[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA '17  (Read 242140 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: NBA '17
« Reply #1275 on: May 09, 2018, 09:58:40 PM »
Does anybody really think LBJ couldn’t make $6M for charities doing absolutely anything? He could sell his chewed gum after every game for a year and make $6M for charities.

But sure. The Decision was a great look. As was the much matured Instagram pose a couple months ago congratulating himself on something he hadn’t even accomplished yet.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1276 on: May 09, 2018, 10:53:17 PM »
Also love a guy who has played 94 career basketball games in 4 seasons in the NBA constantly chirping but as soon as the series is over he exits the court without a single word to his opponent.  Adios!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 10:57:00 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1277 on: May 09, 2018, 10:55:32 PM »
The decision was corny and slightly immature but as was stated all money went to charity and I don't know how anyone could have an issue with it.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1278 on: May 10, 2018, 12:06:37 AM »
Lebron and Durant had a perfect storm that allowed them to join superteams.  They merely seized the opportunity.  I don't get the hate some people have for that.  Fans expect great players to win rings but then complain in the matter in which they're won?  Because they violated some sort of unwritten rules?  I can't think of another field where people can play within the rules, succeed, and be criticized for their success.

But enough of my soapbox rant.  Let's look at the circumstances that lead to the right environment for these opportunities.

1) Max Contracts

Max contracts make the best superstars underpaid.  Instead of stars dispersing across the league, they cluster on superteams.  Instead of players balancing winning potential with earning potential in free agency, they only factor winning because the per year money is virtually the same no matter where they sign.  It's also easier for a player to take less money when the perspective is "I'm only missing out on$2 million per year below the max" than "I'm missing out on $10 million plus per year."

Plus, teams can actually afford 2 superstars and another 1-2 all stars instead of having to choose between spending the balance of cap space on stars or aiming for a more well rounded roster.  Now they can have a well rounded roster loaded with stars!

2) Soft Salary Cap

Teams work the loopholes of a soft salary cap to add new talent through cap space, then later re-sign talent by going over the cap, and then continue to add more talent through the MLE.  Golden State is perfect example, adding Durant with cap space and then still being able to sign Curry to a huge contract.  Miami added Ray Allen with the MLE.  There are very few repercussions to forming a superteam.  As long as the owner is willing to pay what it takes, they can keep the team together and still add to it.

3) The 2003 Draft

Lebron had incredible luck to be hitting free agency at exactly the same time as Bosh and Wade.  Teams cleared cap space to make a run at signing not just one, but two or three superstars.  A lot of teams were hoping to put together a super team through free agency.  What did everyone think was going to happen?  That the players would say, "Nah, we don't wanna team up" because Jordan didn't do it that way?  Well, Karl Malone tried it when he joined the Lakers late in his career.  He just failed.

4) Cleveland wins the lottery three times after Lebron left and had cap space to re-sign him

Lebron Superteam #2.  The Cavs landed an all star (Kyrie), a good player that they traded for an all-star (Wiggins for Love), and a bust (Bennett, whom was also in the Love trade) with those three #1 overall picks.  They had cap space when Lebron happened to hit free agency again and voila!  You have a superteam.

5) The Harden trade

OKC didn't want to pay the luxury tax so they broke up the superteam.  Without the Harden trade, it's possible Durant never leaves.  Plus, OKC traded the wrong guy.  I would've traded Westbrook and I said it at the time.

6)  Curry's bargain contract

Curry was signed to a 4 year, $44 million contract and then became a top 6 player out of nowhere.  So GS had cap space to add Durant, even though they had to re-up Thompson and Green to big extensions.

7) Exploding salary cap due to TV rights

As the NBA TV rights became worth much more, the timing of a large salary cap increase worked out perfectly for Durant and GS.

8) Golden State drafting Curry #7, Thompson #11, and Green #35 in a four year span.

Pretty remarkable stretch of drafting.  Even Barnes was solid as the #8 pick in the same draft as Green.  And the highest pick they had in the stretch was #6 when they took Ekpe Udoh the year between Curry and Thompson.  Meanwhile, Gordon Hayward went 9 and Paul George went 10 in that draft.  I guess you can't get them all right, not even Golden State.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1279 on: May 10, 2018, 07:15:57 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the whole "Lebron built the team he wanted but loses" argument. Lebron is not playing with Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, Karl Anthony-Towns, etc. Yes he dictated a say in what players he is currently playing with but lets not pretend his current lineup is his ideal lineup.

Ty Lue and his horrible overmatched coaching is a direct result of Lebron power plays.  The recent Cavs iterations of mismatched pieces are cause of a variety of Lebron influenced factors related to perceived fit, passive aggressiveness, and expectations.  Many of the new pieces are just worse versions of players that got ran out.

Lets also not forget the Cavs are limited in what they could do cause Lebron made sure his guys TT and JR got paid absurd salaries for being average NBA talent.  Part of the reason great teams stay great for awhile is cause they find value and build intelligently around their star/stars.  Not jettison role players for worse or more expensive role players whenever their star says "go!" cause they are worried about him leaving.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1280 on: May 10, 2018, 09:48:39 AM »
Ty Lue and his horrible overmatched coaching is a direct result of Lebron power plays.  The recent Cavs iterations of mismatched pieces are cause of a variety of Lebron influenced factors related to perceived fit, passive aggressiveness, and expectations.  Many of the new pieces are just worse versions of players that got ran out.

Lets also not forget the Cavs are limited in what they could do cause Lebron made sure his guys TT and JR got paid absurd salaries for being average NBA talent.  Part of the reason great teams stay great for awhile is cause they find value and build intelligently around their star/stars.  Not jettison role players for worse or more expensive role players whenever their star says "go!" cause they are worried about him leaving.

Yet they have been to three straight NBA Championships, winning one of them.  And they will likely be to a fourth.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1281 on: May 10, 2018, 10:06:59 AM »
Also love a guy who has played 94 career basketball games in 4 seasons in the NBA constantly chirping but as soon as the series is over he exits the court without a single word to his opponent.  Adios!

I'm not sure your point .... is there some sort of handshake line tradition he violated? Since when did players become obligated to remain on the court to congratulate the winning team?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1282 on: May 10, 2018, 10:11:33 AM »

The Cavs are likely headed for a fourth straight finals because LeBron pulled a power play before the trade deadline and got management to blow up the mismatched roster they created in the offseason. Thomas, Crowder, Rose, etc. were terrible fits in Cleveland and the team was going nowhere with them.

Beyond that, who are some of the valuable role players LeBron has had jettisoned for worse and more expensive role players?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1283 on: May 10, 2018, 10:36:41 AM »
This is the exact LeBron discussion I can't stand. If he wins, it's wow, LeBron is amazing! I can't believe he won with teammates that bad! If he loses, it's golly willikers, his teammates blow, I can't believe he got them that far.

There has never been this storyline with another player ever.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1284 on: May 10, 2018, 11:14:25 AM »

If memory serves me correctly, LeBron also benefitted financially from those contracts as I think they were negotiated with an agency he has equity in.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1285 on: May 10, 2018, 11:18:40 AM »
So Dwane Casey is named coach of the year but still may get fired.  And Brad Stevens receives no votes.

Probably time to find a different body to vote for this than the current NBA coaches.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1286 on: May 10, 2018, 11:30:12 AM »
So Dwane Casey is named coach of the year but still may get fired.  And Brad Stevens receives no votes.

Probably time to find a different body to vote for this than the current NBA coaches.

Stevens is a great coach, perhaps the best in the league, and yet I feel he's getting massively overrated this postseason.
Losing Irving and Hayward is a big blow, for sure, but that's still a really talented roster he's working with. Horford is a five-time all-star. Brown and Tatum are both #3 overall picks. Smart was the 6th overall. Morris was a lottery pick. Rozier was drafted just outside the lottery.
This isn't the Island of Misfit Toys. It's a very good group of players, with more overall talent than the two teams they just beat.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:48:55 AM by Pakuni »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1287 on: May 10, 2018, 11:47:51 AM »
If memory serves me correctly, LeBron also benefitted financially from those contracts as I think they were negotiated with an agency he has equity in.

Memory doesn't serve you correctly.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1288 on: May 10, 2018, 12:50:07 PM »
Stevens is a great coach, perhaps the best in the league, and yet I feel he's getting massively overrated this postseason.
Losing Irving and Hayward is a big blow, for sure, but that's still a really talented roster he's working with. Horford is a five-time all-star. Brown and Tatum are both #3 overall picks. Smart was the 6th overall. Morris was a lottery pick. Rozier was drafted just outside the lottery.
This isn't the Island of Misfit Toys. It's a very good group of players, with more overall talent than the two teams they just beat.

The highest PER on the entire roster right now is:  17.63.  The roster is made up entirely of role players. 

Saying where players are drafted doesn't make them good NBA players.  That would suggest that Parker and Maker are both very good players, and that the Bucks roster (Maker, Parker, Bledsoe, Giannis, Henson, Muhammed (all lottery picks)) was absurdly talented.

I don't think any coach in the NBA would have made the finals with the same roster.

There is a reason the Cavs are favored to win the series; it is because the Celtics look more like a lottery team right now than a playoff team.

The Bucks and Sixers both have more talent than the current Celtic roster. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1289 on: May 10, 2018, 01:02:34 PM »
The highest PER on the entire roster right now is:  17.63.  The roster is made up entirely of role players. 

Saying where players are drafted doesn't make them good NBA players.  That would suggest that Parker and Maker are both very good players, and that the Bucks roster (Maker, Parker, Bledsoe, Giannis, Henson, Muhammed (all lottery picks)) was absurdly talented.

I don't think any coach in the NBA would have made the finals with the same roster.

There is a reason the Cavs are favored to win the series; it is because the Celtics look more like a lottery team right now than a playoff team.

The Bucks and Sixers both have more talent than the current Celtic roster. 

Right.  Their top two players going into the season aren't playing right now either. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1290 on: May 10, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »
The Cavs are likely headed for a fourth straight finals because LeBron pulled a power play before the trade deadline and got management to blow up the mismatched roster they created in the offseason. Thomas, Crowder, Rose, etc. were terrible fits in Cleveland and the team was going nowhere with them.

Beyond that, who are some of the valuable role players LeBron has had jettisoned for worse and more expensive role players?

That team was good enough to win 15 of 17 or whatever it was early in the season.  Adding players like Wade, or Rose or Deron Williams in the past, as opposed to trying to develop and work with any young talent, is just Bron wanting to play with "his guys".

They chose not to pay Delladova and have cycled through mediocre guards since.  Shumpert isnt a world beater but was coming off of one of his more efficient years in awhile.  George Hill's contract is horrific.  They have almost $60MM a year tied up in Hill, Thompson, JR, and Korver.  Not even bringing in new expensive players always, but overpaying for guys Lebron is "comfortable" with.

I just dont know how people can blame the roster for holding him back and absolve him wanting to construct things like its NBA 2K.  And thats saying nothing for Kyrie wanting out which was conveniently spun into "wanting his own team" yet not going somewhere in which he would be alpha without question.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1291 on: May 10, 2018, 03:20:20 PM »

Respectfully,your response is littered with bad takes.
In most years, Jayson Tatum is your runaway rookie of the year. Horford was an all-star this year and has a .9 VORP in the playoffs (Giannis was a .6, for comparison's sake). Brown is blossoming. These are not role players.

Saying where players are drafted doesn't make them good NBA players.
True. But it is indicative of the level of talent Stevens is working with. Contrary to the narrative (and a certain terrible opinion that this looks like a lottery team), the Celtics are loaded with talented players. Proven, talented players.

No, it is because LeBron plays for the Cavs.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #1292 on: May 11, 2018, 11:27:08 AM »
Dwane Casey fired - wow.  He should have a new gig before the weekend is over.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1293 on: May 11, 2018, 11:30:29 AM »
Really?  Because I think he's not all that good of a coach frankly.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1294 on: May 11, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »
Dwane Casey fired - wow.  He should have a new gig before the weekend is over.

Why? He got absolutely smoked and refused to change defenses in the face of a scheme that was torching it. Zero creativity. Has underperformed in the playoffs for years. Watch Stevens design several defenses to disrupt LeBron.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1295 on: May 11, 2018, 11:38:44 AM »
When you have Demar DeRegularSeason and Kyle Lowry as your stars, you already have one foot in the grave.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1296 on: May 11, 2018, 01:41:26 PM »
Dwane Casey to the Bucks.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1297 on: May 12, 2018, 08:45:42 AM »
That team was good enough to win 15 of 17 or whatever it was early in the season.  Adding players like Wade, or Rose or Deron Williams in the past, as opposed to trying to develop and work with any young talent, is just Bron wanting to play with "his guys".

They chose not to pay Delladova and have cycled through mediocre guards since.  Shumpert isnt a world beater but was coming off of one of his more efficient years in awhile.  George Hill's contract is horrific.  They have almost $60MM a year tied up in Hill, Thompson, JR, and Korver.  Not even bringing in new expensive players always, but overpaying for guys Lebron is "comfortable" with.

I just dont know how people can blame the roster for holding him back and absolve him wanting to construct things like its NBA 2K.  And thats saying nothing for Kyrie wanting out which was conveniently spun into "wanting his own team" yet not going somewhere in which he would be alpha without question.

I don't know which "people" you are referring to. I have acknowledged LeBron's shortcomings as a "GM" and "coach." I also have acknowledged his role in teams that have been to 7 straight Finals (soon to be 8) and that have won 3 titles.

He is the best player on the planet, and the second-best in history, IMHO. And yes, "The Decision" was idiotic, as was him congratulating himself for reaching (or almost reaching) "milestones."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1298 on: May 12, 2018, 11:52:07 AM »
Dwane Casey ... even if he is a very good coach, this happens fairly often in sports.

Classic example was Doug Collins, who got the Bulls to Point A but they were convinced he couldn't get them to Point B. So out he went, despite a solid resume, and in came Phil Jackson, who to that point had accomplished nothing.

Call it a different "voice" in the locker room, change for the sake of change, or whatever ... sometimes it works. Of course, sometimes it doesn't.

It will be interesting (to me, anyway) to see what direction the Raptors go. They do have talent.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1299 on: May 12, 2018, 01:11:26 PM »
I don't know which "people" you are referring to. I have acknowledged LeBron's shortcomings as a "GM" and "coach." I also have acknowledged his role in teams that have been to 7 straight Finals (soon to be 8) and that have won 3 titles.

He is the best player on the planet, and the second-best in history, IMHO. And yes, "The Decision" was idiotic, as was him congratulating himself for reaching (or almost reaching) "milestones."

Collective Lebron fans, on twitter, in my friend group, etc...

As for your second point, despite my usual distaste for him, I feel exactly the same. He’s an absolute freak of nature and an incredible baller, but has any number of tendencies, habits, and elements of his persona I can’t stand. And that’s fine.