[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If we lose out, would it change your perception of Wojo?  (Read 10881 times)

DienerTime34

• All American
If we lose out, would it change your perception of Wojo?
« on: February 27, 2017, 04:53:59 PM »
If we fall to Xavier, Creighton and are a first-round exit in the Big East tournament, does Wojo still get the automatic 4th year?

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: If we lose out, would it change your perception of Wojo?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 04:54:22 PM »
Yes and yes.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 04:55:32 PM »
No and yes

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 04:55:51 PM »
Yes, but it would definitely turn up the heat. That said, I'd still consider this year a grudging success if we landed in the NIT.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 04:56:43 PM »
YES

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 04:58:21 PM »
Wojo isn't going anywhere.

However, if MU loses out, it would be hard to call this season progress.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 05:02:14 PM »
If we fall to Xavier, Creighton and are a first-round exit in the Big East tournament, does Wojo still get the automatic 4th year?
Consideration is being given to another contract extension as we speak. Everyone on the BOT thinks Lovell walks on water . As long as Lovell  is in the power position he is going to keep his boy in the job. Scholl will carry any water he is told to carry.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 05:12:42 PM »
If Marquette's leadership is all set to have him come back next year...and they lose out...and Marquette fires him because of that, the problem lies with Marquette's leadership.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 05:27:18 PM »
Consideration is being given to another contract extension as we speak. Everyone on the BOT thinks Lovell walks on water . As long as Lovell  is in the power position he is going to keep his boy in the job. Scholl will carry any water he is told to carry.

I think the last thing the administration should be looking at now is a contract extension. While Wojo certainly hasn't done anything fireable, he also hasn't showed anything to indicate he's worth millions more in an extension. His future rests with next year's freshmen. If they can't play 30 minutes a game and hold their own, his seat should be very warm.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 05:32:56 PM »
Barring a  last place finish next season Wojo is here for at least two more years. I would have a hard time seeing him staying if he can't get us into the NCAAs after 5 years.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 05:34:42 PM »
It needs to be strongly suggested to Wojo next year however that he bring in either a veteran X's and o's guy, or a defensive minded guru. I think Wojo thinks he has this all under control, when in reality, he doesn't.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 05:36:47 PM »
It needs to be strongly suggested to Wojo next year however that he bring in either a veteran X's and o's guy, or a defensive minded guru. I think Wojo thinks he has this all under control, when in reality, he doesn't.

Marquette isn't going to tell him to make staff changes. 

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 06:01:34 PM »
If Marquette's leadership is all set to have him come back next year...and they lose out...and Marquette fires him because of that, the problem lies with Marquette's leadership.

Eh, coaches are paid to win. If he's not doing that enough, they should drop him. A guy not living up to expectations doesn't need to be held onto any longer just because they think he's a swell guy.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 06:11:46 PM »

Every coach has a strong and substantial ego.   They could have a plan, and stick to it despite things not going exactly as planned.  It's when egnis combined with sensibility that a coach sees failure, faces it, is repulsed by it, and then makes changes,

We will see what we have soon.....

Big Noggin AL

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 06:15:34 PM »
Eh, coaches are paid to win. If he's not doing that enough, they should drop him. A guy not living up to expectations doesn't need to be held onto any longer just because they think he's a swell guy.

Very true. Wojo is a nice guy, but he's making millions. I think it's acceptable for us to demand more and not accept mediocrity.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 06:52:45 PM »

I think the problem may be is how concerned is the administration with on court results?? I'm not sure winning at a high level is all that important to them or the BOT. At least not like it used to be at MU.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 07:01:28 PM »
4-14
8-10
8-10

Three years with above record.  Can't see next year being much improved with loss of Fischer, leaving Heldt as starter and no one proven behind.  Yes, Luke has faltered lately, but he was at least a presence at times. Heldt won't be on court for more than 10 minutes without foul issues.

Unless Wojo gets a big PF grad transfer or Froling is better than expected, 8-10 might be a wish.

Fours years of non winning BE record, then year five make or break for Wojo. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 07:23:44 PM »
I think the problem may be is how concerned is the administration with on court results?? I'm not sure winning at a high level is all that important to them or the BOT. At least not like it used to be at MU.

No it's very important. That's why they are giving wojo time to build his program and not knee jerking after every loss.
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 07:28:16 PM »
No it's very important. That's why they are giving wojo time to build his program and not knee jerking after every loss.

There sure have been plenty of those the last 3 years. Attendance keeps waning, and I will bet anything season tickets go down again next year...they better start being concerned.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 07:29:29 PM »

Their definition of "high level" is what concerns me...because I'd bet anything it's not what most fans definition of "high level" is.

Big Noggin AL

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 07:34:38 PM »
There sure have been plenty of those the last 3 years. Attendance keeps waning, and I will bet anything season tickets go down again next year...they better start being concerned.

I would bet you are correct.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 07:40:49 PM »
I would bet you are correct.

::)   Trolls are so predictable and boring. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 07:45:47 PM »

But the team has gotten better each year. This is undeniable. Wojo has us trending up. You may not like the pace and I sure wish it was faster, but if you care about winning why would you fire a coach who is improving every year and start all over?
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 07:48:49 PM »
But the team has gotten better each year. This is undeniable. Wojo has us trending up. You may not like the pace and I sure wish it was faster, but if you care about winning why would you fire a coach who is improving every year and start all over?

Because Coaches have done more quicker with less for one thing. And for another, the biggest problem(at least for me) is not so much the fact that it's taking this long to be good again, it's that the program bottomed out in the 1st place. Should have NEVER come to that. I will never ever forgive Larry and Pilarz for the damage they did to this program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 07:54:12 PM »
Because Coaches have done more quicker with less for one thing. And for another, the biggest problem(at least for me) is not so much the fact that it's taking this long to be good again, it's that the program bottomed out in the 1st place. Should have NEVER come to that. I will never ever forgive Larry and Pilarz for the damage they did to this program.

And yet you seem to hold Wojo responsible for it.    You admit the program bottomed out.    You seem to recognize that the BOT was looking for the anti-Buzz.   They got it.   The BOT felt that some of the off-court stuff (which, IMO, happens all over major college sports) was giving MU a bad name and unwanted publicity.   They are giving Wojo a long leash.   With the BOT's blessing, he is eschewing the quick fix and attempting to build a program with high character players.     I have my doubts, just like you.    But, as I have said before, I can see the roadmap and the building blocks. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback