[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA '17  (Read 239335 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: NBA '17
« Reply #975 on: February 25, 2018, 01:07:39 PM »
That might be the best case scenario given  I was seeing the analysis by some former team doctors that the way he went down looked like a typical ACL.

Best case is he's back for the 2nd round of the playoffs, if they make it.

Still a big blow for MN and Jimmy

Injury absolutely sucks for all involved, major bummer.

For all the noise about Jimmy and his exit from Chicago and other things, he still remains one of the good guys in the league.  There is some PR around it sure, but from people I knew that had interactions with him on the Bulls and others, this sort of thing is definitely his character...

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2018/2/25/17050242/jimmy-butler-make-a-wish-fan-24-hours-after-tearing-meniscus

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #976 on: March 08, 2018, 09:38:37 AM »
When all is said and done, will Russell Westbrook have run off 3 future MVPs while they were either in their prime (KD) or on their way to their prime but already showing signs of potential greatness (Harden and Oladipo)?

I always used to say the Thunder should trade Westbrook for Rondo when they had Westbrook, KD, and Harden.  Westbrook is an unbelievable talent who looks out for one thing...his stat sheet.  Rondo in his prime was so much fun to watch.  Not only offensively but defensively.

KD obviously went on to win an MVP, Harden will win his MVP this year, Russ already has an MVP.  Could Oladipo win an MVP someday?  Probably doubtful, but if he improves his 3 point shooting a bit, look out.  He is legit.

PS Sabonis is going to be really good for the Pacers for a long time too.  The Pacers are a fun team.  Unlike the Bucks who just add athleticism and length without any concern for how the pieces fit, they are a well constructed team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #977 on: March 08, 2018, 10:19:23 AM »
When all is said and done, will Russell Westbrook have run off 3 future MVPs while they were either in their prime (KD) or on their way to their prime but already showing signs of potential greatness (Harden and Oladipo)?

I always used to say the Thunder should trade Westbrook for Rondo when they had Westbrook, KD, and Harden.  Westbrook is an unbelievable talent who looks out for one thing...his stat sheet.  Rondo in his prime was so much fun to watch.  Not only offensively but defensively.

I think Rondo could have been an all time great if he wasn't such a difficult personality to mesh with.

Westbrook has to be infuriating for Thunder fans to watch now that he has a good team again.  He's an incredibly dynamic athlete and player, but seeing him go "Russ mode" late in games and kill them, when you have Paul George on the wing, is brutal.  Westbrook shoots under 30% from 3, yet still takes almost 20% of his teams attempts from outside.

Funny that he plays with Melo now, cause they are destined to be similar stars.  Different games, but putting up gaudy numbers on bad teams.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #978 on: March 08, 2018, 05:19:05 PM »
So Rose and Butler on the same team ended in disaster the first time around so Minnesota decides to give it another go? Strange signing, can't see how this works out as Rose isn't even a mediocre point guard at this point in his career.

Talk about NBA surprises though, the Pelicans on a 10 game win streak even without Cousins. Who woulda guessed that?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #979 on: March 09, 2018, 09:46:08 AM »

KD obviously went on to win an MVP, Harden will win his MVP this year, Russ already has an MVP.  Could Oladipo win an MVP someday? Probably doubtful, but if he improves his 3 point shooting a bit, look out.  He is legit.

PS Sabonis is going to be really good for the Pacers for a long time too.  The Pacers are a fun team.  Unlike the Bucks who just add athleticism and length without any concern for how the pieces fit, they are a well constructed team.

If D-Wade never got an MVP, no way in hell Oladipo gets one

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #980 on: March 09, 2018, 10:37:39 AM »
So Rose and Butler on the same team ended in disaster the first time around so Minnesota decides to give it another go? Strange signing, can't see how this works out as Rose isn't even a mediocre point guard at this point in his career.

Rose's NBA future rests entirely on his willingness to accept the fact that he's no longer 2011 Derrick Rose and adjust his game accordingly. He can be a solid back-up PG for 4-6 more years but only if he accepts that reality. The "disaster" with Jimmy had a lot to do with Rose no longer being the alpha and everyone knowing it but him.

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #981 on: March 09, 2018, 01:55:32 PM »
Rose's NBA future rests entirely on his willingness to accept the fact that he's no longer 2011 Derrick Rose and adjust his game accordingly. He can be a solid back-up PG for 4-6 more years but only if he accepts that reality. The "disaster" with Jimmy had a lot to do with Rose no longer being the alpha and everyone knowing it but him.

The sign of a TRUE alpha

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #982 on: March 09, 2018, 01:57:57 PM »
If D-Wade never got an MVP, no way in hell Oladipo gets one

Oladipo is a perennial all-star talent but yeah wouldn't say he gets to that level of elite.

Also I'll never forgive him for losing to Cuse to give us a terrible matchup in the Elite 8...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #983 on: March 22, 2018, 08:14:05 AM »
Dwight Howard, who very quietly has had a renaissance season for the crappy Hornets, had 32 points and 30 rebounds last night.

The last to go 30/30 had been Kevin Love in 2010, and before that Moses Malone in 1982.

In reading the account of the game, here's the little factoid that grabbed me:

It was the 132nd time in NBA history the feat has been accomplished. Wilt Chamberlain did it 103 times.

Think about that for a second. In the NBA's 70-year history, Chamberlain had 78% of those 30/30 performances.

I have old-timer friends who insist that Chamberlain, not Jordan, was the greatest basketball player ever. Statistically, anyway, it's not all that difficult a case to make. I mean, the man led the league in assists one year!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #984 on: March 22, 2018, 08:23:14 AM »
And Howard didn't even have the most impressive performance of the night.  Lebron had 35/7/17 with zero turnovers versus an actual NBA team.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #985 on: March 22, 2018, 09:08:44 AM »
Dwight Howard, who very quietly has had a renaissance season for the crappy Hornets, had 32 points and 30 rebounds last night.

The last to go 30/30 had been Kevin Love in 2010, and before that Moses Malone in 1982.

In reading the account of the game, here's the little factoid that grabbed me:

It was the 132nd time in NBA history the feat has been accomplished. Wilt Chamberlain did it 103 times.

Slightly OT:

https://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/30/malcolm-gladwell-wilt-chamberlain-rick-barry-nba-free-throw-granny-shot

Read this. I find Gladwell's podcast fascinating. This episode is good for sports junkies.
Think about that for a second. In the NBA's 70-year history, Chamberlain had 78% of those 30/30 performances.

I have old-timer friends who insist that Chamberlain, not Jordan, was the greatest basketball player ever. Statistically, anyway, it's not all that difficult a case to make. I mean, the man led the league in assists one year!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #986 on: March 22, 2018, 09:21:08 AM »
The Bucks dysfunction has been kind of fun/depressing to see unfold the last few days. Woelful went on the radio saying how Jabari was close to being traded and likely won’t be coming back. He also called out Alex Lasry (owner’s son and SVP for Bucks) by saying he should tone down his Twitter interactions with fans.

Fans were calling out the team for not having any sort of list and saying there wasn’t a coaching vacancy.

So Horst goes on the radio at 1130 PM Spain time while scouting so he can call out Woelful for making up rumors and say that he called the national reporters who reported any sort of coaching list that it wasn’t true.

Just an example of where I feel the new owners have done very well on the business side, but can’t get out of their own way on the basketball side.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #987 on: March 22, 2018, 09:26:03 AM »
jesmu:

I actually saw that interview way back when, and it was interesting.

I was in Chicago when the Bulls got Ben Wallace, who ended up being a disaster for them. He was a horrible FT shooter and Rick Barry flat-out said he could turn Wallace into a 75% or better FT shooter if Wallace would let him. And Wallace said no, shooting granny-style wasn't "cool."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #988 on: March 22, 2018, 12:34:50 PM »
jesmu:

I was in Chicago when the Bulls got Ben Wallace, who ended up being a disaster for them. He was a horrible FT shooter and Rick Barry flat-out said he could turn Wallace into a 75% or better FT shooter if Wallace would let him. And Wallace said no, shooting granny-style wasn't "cool."

Still have a Ben Wallace Bulls jersey sitting in my closet.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #989 on: March 22, 2018, 12:59:15 PM »
jesmu:

It's crazy. Ego/style/"cool" > points/individual and team success

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #990 on: March 22, 2018, 01:36:15 PM »
It's crazy. Ego/style/"cool" > points/individual and team success

I get it. It's a dog eat dog league with a razor thin margin between making it and not. To get to that level your physical gifts have to be there, but your ego/level of self-belief also has to be world class or you won't cut it. In that respect, I could see someone not wanting to be the butt of teammates'/opponents' jokes for a metric that isn't going to move the needle all that much re: whether you make it or not when your self-confidence level matters way more.

With that said, someone is going to come in and make it cool at some point (like what Curry did for the 3 ball), and I think it has a chance to catch on from there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #991 on: March 22, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »
I get it. It's a dog eat dog league with a razor thin margin between making it and not. To get to that level your physical gifts have to be there, but your ego/level of self-belief also has to be world class or you won't cut it. In that respect, I could see someone not wanting to be the butt of teammates'/opponents' jokes for a metric that isn't going to move the needle all that much re: whether you make it or not when your self-confidence level matters way more.

With that said, someone is going to come in and make it cool at some point (like what Curry did for the 3 ball), and I think it has a chance to catch on from there.

I could see that if Wallace had been a kid trying to establish himself. He was a respected veteran.

And then he totally quit on the Bulls. THAT earned him disrespect.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #992 on: April 11, 2018, 09:58:31 PM »
Jimmy Effen Butler comes off the DL to lead the Timbies into the playoffs.

Stud.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #993 on: April 11, 2018, 10:03:43 PM »
JFB met with JB pregame obviously. His ft’s were baaaad.

He played almost 45 min.  Impressive.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #994 on: April 11, 2018, 10:56:32 PM »
With a lot on the line, the Bucks showed their character.

With a lot on the line, this is their worst loss in at least 10 years.

A complete embarrassment.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #995 on: April 11, 2018, 11:02:35 PM »
With a lot on the line, the Bucks showed their character.

With a lot on the line, this is their worst loss in at least 10 years.

A complete embarrassment.

I think the Bucks got exactly what they wanted.  Dropped to the 7 seed to face a depleted Boston.  With Cleveland and Toronto on the other side of the bracket, the Bucks have a favorable draw to make a run at the conference finals.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #996 on: April 11, 2018, 11:07:41 PM »
Shame Boogie isn't healthy. Think the Pelicans could have given the Rockets a decent second round matchup if he was.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #997 on: April 12, 2018, 12:39:25 AM »
I think the Bucks got exactly what they wanted.  Dropped to the 7 seed to face a depleted Boston.  With Cleveland and Toronto on the other side of the bracket, the Bucks have a favorable draw to make a run at the conference finals.

Um..... No.

If they won, they would have their 1st round  draft pick. By losing, it depends on the roll of the dice.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #998 on: April 12, 2018, 12:49:31 AM »
Um..... No.

If they won, they would have their 1st round  draft pick. By losing, it depends on the roll of the dice.

If they keep the pick they will have to send next year's anyway.  It's not like they would have magically gotten out of sending it.  With the Bucks luck Giannis goes down next year and they end up with a top 10 pick they would have to send away.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #999 on: April 12, 2018, 12:51:27 AM »
Yeah I don't think the Bucks really cared if they won tonight. Even if they were trying I'm glad they failed. They could obviously lose to Boston but this is the best case scenario.

feedback