  The schtick, the personality, the pouting and the horrible coaching.  This and literally horrible recruiting classes before the 3 amigos left the program in shambles 5-6 yrs into a tenure?!.  How would the masses feel if buzz or wojo had seasons like that?  Add in his personality n terrible coaching.  It was time to go.  He finally got the 3 amigos but the personality n horrible coaching continued.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #218 on: June 25, 2017, 08:32:43 PM »
Yup!

I was done with Crean by years 5 n 6.  The schtick, the personality, the pouting and the horrible coaching.  This and literally horrible recruiting classes before the 3 amigos left the program in shambles 5-6 yrs into a tenure?!.  How would the masses feel if buzz or wojo had seasons like that?  Add in his personality n terrible coaching.  It was time to go.  He finally got the 3 amigos but the personality n horrible coaching continued.

Are the people that constantly say these same things about Crean's personality truly not self-aware enough to realize the irony of their posts?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #219 on: June 25, 2017, 09:35:02 PM »
Yup!

...and he could not sign a big, but now we have bigs and there are those here on Scoop who complain about Wojo not being a good game coach or can't teach defense and on and on and if a player decides to transfer it is because he got Wojoed; not that he may actually see he is not good enough to compete. At least we are not criticizing him for his character....yet.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #220 on: June 25, 2017, 09:58:52 PM »
You ignore Commissioner Tranghese's comments about MU and the BE, and Crean's influence of MU landing there.  Timing is everything, Final Four was critical, commitment critical, no Crean equals no Wade, no Wade = no Final Four.

For whatever odd reason this grates some people. Be happy stars aligned, or recruits fell into one's lap if that makes others feel better through disparagement, end of the day those events happened and MU benefitted from it.

Is that not enough for all of us to be happy where we are?  MU would likely be in this version of the BE after the breakup a few years ago, that was not necessarily a slam dunk case when we actually joined with what we had done the previous two decades (not much).  Read Tranghese's comments.

The commisioner of a conference complimenting the efforts of a new members coach, hmm defining and never seen before.  Smh sucker born every day.  BE prolly offers Loyola, Dayton, or Slu if Crean is not at MU.  SMH

Lets get back to reality... Show me a midwestern school that wasnt in a power 5 conference already that had a bigger fanbase, better attendance, better arena, better tradition,  bigger city, and better recent performance under oneil n deane ( lets pretend no final 4 fir crean).  Marquette is still the no brainer for the BE. 
Again no credit to Crean, he deseves none.
Al yes, KO yes, Crean hell no
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:06:55 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #221 on: June 25, 2017, 10:25:09 PM »
Are the people that constantly say these same things about Crean's personality truly not self-aware enough to realize the irony of their posts?

?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #222 on: June 25, 2017, 11:23:33 PM »
Caught? He created it. Other than a game against Bucky, when was the last time we had sold out the BC before Crean?

I was specifically referring to Dwyane Wade. Landing a three star recruit that turns into one of the 25 or so greatest players in the history of the game is lightning in a bottle. Crean capitalized it and gets credit for recruiting Wade, but there was still some luck involved.

It would be like if Greg Elliott produced at Wade's level. Wojo gets credit for finding the guy and beating Izzo to him, but that's still a bit of a lucky find.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #223 on: June 25, 2017, 11:50:07 PM »
?

I believe the pouting is the irony...
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #224 on: June 26, 2017, 12:26:38 AM »

Yes he did. And when he saw what he had at UT he asked Cords if he could come back and Cords said no because of the press conference.

The way Crean left wasn't supposed to happen the way it did. His brother in law leaked it on an Indianapolis radio show. There were already arrangements to take the team to his house in Mequon that night before it became public.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback