Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8719500 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 8/1/17
« Reply #8750 on: August 04, 2017, 12:08:34 PM »
Dat wooda bin Buck Raynor, knot Wild, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8751 on: August 04, 2017, 12:16:16 PM »
Glow - thanks for starting/monitoring this thread. It's one of the main reasons I check into Scoop.

Yep, almost as valuable and fun as the smoked meat thread. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/17
« Reply #8752 on: August 04, 2017, 12:17:14 PM »
Don't want to take this too far off topic, but I'm really hoping that Wojo sees Marquette as his Duke.  He's mentioned the similarities before, the strong basketball tradition and school support for the program.  If he can build something great here, why would he want to leave to succeed K at Duke with all the pressure to perform?

No guarantee he won't bolt at the first offer from a blue blood, but at least I like the way he's thinking, that he can aim high and truly believe he can sell these kids on his vision.

You sound more like a true Marquette alum than many actual alums on this board.

Time for scoop to start giving out honorary degrees!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8753 on: August 04, 2017, 12:35:01 PM »
Not that it's earth-shattering, but relative to Grimes from his interview with Evan Daniels:

"Marquette: Coach Wojo, he has just been at every game. He’s front line. They’ve almost been four deep at every game. They really show me that they want me to be a priority. They got Joey Hauser and I talked to him a little bit on the adidas circuit and they really loved my style of play and that I’m the type of guard to get them to a Final Four. So they told me I would be put in right away. That it would be my team from day 1 and just throw me in the fire and really try to lead them to a Final Four."

Did stress over and over in the piece how he is focusing primarily on those schools making him a priority.  The "Wojo comes to all of my games" and "they've been four deep at every game" you'd think would be enough to get us a visit and could lend credence to Evan Flood's tweet from yesterday.

Oh great, I just convinced myself this is happening

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #8754 on: August 04, 2017, 12:46:35 PM »
So I had wanted to do this a couple days ago but it slipped my mind.

I just want to thank everyone for their continuing contributions on the recruiting thread.  We began our 3rd year on August 1st and I really think it had been a treasure trove of continuing up to date information that I believe all of us appreciate.  Some of the kids mentioned on the very first page were young pups at the time and are now Warriors.  Others mentioned later on already star for our program.  Still more represent Marquette's bright basketball future.

Who knows?  Maybe one or two enjoyed seeing their name go up on the chart thinking 'Man, those people are serious!' or more likely 'Man, those Scoopers are crazy!'

Let's keep the fun going.

Glow

Your futile attempts to keep this thread on the tracks are adorable!

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8755 on: August 04, 2017, 12:47:06 PM »
Oh great, I just convinced myself this is happening

Ron Paul has not made an appearance yet. Ergo, it is not currently happening.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #8756 on: August 04, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
Not that it's earth-shattering, but relative to Grimes from his interview with Evan Daniels:

"Marquette: Coach Wojo, he has just been at every game. He’s front line. They’ve almost been four deep at every game. They really show me that they want me to be a priority. They got Joey Hauser and I talked to him a little bit on the adidas circuit and they really loved my style of play and that I’m the type of guard to get them to a Final Four. So they told me I would be put in right away. That it would be my team from day 1 and just throw me in the fire and really try to lead them to a Final Four."

Did stress over and over in the piece how he is focusing primarily on those schools making him a priority.  The "Wojo comes to all of my games" and "they've been four deep at every game" you'd think would be enough to get us a visit and could lend credence to Evan Flood's tweet from yesterday.

Thanks for sharing.  I want Grimes.  But I think the guy is going to be in for a bit of surprise if he thinks the team is his as a freshman.  I have a feeling guys like Howard, Sam, Haanif and Morrow will disagree.  The kid would certainly get plenty of run and be a key part of that 2018 team, but the "my team from day 1" talk is bit much.  That said, I know kids with this kind of talent are very confident, so I suspect comments like that shouldn't be totally unexpected.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8757 on: August 04, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »
Grimes would be put in right away?

What does that say for Howard?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8758 on: August 04, 2017, 01:07:56 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  I want Grimes.  But I think the guy is going to be in for a bit of surprise if he thinks the team is his as a freshman.  I have a feeling guys like Howard, Sam, Haanif and Morrow will disagree.  The kid would certainly get plenty of run and be a key part of that 2018 team, but the "my team from day 1" talk is bit much.  That said, I know kids with this kind of talent are very confident, so I suspect comments like that shouldn't be totally unexpected.

Sounds like this is what the coaching staff is telling him, not what he thinks about MU's situation. And if 5'10" (I guess) Andrew Rowsey and 5'10" (I guess) Markus Howard can share a successful backcourt, I think 5'10" Markus Howard and 6'4" Quentin Grimes could do the same. Grimes has an outside chance of being a one and done player. He's going to be a feature player if he comes to Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #8759 on: August 04, 2017, 01:11:40 PM »
My recollection is Al wanted out at one point and Fr. Wild would not let him out of his contract.

I think you mean Fr Raynor
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #8760 on: August 04, 2017, 01:19:57 PM »

It says Howard would play alongside Grimes as they are both interchangeable at the 1 and 2.

I wouldn't look into Grimes' comments too much. The staff is going to say what they need to say to bring him in, and saying that he is the type of guard to lead the team isn't far from the truth.

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #8761 on: August 04, 2017, 01:31:04 PM »
Let's face it we're short of guards for 2018. A backcourt of Grimes and Howard seems awesome to me. Elliott and Cheetham in the mix as well as Sacar.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8762 on: August 04, 2017, 01:52:02 PM »
Jeenathan Williams going to finish his high school career at a basketball prep school in Napa, California.  Should be a fun final season for him. The weather will be much better than Rochester NY.

https://twitter.com/ProlificPrep/status/893520031543414784

https://twitter.com/ProlificPrep/status/893511112020316160
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8763 on: August 04, 2017, 01:59:22 PM »
Wojo wants Grimes to be our Jalen Brunson. A 5 star freshman who is a borderline one and done talent. A PG who can also play the two. Started as freshman but was maybe the 4th or 5th scoring option behind some very talented upperclassmen. Despite being touted as a PG he played the two beside SR Ryan Arcidiacano. He was the last piece Villanova needed to win the national championship. The following year, he became the number two scoring option behind all world talent Josh Hart and the primary ballhandler for a team that earned a 1 seed and had legitimate national championship aspirations. Next year, he will be the star for a team that is favored to win the Big East and earn another 1 seed.

I don't know if Grimes can be for Marquette what Brunson was/is for Villanova. But I think that is the pitch. A starting 5 of:

Howard (JR)
Grimes (FR)
S Hauser (JR)
E Morrow (RJR)
Froling (JR)

with a bench of:
Cheatham (SR)
J Hauser (FR)
Heldt (SR)
Cain (SO)
Anim (RJR)
John (SO)
Elliott (SO)
Eke (SO)
Bailey (21 yo FR)
(obviously 1 player will have to leave to make room for Grimes, don't care to speculate on which one)

can absolutely make a final four and challenge for a national championship. And the scary thing? That team will only graduate two players, both of whom might be coming off the bench. If everyone stays together and stays healthy for that following year than we don't just have a chance at a final four, we are a favorite for it.

Again, I have no idea if Grimes can be that for us. And I have no idea how all of our players will develop and who will stay and who will leave. But that is the vision that Wojo is going to sell Grimes on. That he will be the final piece to a team that will challenge for the national title twice in his first two years, and that he will be the man his junior year and still be competing for national titles.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 02:02:45 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #8764 on: August 04, 2017, 02:00:00 PM »
Sounds like this is what the coaching staff is telling him, not what he thinks about MU's situation. And if 5'10" (I guess) Andrew Rowsey and 5'10" (I guess) Markus Howard can share a successful backcourt, I think 5'10" Markus Howard and 6'4" Quentin Grimes could do the same. Grimes has an outside chance of being a one and done player. He's going to be a feature player if he comes to Marquette.

No doubt.  Just came off as a little over the top, but I am sure Wojo and Stan are telling him what he wants to hear (as they should).
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8765 on: August 04, 2017, 02:05:49 PM »
Wojo wants Grimes to be our Jalen Brunson. A 5 star freshman who is a borderline one and done talent. A PG who can also play the two. Started as freshman but was maybe the 4th or 5th scoring option behind some very talented upperclassmen. Despite being touted as a PG he played the two beside SR Ryan Arcidiacano. He was the last piece Villanova needed to win the national championship. The following year, he became the number two scoring option behind all world talent Josh Hart and the primary ballhandler for a team that earned a 1 seed and had legitimate national championship aspirations. Next year, he will be the star for a team that is favored to win the Big East and earn another 1 seed.

I don't know if Grimes can be for Marquette what Brunson was/is for Villanova. But I think that is the pitch. A starting 5 of:

Howard (JR)
Grimes (FR)
S Hauser (JR)
E Morrow (RJR)
Froling (JR)

with a bench of:
Cheatham (SR)
J Hauser (FR)
Heldt (SR)
Cain (SO)
Anim (RJR)
John (SO)
Elliott (SO)
Eke (SO)
Bailey (21 yo FR)
(obviously 1 player will have to leave to make room for Grimes, don't care to speculate on which one)

can absolutely make a final four and challenge for a national championship. And the scary thing? That team will only graduate two players, both of whom might be coming off the bench. If everyone stays together and stays healthy for that following year than we don't just have a chance at a final four, we are a favorite for it.

Again, I have no idea if Grimes can be that for us. And I have no idea how all of our players will develop and who will stay and who will leave. But that is the vision that Wojo is going to sell Grimes on. That he will be the final piece to a team that will challenge for the national title twice in his first two years, and that he will be the man his junior year and still be competing for national titles.
I am in the pro Grimes camp however you are significantly undervaluing the immense talent of Jamal Cain.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8766 on: August 04, 2017, 02:09:16 PM »
I am in the pro Grimes camp however you are significantly undervaluing the immense talent of Jamal Cain.

Well according to you I am undervaluing every player. And I am talking about Wojo's pitch to Grimes not the actual rotation. Wojo is not telling Grimes you can come in and play behind a former three star recruit.
TAMU

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8767 on: August 04, 2017, 02:34:19 PM »
Well according to you I am undervaluing every player. And I am talking about Wojo's pitch to Grimes not the actual rotation. Wojo is not telling Grimes you can come in and play behind a former three star recruit.

Was t Cain a four star?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #8768 on: August 04, 2017, 02:46:30 PM »
My recollection is Al wanted out at one point and Fr. Wild would not let him out of his contract.
Yep, nor they would give him more $
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #8769 on: August 04, 2017, 02:49:32 PM »
Undoubtedly getting Herro would lead to many National Championships, but all the challenge and hence fun would be taken away knowing it was just because no one could find an answer to the "player who put Wisconsin basketball on the map".
Need Kostas to make it happen

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8770 on: August 04, 2017, 02:50:13 PM »

M2N, duh.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #8771 on: August 04, 2017, 02:57:48 PM »

I think Wojo might be following what Coach K did when Bob Hurley first steped
 on the floor for Duke.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #8772 on: August 04, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
We are in play and there is mutual interest.  Wojo has communicated a vision that is very clear and exciting.  I still think it is a long shot, but I mad the mistake of saying that as was soundly rebuked.  "Marquette does not need to be second to anyone, anyone".  That is clearly the message that he is portraying to players and parents.
What about Herro will Wojo go all in?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8773 on: August 04, 2017, 03:12:14 PM »
Dat wooda bin Buck Raynor, knot Wild, ai na?

100%. My bad.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #8774 on: August 04, 2017, 03:23:21 PM »
http://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Five-star-guard-Quentin-Grimes-discusses-his-list-of-seven-105782365

Whats the opinion on his comments?  I think Kentucky, TAMU, and Texas were on the outbound compared to the other 4. WOJO recruiting hard, though I don't think it's his team from day 1 like he said