Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8772046 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/16
« Reply #3725 on: September 14, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »
Jalen Smith is 2018.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3726 on: September 14, 2016, 01:28:53 PM »
Let's talk about this Stockard kid a little bit as Jay Bee seems to know something here.  As mentioned, possibly a Plan B recruit behind both Tillman and French.  I totally get that Wojo really wants to add another 'side of beef' and I'm not in any way disparaging the young man but there must be a calculus where Wojo moves off the additional PF option and moves toward an alternative position like a guard or wing.  I suppose I'm wondering where that line might be?  Jay Bee, what do you know about this kid?  He's new to me.

Discuss.

Attention All Marquette Fans No Matter Where You Are ,please review this video of Levi Stockard.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/6341688/57bf1a2e842eb257002210f2

This is what a dominating athlete looks like. Please sign this kid as soon as possible. Obviously Xavier figure it out.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 8/15/16
« Reply #3727 on: September 14, 2016, 01:29:10 PM »
You and wades are correct. From here on, I will do my part to ignore the clueless troll.
Amen to all of this. I mean does the guy NOT understand that Buzz left a mushroom cloud when he blew up the
program upon his departure?? As many have said, it is easier to build up an NCAA basketball
program  than a football program. Sheer numbers explain this..get eight solid players and you are on your way. The flip side of this is obvious. Buzz left the program reeling, and to be fair, some of this was not his own doing...the Pilarz/Larry Williams  dynamic handcuffed him from his recruiting m.o. Wojo is doing a super job of recruiting, and it's just a matter of time before we are successful again. Do me a favor, guru, and go and buy the just-released ATHLON College Hoops magazine. They list the last five years of each program's postseason success. I was shocked at how many top programs couldn't capitalize on big NCAA success in previous years. And many of these programs didn't have coaching Hiroshimas as we did. For an example of one that did, look at Missouri and how far they've fallen. It's where you're headed, not where your at.  Marquette will be just fine.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3728 on: September 14, 2016, 01:34:55 PM »
Attention All Marquette Fans No Matter Where You Are ,please review this video of Levi Stockard.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/6341688/57bf1a2e842eb257002210f2

This is what a dominating athlete looks like. Please sign this kid as soon as possible. Obviously Xavier figure it out.

You implore MU to immediately sign virtually every kid we are in on.  There are a finite number of scholarships available.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3729 on: September 14, 2016, 01:38:09 PM »
You implore MU to immediately sign virtually every kid we are in on.  There are a finite number of scholarships available.
No time like the present. Recruiting is competitive.  When you get a kid to the table you like close the deal.

This Stockard kid is pure muscle. We want with him with us not against us. Lets get him on campus soon for an official.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3730 on: September 14, 2016, 01:46:08 PM »
No time like the present. Recruiting is competitive.  When you get a kid to the table you like close the deal.

This Stockard kid is pure muscle. We want with him with us not against us. Lets get him on campus soon for an official.

How's his family?  What do his parents do?  Will they be happy with his college decision?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #3731 on: September 14, 2016, 01:56:19 PM »

But is he a pogo stick?

How's his family?  What do his parents do?  Will they be happy with his college decision?

Well played.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3732 on: September 14, 2016, 02:18:39 PM »
Amen to all of this. I mean does the guy NOT understand that Buzz left a mushroom cloud when he blew up the
program upon his departure?? As many have said, it is easier to build up an NCAA basketball
program  than a football program. Sheer numbers explain this..get eight solid players and you are on your way. The flip side of this is obvious. Buzz left the program reeling, and to be fair, some of this was not his own doing...the Pilarz/Larry Williams  dynamic handcuffed him from his recruiting m.o. Wojo is doing a super job of recruiting, and it's just a matter of time before we are successful again. Do me a favor, guru, and go and buy the just-released ATHLON College Hoops magazine. They list the last five years of each program's postseason success. I was shocked at how many top programs couldn't capitalize on big NCAA success in previous years. And many of these programs didn't have coaching Hiroshimas as we did. For an example of one that did, look at Missouri and how far they've fallen. It's where you're headed, not where your at.  Marquette will be just fine.

Again...look at what Wisconsin has done. Other than being gifted with relatively easy B10 schedules every year..how have they kept it going with no drop off? It's not like they are pulling in All Americans either. It sickens me to no end to see the success they are having(sadly no end in sight) and looking at where MU is with a MUCH richer BB tradition. Want a better example? Xavier. They keep it going..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3733 on: September 14, 2016, 02:23:52 PM »

Again...look at what Wisconsin has done. Other than being gifted with relatively easy B10 schedules every year..how have they kept it going with no drop off?

Who lost more games last year, MU or uw-madison?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3734 on: September 14, 2016, 02:27:23 PM »

Again...look at what Wisconsin has done. Other than being gifted with relatively easy B10 schedules every year..how have they kept it going with no drop off? It's not like they are pulling in All Americans either. It sickens me to no end to see the success they are having(sadly no end in sight) and looking at where MU is with a MUCH richer BB tradition. Want a better example? Xavier. They keep it going..

Marquette had lack luster recruiting in 2011 and 2012.  Then all but one recruit from 2014 left when Buzz did.  Hmmm, why on Earth did Marquette struggle the last 3 years?

Clearly Wojo did not recruit well enough for Marquette while he was at Duke.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3735 on: September 14, 2016, 02:28:40 PM »

At least he is consistent.

Wisconsin 13 losses = awesome!
Marquette 13 losses = horrible!

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3736 on: September 14, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »

UW had a Hall of Fame coach. He also had a ton of experience and knew what types of player fit his system and how to get them to work together. They were on their way to missing the tournament, but that was mainly due to Bo's issues. They had talent and a motivated coach the second half of the year.

I think Buzz had a tough time evaluating high school talent or developing it. Early on he had JUCO's who helped cover his recruiting misses and were very good players/leaders. He didn't get those guys towards the end and due to transfers and a poorly constructed roster, he left a disaster.

Up until this stretch, we had one of the longer NCAA tournament streaks. Nova had a rough patch and have recovered. If Wojo can grow as a game coach, I think we will be back soon, possibly this year.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #3737 on: September 14, 2016, 02:44:38 PM »
With John in the fold, one down 3 to go. Also,  Wished for Tillman, French and Cain. I hope Wojo
proves me wrong, as I said, he can't recruit, need more. I want to wear my Wojo Warrior t-shirt.
Don't care how many schollies we have left. How are we on Epperson and did we ever go after
Jalen Smith of Baltimore? Lots of Questions. Give me a lowdown.

Every coach can recruit at certain levels, even Mike Deane, how did that work? Last 2 years, good not great, like I said in the past, no power forward on the team right
now.  John is a great get, need a big that can start right now, is he Maurice Lucas?  No.  Ike is raw that is even from Travis.  Look the Badgers got 5 recruits last year,
no one stands out, 3 played OK last year, and 2 red-shirted.  If MU signs 2 more, hopefully they have the same results.  Nwora and Cain, hope they are as good as
Earl Tatum!  Tillman or French, as good as Charlie Thomas.  Need big bodies in the Big East.  But looks like all 4 kids will stay at MU for 4 years, those are the kids MU
needs!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #3738 on: September 14, 2016, 02:46:17 PM »
UW had a Hall of Fame coach. He also had a ton of experience and knew what types of player fit his system and how to get them to work together. They were on their way to missing the tournament, but that was mainly due to Bo's issues. They had talent and a motivated coach the second half of the year.

I think Buzz had a tough time evaluating high school talent or developing it. Early on he had JUCO's who helped cover his recruiting misses and were very good players/leaders. He didn't get those guys towards the end and due to transfers and a poorly constructed roster, he left a disaster.

Up until this stretch, we had one of the longer NCAA tournament streaks. Nova had a rough patch and have recovered. If Wojo can grow as a game coach, I think we will be back soon, possibly this year.

Well said.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3739 on: September 14, 2016, 02:55:25 PM »

The trouble with this analysis is that Buzz took over a disaster at Virginia Tech and two years later he is projected to make the NCAA tournament.
Year 1 Wojo and Buzz equally bad
Year 2 Wojo no bid and Buzz NIT
Year 3 ? & ?, but Virginia Tech is projected to be better than MU
There is no reason to believe that if Buzz were still here that MU would not of made the tournament this year.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #3740 on: September 14, 2016, 02:55:35 PM »
Clearly Wojo did not recruit well enough for Marquette while he was at Duke.

This made me chuckle.
Foresight is 20/20... or something. Who knows with this guy.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #3741 on: September 14, 2016, 02:58:20 PM »

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #3742 on: September 14, 2016, 02:59:57 PM »
Brendan McCoy out of San Diego, crystal ball has him going to MSU, this might make a difference to Tillman, McCoy is a 6'10" power forward.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3743 on: September 14, 2016, 03:01:05 PM »
The trouble with this analysis is that Buzz took over a disaster at Virginia Tech and two years later he is projected to make the NCAA tournament.
There is no reason to believe that if Buzz were still here that MU would not of made the tournament this year.

Buzz is a really good coach.    He has an AD and president who aren't handcuffing him.   None of this is a surprise.   And it is water under the bridge.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3744 on: September 14, 2016, 03:03:47 PM »

Virginia Tech may have been better than Marquette last year.  (19-14 with RPI of 90 versus 20-13 with an RPI of 110 is hardly definitive.)

And Virginia Tech will likely be better this year.  They have brought in some Jucos and had some transfers out.  Plus I expect Buzz is simply a better coach at this point.  He's had more experience.

But that doesn't mean Wojo isn't making progress.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #3745 on: September 14, 2016, 03:08:08 PM »
The team make-up is totally different this year, Wojo will need to coach, lots of interchangeable parts and will have pretty good players. Talent sounds to be there,
with experience in the college game.  Hope the players buy into what ever the system is.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3746 on: September 14, 2016, 03:15:18 PM »

Who made the tourney, and went to the sweet 16 and who didn't?? The tourney is all that matters. I could care less how many losses UW had..last year was supposed to be the year they missed the tourney, and it was looking good on that front..and then...well..I don't even like thinking about it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3747 on: September 14, 2016, 03:27:56 PM »
Who made the tourney, and went to the sweet 16 and who didn't?? The tourney is all that matters. I could care less how many losses UW had..last year was supposed to be the year they missed the tourney, and it was looking good on that front..and then...well..I don't even like thinking about it.

It must be exhausting wheeling those goals posts around frantically every time your nonsense gets called.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #3748 on: September 14, 2016, 03:38:12 PM »
So, have we decided whether Wojo can recruit or do we need to wait 4 years?  Personally, I am a bit bummed that we don't have the Scout top 10 from 2016 starting on our team this year.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #3749 on: September 14, 2016, 03:38:40 PM »