[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA '17  (Read 241851 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: NBA '17
« Reply #1325 on: May 22, 2018, 11:33:29 AM »
Complaining about this indicates far too much time on your hands.    Holy first world issue. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1326 on: May 22, 2018, 12:32:16 PM »
I read it as "arrogant" which HOW DARE the best pure shooter in NBA history, who routinely hits circus shots against tight defense in huge game moments, act in such a way.  He should make such shots and quietly walk back to the bench, but not dare refuse any slaps of five.

I agree completely. We must NOT let our athletes become entertainers. Sports is serious business and we need to teach our kids this every day. Do not have fun!!

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1327 on: May 22, 2018, 12:36:10 PM »
Sterling Brown is suing the Milwaukee Police. Video will be released soon, but early reports indicate it was an unprovoked assault by police.

I had thought he was just another thug like Henson :-\

Gonna be hard to get guys to come here if they are unable to go out in public.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1328 on: May 22, 2018, 01:56:50 PM »
Yeah butt, den don't park in a handicap spot without a permit, hey?

#bringit
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1329 on: May 22, 2018, 03:14:08 PM »
The NBA stays interesting when guys start crap as long as it isn't injuring people. Can't stand Draymond but he adds an electricity with his attitude and swagger. Love to hate him. Other fun ones are Embiid for his incessant s*** talking, constant player subtweeting with the KAT Thibs drama, etc. Keeps it fresh when the end result of the season seems fairly predetermined at this point.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1330 on: May 22, 2018, 08:52:20 PM »
I thought it was awesome.  Dude can ball.  And James Harden is a joke.  Plays defense like an old man at the Y.

That dunk on Draymond though...

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1331 on: May 22, 2018, 10:37:50 PM »
Marv's gotta go. Ideally before the next game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1332 on: May 23, 2018, 09:17:22 AM »
That was a rough final few minutes last night.

Both teams kept jacking up 3s.

Even Reggie Miller - who played a little hero ball in his day - was yelling at the Warriors to take advantage of Houston's "no-3" defense and drive to the hoop.

For the Rockets, either Paul or Harden would dribble the shot clock down to 2 and fire up a shot that had little chance to go in.

So the NBA finally got a close playoff game but the end was painful to watch.

Glad the Rockets won, though. I don't really care who wins the series, but I'd love to see a Game 7.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1333 on: May 24, 2018, 09:12:34 AM »
LeBron was not good last night.

Not awful, not the worst I've seen or anything hyperbolic like that, just not good enough, not anywhere near as good as he usually is in such situations. He was careless with the ball, he made poor decisions, he phoned in a few possessions, he willingly took a back seat to the likes of Clarkson and Nance, and he seemed fatigued.

I am a huge LeBron fan, and I like to talk about all the great things he does on the court, so I'd better be willing to admit when the opposite is true. It was true last night.

I'm not sure if that mediocre Cavs team wins last night even with LeBron playing his A+ game ... but they probably do. The Celtics certainly were beatable.

I actually looked up Michael's playoff games over the years, and he definitely had worse games statistically than LeBron had last night. But I couldn't find a worse performance in such a meaningful playoff game - Game 5 of a 2-2 series or later.

I like to say LeBron is the second-best player I've seen - which is still true - and that he's "gaining fast." He didn't gain last night.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1334 on: May 24, 2018, 11:47:04 AM »
LeBron was not good last night.

Not awful, not the worst I've seen or anything hyperbolic like that, just not good enough, not anywhere near as good as he usually is in such situations. He was careless with the ball, he made poor decisions, he phoned in a few possessions, he willingly took a back seat to the likes of Clarkson and Nance, and he seemed fatigued.

I am a huge LeBron fan, and I like to talk about all the great things he does on the court, so I'd better be willing to admit when the opposite is true. It was true last night.

I'm not sure if that mediocre Cavs team wins last night even with LeBron playing his A+ game ... but they probably do. The Celtics certainly were beatable.

I actually looked up Michael's playoff games over the years, and he definitely had worse games statistically than LeBron had last night. But I couldn't find a worse performance in such a meaningful playoff game - Game 5 of a 2-2 series or later.

I like to say LeBron is the second-best player I've seen - which is still true - and that he's "gaining fast." He didn't gain last night.

I've said it before.  As mediocre as the Cavs are, they have far more talent than the Celtics.  That is why the Cavs have been favored to win every game of this series. 

Lebron and Love are better than anyone on the Celtics.  The Celtics though have a great coach...the Cavs do not.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1335 on: May 24, 2018, 12:25:21 PM »
I've said it before.  As mediocre as the Cavs are, they have far more talent than the Celtics.  That is why the Cavs have been favored to win every game of this series. 

Lebron and Love are better than anyone on the Celtics.  The Celtics though have a great coach...the Cavs do not.

Aside from LeBron and Love, the Celtics are better up and down the roster. Cleveland has no equivalent of, say, Smart - a tough guy who does everything necessary to win. But yes, LeBron and Love should be enough. And yes, Lue is in over his head.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1336 on: May 24, 2018, 12:47:59 PM »
Aside from LeBron and Love, the Celtics are better up and down the roster. Cleveland has no equivalent of, say, Smart - a tough guy who does everything necessary to win. But yes, LeBron and Love should be enough. And yes, Lue is in over his head.

Respectfully disagree - George Hill is a big PG that can defend (he has been significantly better than Smart his entire career, what happened when he got to the Cavs?), Korver is the #6 3P% shooter of all time in an era where that is placed at a premium for floor spacing, JR Smith has proven capable in big moments, etc.

If LeBron is truly the 2nd greatest of all time, with a player by his side that is better than anyone on the opposition, he should be cleaning up against this Celtics team missing Kyrie, just like a Pacers team with Oladipo as the best player never should have taken them to 7. I just really can't stand the "LeBron's teammates suck" trope.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1337 on: May 24, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »

Kevin Love, right now, is not better than Tatum , and might not be better than Brown (I would call Brown/Love equal). He is past his prime, and does not play defense. Tatum plays both ends of the court.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1338 on: May 24, 2018, 09:18:33 PM »
Respectfully disagree - George Hill is a big PG that can defend (he has been significantly better than Smart his entire career, what happened when he got to the Cavs?), Korver is the #6 3P% shooter of all time in an era where that is placed at a premium for floor spacing, JR Smith has proven capable in big moments, etc.

If LeBron is truly the 2nd greatest of all time, with a player by his side that is better than anyone on the opposition, he should be cleaning up against this Celtics team missing Kyrie, just like a Pacers team with Oladipo as the best player never should have taken them to 7. I just really can't stand the "LeBron's teammates suck" trope.

We'll agree to disagree on some of this stuff.

I don't know what happened to Hill, but I'd take Smart over him in a heartbeat. Korver and Smith are role players. Teams need role players, but neither should be playing 35+ mpg.

I have already said that LeBron and Love should be enough to win this series. I also said he played poorly (for him) last night. Really seemed tired to me, which is highly unusual. Will be interesting to see him tomorrow in Cleveland.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1339 on: May 24, 2018, 09:28:33 PM »

They absolutely suck. I would venture to say that not one of them will ever see an all-star game in the future unless they buy a ticket.

I would take Tatum, Brown, or Horford before I would take any Cav other than Lebrun.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1340 on: May 24, 2018, 09:30:24 PM »

The Cavs do not have "far more talent than the Celtics."  Celtics have a bunch of talent, while the Cavs have LBJ, Love and....not much else. 

I mean George Hill is decent, but there is no one on the Celtics starting five that I would choose Hill over.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1341 on: May 25, 2018, 08:51:43 AM »
They absolutely suck. I would venture to say that not one of them will ever see an all-star game in the future unless they buy a ticket.

I would take Tatum, Brown, or Horford before I would take any Cav other than Lebrun.

Love, when shooting well from outside, is an All-Star caliber player on the strength of his offense and rebounding. When he has one of his "disappearing act" games, he is a liability.

So I'd take "Hot Love" over those players for one game today, but I'd take any of those players over "Disappearing Love." Unfortunately for the Cavs, they never know which Love they'll get.

The rest of the team ... even the functional ones are just mid-level (at best) role players - Korver, Smith, Thompson, Nance, Clarkson, Green, Hill, Hood.

One could make a very good argument that it's LeBron's "fault" that the Cavs are him, Love and a bunch of role players. But it's still a fact.

Having said that, I'm very impressed with Stevens' coaching. The Celtics have some talent, but they are missing their two cornerstones, and they're one win from the Finals.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1342 on: May 25, 2018, 09:09:56 AM »
I really can't figure out what the Warriors have been doing the last couple games.  Their offense has just gone to sh*t with a lot of slow down and isolation stuff.  For as much as I love the NBA, these conference finals have been hard to watch.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1343 on: May 25, 2018, 10:03:47 AM »
Here's something interesting.

The gambling site bovada just updated their odds to win the NBA title ... and despite last night's results, the Warriors are still even-money favorites while the Rockets are 8/5.

Boston is 8/1 and the Cavs 12/1.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1344 on: May 25, 2018, 10:50:04 AM »

Smart is not a good player.  The Cavs have good players. 

The difference is Stevens designs game plans to put his players in positions they can succeed.  The focus is on designing around each players limitations and helping them avoid mistakes/maximize benefit.

Lue has no game plan.  Does not game plan for his talent, so they look far more mediocre than they are and are not being used as they should.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1345 on: May 25, 2018, 11:41:34 AM »
I really can't figure out what the Warriors have been doing the last couple games.  Their offense has just gone to sh*t with a lot of slow down and isolation stuff.  For as much as I love the NBA, these conference finals have been hard to watch.

Agreed.  But I don't even think the Rockets look particularly great either.  Both teams are missing open jumpers, somewhat contested but still very makeable shots at the rim, turning the ball over due to simple carelessness or getting moving too fast, etc.  I was really looking forward to these Conference Finals, but the Cavs/C's series has just been one blowout after another and the Rockets/Warriors just take turns switching off between ugly basketball and making runs.

Now CP3 is out for Game 6.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1346 on: May 25, 2018, 11:55:24 AM »
Love, when shooting well from outside, is an All-Star caliber player on the strength of his offense and rebounding. When he has one of his "disappearing act" games, he is a liability.

So I'd take "Hot Love" over those players for one game today, but I'd take any of those players over "Disappearing Love." Unfortunately for the Cavs, they never know which Love they'll get.

The rest of the team ... even the functional ones are just mid-level (at best) role players - Korver, Smith, Thompson, Nance, Clarkson, Green, Hill, Hood.

One could make a very good argument that it's LeBron's "fault" that the Cavs are him, Love and a bunch of role players. But it's still a fact.

Having said that, I'm very impressed with Stevens' coaching. The Celtics have some talent, but they are missing their two cornerstones, and they're one win from the Finals.

All good points. I have no affinity for the Celtics whatsoever, but am rooting for them now just because it would be an insane coaching job to pull off a title at this point in the roster development

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1347 on: May 25, 2018, 12:12:58 PM »
I've never really understood all the love for Stevens.  I don't think he's bad, but I don't think he's great either.  I realize that he's missing his two superstar players, but out coaching Joe Prunty and Ty Lue isn't exactly noteworthy, and Philly threw away a couple of games, and couldn't close others which isn't at all surprising given their youth.  If Bud can get the most out of Giannis, and Brett Brown continues to develop Simmons, Embiid, and/or Fultz, I'd be surprised if anyone other than Milwaukee or Philly comes out of the East for the next 2-3 years. Again, not saying that he's bad, but I would give just as much credit, if not more to Danny Ainge.   

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1348 on: May 25, 2018, 12:25:29 PM »
I've never really understood all the love for Stevens.  I don't think he's bad, but I don't think he's great either.  I realize that he's missing his two superstar players, but out coaching Joe Prunty and Ty Lue isn't exactly noteworthy, and Philly threw away a couple of games, and couldn't close others which isn't at all surprising given their youth.  If Bud can get the most out of Giannis, and Brett Brown continues to develop Simmons, Embiid, and/or Fultz, I'd be surprised if anyone other than Milwaukee or Philly comes out of the East for the next 2-3 years. Again, not saying that he's bad, but I would give just as much credit, if not more to Danny Ainge.   

Ainge certainly deserves a lot. Trading back to pick up Taytum, who they had rated #1 anyway, over Fultz and Ball was a brilliant capper on a series of very good moves over several years (one of which was hiring Stevens)

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1349 on: May 25, 2018, 01:27:04 PM »
Watch the games closely. Both his set plays and plays after time out always seem to put the right players in the right position.  He is a damn good coach. Unlike Kerr who just seems to roll the ball out there. Golden State plays "sloppy", while Boston seems to play much more disciplined.