Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8339728 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Recruiting as of 2/15
« Reply #725 on: March 08, 2016, 05:25:48 PM »
Hodge did switch back to Baylor FWIW

Not much honestly. As I said before, Hodge picks everyone to Baylor and only changes when it become undeniable that they are going somewhere else. So if Hodge switched, he was sure Howard was going to Marquette but then switched back because something gave him some smidgen of hope for Baylor. He's a Baylor guy, its his job to give the fan base what they want.

And while I don't share the same level of disdain for the crystal ball as our resident Gopher Warrior, crystal ball predictions aren't much good for anything other than determining a general idea of who the top suitors for a certain player are. They aren't a good predictor until about 1 hour before a recruit's commitment.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #726 on: March 08, 2016, 06:07:06 PM »
Not much honestly. As I said before, Hodge picks everyone to Baylor and only changes when it become undeniable that they are going somewhere else. So if Hodge switched, he was sure Howard was going to Marquette but then switched back because something gave him some smidgen of hope for Baylor. He's a Baylor guy, its his job to give the fan base what they want.

And while I don't share the same level of disdain for the crystal ball as our resident Gopher Warrior, crystal ball predictions aren't much good for anything other than determining a general idea of who the top suitors for a certain player are. They aren't a good predictor until about 1 hour before a recruit's commitment.

Exactly. If Mark Miller or Jerry Meyer switch to Baylor then that's probably not a good sign. Hodge switching doesn't mean much.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #727 on: March 08, 2016, 06:57:26 PM »
TAMU,

Did Ashley give any reason why the sudden switch back? I trust your opinion, so I'm in the boat of not trusting Hodge

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #728 on: March 08, 2016, 07:01:45 PM »
TAMU,

Did Ashley give any reason why the sudden switch back? I trust your opinion, so I'm in the boat of not trusting Hodge

All he said was he received a text and that he may need to switch back soon.

Earlier he mentioned that he couldn't get a hold of Howard. He might of just panicked and thought Howard was dodging his calls. Sounds very high school when you put it like that haha
TAMU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #729 on: March 08, 2016, 07:19:30 PM »
All he said was he received a text and that he may need to switch back soon.

Earlier he mentioned that he couldn't get a hold of Howard. He might of just panicked and thought Howard was dodging his calls. Sounds very high school when you put it like that haha

Welcome to the cristal bowel, where votes of teenagers count.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #730 on: March 09, 2016, 12:51:13 AM »
Hodge posted a post visit interview with Howard's father.

http://baylor.247sports.com/Article/Notes-On-Highly-Regarded-Point-Guard-Markus-Howard--44152589

Sorry, its behind a paywall. General gist, Mr. Howard gave very vanilla answers about the visit. Mentioned that they were concerned about Baylor being football first. Went on to mention that they liked how Marquette was in a strong basketball only conference. Says ASU, Baylor, Central Arkansas, and Marquette are all in contention though he spent the most time talking about Marquette and Baylor. Didn't have any comments about Arizona State. Will make a decision after Markus is approved to reclassify. Says he's a 4.0 student so that shouldn't be a problem.

I really feel good about our chances  8-)
TAMU

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #731 on: March 09, 2016, 01:27:38 AM »
Hodge posted a post visit interview with Howard's father.

http://baylor.247sports.com/Article/Notes-On-Highly-Regarded-Point-Guard-Markus-Howard--44152589

Sorry, its behind a paywall. General gist, Mr. Howard gave very vanilla answers about the visit. Mentioned that they were concerned about Baylor being football first. Went on to mention that they liked how Marquette was in a strong basketball only conference. Says ASU, Baylor, Central Arkansas, and Marquette are all in contention though he spent the most time talking about Marquette and Baylor. Didn't have any comments about Arizona State. Will make a decision after Markus is approved to reclassify. Says he's a 4.0 student so that shouldn't be a problem.

I really feel good about our chances  8-)

Markus and his father seem like great people.  Wherever he goes (and I home it is MU), he'll undoubtedly have a long and successful career, both in Basketball and beyond.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #732 on: March 11, 2016, 07:55:09 AM »
Herro with another 40 point outing in a sectional semifinal win.  40 of his team's 70 points.

5th 40 point game of the season as a sophomore in high school.  Would not complain at all about having him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #733 on: March 11, 2016, 08:11:19 AM »
Back on the Markus thing for a moment.  So if he were to commit, do the experts here think he'd be an immediate contributor?  Asked another way, is it fair to think of him as a Frosh Haani or Vander able to be an immediate All-Frosh BEast type guy?  And if that's the case should we really anticipate a 4-1 line-up next year with JjJ manning the mini #4?  He has shown a willingness and ability to rebound from the #3.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #734 on: March 11, 2016, 08:14:42 AM »
Back on the Markus thing for a moment.  So if he were to commit, do the experts here think he'd be an immediate contributor?  Asked another way, is it fair to think of him as a Frosh Haani or Vander able to be an immediate All-Frosh BEast type guy?  And if that's the case should we really anticipate a 4-1 line-up next year with JjJ manning the mini #4?  He has shown a willingness and ability to rebound from the #3.

Yes, Markus would contribute immediately.  The lineup would depend on what Wojo can get with the last scholarship, but we would most likely see a lot of 4 guard lineups.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #735 on: March 11, 2016, 08:37:27 AM »

Howard would definitely be an immediate contributor. I don't think he would start at the point. He's better overall than Traci but my impression is that Traci is a better distributor and floor general at the moment. But as Wojo has said multiple times, he doesn't limit himself to playing one point at a time. Howard would be in our top 6 minute getters. And yes, I think we see a lot of four guard lineups with JJJ, Sandy, Wally, Sacar, Cheatham, and Hauser all seeing time at the four. A very high octane offense that can shot from all over the floor and drive to the lane at will. Should be able to draw lots of fouls too. On defense, going to require high pressure and guards with the ability to deny the entry pass. Our offense will need to be potent enough to make opponents pay for leaving slow bigs on the floor because we will pretty weak in terms of post defense. Sandy might be the key to next season. He's a good defender and can guard players bigger than he is. If he can find his offensive role, then I'm not worried about next season.

All of this is moot of course if Wojo finds an immediate impact PF from either the grad transfer, juco, or freshman ranks....or HE decides to stay another year.
TAMU

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #736 on: March 11, 2016, 09:47:48 AM »
I have to completely disagree--JJJ is a baaaaddddd rebounder. In fairness to him, he is being asked to rebound as if he were more of a 4 and he is not. Every game he did not box out on the weakside and his man either got the rebound or was fouled via a push in the back after he got inside JJJ. I love JJJ, but his rebounding is brutal.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #737 on: March 11, 2016, 10:06:03 AM »
I am far from an expert, but Markus would give us a guy that has to be guarded all over the court on Offense. But, I think there would be an adjustment to BE level ball especially finishing inside and on floaters.  He will be able to get to the hoop, but it may take a while for him to figure out how to finish at that point or dish out. 

Defense, I'm not sure at all.  He is smaller, of course, and that would be a concern. 

As TAMU mentioned, next year will be higher octane offense and defense, in my opinion out of necessity.  Unless HE returns, then we can slow it down and try to get it inside more.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #738 on: March 11, 2016, 02:26:33 PM »
I have to completely disagree--JJJ is a baaaaddddd rebounder. In fairness to him, he is being asked to rebound as if he were more of a 4 and he is not. Every game he did not box out on the weakside and his man either got the rebound or was fouled via a push in the back after he got inside JJJ. I love JJJ, but his rebounding is brutal.

Statistically you're wrong.  He's 3rd best on the team per 40 minutes play of our top 7 rotation.  I excluded Wally but admit that he is a far superior rebounder than JjJ.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #739 on: March 11, 2016, 03:52:45 PM »
Is there a stat for a defender (JJJ) turning around and watching an opponents shot miss and the guy you shouldve boxed out gets the rebound and scores? If there is.....JJJ is the best.

When Luke boxes his guy out for 4 seconds so JJJ can grab the ball--jj gets the rebound stat right?
I see Jj get burned on his rebounding EVERY single game.
I love JJJs game--very solid.....except for his rebounding which is brutal--whether stats bear that out or not.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #740 on: March 11, 2016, 04:03:26 PM »
Is there a stat for a defender (JJJ) turning around and watching an opponents shot miss and the guy you shouldve boxed out gets the rebound and scores? If there is.....JJJ is the best.

When Luke boxes his guy out for 4 seconds so JJJ can grab the ball--jj gets the rebound stat right?
I see Jj get burned on his rebounding EVERY single game.
I love JJJs game--very solid.....except for his rebounding which is brutal--whether stats bear that out or not.

Let's talk about Markus Howard rebounding. Or maybe ANY recruit that isn't currently signed by Marquette. Which would also serve the purpose of keeping this thread on track.

Maybe create a superbar topic about who knows more about rebounding based on their middle school/high school success?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brandx

« Reply #741 on: March 11, 2016, 04:36:48 PM »

I said in another thread that I think we are doomed if our forwards are JJJ, Cohen, Sacar, and Hauser. We are not a good enough shooting team to do that although the additions may be better shooters than what we have.

You have to be able to play defense and we will stop no one with Cohen and JJJ at PF.

brandx

« Reply #742 on: March 11, 2016, 04:39:59 PM »
Statistically you're wrong.  He's 3rd best on the team per 40 minutes play of our top 7 rotation.  I excluded Wally but admit that he is a far superior rebounder than JjJ.

That's more of an indictment of the other guys - not a feather in JJJ's hat - even though he has gotten better.

But with all these guards people are ignoring the big question. Can we get more than 20 - 22 minutes a game from Fischer?

We need to bring in a PF.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #743 on: March 11, 2016, 04:47:00 PM »
JjJ is a 6'5" wing with an 11.2% DR%. Is that "bad"? It certainly isn't good.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #744 on: March 12, 2016, 08:15:29 AM »
Let's talk about Markus Howard rebounding. Or maybe ANY recruit that isn't currently signed by Marquette. Which would also serve the purpose of keeping this thread on track.

Maybe create a superbar topic about who knows more about rebounding based on their middle school/high school success?

You're right.  Let's get/stay on track.  Somebody can start a thread on rebounding if they want.  Thanks.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #745 on: March 12, 2016, 08:43:48 AM »
Missed this a couple weeks ago, but Jerry Meyer crystal balled Jordan Bowden to Tennessee after they offered

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #746 on: March 12, 2016, 08:44:31 AM »
Missed this a couple weeks ago, but Jerry Meyer crystal balled Jordan Bowden to Tennessee after they offered

Oh that cristal bowel! Such great analysis and insight it provides!

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #747 on: March 12, 2016, 08:47:40 AM »

I wouldn't have mentioned it if it wasn't Jerry Meyer who is the most plugged in recruiting analyst out of that state.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #748 on: March 12, 2016, 08:55:32 AM »

+11
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #749 on: March 12, 2016, 09:45:29 AM »

We get that you hate them.  You don't have to post it every time.  Geesh.