[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA '17  (Read 242030 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: NBA '17
« Reply #1025 on: April 16, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »
Could be PEDs. Could also be getting away from a “point guard” who only passes to chase stats.

You mean the guy who has lead the NBA in Assit% the last two years, APG this year and PER the year before?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1026 on: April 16, 2018, 01:31:54 PM »
Could be PEDs. Could also be getting away from a “point guard” who only passes to chase stats.

He only played one year with Westbrook. I never saw anything in Oladipo's time in Orlando that made me think he could be an All Star.

VO posted career highs in just about every category, including FG%, 3FG%, usage, O-rating, and D-rating.  I'll be interested to see if he can sustain this level.

But good for him and kudos to you, Wades.  You were spot on.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1027 on: April 16, 2018, 01:48:24 PM »
Marv in his prime was as good as it gets, IMO. He really is/was a joy to have on a broadcast.

I think Harlan has overtaken him.  Marv Albert is great and Harlan owes a chunk of his style to him, but I would take peak Harlan over peak Albert.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1028 on: April 16, 2018, 02:36:42 PM »

You mean the guy who has lead the NBA in Assit% the last two years, APG this year and PER the year before?

True, but Westbrook doesn't play very well with wings. Especially ball-dominant ones. He was absolutely negatively impacting Oladipo's game. He does play well with spot shooters and with centers in the pick and roll.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1029 on: April 16, 2018, 04:48:34 PM »
True, but Westbrook doesn't play very well with wings. Especially ball-dominant ones. He was absolutely negatively impacting Oladipo's game. He does play well with spot shooters and with centers in the pick and roll.

Durant? Harden?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1030 on: April 16, 2018, 08:26:34 PM »
Somebody call the proctologist, because Dwade's a $$ is on fire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1031 on: April 16, 2018, 09:33:48 PM »
I think Harlan has overtaken him.  Marv Albert is great and Harlan owes a chunk of his style to him, but I would take peak Harlan over peak Albert.

Not a chance, but that's OK. We're allowed to disagree.

And I really like Harlan.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1032 on: April 16, 2018, 09:45:34 PM »
Marv is my favorite. Harlan is very good. Most underrated sports broadcaster in my opinion is Ian Eagle. Probably because he was on the call for the Vander game winner against Davidson. But I think he’s great in both basketball and football. And he does a great Marv impersonation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1033 on: April 16, 2018, 11:06:52 PM »

I mean the "point guard" that has led the NBA in field goal attempts per game in 3 of the past 4 seasons and has been in the top 10 in field goal attempts per game each of the past 7 years, almost all in the top 5.  The "point guard" who couldn't share a backcourt with the soon-to-be MVP of the NBA so what should've been his awesome sidekick was first brought off the bench before his team traded him.  The "point guard" who ran off what is, in my opinion, the greatest pure scorer, and top 2 offensive player, I have ever personally watched play basketball.  The "point guard" who couldn't make it work with Oladipo, who is clearly much better than he was given the opportunity to show he was when he had to play with Westbrook.

Westbrook is largely why I loved the trade for the Pacers in the first place.  I didn't think Oladipo would be THIS good, but I had no doubt whatsoever that getting out of OKC would be a great thing for him and that he was a LOT better than he had the chance to be with Westbrook on his team.  And on top of that they get a high ceiling, high upside, young big in Sabonis who is proving to be a valuable piece.  The Pacers weren't going to be able to keep George, he literally told everyone that, and the Thunder are getting a 1 year rental before George heads to the West Coast, leaving the Thunder without two really good young pieces in exchange for, at best, a second round Playoff loss.

I have said for 5+ years that no team that has Westbrook running the point guard will ever win an NBA title.

I've heard nothing but great things about him outside of NBA arenas.  He's insanely gifted athletically.  I respect that he goes 1 million miles an hour every game.  But I absolutely despise how selfishly he plays the game of basketball.  People can say KD "took the easy route to a championship."  But you can play for an all iso all the time team and live in Oklahoma City, OK, or you can play for a team that moves the ball in San Francisco, CA.  Tough choice...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1034 on: April 17, 2018, 10:24:10 AM »
Mike Breen is still very, very good. Can't be easy to navigate that three man booth, but he does it quite well.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1035 on: April 17, 2018, 11:07:05 AM »
I mean the "point guard" that has led the NBA in field goal attempts per game in 3 of the past 4 seasons and has been in the top 10 in field goal attempts per game each of the past 7 years, almost all in the top 5.  The "point guard" who couldn't share a backcourt with the soon-to-be MVP of the NBA so what should've been his awesome sidekick was first brought off the bench before his team traded him.  The "point guard" who ran off what is, in my opinion, the greatest pure scorer, and top 2 offensive player, I have ever personally watched play basketball.  The "point guard" who couldn't make it work with Oladipo, who is clearly much better than he was given the opportunity to show he was when he had to play with Westbrook.

Westbrook is largely why I loved the trade for the Pacers in the first place.  I didn't think Oladipo would be THIS good, but I had no doubt whatsoever that getting out of OKC would be a great thing for him and that he was a LOT better than he had the chance to be with Westbrook on his team.  And on top of that they get a high ceiling, high upside, young big in Sabonis who is proving to be a valuable piece.  The Pacers weren't going to be able to keep George, he literally told everyone that, and the Thunder are getting a 1 year rental before George heads to the West Coast, leaving the Thunder without two really good young pieces in exchange for, at best, a second round Playoff loss.

I have said for 5+ years that no team that has Westbrook running the point guard will ever win an NBA title.

I've heard nothing but great things about him outside of NBA arenas.  He's insanely gifted athletically.  I respect that he goes 1 million miles an hour every game.  But I absolutely despise how selfishly he plays the game of basketball.  People can say KD "took the easy route to a championship."  But you can play for an all iso all the time team and live in Oklahoma City, OK, or you can play for a team that moves the ball in San Francisco, CA.  Tough choice...

You're probably right about Westbrook never winning a title, but he came as close as one of the least-selfish PGs ever (Stockton) did.

Most of the same things you're saying about Westbrook were said about Jordan, BTW.

I absolutely am not comparing Westbrook to Jordan, except to say that for 5 or 6 years, one of the most common statements by "NBA people" was, "Michael is too selfish and will NEVER win a championship."

But again, I agree that Westbrook is a selfish PG who must be difficult to play with.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: April 17, 2018, 07:59:33 PM »
I don't care how selfish someone actually is, but if you average a triple double, as a player you are the antithesis of selfish

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1037 on: April 17, 2018, 08:11:43 PM »
I don't care how selfish someone actually is, but if you average a triple double, as a player you are the antithesis of selfish

There was an article last year on how his matchup shot the highest percentage of uncontested shots in the NBA and that at least 2 centers contested more 3 point attempts than Westbrook did last season. He literally doesn’t guard guys in order to crash the defensive boards.

Go watch his last game of the year. It was the definition of selfish.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1038 on: April 17, 2018, 08:42:24 PM »
How 'bout them Bucks? Green and growin', aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1039 on: April 17, 2018, 08:42:34 PM »
There was an article last year on how his matchup shot the highest percentage of uncontested shots in the NBA and that at least 2 centers contested more 3 point attempts than Westbrook did last season. He literally doesn’t guard guys in order to crash the defensive boards.

Go watch his last game of the year. It was the definition of selfish.

Okay, but his teammates didn't care (Watch Melo's interview) and they still won the game.

Westbrook still has more finals appearances than Steve Nash.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1040 on: April 17, 2018, 09:09:47 PM »
Okay, but his teammates didn't care (Watch Melo's interview) and they still won the game.

Westbrook still has more finals appearances than Steve Nash.

And the best players Steve Nash played with were Sean Marion and Amare Stoudamire. Compare that to Kevin Durant and James Harden...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1041 on: April 17, 2018, 09:18:31 PM »
And the best players Steve Nash played with were Sean Marion and Amare Stoudamire. Compare that to Kevin Durant and James Harden...

Nash's best teammate by far was Dirk Nowitski.  (Not including over the hill Kobe.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:20:08 PM by #bansultan »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1042 on: April 17, 2018, 09:24:19 PM »
Nash's best teammate by far was Dirk Nowitski.  (Not including over the hill Kobe.)

That Dallas team should have won something. Dirk, Nash, Michael Finley, and Jason Terry with Don Nelson at the helm.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: April 17, 2018, 09:27:59 PM »

Correct, but that was before either of their primes.  And their last 2-3 years they were fairly successful despite having an eh supporting cast.  Peak Nash never had the teammates Westbrook has had.  They also had to deal with prime Spurs dynasty years.

Also, LOL at citing Melo as validation of him being a good teammate.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1044 on: April 17, 2018, 09:39:25 PM »
That Dallas team should have won something. Dirk, Nash, Michael Finley, and Jason Terry with Don Nelson at the helm.

The Jet didn't arrive until '05 a season removed from Nash.

Point still stands though, some ridiculous good teams. However, those teams were better NBA Live teams than real life. Also, the Spurs were even better.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1045 on: April 17, 2018, 09:46:07 PM »
The Jet didn't arrive until '05 a season removed from Nash.

Point still stands though, some ridiculous good teams. However, those teams were better NBA Live teams than real life. Also, the Spurs were even better.

The 2002-03 Mavs finished tied with San Antonio and lost to them in the conference finals.    The year before, the Kings, Lakers, Spurs and Mavs all finished within four games of each other.  (And had the four best records in the NBA.)  The Mavs were the 4 seed and lost to the #1 seed Kings.

Those Mavs teams were legit good.  Probably comparable to the mid-80s Bucks teams that always seemed to be a player short.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #1046 on: April 17, 2018, 09:57:14 PM »
Love what I’ve seen from the Celtics through 2 games. All of the roll players stepping up big time. And obviously brad Stevens just has a way of making everyone look good. Tatum, brown, T-Ro, Al, Morris have all been great. Add a healthy Hayward, Kyrie and smart and this is the best team in the league.

The bucks have been pretty bad tho. Bledsoe, snell, Jabari have been abysmal. Brogdon has been solid but not enough mins. Middleton has been excellent, very impressive. Giannis has played very well and put up great stats but he has yet to convince me he can be the #1 option on a successful playoff team. You need to be able to shoot in this league these days and he still has a lot of work to do. He’s obviously pretty shook at the ft line too.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1047 on: April 17, 2018, 10:08:38 PM »
Love what I’ve seen from the Celtics through 2 games. All of the roll players stepping up big time. And obviously brad Stevens just has a way of making everyone look good. Tatum, brown, T-Ro, Al, Morris have all been great. Add a healthy Hayward, Kyrie and smart and this is the best team in the league.

The bucks have been pretty bad tho. Bledsoe, snell, Jabari have been abysmal. Brogdon has been solid but not enough mins. Middleton has been excellent, very impressive. Giannis has played very well and put up great stats but he has yet to convince me he can be the #1 option on a successful playoff team. You need to be able to shoot in this league these days and he still has a lot of work to do. He’s obviously pretty shook at the ft line too.

The Warriors are still the best team in the NBA even with a healthy Hayward and Kyrie. Probably the Rockets as well.

And Giannis is already a top 5 player in the NBA.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:10:34 PM by wadesworld »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1048 on: April 17, 2018, 10:21:18 PM »
Kinda hoping the Bucks get swept so I don't have to watch them anymore. They are such a mess.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1049 on: April 17, 2018, 10:29:34 PM »
Add a healthy Hayward, Kyrie and smart and this is the best team in the league.

As my uncle used to say: "You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it might be."