Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Goodman (ESPN) Henry signs with agent  (Read 19021 times)

Warriors10

• All American
Re: Goodman (ESPN) Henry signs with agent
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2016, 08:06:00 PM »
Individual awards are nice, but I am a Marqutte fan first and foremost, and the most important stat is wins. In recent history I would put D-Wade, Jackson, Diener, Novak, James, Mcneal, Matthews, Hayward, Crowder, DJO, and Blue all well ahead of Henry as Marquette players. Henry put up big numbers as a freshman, but I've never been a huge fan of guys who put up big numbers on unsuccessful teams

Having Henry for one year was nice, but the outcome was somewhat disappointing for MU as the team couldn't even make the NIT in his only year here

Rob Frozena > Henry Ellenson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2016, 08:17:35 PM »
Individual awards are nice, but I am a Marqutte fan first and foremost, and the most important stat is wins. In recent history I would put D-Wade, Jackson, Diener, Novak, James, Mcneal, Matthews, Hayward, Crowder, DJO, and Blue all well ahead of Henry as Marquette players. Henry put up big numbers as a freshman, but I've never been a huge fan of guys who put up big numbers on unsuccessful teams

Having Henry for one year was nice, but the outcome was somewhat disappointing for MU as the team couldn't even make the NIT in his only year here

So Henry doesn't get your label as a "special player" because the team was a disappointment?  That really doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you want to say the team wasn't special or the team wasn't special I get that. But Henry did everything he could. Special player.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2016, 08:27:41 PM »
Special players find a way to get their teams to the tournament. He was a very good player.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2016, 08:30:11 PM »
Special players find a way to get their teams to the tournament. He was a very good player.

Ben Simons sucks.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2016, 08:30:34 PM »
What a great end to a fantastic season.  Blaming the best freshman MU has had in the modern era.

If you want to relive the season go to another thread.

Good luck HE. Glad to have been able to see you play in blue and gold. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2016, 08:39:32 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2016, 08:51:24 PM »

Lol. So he can't be "special" because his teammates weren't good enough?  Tony Smith wasn't special then?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2016, 09:11:55 PM »
Heisenberg, I happen to agree with you on this one.  A "source" leaking something to Jeff Goodman is not the same as a #donedeal.  If it is an attempt to put pressure on Henry, I bet mom and pop Ellenson will start wondering if this particular source has Henry's best interests at heart.  Interesting how this comes about a week and a half after we had the Givoney leak that Henry's "camp" was scheduling agent meetings.  Someone that doesn't appear to be the Ellenson family is putting out info, possibly for personal gain.

I understand in the 24/7 news world, everyone is desperate for information and wants to break the big story.  But every other ESPN story seems to be a result of a player announcement, and not anonymous sourcing.  Of course, nobody has refuted the story either.

I still believe Henry is going, and I'm glad he has a good family to help him navigate the process, unlike those sketchy "advisors" and "guardians" that seem to be cropping up around a lot of 5 star recruits and potential lottery picks.  An announcement sooner rather than later can only help the team, as suddenly there is a glaring hole at PF where some good grad transfer can see his opportunity to come in and be "the guy."

BTW, just talking to an agent doesn't disqualify you from anything.  You aren't out for sure until you sign on the dotted line.

Ok, so what is the agent's motivation for leaking to Goodman that HE is close to signing?  I think we agree it is to "nudge" him.

Is it to run off other agents?  Henry is going to sign with me so if he calls you is just to get a second opinion, you're not getting him.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2016, 09:58:35 PM »

Dr. J averaged 32 points and 20 rebounds for UMass and failed to make the NCAA tournament; Pistol Pete averaged 44 points for LSU and failed to make the NCAA tournament.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2016, 11:01:18 PM »
True. But the reality is that Henry was basically ours once Wally committed
I think that Wally gets more of Henry's minutes than any other returning player.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2016, 11:06:14 PM »
Dr. J averaged 32 points and 20 rebounds for UMass and failed to make the NCAA tournament; Pistol Pete averaged 44 points for LSU and failed to make the NCAA tournament.

Those weren't 68 team tournaments. I still appreciate Henry for being a great player, but I agree that it's hard to find the same kind of attachment after just 1 year and no March memories.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2016, 11:08:39 PM »

Other not special players:
Damian Lillard
Paul George
Klay Thompson
Chris Bosh

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2016, 11:24:22 PM »
Damian Lillard
Paul George
Klay Thompson
Chris Bosh

KG
Kobe
LeBron
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2016, 11:55:12 PM »
Damian Lillard
Paul George
Klay Thompson
Chris Bosh

I'm quite certain that Georgia Tech fans would say that BJ Elder and Jarret Jack were more special to the program than Chris Bosh. Sure Bosh was a more "special player" but relative to the program Elder and Jack were more special and I think that was the original point regarding Ellenson being compared to Hayward, DJO, McNeal etc. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2016, 12:14:26 AM »
Those weren't 68 team tournaments. I still appreciate Henry for being a great player, but I agree that it's hard to find the same kind of attachment after just 1 year and no March memories.

+1

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2016, 12:23:55 AM »

Frankly the number of teams is pointless in this argument since it is being argued special players should be able to get there 'no matter how bad there teammates are'.

If you don't have the emotional attachment to Henry because of one year, that is fine/your problem.  It doesn't take away from the fact that Henry is a special player, represented Marquette well, and will continue to do so going forward.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2016, 12:31:41 AM »
If you don't have the emotional attachment to Henry because of one year, that is fine/your problem.  It doesn't take away from the fact that Henry is a special player, represented Marquette well, and will continue to do so going forward.

Absolutely right. I'll follow him closely, and celebrate his successes just like Dwyane, Novak, Wes, Jimmy, Jae, and the other guys who got a cup of coffee.

But there is something to the ties being stronger to guys who were here for a few years. Nothing wrong with it.

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2016, 07:59:15 AM »
Nor does it take away the possibility that HE's emotional attachment to MU, though he's gowne, may be stronger than your emotional attachment to him. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2016, 08:02:22 AM »
I'm quite certain that Georgia Tech fans would say that BJ Elder and Jarret Jack were more special to the program than Chris Bosh. Sure Bosh was a more "special player" but relative to the program Elder and Jack were more special and I think that was the original point regarding Ellenson being compared to Hayward, DJO, McNeal etc.

Fine, but now you've changed it from "special player" to "special to the program." Not the same thing.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2016, 08:32:15 AM »
Hope he finishes the semester in good standing. That APR ain't all that purty for #mubb, a''inal?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2016, 09:04:56 AM »

Yup.  My wife is a GT alum, and she loves Jarret Jack.  She didn't even know Chris Bosh went to GT until I told her about it a few years ago.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2016, 09:23:57 AM »
Well said, it was nice knowing you and good luck, I hope the career is successful because the bonus money will run out in no time.  I really mean it, I hope the best for him he seems like a really nice kid.

The work horses you mentioned are true troopers, true warriors.

I noticed on the VaTec website that Buzz is taking credit for most of them.  It shows them in their NBA uniforms on the VaTec site, amazing and a little misleading.

Does Marquette take credit for HE and show him in his NBA uniform in our promotional material?

Nah man, all HE-related MU promotional material will feature him in a plain white tee

MU82

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »
What a silly argument.

I'm glad HE chose Marquette. I enjoyed watching him play. The team would have been worse without him.

I will have fond memories of him in a Marquette uniform.

I will have fonder memories of the Wade-Diener crew because they delivered us to the Final Four and played for a longer time at Marquette.

I don't believe those points are mutually exclusive.

I also don't believe those points have anything to do with whether or not Henry was a "special player." Of course he was.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2016, 09:30:52 AM »
I think that Wally gets more of Henry's minutes than any other returning player.

If that's true next year won't be any better than this one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2016, 09:33:29 AM »
tower and I discussed this at dinner last night. Henry came along at an exact imperfect time for Marquette. If he were added to virtually any of Buzz or Crean's teams of the past decade, he would have turned very good teams into national title contenders. If he had come along 2-3 years from now, he may very well do the same to a Wojo coached team.

However what he did do was give credibility to a young coach and make what was by all accounts a fairly mundane season enjoyable and entertaining to watch. Henry will likely own freshmen records for a long, long time and should be remembered as one of the true greats to come through Marquette, though our lack of tourney success in his fleeting time here may diminish that.

Henry is probably the greatest freshman ever to play at Marquette, but when all is said and done, I expect he will go down as the third most influential player in his own recruiting class. I think Cheatham and Carter will give us a lot of memories in the next three years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.