[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If we lose out, would it change your perception of Wojo?  (Read 10872 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: If we lose out, would it change your perception of Wojo?
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2017, 07:01:13 AM »
Miss NCAAs this year + miss next year = new coach.

If not, they'll lose so many ticket holders in 2019, they'll need to have bake sales to pay rent for the new arena.

This is the correct response.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2017, 07:10:40 AM »

If not, they'll lose so many ticket holders in 2019, they'll need to have bake sales to pay rent for the new arena.

You can say this but it's not true. Wojo has a minimum of two years after this one barring off the court issues or a last place finish next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2017, 07:16:58 AM »
If their not concerned with winnjng why are they spending millions

People really need to stop bringing up the money spent.  It is a poor metric inconsistently applied across schools.  Jaybee is right on this one.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2017, 07:18:38 AM »
Really? There's one team in our conference I think we would maybe beat 8 of 10 times - DePaul.

9th place Georgetown? No way.

I agree we were pretty bad last year, but not that bad.

But this team is also built for more sustained success IMO.  Its best player isn't a one and done, but there is a solid base for the future.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2017, 08:16:50 AM »
You can say this but it's not true. Wojo has a minimum of two years after this one barring off the court issues or a last place finish next season.

Giving him only four seasons is what should happen.  You are probably right about what will.

As I suggested, that 5th season will be very quiet and MU will have severely damaged their future revenues.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2017, 08:27:07 AM »
In 2018-2019 MU will see a nice bump in attendance due to the new arena.  Many Wisconsinites will be curious and MU's ticket price is significantly lower than the Bucks.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2017, 09:22:51 AM »
Giving him only four seasons is what should happen.  You are probably right about what will.

As I suggested, that 5th season will be very quiet and MU will have severely damaged their future revenues.

I think the new arena will help mitigate upset fans. Especially if a high ranked recruiting class is coming in which seems to be likely for the class of 2018.
TAMU

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2017, 10:11:51 AM »

But this team is also built for more sustained success IMO.  Its best player isn't a one and done, but there is a solid base for the future.

Agree. Markus will get better handling the ball. He'll also get stronger and more consistent. Don't know if it's possible to improve his shooting, though.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2017, 10:16:47 AM »
I think the new arena will help mitigate upset fans. Especially if a high ranked recruiting class is coming in which seems to be likely for the class of 2018.

I think you're right about the 18 class, especially if we can land Joey. But let's hope by then we're more excited about the product on the floor than the shiny new arena.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »
I want to win now and want the program to win big ASAP. That said, replacing Wojo at this point would not solve a thing, IMO. Good or bad, he is the gal we brought to the dance and he/they need to find a way to move things forward at a quicker pace.

Not to bring up the SLU reference, but there are many here that feel BOT/admin are not dissatisfied with current state/trajectory of the program. If that is true, Wojo might have a lot more time than one or two years.

Would add, that I am quite certain that not all BOT are excited about the on court performance. It is difficult for the minority to face much concern because Wojo has run a very clean program, maybe the cleanest ever.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2017, 10:28:21 AM »
In 2018-2019 MU will see a nice bump in attendance due to the new arena.  Many Wisconsinites will be curious and MU's ticket price is significantly lower than the Bucks.

No doubt, single game tickets will get a bump.   Season tickets are where they make the dough .. and donations.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »

Would add, that I am quite certain that not all BOT are excited about the on court performance. It is difficult for the minority to face much concern because Wojo has run a very clean program, maybe the cleanest ever.

Don't you think the higher-ups get worried when so many guys leave the team? Especially losing Traci after the season had already started? I'm sure they know more about the details than we ever will, but seeing guys leave the program feels like there are some things going on behind the scenes that aren't so pretty.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2017, 10:39:05 AM »
Don't you think the higher-ups get worried when so many guys leave the team? Especially losing Traci after the season had already started? I'm sure they know more about the details than we ever will, but seeing guys leave the program feels like there are some things going on behind the scenes that aren't so pretty.

No, because the transfer rate at MU isn't higher than any other major D1 program. It happens everywhere.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2017, 10:39:22 AM »

Players have been 'leaving the team' since the early days under Crean.    Only a few have ever gone on to great things elsewhere.     Transfers are now part of the college basketball landscape.   IIRC, the last stats on it showed that 40% of college basketball players transfer.   It only feels worse at MU because the big state school down the road has so few.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2017, 11:27:51 AM »
Players have been 'leaving the team' since the early days under Crean.    Only a few have ever gone on to great things elsewhere.     Transfers are now part of the college basketball landscape.   IIRC, the last stats on it showed that 40% of college basketball players transfer.   It only feels worse at MU because the big state school down the road has so few.   

I never would have guessed 40%. That seems like a ton of turnover. I guess I just always worry there's something going on behind the scenes that could become a bigger issue when I see a kid leave.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2017, 12:49:22 PM »

Sponsored by Grebe's?

MU_Hoop

• Walk-On
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2017, 01:44:56 PM »

This is why I want to give him a long leash.  Let him build a program that we can at least be proud of off the court for the first time in a long while.  I would rather sit through 6-8 years of no post season if we get there eventually and can be proud of the product off the court.  I couldn't stand being happy that we won but be pissed when someone like Vander Blue hits a game winner.  I honestly hoped he would miss those shots he had his last year.  Everyone knows the dude got away with assaults both physical and sexual.  Could not cheer for him and was so glad he jumped ship.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2017, 01:51:01 PM »
This is why I want to give him a long leash.  Let him build a program that we can at least be proud of off the court for the first time in a long while.  I would rather sit through 6-8 years of no post season if we get there eventually and can be proud of the product off the court.  I couldn't stand being happy that we won but be pissed when someone like Vander Blue hits a game winner.  I honestly hoped he would miss those shots he had his last year.  Everyone knows the dude got away with assaults both physical and sexual.  Could not cheer for him and was so glad he jumped ship.

The physical assault was bad but fairly minor in the grand scheme of things. I don't think you have the facts right on the sexual assault.
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2017, 01:55:47 PM »
I think the problem may be is how concerned is the administration with on court results?? I'm not sure winning at a high level is all that important to them or the BOT. At least not like it used to be at MU.

I can assure you that it is an extremely high priority.  But it is not the only priority.  By that I mean the responsible 'student athlete' discussion we've had many times on this board.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2017, 01:57:48 PM »

Vander was not involved in the sexual assault issues.

But yeah, he punched a guy for calling him "Vander Orange."  He was given a municipal citation and paid a fine.  Like dozens of other Marquette students a year. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2017, 02:00:02 PM »

Wrong dude.  Vander got in a fight and was punished for it.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2017, 02:58:24 PM »
I would rather sit through 6-8 years of no post season if we get there eventually and can be proud of the product off the court.  I couldn't stand being happy that we won but be pissed when someone like Vander Blue hits a game winner.  I honestly hoped he would miss those shots he had his last year.  Everyone knows the dude got away with assaults both physical and sexual.  Could not cheer for him and was so glad he jumped ship.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2017, 03:49:44 PM »

I'll be the fifth guy to tell you that Vander wasn't involved in the sexual assault.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2017, 05:08:29 PM »
When a basketball player punches a student he's a thug, front page news and a reason to stop cheering

When a student punches a student he's Southside Irish, and a reason to do shots.

Dude punched a kid, in college.  BFD.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2017, 06:23:20 PM »
When a basketball player punches a student he's a thug, front page news and a reason to stop cheering

When a student punches a student he's Southside Irish, and a reason to do shots.

Dude punched a kid, in college.  BFD.

But this is where double standards really shine!