Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Men's Basketball Centennial Hoopla  (Read 62861 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Marquette Men's Basketball Centennial Hoopla
« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2017, 08:01:04 AM »
And Crean wasn't leaving for anywhere but MSU when Izzo left.......and the only place Buzz was going was Texas.
One MU coach will figure out that Marquette is the destination job--not sure if it's Wojo, but I think it just might be. They way he embraces the history is impressive, but it's easier ultimately to recruit at Duke--since they offer and recruit very little.

That is exactly what a lot of folks think. Let's see how easy it is to recruit at Duke once Coach K retires. That notion did not help Crean at Indiana nor the myriad coaches that followed Wooden at UCLA. I hope you are right about Wojo; perhaps he can be our Mark Few only more successful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2017, 08:12:22 AM »
One of the more interesting comments while watching the player interviews was the one made by Bo Ellis. It was the "players" that recruited him" Al was just the icing. It sounded like they were pretty active in that effort as well. Are there any rules today that prevent current players from contacting recruits? Sure, the coaches build that relationship but it sounded like back in Al's day the players were involved too. How true is that today?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #177 on: June 25, 2017, 08:24:01 AM »
And Crean wasn't leaving for anywhere but MSU when Izzo left.......and the only place Buzz was going was Texas.
One MU coach will figure out that Marquette is the destination job--not sure if it's Wojo, but I think it just might be. They way he embraces the history is impressive, but it's easier ultimately to recruit at Duke--since they offer and recruit very little.

I never said that
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #178 on: June 25, 2017, 08:30:12 AM »
I guess I wasn't clear. It is much much much easier to recruit at Duke than at MU. MU could be on a recruit for 3 years, his brother could be on the team, and Duke could come in at the 11th hour and swoop that player up with little to no involvement or effort.

Not sure I buy that.

If you're arguing that Joey Hauser would drop everything and go to Duke if only Coach K called, not sure I buy that either. He's been pretty focused on us and two lesser schools. Yeah, it is flattering when a Coach K, Roy Williams or John Calipari calls (won't get into Slick Rick because his calls involve something else), but there are many intangibles that enter into a 17-year-old's thought process when selecting a school to play college basketball.

I suppose a recruit would have to listen if Coach K called, but Coach K doesn't get his "choice" of recruits. I'm sure Wojo would agree.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #179 on: June 25, 2017, 08:33:10 AM »
One of the more interesting comments while watching the player interviews was the one made by Bo Ellis. It was the "players" that recruited him" Al was just the icing. It sounded like they were pretty active in that effort as well. Are there any rules today that prevent current players from contacting recruits? Sure, the coaches build that relationship but it sounded like back in Al's day the players were involved too. How true is that today?

I remember Duane being really good at that. He was always talking to recruits on twitter and I'm sure he would call them as well.

Same with Noskowiak, never played for us obviously but I remember him always reaching out to potential recruits.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #180 on: June 25, 2017, 08:36:42 AM »
That is exactly what a lot of folks think. Let's see how easy it is to recruit at Duke once Coach K retires. That notion did not help Crean at Indiana nor the myriad coaches that followed Wooden at UCLA. I hope you are right about Wojo; perhaps he can be our Mark Few only more successful.

And let's remember that the supposed 'easier to recruit' notion is absolutely coupled with the 'must win national championships' expectation that comes with it.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #181 on: June 25, 2017, 08:39:38 AM »
Absolutely. Listening to his story about Izzo telling Crean he had the best job I the country, I thought if Tom could do it all over again, he'd still be our coach.

What was the story?
We Are Marquette

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #182 on: June 25, 2017, 08:42:39 AM »
What was the story?

That was essentially the story. Izzo told Crean. Crean implied that maybe he shoulda listened.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2017, 08:44:26 AM »
And let's remember that the supposed 'easier to recruit' notion is absolutely coupled with the 'must win national championships' expectation that comes with it.

...and getting into the NBA.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #184 on: June 25, 2017, 08:45:10 AM »
Really? People are so naive.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #185 on: June 25, 2017, 08:51:05 AM »
Really? People are so naive.

Well 4never. Several of us were there and heard what he said. No one is suggesting that he was saying that he'd necessarily do things differently.  What we all heard was that he has a soft spot for MU and probably didn't appreciate it enough while he was here. Live and learn.

You're the only one who sees him as a calculated liar.  That's singularly on you. Sorry you're so bitter.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #186 on: June 25, 2017, 08:58:47 AM »
I think what really impressed me the most is how successful all the returning players have become "after basketball". KO touched on that during the coaches interview regarding his players.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #187 on: June 25, 2017, 09:05:07 AM »
I think what really impressed me the most is how successful all the returning players have become "after basketball". KO touched on that during the coaches interview regarding his players.

Yep. And Mike Deane said that Aaron Hutchins has one class left, and when he completes that, 100% of his players will have graduated.

Come on Aaron, get on the stick!  I bet it's not too late to register for 2nd session of summer semester!
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #188 on: June 25, 2017, 09:16:32 AM »
Well 4never. Several of us were there and heard what he said. No one is suggesting that he was saying that he'd necessarily do things differently.  What we all heard was that he has a soft spot for MU and probably didn't appreciate it enough while he was here. Live and learn.

You're the only one who sees him as a calculated liar.  That's singularly on you. Sorry you're so bitter.

I heard what he said, also. I'm a pretty good judge of a person's fabric and character. But, I highly doubt that I'm "the only one who sees him as a calculated liar." He is, however, a master at self-promotion, drama, and hyperbole. Credit is hereby given for fooling most of the people, most of the time.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:20:47 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #189 on: June 25, 2017, 09:21:26 AM »
Not sure I buy that.

If you're arguing that Joey Hauser would drop everything and go to Duke if only Coach K called, not sure I buy that either. He's been pretty focused on us and two lesser schools. Yeah, it is flattering when a Coach K, Roy Williams or John Calipari calls (won't get into Slick Rick because his calls involve something else), but there are many intangibles that enter into a 17-year-old's thought process when selecting a school to play college basketball.

I suppose a recruit would have to listen if Coach K called, but Coach K doesn't get his "choice" of recruits. I'm sure Wojo would agree.
Coach K and Coach Cal get several top 20 players every year. Every year. These recruits are their "choices" and they get them--not every one but a great majority.
I sure hope the blue bloods don't come knocking on JHs door, cuz I don't know what he'll do.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #190 on: June 25, 2017, 09:31:19 AM »
Recruiting was not TCs problem at IU--he's the same coach he was here.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #191 on: June 25, 2017, 09:36:11 AM »
When Crean was gushing Marquette, my buddy leaned over & ax'D a valid Q... "why'd you leave, then?"

Thought Crean did well, but not gonna leap to conclusions of true regret

Because people make decisions, sometimes they regret.  O'Neill has said he made a mistake leaving.  People cheat on their spouses, move to a city they later regret, sold that stock when they shouldn't have, etc.

We are human beings and we cannot see the future.

That is why.

What troubles me with some comments in this thread are the lack of forgiving principles by MU and Catholic educates alumni, and the lack of acceptance of redemption by people.  Folks can change, they can admit the error of their ways, yet we too often seem unwilling to accept this happens in life on a daily basis.

Crean was a huge jerk at MU.  So was Kevin O'Neill.  Some say Rick was. As they got older, matured, lived life, had failures, did they become better people? Are they allowed to acknowledge regrets?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #192 on: June 25, 2017, 09:37:26 AM »

Bull.

TC signed five 5-star recruits at IU: Zeller, Ferrell, Vonleh, Blackmon, Bryant.  That's exactly five more than he signed at MU in the same amount of time.

He recruited fine with the IU name.  He just didn't get the expected performance out of the kids he got to campus.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #193 on: June 25, 2017, 09:39:16 AM »

He was BIg Ten COach of the year last year and 3rd nationally.  His problem was roster management, especially when injuries came into the equation.  They were 14th in nation last year, beat KU and UNC, but when they lost key players they could not adjust.

He should stay in TV, he is good at it.  Don't be shocked if that is how it shakes out ultimately and has a long career doing it.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #194 on: June 25, 2017, 09:43:57 AM »
Guru disagree with u 1000% on crean and the BE.  Final 4, wade sure crean clearly deserves credit, but the BE?! No. MU fit all the criteria the BE was looking for eveb before Crean.  Al deserves credit, not Crean.  Hell Depaul got in!
Doesnt deserve credit on the Al, either that was getting built regardless

You ignore Commissioner Tranghese's comments about MU and the BE, and Crean's influence of MU landing there.  Timing is everything, Final Four was critical, commitment critical, no Crean equals no Wade, no Wade = no Final Four.

For whatever odd reason this grates some people. Be happy stars aligned, or recruits fell into one's lap if that makes others feel better through disparagement, end of the day those events happened and MU benefitted from it.

Is that not enough for all of us to be happy where we are?  MU would likely be in this version of the BE after the breakup a few years ago, that was not necessarily a slam dunk case when we actually joined with what we had done the previous two decades (not much).  Read Tranghese's comments.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:51:38 AM by 4or5yearstojudge »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #195 on: June 25, 2017, 09:50:39 AM »

I guess were conflating the school with the coach as I don't disagree with you. It's not Duke or Kentucky that can get any recruit they want it is coach K or Cal that gets the recruit.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #196 on: June 25, 2017, 09:56:30 AM »

I heard what he said, also. I'm a pretty good judge of a person's fabric and character. But, I highly doubt that I'm "the only one who sees him as a calculated liar." He is, however, a master at self-promotion, drama, and hyperbole. Credit is hereby given for fooling most of the people, most of the time.

I should have included the word 'here'. No reason to fight further. Just wanted to clarify what I had meant to say.  :)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #197 on: June 25, 2017, 09:59:14 AM »
He was BIg Ten COach of the year last year and 3rd nationally.  His problem was roster management, especially when injuries came into the equation.  They were 14th in nation last year, beat KU and UNC, but when they lost key players they could not adjust.

He should stay in TV, he is good at it.  Don't be shocked if that is how it shakes out ultimately and has a long career doing it.

If IU beat KU and UNC before injures "last year," then Tom Crean was not B1G COY "last year." Those things didn't happen in the same year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #198 on: June 25, 2017, 10:03:12 AM »
Because people make decisions, sometimes they regret.  O'Neill has said he made a mistake leaving.  People cheat on their spouses, move to a city they later regret, sold that stock when they shouldn't have, etc.

We are human beings and we cannot see the future.

That is why.

What troubles me with some comments in this thread are the lack of forgiving principles by MU and Catholic educates alumni, and the lack of acceptance of redemption by people.  Folks can change, they can admit the error of their ways, yet we too often seem unwilling to accept this happens in life on a daily basis.

Crean was a huge jerk at MU.  So was Kevin O'Neill.  Some say Rick was. As they got older, matured, lived life, had failures, did they become better people? Are they allowed to acknowledge regrets?

Some people do. Other people claim to have a life changing loss that completely changes their outlook on life, come back to an online forum they've been blocked from many times, claim they're not trying to nor interested in coming back to MUScoop but rather just want to apologize for his previous actions because life is too short to spend on MUScoop, promise to never return again, and then once Tom Crean is fired a few months later come running back to defend his every move. Maybe the lesson wasn't learned.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #199 on: June 25, 2017, 10:19:46 AM »
If IU beat KU and UNC before injures "last year," then Tom Crean was not B1G COY "last year." Those things didn't happen in the same year.

Last year meaning 2016, of I recall, but this past season (2016-2017 season).  He was Big Ten coach of the year and three finalists for national coach of the year in 2016, also happened last year, but reflective of the 2015-16 season.

Both happened last year but represent different seasons.  The act of winning COY and the act of beating UNC and KU both happened in 2016, some would say that is last year. My apologies for any confusion this may have caused.  2016 feels like last year to me.  Others may differ on that interpretation.

feedback