'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Goodman (ESPN) Henry signs with agent  (Read 18705 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Goodman (ESPN) Henry signs with agent
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2016, 09:38:59 PM »
Good for Henry. He's a likely lottery pick and is making the best professional decision for his future. He will be missed, but Wojo has shown getting high level talent isn't a problem. Really hope we can get a grad transfer rebounder to fill that spot for next year, then hopefully the emphasis on bigs in 2017 will pay off.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2016, 09:40:21 PM »
I really expected Henry to declare. I was really hoping he would not hire an agent, so he had the option to comeback. I really do not see the value in him hiring an agent at this point.

Hes not coming back. He knows where hes getting drafted. Once he declares, he gone.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2016, 09:42:27 PM »
Oh nice, thanks.  I thought when he said "was he sporting next year's MU uniforms?" that maybe Jimmy was wearing some kind of different MU uniform.  It looks like (to me) those are this past season's uniforms...which obviously could also be next season's uniforms.  Anyhow, the MU shoes he wore against the Bucks earlier this year, the jersey for the interview, etc.  Great representative of MU.

My bad. The Comcast live feed only showed the very top, and I didn't realize the current jerseys had triangular-like "flair" on the shoulders. Thought it was a modern take on our old camouflage gear. Gee, I feel stupid!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2016, 09:50:36 PM »
Happy for Henry

I may not think he is ready yet but good for him.   Hopefully he has a good workout and if he keeps working on his game and athleticism he can make it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2016, 09:50:52 PM »
Hes not coming back. He knows where hes getting drafted. Once he declares, he gone.
That is reasonable thinking. However, I do not think hiring an agent improves Henry's stock. I also do not think it hurts Henry's stock. He is going to be drafted based on his potential. Basically, the only thing it accomplishes is giving up the opportunity to comeback. I would think he would of only comeback, if he found he was not going in the top 20. He is not likely to fall that far, but why give up the ability to change your mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2016, 09:51:41 PM »
Never should have given you a hard time Wades, fact of the matter is I had no idea until this morning that you were a 14 year old coaching prodigy. It all makes sense now how you've managed to build such a connected web of sources in your early twenties. But where did you ever get the intel to predict that a consensus top 10 pick was gowne after just 1 year? Got to say you stuck to your guns and deserve the credit for breaking this scoop, take a look in the mirror tonight before bed and remind yourself that your still the unnatural carnal knowledgeing man.

Couldn't be happier for Henry though, this has been what he's been working towards for years now. Great kid, been an outstanding representive of the university on all fronts and will continue to do so.

I have been doing that every night for a long time now.  Glad to finally have your approval.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2016, 09:52:54 PM »
More times than not, this team entertained me.

My wife and I were in Brooklyn and had a blast. Watched the Wisconsin and Providence road games with big MU contingents and enjoyed it thoroughly. Loved the other Providence win, the Creighton win, the Butler win, the GT win. Enjoyed several others. Frustrated by a few, too, of course. Glad to have gotten the chance to have seen Henry, who helped Wojo's credibility as a recruiter and who was helped by Wojo's staff as the season progressed.

Maybe that's not an "accomplishment." But I was mostly happy with our progress and our product, and I'm excited about the future.

+1.  Well put.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2016, 09:54:29 PM »
My bad. The Comcast live feed only showed the very top, and I didn't realize the current jerseys had triangular-like "flair" on the shoulders. Thought it was a modern take on our old camouflage gear. Gee, I feel stupid!

Haha no problem.  Was just excited about the possibility of new uniforms, and always love seeing our pro alums representing Marquette.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2016, 09:57:56 PM »
Progress and accomplishment are not interchangeable.

Did we make progress this year?  Of course.

I don't look back very fondly on seasons where we're spectators not only for the NCAA, but NIT as well. I realize we probably make the NIT under the old selection process, but it is what it is still.

Fair points. There's no participation award in NCAA basketball. But after the 2014-15 season, I do think progress is an accomplishment — not the ultimate goal, but a critical step along the way.

I think back to the progress with Kevin O'Neill's first recruiting class. McIlvane, Key and Logtermann finished 11-18 season their first year together. But you could see the talent and potential. They showed clear improvement the next season, despite missing the NIT at 16-13. Marquette's first NCAA bid in a decade followed the next year.

I do remember and appreciate those 11-18 and 16-13 teams — not because they fell short of the postseason, but because they represented the desire, hard work and struggle it takes to build a successful college basketball program.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2016, 09:58:36 PM »
Congratulations to Henry. Loved what he did while he was here and will always appreciate it. Will love watching another MU Alum in the Association.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2016, 10:00:14 PM »
too bad the one year we get a burger boy the team is poor.....what a waste. lsu probably thinkin the same thing. at this point i kinda wish we would have gotten a solid 4 year contributor (another cheatham), which would be better for the program in the long run

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2016, 10:00:34 PM »
I find this decision by Ellenson to be pretty self-centered.

Doesn't he realize how good Marquette could be if he would return?

Frankly, I find his selfishness to be rather off-putting.

I had hoped that the value of a Marquette diploma would have cemented his loyalty. Obviously, he does not make Scoop a go-to source of information.

Death on call

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2016, 10:04:40 PM »
We did accomplish something. We climbed out of last place in the Big East standings with 4 more conference victories than the year before. We won 20 games for the first time in 3 seasons. Those may not count as accomplishments in your book, but that's real progress. Now it's time to raise the bar again.

I don't celebrating losing Henry. I celebrating having him — even if only for a single season, even if this team fell short of reaching the postseason. He's a special player who I enjoyed watching. And I hope he's only the first in a long line of NBA-worthy players we have to worry about losing.

Marquette has had a lot of special players, on teams that won. sure henry was very good, but I'd hardly list a guy who put up big numbers in one season on a bad team as one of our programs' special players

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2016, 10:10:15 PM »
That is reasonable thinking. However, I do not think hiring an agent improves Henry's stock. I also do not think it hurts Henry's stock. He is going to be drafted based on his potential. Basically, the only thing it accomplishes is giving up the opportunity to comeback. I would think he would of only comeback, if he found he was not going in the top 20. He is not likely to fall that far, but why give up the ability to change your mind.

A good agent can help Henry in his preparation for the draft — finding the right trainers, offering pointers for team and media interviews, sharing advice and information about workouts and the combine, connecting with financial advisors, et cetera.

Presumably, Henry's heard enough that he's comfortable with his draft standing. An agent's job is to help Henry focus on what's ahead and maximize his value to a future NBA team in every way possible.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2016, 10:12:08 PM »
Marquette has had a lot of special players, on teams that won. sure henry was very good, but I'd hardly list a guy who put up big numbers in one season on a bad team as one of our programs' special players

I would agree, he was a volume shooter, that was an average or below average 3 point shooter, could not defend a lick, but was an above average rebounder, and
for his size has a great handle.   Not even close to the top players at MU.  A great player if he stayed 4 years.  A nice bench warmer in the NBA next year.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2016, 10:22:31 PM »

To each his own. But by this logic, there was nothing special about Tony Smith. Since he never played in the NCAA tourney, he's just another guy, right? To me, he's one of the greatest players I've ever seen wear a Marquette uniform.

I'm not saying this was a great season. I have higher expectations for the program, the same as everyone here. But I also appreciate what Henry did as a freshman, leading the conference in rebounding and being named a first-team all-Big East player. His game was pretty special.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2016, 10:41:04 PM »
Great day for Marquette.  Thanks so much Henry.  You're welcome back anytime.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2016, 10:55:02 PM »
A good agent can help Henry in his preparation for the draft — finding the right trainers, offering pointers for team and media interviews, sharing advice and information about workouts and the combine, connecting with financial advisors, et cetera.

Presumably, Henry's heard enough that he's comfortable with his draft standing. An agent's job is to help Henry focus on what's ahead and maximize his value to a future NBA team in every way possible.

Bingo.  When people were upset that I was telling them Hank was gowne, the response I got when I asked why Hank hadn't announced yet was in hopes that I'd hear, "He's weighing his options," was instead, "It takes a while to find the right agent."  This was a process that was a long time in the making.  He's handling it the right way and he'll have a long, successful career at the next level.  Glad he played his one year at Marquette.

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2016, 04:30:15 AM »

It's better for everyone to know and move on. He can focus on the draft without having to split time with classes, and MU can move forward with recruiting. No sense in life lingering on decisions when they have been made.

Plus, good for him and good for Marquette. He was a one-and-done wherever he went, glad our name gets called when he is drafted.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2016, 05:49:22 AM »
Rest assured that Wojo knew today was coming since the first time he landed in Rice Lake. 

This was always part of the plan.

Now we get to see what the next step in Wojo's plan is. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2016, 06:50:22 AM »
Celebrate y'all! I look forward to da day when we lose lottery picks to da Association on a yearly/routine basis. Embrace da process, ai na?

Exactly ....

Happy for the program that this June at the NBA draft Wojo will be seen on TV hugging an NBA lottery pick.

Can't by that publicity.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2016, 09:03:23 AM »

Maybe your right, but it seems a bit self centered.  Now the recruiting picture is much clearer and recruits that are interested have a better idea of their options.  Henry, still a team player1
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2016, 09:04:33 AM »
Good luck Henry!

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2016, 09:15:37 AM »
Exactly ....

Happy for the program that this June at the NBA draft Wojo will be seen on TV hugging an NBA lottery pick.

Can't by that publicity.

You got that Right
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2016, 09:39:35 AM »
To each his own. But by this logic, there was nothing special about Tony Smith. Since he never played in the NCAA tourney, he's just another guy, right? To me, he's one of the greatest players I've ever seen wear a Marquette uniform.

Couldn't agree more.  ;D
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.