[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA '17  (Read 241961 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: NBA '17
« Reply #1075 on: April 22, 2018, 02:57:19 PM »
Herd Woeful on the crystal set say rumor is da Dear wanna hire a prez of bb operations. Thru out Bird's name. Wunder if da stink wit Parker is two far down da sewer to retrieve? Anyways, da Yanks have doubled der bread in fore years. Beets stickin' it US Treasuries, aina?

don't know if the stock market boys could pay anyone enough to drag their pull-toys around, eyn'a?  like legalized prostitution with the lights on :D
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1076 on: April 22, 2018, 03:05:43 PM »
i'll admit that i am a fair weather fan, but the nba is hard too watch sometimes.  and if time is valuable, as it is, why would i waste my time watching.  for instance, what is the standard for a foul much less traveling??  did any of you guys see the game today?  at about the 6-7 minute mark, some dude from boston fell and slid with the ball from the top of the key to about half-way into the lane globetrotter style-nope-play on.  he dishes to a guy who drains a three... :o 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1077 on: April 22, 2018, 03:07:49 PM »
As was I.  Prunty allowed a 20 point lead to dwindle to 3 before he took a timeout.  Incredible.

Also, the Bucks went from absolutely refusing to switch anything at any point the entire regular season to suddenly switching everything anytime two offensive players crossed paths.  Morris would just be running across the court without even attempting to set a screen and suddenly Bledsoe would jump out to him and leave Middleton or Jabari on Larkin/Rozier.  Baffling.  Stevens is a good enough coach as it is, you don't need to just set mismatches all over the court up for him.

I believe he did call one when the league was cut to 14.  But then never called another until it was gone.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: April 22, 2018, 03:14:14 PM »
i'll admit that i am a fair weather fan, but the nba is hard too watch sometimes.  and if time is valuable, as it is, why would i waste my time watching.  for instance, what is the standard for a foul much less traveling??  did any of you guys see the game today?  at about the 6-7 minute mark, some dude from boston fell and slid with the ball from the top of the key to about half-way into the lane globetrotter style-nope-play on.  he dishes to a guy who drains a three... :o 

NBA refs are about a million times better than college refs.  NBA reffing has improved TREMENDOUSLY under Silver.

Honestly I don't know how anyone can watch the NBA playoffs and still somehow think college basketball is better.  Yeah the regular season can be more enjoyable because of the on-campus atmosphere, and the tournament is special because of its nature, but the quality of the basketball at this time of year is incredible.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1079 on: April 22, 2018, 03:15:41 PM »
As was I.  Prunty allowed a 20 point lead to dwindle to 3 before he took a timeout.  Incredible.

Also, the Bucks went from absolutely refusing to switch anything at any point the entire regular season to suddenly switching everything anytime two offensive players crossed paths.  Morris would just be running across the court without even attempting to set a screen and suddenly Bledsoe would jump out to him and leave Middleton or Jabari on Larkin/Rozier.  Baffling.  Stevens is a good enough coach as it is, you don't need to just set mismatches all over the court up for him.

I should also add that Maker and Parker being as good as they have been in 3 and 4, after hardly seeing the floor in 1 and 2, is a pretty damning indictment of Prunty as well.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1080 on: April 22, 2018, 03:17:49 PM »
Prunty, he gowne, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: April 22, 2018, 03:47:08 PM »

NBA refs are about a million times better than college refs.  NBA reffing has improved TREMENDOUSLY under Silver.

Honestly I don't know how anyone can watch the NBA playoffs and still somehow think college basketball is better.  Yeah the regular season can be more enjoyable because of the on-campus atmosphere, and the tournament is special because of its nature, but the quality of the basketball at this time of year is incredible.

Different strokes.

I find it more obnoxious that people can hit turnaround fade away 20 footers rather then enjoyable.

Except AD. AD is the exception to the NBA rule.

Oh, and call a travel every once in awhile.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 03:50:26 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: April 22, 2018, 04:01:11 PM »
Y burn a TO wen ya got nothin' ta say, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: April 22, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »

That was a FANTASTIC game with a monstrous comeback, and then two teams exchanging massive shots towards the finish resulting in an amazing putback and a missed buzzer beater...and you focus on a meaningless play which my uncle (a former HS and small college referee) couldn't decide if it was a travel as he never truly stopped dribbling and didn't roll on the ground with the ball in his hands?  Some people just need to find things to complain about.  Such as...

I find it more obnoxious that people can hit turnaround fade away 20 footers rather then enjoyable.

Yea, its totally obnoxious to see people truly excel at their sport, much more fun to watch bricked shots everywhere.  Give me a hard nosed B10 game with each team shooting 34% every day!

On a Bucks related note, they push a lead and shut the Cs down on offense with Delly in...then he might as well be in the concession stand selling popcorn during the second half

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1084 on: April 22, 2018, 05:18:09 PM »

I understand both sides of this argument. 

I think what Rocket is getting at is that clear and obvious fouls are just not called.  Grabbing, pushing, elbows, etc. are just plain allowed in the NBA.  Traveling, isn't even a thing.  I find that quite annoying, but if they called those there would be TO's galore, and both teams would foul out before the end of the first quarter.  It's usually called evenly (it's not in the NCAA), with the exception of obvious star treatment.

But the amazing thing is the NBA players so so absurdly good, they can play right through all that, which from a talent standpoint is just amazing.  They can literally do anything, and open or even contested shots are likely going in, particularly in crunch time.  That makes the NBA game much more exciting.

So in the NCAA they try to call the game like it was meant to be called, but the caliber of play is inferior.  In the NBA, the talent is absurd, but they don't call the game like it was designed. 

In the end, for an entire season, I prefer the NCAA, each game means more.  There are too many games in the NBA, that each game means nothing and often you get about 40 minutes of 75% effort, and 8 minutes of 100% effort.  NBA playoffs though, are phenomenal.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1085 on: April 22, 2018, 06:03:48 PM »
I understand both sides of this argument. 

I think what Rocket is getting at is that clear and obvious fouls are just not called.  Grabbing, pushing, elbows, etc. are just plain allowed in the NBA.  Traveling, isn't even a thing.  I find that quite annoying, but if they called those there would be TO's galore, and both teams would foul out before the end of the first quarter.  It's usually called evenly (it's not in the NCAA), with the exception of obvious star treatment.

But the amazing thing is the NBA players so so absurdly good, they can play right through all that, which from a talent standpoint is just amazing.  They can literally do anything, and open or even contested shots are likely going in, particularly in crunch time.  That makes the NBA game much more exciting.

So in the NCAA they try to call the game like it was meant to be called, but the caliber of play is inferior.  In the NBA, the talent is absurd, but they don't call the game like it was designed. 

In the end, for an entire season, I prefer the NCAA, each game means more.  There are too many games in the NBA, that each game means nothing and often you get about 40 minutes of 75% effort, and 8 minutes of 100% effort.  NBA playoffs though, are phenomenal.

thank you forgets-exactly.  i mean, what is the standard?  i think it was the first bucks-celtics game-the greek freak got the ball, started dribbling, moved back to the three point line, stopped dribbling, held the ball for a few moments, then started dribbling again toward the basket and was called, rightly so, for DOUBLE DRIBBLE and he was arguing with the ref.  understand i like the guy, but...

yes, i very much appreciate the talent at the nba level.  i grew up watching the bucks from a 6th row seat off the north basket at the old arena. cigar smoke and a guy with a blow horn behind us.  it was great!  saw the big O as a player for the cincinnati royals before he came to milwaukee, etc etc today's players are sickly good. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1086 on: April 22, 2018, 06:31:15 PM »
I think the NBA does a good job of understanding what fouls should be called - when an advantage is gained.  My frustrations with the NCAA is that they are trying to take a "zero tolerance" approach, and all that has done is break up the games completely. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: April 22, 2018, 10:17:41 PM »
I think the NBA does a good job of understanding what fouls should be called - when an advantage is gained.  My frustrations with the NCAA is that they are trying to take a "zero tolerance" approach, and all that has done is break up the games completely.

In general, I agree with you.  But the officiating down the stretch in the Pacers vs. Cleveland game was absolute horse crap. 

That kind of officiating is why people historically say the NBA is rigged.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 10:19:26 PM by forgetful »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1088 on: April 22, 2018, 10:37:49 PM »
In general, I agree with you.  But the officiating down the stretch in the Pacers vs. Cleveland game was absolute horse crap. 

That kind of officiating is why people historically say the NBA is rigged.

They got the last call right. If you watch the replay when Stephenson mugged Green, both refs right on the play immediately raised their hands in fists for fouls. The younger guy confused the situation a little by following his signal with a jump ball sign, but Ken Mauer (one of the best) had it as a foul all the way, and correctly so. They then went to the monitor to make sure nothing happened in the ensuing scrum.

One problem was that Marv Albert and Chris Webber did a terrible job of explaning what took place - neither noticed both refs clearly raising their fists with the foul call, and Marv actually said Green was shooting technical FTs even though both teams had players lined up along the lane because it was a common foul.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1089 on: April 23, 2018, 11:09:39 AM »
They got the last call right. If you watch the replay when Stephenson mugged Green, both refs right on the play immediately raised their hands in fists for fouls. The younger guy confused the situation a little by following his signal with a jump ball sign, but Ken Mauer (one of the best) had it as a foul all the way, and correctly so. They then went to the monitor to make sure nothing happened in the ensuing scrum.

One problem was that Marv Albert and Chris Webber did a terrible job of explaning what took place - neither noticed both refs clearly raising their fists with the foul call, and Marv actually said Green was shooting technical FTs even though both teams had players lined up along the lane because it was a common foul.

That makes a lot more sense.  I was going by their analysis, which said Jump Ball, and then a technical on Stephenson instead.  I don't think they ever clarified that the play was originally called a foul (which is what I would have agreed with).

I thought they had decided to essentially correct their mistake (not calling a foul), by deeming the play a technical instead.  Because if anything, there should have been a technical on Green (I wouldn't have called it though).

Thanks for the clarification.  I rescind my previous statement regarding the "horse crap" calls.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: April 23, 2018, 11:14:00 AM »
That makes a lot more sense.  I was going by their analysis, which said Jump Ball, and then a technical on Stephenson instead.  I don't think they ever clarified that the play was originally called a foul (which is what I would have agreed with).

I thought they had decided to essentially correct their mistake (not calling a foul), by deeming the play a technical instead.  Because if anything, there should have been a technical on Green (I wouldn't have called it though).

Thanks for the clarification.  I rescind my previous statement regarding the "horse crap" calls.

http://awfulannouncing.com/uncategorized/nobody-had-any-idea-what-the-hell-was-going-on-in-the-pacers-cavs-game-4-finish.html

I didn't see it.  Fell asleep on the couch.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: April 23, 2018, 11:26:26 AM »
http://awfulannouncing.com/uncategorized/nobody-had-any-idea-what-the-hell-was-going-on-in-the-pacers-cavs-game-4-finish.html

I didn't see it.  Fell asleep on the couch.

I love the tweet in your link.  "Shocking that Weber would be clueless in the closing seconds."

Because of the announcers the officiating at the ending seemed to have all kinds of wrong present, turns out they actually did have it right from the beginning and Weber just sucks.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: April 23, 2018, 12:01:13 PM »
Hubie Brown been outstandin', old fart or knot, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1093 on: April 23, 2018, 12:25:06 PM »

I've seen very few wrestlers with a takedown move as sweet as Richardson's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1094 on: April 23, 2018, 03:29:43 PM »
It was such an obvious foul on Stephenson that for a few seconds I was shocked that it was going to be a jumpball. But then in the very first replay, I saw Mauer signal for a foul and I knew that's what it was going to be.

Big Marv Albert fan for several decades now, but he has had a bunch of pretty bad miscues lately. The guy's almost 77 and clearly isn't what he once was - and yet he still calls a game better than most. Webber? He was scary bad on that one. My son (who is 30) thinks he is excellent, but I prefer Reggie Miller. The Miller-Harlan tandem is hard to beat. Van Gundy is usually very good; not as enthused about Mark Jackson, though, so that 3-man-in-booth isn't my favorite even though Breen is solid. Used to really like Hubie, but I think I'm tired of listening to him talking about "the painted area." I really liked Rivers and also Steve Kerr as analysts; coaching's gain has been my ears' loss!

I enjoy both the NBA playoffs and NCAA hoops for different reasons.

I firmly believe that NBAers are the best all-around athletes in the world. I mean, they are 6-7, run like cheetahs, built like in-their-prime boxers, amazing dexterity, magicians with the ball. Even most of the "bad" players. And I like watching the best of the best go at it with the season on the line. It's great sports theater. I'm not going to let "but the refs don't call enough traveling" stop me from enjoying it. The regular season ... there are very few games worth giving a shyte about, which is one of the NBA's problems. Great teams "resting" 3 or 4 players at once, bad teams tanking it for possible draft position ... that stuff is terrible.

I watch all Marquette games, the NCAA tournament and very little other regular-season college ball. Even UNC-Duke or a non-conference matchup like Kansas-Michigan State ... I might tune in for the end if the game is close, but I'm not gonna sit there and watch some Dec. 9 or Feb. 11 game from beginning to end. Unless it's Marquette. I do watch a ton of the tournament, though I'm more engaged in the entire tourney if MU is in it. (Of course.) And even my wife watched the entire Final Four ... though this year the Women's Final Four was the really amazing entertainment.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: April 23, 2018, 07:59:55 PM »
Kevin Harlan just called Derrick Rose, Reggie Rose. I mean, I know a lot of people are in Reggie's pocket, but never woulda thought Harlan was one of them.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:04:36 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: April 23, 2018, 09:24:17 PM »
He was talking to Reggie Miller. “Reggie, Rose has been terrific”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: April 23, 2018, 10:00:18 PM »
In the third quarter, Houston made every Timberwolves defender (including JFB) look like Rowsey. The Rockets did whatever they wanted whenever they wanted.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: April 23, 2018, 10:35:39 PM »
The Bucks rebounding is like 5 Russell Westbrooks on the floor.  Just forget about that the most important thing is your team gets the ball and make sure you go absolutely all out to crash the boards yourself, no matter what your defensive assignment is.  Which leaves about 4 offensive players free to come up with an uncontested offensive rebound.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1099 on: April 23, 2018, 11:02:16 PM »
I am all in on this Ingles George scuffle. Hilarious. George aught to be embarrassed.