Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Goodman (ESPN) Henry signs with agent  (Read 18709 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Goodman (ESPN) Henry signs with agent
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2016, 09:50:01 AM »
To each his own. But by this logic, there was nothing special about Tony Smith. Since he never played in the NCAA tourney, he's just another guy, right? To me, he's one of the greatest players I've ever seen wear a Marquette uniform.

I'm not saying this was a great season. I have higher expectations for the program, the same as everyone here. But I also appreciate what Henry did as a freshman, leading the conference in rebounding and being named a first-team all-Big East player. His game was pretty special.

+1

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2016, 09:53:19 AM »
Was thinking about Henry's legacy here at MU and was wondering if he'll be like our version of Lance Stephenson. Huge recruit that made the team competitive but ultimately couldn't get over the hump. However it was a sure sign of good things to come as six years later Cincinatti hasn't missed a tournament since.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:57:34 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2016, 10:01:32 AM »
Was thinking about Henry's legacy here at MU and was wondering if he'll be like our version of Lance Stephenson. Can't miss recruit from the backyard, that made the team competitive but ultimately couldn't get over the hump. However it was a sure sign of good things to come as six years later Cincinatti hasn't missed a tournament since.

This is a fluffy idea other then the inconvenient truth that Stephenson wasn't from Cincinnati. Or Ohio for that matter.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2016, 10:11:08 AM »
This is a fluffy idea other then the inconvenient truth that Stephenson wasn't from Cincinnati. Or Ohio for that matter.

I know he wasn't notice the edit that I made like 30seconds after I posted. He was still a huge recruit for a major program that was going through a rebuild that couldn't get the team over the hump.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2016, 10:21:42 AM »
Was thinking about Henry's legacy here at MU and was wondering if he'll be like our version of Lance Stephenson. Huge recruit that made the team competitive but ultimately couldn't get over the hump. However it was a sure sign of good things to come as six years later Cincinatti hasn't missed a tournament since.

By the same token, he could be like our version of Ben Simmons...

I wish Henry the best - Chad Ford's latest mock draft has him going to the Timberwolves, which could be cool from the standpoint of continuing to follow him.  It's nice that Jeff Goodman reported some information from his sources, but I'd still like to hear the announcement from Henry himself.  I hope he gives it to Matty V.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2016, 10:31:05 AM »
Marquette has had a lot of special players, on teams that won. sure henry was very good, but I'd hardly list a guy who put up big numbers in one season on a bad team as one of our programs' special players

BE Freshman of the Year
First team All BE
First team freshman All American

By definition this is a special player.  I have no idea why people can't acknowledge that. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2016, 10:56:10 AM »

BE Freshman of the Year
First team All BE

By definition this is a special player.  I have no idea why people can't acknowledge that.

Because people are used to "special" players doing tons of things that make you go "WOW".  Henry is very efficient and fundamentally sound in a lot of ways, but isn't overly athletic.  Hence people making comments about "easy rebounds".  He's not soaring 20 feet to grab them, but his positioning and instinct for the ball and being nearly automatic from mid range are why he's going to have a LONG NBA career.  Unfortunately for some, they can't appreciate that as much as someone more flashy.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2016, 11:30:39 AM »
@GoodmanESPN: Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson will declare for the NBA Draft and sign with an agent, source told ESPN. No surprise

https://twitter.com/goodmanespn/status/716795963814227968

Most likely Goodman's source is the agent that wants to sign Henry.  What is the motivation of the agent for leaking this story?  What is he hoping to accomplish?  If he is going to sign why not wait until the real announcement and go to town with the press?

More specifically, what kind of pressure is he attempting to put on Henry? 

Maybe forcing him to sign as he is suggesting/implying that he has talked to an agent and burn is ability to return?  Why do that?  Maybe because he's still on the fence and heeds a "nudge" toward signing with him?

Remember this is still a high stakes big dollar industry.

"It's not personal, it's only business."

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:34:12 AM by Heisenberg »

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2016, 11:52:07 AM »
Heisenberg, I happen to agree with you on this one.  A "source" leaking something to Jeff Goodman is not the same as a #donedeal.  If it is an attempt to put pressure on Henry, I bet mom and pop Ellenson will start wondering if this particular source has Henry's best interests at heart.  Interesting how this comes about a week and a half after we had the Givoney leak that Henry's "camp" was scheduling agent meetings.  Someone that doesn't appear to be the Ellenson family is putting out info, possibly for personal gain.

I understand in the 24/7 news world, everyone is desperate for information and wants to break the big story.  But every other ESPN story seems to be a result of a player announcement, and not anonymous sourcing.  Of course, nobody has refuted the story either.

I still believe Henry is going, and I'm glad he has a good family to help him navigate the process, unlike those sketchy "advisors" and "guardians" that seem to be cropping up around a lot of 5 star recruits and potential lottery picks.  An announcement sooner rather than later can only help the team, as suddenly there is a glaring hole at PF where some good grad transfer can see his opportunity to come in and be "the guy."

BTW, just talking to an agent doesn't disqualify you from anything.  You aren't out for sure until you sign on the dotted line.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2016, 12:09:41 PM »

BE Freshman of the Year
First team All BE

+1

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2016, 12:27:57 PM »
Very bittersweet. Obviously would have loved him back at MU for another year, but he is a great player and is pursuing his dream. Good for him. I truly believe he is good enough to be drafted top 5. Go get it Henry! We will miss you.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2016, 12:37:06 PM »

BE Freshman of the Year
First team All BE

Concur.

I don't understand why people cannot appreciate how really good the guy is. He is a rare talent. I am proud he played for Marquette.

Death on call

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2016, 12:42:50 PM »

BE Freshman of the Year
First team All BE

Yep. And he's making the right decision to leave now.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2016, 01:13:28 PM »
If you're a lottery pick, the money is there--TAKE IT! Who knows about next year.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »
BTW, just talking to an agent doesn't disqualify you from anything.  You aren't out for sure until you sign on the dotted line.

I always thought the NCAA rules were unnecessarily ambiguous in that regard... sure, you can talk to anyone, but if that person happens to be an NBA players' agent and you're still in school, every bit of that conversation is going to be scrutinized heavily by the NCAA such that (my understanding is) most coaches act as - or have on their staff - an intermediary of sorts to keep student-athlete (including parents) and agent(s) at requisite distance until such time that an actual decision has made.  In other words, while talking to an agent may not disqualify that particular student-athlete, it can certainly have ramifications for his institution (depending on what is said, follow-up, etc.).  And frankly, I don't care if it's a secondary or tertiary violation, no NCAA action is good... unless you're Syracuse, North Carolina, etc.

So even if HE goes, hopefully he and his parents do everything by the book and Wojo is kept 100% in the loop.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2016, 01:46:07 PM »
I wonder if this affects Wally's decision to play hoops next season.  Could open yet another schollie that wasn't available a week ago.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2016, 01:51:05 PM »
I wonder if this affects Wally's decision to play hoops next season.  Could open yet another schollie that wasn't available a week ago.

Didn't Wally decide to come here to play basketball before Henry did? And don't you think Wally had a good idea that lil bro was gonna be gone after a year? I guess I'm not sure where "Henry leaving will make Wally leave" narrative started.

I could certainly see him wanting to pursue his track career more seriously since he is much better in that arena, but I don't think Henry leaving is what will make him do so.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2016, 01:53:40 PM »
I had been on record for a long time here that Henry was 100% gone after his freshman year. Having spoken to Henry in person, spoken to someone in the shoe industry, an off record conversation with an NBA scout, I was 100% convinced last April he was one and done. At the McDonald's events last week, the person in the shoe industry I spoke with reiterated Henry's intention of seeking the best agent/representation possible. HE is a good kid, from a good family, making the right decision.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2016, 02:01:47 PM »
I guess I'm not sure where "Henry leaving will make Wally leave" narrative started.

The barber shop- http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=48207.msg823823#msg823823

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2016, 02:21:25 PM »
The barber shop- http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=48207.msg823823#msg823823

I saw that, and I appreciate BDH84 as much as the next guy. But in his tale, he (Wally) chooses to follow brother (Henry) to the first great salon (MU). In reality, Wally chose MU first and then came Henry.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2016, 05:30:37 PM »
I saw that, and I appreciate BDH84 as much as the next guy. But in his tale, he (Wally) chooses to follow brother (Henry) to the first great salon (MU). In reality, Wally chose MU first and then came Henry.

True. But the reality is that Henry was basically ours once Wally committed

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2016, 06:41:42 PM »

BE Freshman of the Year
First team All BE

Individual awards are nice, but I am a Marqutte fan first and foremost, and the most important stat is wins. In recent history I would put D-Wade, Jackson, Diener, Novak, James, Mcneal, Matthews, Hayward, Crowder, DJO, and Blue all well ahead of Henry as Marquette players. Henry put up big numbers as a freshman, but I've never been a huge fan of guys who put up big numbers on unsuccessful teams

Having Henry for one year was nice, but the outcome was somewhat disappointing for MU as the team couldn't even make the NIT in his only year here

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2016, 07:48:26 PM »
Individual awards are nice, but I am a Marqutte fan first and foremost, and the most important stat is wins. In recent history I would put D-Wade, Jackson, Diener, Novak, James, Mcneal, Matthews, Hayward, Crowder, DJO, and Blue all well ahead of Henry as Marquette players. Henry put up big numbers as a freshman, but I've never been a huge fan of guys who put up big numbers on unsuccessful teams

Having Henry for one year was nice, but the outcome was somewhat disappointing for MU as the team couldn't even make the NIT in his only year here

Couldn't agree more. 

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2016, 07:53:12 PM »

"Well ahead" seems to be an understatement.  I'd go with "way, way, WAY ahead."
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2016, 08:04:37 PM »

Well said, it was nice knowing you and good luck, I hope the career is successful because the bonus money will run out in no time.  I really mean it, I hope the best for him he seems like a really nice kid.

The work horses you mentioned are true troopers, true warriors.

I noticed on the VaTec website that Buzz is taking credit for most of them.  It shows them in their NBA uniforms on the VaTec site, amazing and a little misleading.

Does Marquette take credit for HE and show him in his NBA uniform in our promotional material?   

feedback