[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by BobWildLoyalist
[Today at 10:36:31 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire Wojo !  (Read 137360 times)

vogue65

• All American
Re: Fire Wojo !
« Reply #225 on: February 22, 2017, 10:46:19 PM »
Living by the 3 ball is how you win in basketball nowadays.

What is the history of the 3 point line?  My recollection is that it was created to give mid-majors a chance to be competitive.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #226 on: February 23, 2017, 06:16:03 AM »
Living by the 3 ball is how you win in basketball nowadays.

Hmm...of the top 40 teams in the country in terms of getting there highest percentage of their points beyond the arc, only 3 (Michigan, Marquette, Notre Dame) are ranked in the top 40 in the country.

I looked at offensive efficiency, and those three were the only three that were top 40 in both percentage of points beyond the arc and offensive efficiency.

Living by the three may be one way to win, but it's certainly not the only nor most popular way. FWIW, there are five teams in the top 40 that have sub-300 adjusted offensive efficiency rankings.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #227 on: February 23, 2017, 06:47:47 AM »
Hmm...of the top 40 teams in the country in terms of getting there highest percentage of their points beyond the arc, only 3 (Michigan, Marquette, Notre Dame) are ranked in the top 40 in the country.

I looked at offensive efficiency, and those three were the only three that were top 40 in both percentage of points beyond the arc and offensive efficiency.

Living by the three may be one way to win, but it's certainly not the only nor most popular way. FWIW, there are five teams in the top 40 that have sub-300 adjusted offensive efficiency rankings.

Of the teams that will play in the NCAA tournament, and are not in the top 40, how many of them are 3 point shooting teams?

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #228 on: February 23, 2017, 08:01:05 AM »

I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #229 on: February 23, 2017, 09:05:29 AM »
Of the teams that will play in the NCAA tournament, and are not in the top 40, how many of them are 3 point shooting teams?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Too vague.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #230 on: February 23, 2017, 09:10:02 AM »
If you sink them, you don't need as many attempts.

It's what we do best by far, Khaleesi. Our lads should be firing up more of 'em!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #231 on: February 23, 2017, 09:20:25 AM »
I'm not sure what you are asking. Too vague.

Most teams in the NCAA are from top conferences and are highly rated.  Then we have the other teams mostly from minor conferences.
Of those teams how many made it to the tournament by being good or outstanding 3 point shooting teams.

My theory is that Wojoe went on a recruiting kick to bring in gunners who could shoot.  Considering that last year we had a lack of shooting ability compared to this year, his strategy has worked, so far. 

Your analysis that shows that only 3 teams in the top 40 are outstanding 3 point shooting teams is well taken.  Now how about the other teams, the mid-majors, or whatever we want to call them.   

My point is that the 3 point line was initiated to let those teams be competitive with one or two gunners. 

The, in-the-mean-time strategy of MU has worked.  As we put together a more balanced attack we play 3 ball.  Am I, "statistically speaking"  off the beam?

No need to make fun of my years spent in the Vogue world, it made me very vague, ha.  Thanks.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #232 on: February 23, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »
Most teams in the NCAA are from top conferences and are highly rated.  Then we have the other teams mostly from minor conferences.
Of those teams how many made it to the tournament by being good or outstanding 3 point shooting teams.

My theory is that Wojoe went on a recruiting kick to bring in gunners who could shoot.  Considering that last year we had a lack of shooting ability compared to this year, his strategy has worked, so far. 

Your analysis that shows that only 3 teams in the top 40 are outstanding 3 point shooting teams is well taken.  Now how about the other teams, the mid-majors, or whatever we want to call them.   

My point is that the 3 point line was initiated to let those teams be competitive with one or two gunners. 

The, in-the-mean-time strategy of MU has worked.  As we put together a more balanced attack we play 3 ball.  Am I, "statistically speaking"  off the beam?

No need to make fun of my years spent in the Vogue world, it made me very vague, ha.  Thanks.

This is one possibility... the other is that he saw Golden State wipe the floor with everybody in the NBA and said "Hey what if we did that in college"
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #233 on: February 23, 2017, 09:47:58 AM »
The purpose of loading your teams with three point shooters isn't just so you can get more points from shooting three, but the threat of the three opens up driving lanes and the inside game.  The problem with Marquette is that, while the shooting has been great, the inside scoring hasn't always been as effective.

Put another way, you need to have multiple, serious threats from the outside to win in college basketball (or in the NBA for that matter.)  That doesn't mean that outside shooting is the only way that these threats will help improve your scoring.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #234 on: February 23, 2017, 09:59:16 AM »
This is one possibility... the other is that he saw Golden State wipe the floor with everybody in the NBA and said "Hey what if we did that in college"

I think it's more of a carryover from Coach K. I would expect it to be a Big part of Wojo's  teams going forward. If he can recruit them.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #235 on: February 24, 2017, 07:18:27 AM »
I think it's more of a carryover from Coach K. I would expect it to be a Big part of Wojo's  teams going forward. If he can recruit them.

How true, making MU great again, we could be scary good.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #236 on: February 24, 2017, 10:41:53 PM »
I still cling to the notion that Stan can get us to the promised land faster than his boss
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #237 on: February 25, 2017, 05:07:52 AM »
How true, making MU great again, we could be scary good.

never thought of "the donald" as a basketball coach, but then again, weirder things have happened, ey ey eyn'er hey?  betcha the term "all american" will be the next term needing to be changed ::)
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #238 on: February 25, 2017, 06:11:02 AM »
What is the history of the 3 point line?  My recollection is that it was created to give mid-majors a chance to be competitive.

actually it was first developed/introduced in 1945 by abe saperstein in an NCAA game between fordam and columbia.  so i guess it lasted only one game at this level.  then the american basketball became the first league to institute it in 1961 followed by the eastern professional league in 1963-64 and later popularized by the ABA in 1967-68.  the NBA adopted it in 1979-80.  the NCAA's southern conference was the first collegiate conference to adopt it in 1980-81.  the NCAA as a whole didn't adopt it as a whole until 1986-87.  followed by high schools, junior and elementary schools

the main theory was to give the smaller player a chance to score from the outside and thus, opening up the inside to provide more scoring and to enhance the fans overall experience

i didn't see anything related to giving the "mid-majors" a chance at anything specific, but basketball as a whole. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #239 on: February 25, 2017, 05:54:38 PM »
Bump ...
Senior class leadership sucks ! Undeveloped talent or just don't care.  At least Cohen and Wilson just sucked as Bball players

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #240 on: February 25, 2017, 05:56:32 PM »
the main theory was to give the smaller player a chance to score from the outside and thus, opening up the inside to provide more scoring and to enhance the fans overall experience

I think a big part of it was to provide a way for skill to beat sheer size. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #241 on: February 25, 2017, 06:01:08 PM »
I still cling to the notion that Stan can get us to the promised land faster than his boss

Agreed!  Fire the incompetent so he can find a job for which he is suited,,, ASSistant coach!

Snowflake

• Walk-On
« Reply #242 on: February 25, 2017, 06:02:21 PM »
There are losers and winners and I think we are all tired of losing and blowing games. The blame needs to be put where it belongs. Sorry if this offends/triggers you.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #243 on: February 25, 2017, 06:05:59 PM »
And here we are again 

Lose a road big east game = fire wojo

win = you guys never post.

The criticism is not that you are not allowed to voice your opinion.  Many of us just wonder why you never seem to voice an opinion that seems to be enjoying MU hoops?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #244 on: February 25, 2017, 06:07:23 PM »
There are losers and winners and I think we are all tired of losing and blowing games. The blame needs to be put where it belongs. Sorry if this offends/triggers you.

F*ck off, one poster.
Have some patience, FFS.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #245 on: February 25, 2017, 06:09:13 PM »
And here we are again 

The criticism is not that you are not allowed to voice your opinion.  Many of us just wonder why you never seem to voice an opinion that seems to be enjoying MU hoops?

It's not so much that we lost, it's how we lost.  Play hard and lose by 8 and you say, "well that's the way it goes."  But the way we lose many of these game is just infuriating and you want to blame someone, and it feels better to get angry with the guy getting paid 7 figures rather than 17-22 year olds. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2017, 06:09:49 PM »
F*ck off, one poster.

If only our team played with this kind of fire...
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

1SE

• All American
« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2017, 06:11:08 PM »
Wojo can still meet expectations for the season, but his margin for error is now obviously smaller.

Just SSSSOOO frustrating that this could easily be a 22-6 team and we're talking about if we're going to be a protected seed or not.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:13:36 PM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Snowflake

• Walk-On
« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2017, 06:12:17 PM »
F*ck off, one poster.

Triggered. Can't handle the truth. Didn't mean to intrude on your safe space.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2017, 06:13:11 PM »
And here we are again 

maybe our expectations are higher than yours.

feedback