collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What Are You Watching in 2017  (Read 24045 times)

injuryBug

• Team Captain
Re: What Are You Watching in 2017
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
Currently watching The Get Down on Netflix.  There are currently two parts.

Its a fictionalized representation of the beginnings of Hip Hop in the Bronx in the lat 70s

Just finished The Get Down.  Thought it was pretty good.

Now watching 13 Reasons Why.  Got a notice it is popular with teens so thought I should check it out in case my kids watch it or want to.  Very interesting so far.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2017, 10:19:49 AM »
Im a big fan of the zombie genre and thought it got an awesome refresh with iZombie, so naturally I tried to get into The Santa Clarita Diet. But man, is that show absolutely grim. From a comedic standpoint its pretty funny but some of the scenes are just absolutely gruesome and hard to stomach.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2017, 12:28:54 PM »
Im a big fan of the zombie genre and thought it got an awesome refresh with iZombie, so naturally I tried to get into The Santa Clarita Diet. But man, is that show absolutely grim. From a comedic standpoint its pretty funny but some of the scenes are just absolutely gruesome and hard to stomach.

Watched the first 3 episodes, and agree with both aspects of your assessment.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2017, 12:38:39 PM »
Anyone watching Genius on Nat Geo?
Is it worth starting?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2017, 04:16:34 PM »
Anyone watching Genius on Nat Geo?
Is it worth starting?

Have it on DVR, going to watch the first episode tonight and I'll let you know.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
Ozark is pretty solid.  They may be trying too hard to have multiple sub plots (character motivations?) going but it's definitely entertaining and twisty. 

and bonus for anyone who has been to the Lake of the Ozarks......it totally captures the scene down there.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2017, 04:29:05 PM »

iZombie is a blast. Rose McIver is brilliant at shifting her personalities. Agreed that Santa Clarita is grim. My wife loves it, I thought it was funny but at times a bit much.

Big fan of Ozark. Jason Bateman was really good. It was reminiscent of Breaking Bad, but action wise like jumping into season 3.

Just watched Defenders after binging the five Netflix Marvel seasons beforehand. The 8 episode format was nice. Didn't get bogged down in the middle like Luke Cage and Iron First did. After further review, Jessica Jones was the best season. Krysten Ritter was perfectly sardonic and David Tennant was my favorite Marvel on screen villain in any format so far. Daredevil season 2 was next best, largely because of Frank Castle. Can't wait for Punisher.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2017, 05:17:25 PM »
iZombie is a blast. Rose McIver is brilliant at shifting her personalities. Agreed that Santa Clarita is grim. My wife loves it, I thought it was funny but at times a bit much.

Big fan of Ozark. Jason Bateman was really good. It was reminiscent of Breaking Bad, but action wise like jumping into season 3.

Just watched Defenders after binging the five Netflix Marvel seasons beforehand. The 8 episode format was nice. Didn't get bogged down in the middle like Luke Cage and Iron First did. After further review, Jessica Jones was the best season. Krysten Ritter was perfectly sardonic and David Tennant was my favorite Marvel on screen villain in any format so far. Daredevil season 2 was next best, largely because of Frank Castle. Can't wait for Punisher.

Agreed that Daredevil Season 2 and Jessica Jones were the best seasons....though I love Fisk as a villain. They did a brilliant job interpreting him from the comics to the small screen. I liked Luke Cage a lot more than most people did but was just as disappointed by Iron Fist. Haven't watched Defenders yet but will be doing it soon.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2017, 05:43:59 PM »
D'Onofrio was excellent as Kingpin. Really hoping they are building to the Frank Miller Born Again storyline for DD Season 3. That would give us another look at Fisk at his diabolic worst.

As far as Defenders, Danny Rand was the most improved character. In his series, IF was so impetuous and immature. He grows a lot by the end of Defenders and I do think IF2 stands to be much better. Despite how disappointing it was I think there's a lot of upside going forward.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2017, 09:43:52 AM »
The Vietnam War: A film by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick

So far a very well done documentary - unbiased presentation of motives and rationale on all sides/perspectives.  Watch it with an open mind and it's a good tool to use when viewing others with differing positions on todays issues (many of which are exactly the same as those 50 - 60 yrs ago).

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2017, 10:28:09 AM »
Rick and Morty Season 3 did not disappoint.

Pickle Rick was probably one of the greatest animated feats any artist has ever accomplished.

Ricklantis Mixup is probably going to win an Emmy.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:41:38 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2017, 11:14:25 AM »
American Vandal is just fantastic.  One of the funniest things I have seen in years.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2017, 01:00:24 PM »
Rick and Morty Season 3 did not disappoint.

Pickle Rick was probably one of the greatest animated feats any artist has every accomplished.

Ricklantis Mixup is probably going to win an Emmy.

+1

tower912

• All American
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2017, 01:16:12 PM »
Enjoyed last night's Star Trek Discovery enough to be pissed the only way to see more episodes is by streaming.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2017, 04:07:16 PM »
Enjoyed last night's Star Trek Discovery enough to be pissed the only way to see more episodes is by streaming.

I have it on DVR and debating whether I watch it or not. If I do and I like it I'm going to be really pissed I can't watch it. There is no way I'm paying for a CBS streaming service just to watch Star Trek.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2017, 07:45:56 PM »
LivePD
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2017, 08:01:20 PM »
Transparent.

The characters are fascinating.  Seriously, Jeffrey Tambor is the most boring person on the show.

Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2017, 08:14:42 PM »
Don't think it's technically 2017 but SyFy just ran the first season of ConMan which is a hilarious send up of Sci-fi actors and Con culture

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2017, 05:04:44 AM »
season premiere of young sheldon-pretty funny, throwback to when sheldon was, umm, growing up.  jim parsons narrates starting when he was about 12.  if you are a bang theory fan, this should entertain. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2017, 12:23:44 PM »
American Vandal is just fantastic.  One of the funniest things I have seen in years.
Seconded.  If you like serial and making a murderer, and have a sense of humor.  This is awesome. 
Also kind of reminds me of the movie Election.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2017, 08:57:59 AM »
season premiere of young sheldon-pretty funny, throwback to when sheldon was, umm, growing up.  jim parsons narrates starting when he was about 12.  if you are a bang theory fan, this should entertain.

On broadcast networks, I like The Good Place.  Besides being pretty funny, gives you some food for thought now and then about what makes a person good.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2017, 04:43:31 PM »
On broadcast networks, I like The Good Place.  Besides being pretty funny, gives you some food for thought now and then about what makes a person good.
My wife and I binged the first season about a week ago. Entertaining and thoughtful. Though it helps that I've been a Kristen Bell fan since her Veronica Mars days.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2017, 11:01:07 PM »
Ozark is pretty solid.  They may be trying too hard to have multiple sub plots (character motivations?) going but it's definitely entertaining and twisty. 

and bonus for anyone who has been to the Lake of the Ozarks......it totally captures the scene down there.

Just finished the season finale of Ozark. Holy crap. That might have been the most intense 75 minutes of television I have ever seen.

Highly recommend it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2017, 10:03:08 AM »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2017, 06:19:04 PM »
The Gifted on Fox has been very good. A few recognizable names for X-Men fans (Polaris, Blink, Thunderbird, among others), good special effects and acting, and so far a good storyline.

Definitely light years ahead of Inhumans.

feedback