'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336998 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 2/15
« Reply #575 on: February 28, 2016, 09:24:09 PM »
Traci is unsure what to do.  He can get in the paint but does not have a shot like Cohen or Cheatham, hard to watch 3 players who have no idea how to shot a jump
shot.  I expect big things from Rowsey next year and might need it from Sam as well.

Cheatham doesn't have a shot?  Am I reading that right?  Cheatham is a very good shooter.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #576 on: February 28, 2016, 09:29:35 PM »
Sooooo... you're saying he's a freshman? Carter is criminally underrated by some here.  He just dished out 10 assists against the #1 team in the country that's stacked with experienced guards. The offense also gets very stagnant when he's on the bench for extended periods of time.

He already has the mentality and passing skill to run a high major offense in my opinion. Those two things are what I look for first in a PG. His shooting mechanics are solid and can improve over time. After an offseason of work and maturation for Carter it would take a very talented and polished PG to come in and take the role from him as a freshman. Perhaps Howard is that guy, but it seems odd to be talking about it like he would obviously come in and start immediately at the 1.

Until he proves he can score on a consistent basis, we will only be an average point guard.  You can look at 50 years of points at MU, and the teams that were winners
had good if not great point guards.   Dean, Walton, Worthen, Rivers, Mandy Johnson, Diener, James, could all score, in college you need a point that can score.  Carter did it for one game, had 5 threes, they won that game.   Yes, he is playing better, but like Derrick last year, they play off him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #577 on: February 28, 2016, 09:36:07 PM »
Sooooo... you're saying he's a freshman? Carter is criminally underrated by some here.  He just dished out 10 assists against the #1 team in the country that's stacked with experienced guards. The offense also gets very stagnant when he's on the bench for extended periods of time.

He already has the mentality and passing skill to run a high major offense in my opinion. Those two things are what I look for first in a PG. His shooting mechanics are solid and can improve over time. After an offseason of work and maturation for Carter it would take a very talented and polished PG to come in and take the role from him as a freshman. Perhaps Howard is that guy, but it seems odd to be talking about it like he would obviously come in and start immediately at the 1.

"Criminally underrated??"

Please.  He is a freshman that has played well at times and terrible at times.  All I have said is that the position is far from settled.  I can't say for certain that he is the best option.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #578 on: February 28, 2016, 09:51:33 PM »
Wojo has said consistently that he doesn't believe in a point guard. He wants multiple guards on the floor who can handle the ball. There will be room for everybody.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #579 on: February 28, 2016, 09:57:19 PM »
Cheatham doesn't have a shot?  Am I reading that right?  Cheatham is a very good shooter pump-faker.
Fixed.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #580 on: February 28, 2016, 10:03:17 PM »

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #581 on: February 28, 2016, 10:46:20 PM »
49/43/80. Yeah, he can't shoot.

Let me restate my position on all 3 players.  None of them has a jump shot in the paint, that is none of them.  Cheatham has a nice touch from 3, free throws and lay-ups
but no mid range game, Cohen right now has no game and Carter has shown good form but does not have a mid-range game either.  That is shooting with a man in your
face from 10 feet, the game Butch Lee had or DWade, at MU he could not hit a shot from distance.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #582 on: February 28, 2016, 11:23:52 PM »
Let me restate my position on all 3 players.  None of them has a jump shot in the paint, that is none of them.  Cheatham has a nice touch from 3, free throws and lay-ups
but no mid range game

This is a far cry from your earlier claim about Cheatham, an assertion that pretty much stripped you of any credibility.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #583 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:47 AM »
Maybe Cheatnam has a mid range jump shot that he does not use. He is wired to take it to the basket and passes up too many threes.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #584 on: February 29, 2016, 07:33:25 AM »
but no mid range game, Cohen right now has no game and Carter has shown good form but does not have a mid-range game either.  That is shooting with a man in your
face from 10 feet, the game Butch Lee had or DWade, at MU he could not hit a shot from distance.

Oh, you mean the national POY and an NBA first ballot HOF.   ::)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #585 on: February 29, 2016, 08:10:45 AM »
Until he proves he can score on a consistent basis, we will only be an average point guard.  You can look at 50 years of points at MU, and the teams that were winners
had good if not great point guards.   Dean, Walton, Worthen, Rivers, Mandy Johnson, Diener, James, could all score, in college you need a point that can score.  Carter did it for one game, had 5 threes, they won that game.   Yes, he is playing better, but like Derrick last year, they play off him.

You somehow failed to include in your list of MU great point guards the guy with 320+ MORE assists than the guy who is #2 all-time in assists at MU and who happened to have the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th most single season assists all time.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #586 on: February 29, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »
Okay, to get back on track I'd like you guys that follow this very closely to refresh this.  Hicks still out there?  Should I finally take Kostas off?  Anything else especially for this year?  Thanks.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #587 on: February 29, 2016, 09:28:13 AM »
I am finally bullish on Marquette's PG future.  Say what you will, but Traci is a gamer.  Obviously sped up sometimes and makes his fair share of mistakes.  But he's fearless taking the ball to the rack and is able to finish against opposing bigs better than we give him credit for - on Saturday alone he took it right at Ochefu a number of times and was successful.  And more than held his own against some of the best guards in the Big East.  Throw in a nice shot/good form, that at this point is mainly streaky, and I haven't been this optimistic about an MU PG since Dom James.

OR

Howard commits and we immediately have the best PG we've had since Dom James.  The dude is legit.  He'd come in right away and be the starter, IMO.  But as has been stated here time and time again, Wojo doesn't rely on one traditional PG.  Rowsey will handle the ball next year, Traci will handle the ball next year, Haanif still will but not nearly as often, cause he's at his best off-ball.  But Howard would be the closest thing to the guy if he committed, and there is a lot of optimism building from what I've heard.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #588 on: February 29, 2016, 09:39:49 AM »
A recruit like Howard would proof that Wojo knows how to recruit assistant coaches as this would mean that Stan Johnson was a great hire as Wojo was not on either
Bailey or Howard.  Like to see the other coaches bring in some players as well in the future.  Stan looks like a great hire!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #589 on: February 29, 2016, 10:17:17 AM »
A recruit like Howard would proof that Wojo knows how to recruit assistant coaches as this would mean that Stan Johnson was a great hire as Wojo was not on either
Bailey or Howard.  Like to see the other coaches bring in some players as well in the future.  Stan looks like a great hire!

Couldn't agree more and said same to chick over the weekend.

MuWarrior19

• Walk-On
« Reply #590 on: February 29, 2016, 10:29:49 AM »
Saw Markus Howard spend all day at the Al yesterday with his family. I'll take that as a good sign

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #591 on: February 29, 2016, 10:36:10 AM »
Solid look, young man.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #592 on: February 29, 2016, 02:51:31 PM »
If Howard signs with us, we will be in a decent position point guard wise. Traci will have a year under his belt ,he has decent fundamentals across the board which should improve as he becomes a sophomore.

Rowsey has proven himself over two years scoring 1,000 points at the D1 level and has had a year to practice with the team develop good chemistry and respect .

Howard will be a talented freshman who will have the time to grow without the pressure of being the guy day 1.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #593 on: February 29, 2016, 02:55:24 PM »
If Howard signs with us, we will be in a decent position point guard wise. Traci will have a year under his belt ,he has decent fundamentals across the board which should improve as he becomes a sophomore.

Rowsey has proven himself over two years scoring 1,000 points at the D1 level and has had a year to practice with the team develop good chemistry and respect .

Howard will be a talented freshman who will have the time to grow without the pressure of being the guy day 1.

I think we'd be in great position. We'd have three capable players that could run the point.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #594 on: February 29, 2016, 03:21:12 PM »
Remember that Wojo likes all his guards to have multiple skill sets.  So Rowsey could be spotting up at the wing as Traci penetrates and dishes, for example.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #595 on: February 29, 2016, 04:36:41 PM »
Are there any updates on 6-8 235 Cincinnati Xavier Seton Hall bruiser types. We  really need to be like Michigan State and start stock piling those kind of guys. Especially in the post Ellenson environment.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #596 on: February 29, 2016, 05:34:51 PM »
I think we'd be in great position. We'd have three capable players that could run the point.
Are both Rowsey and Howard combo guards vs. pure point guards?

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #597 on: February 29, 2016, 05:45:45 PM »
Mark Miller
‏@WisBBYearbook
Stevens Point senior Sam Hauser (6-6) is averaging 18.5 ppg and 9.0 rpg despite playing all season with shin splints.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #598 on: February 29, 2016, 05:54:35 PM »
Are both Rowsey and Howard combo guards vs. pure point guards?

They are both point guards who can shoot.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #599 on: March 01, 2016, 11:57:57 PM »

"Criminally underrated??"

Please.  He is a freshman that has played well at times and terrible at times.  All I have said is that the position is far from settled.  I can't say for certain that he is the best option.

Yo. Respek. Ain't nobody takin' the rock from T. Carter til he grauates.