'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336980 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Recruiting as of 2/1
« Reply #475 on: February 17, 2016, 06:54:25 PM »
Solid line against a decent-sized public school. "On Saturday in a 75-62 victory over Racine Case, he made 12 of 14 shots and scored a career-high 26 points while grabbing 11 rebounds and dishing out six assists. The assist total equaled the season-high he set Tuesday against Martin Luther, and his double-digit effort on the glass was two off the season-high he set four days earlier."

Wish we had a schollie to burn. I have a feeling he will be a glue guy on offense and a monster defender as a junior and senior. 6'11" guy who can move and most likely fill out like his brother will be a useful player. It is just whether or not you(/Kostas) are ok with him riding the bench for two years to develop some more.

thanks for the info-regarding your last sentence-if he were to come here, we better be able to offer him something real special as he may say, i an go to another team and get to use my first two years to develop as opposed to sitting.  then i'll be that "glue guy and monster defender as a junior and senior" 

ok, now everyone can cue in the jokes about the" louisville sluggers" for the "WOW" factor to get him to ride the pines for the first 2 years
don't...don't don't don't don't

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #476 on: February 17, 2016, 07:17:49 PM »
Wojo & an assistant are watching Kalif Young & a new name (to me) that allegedly has also been offered...Euguene Omoruyi (6'6, F) 2016.

Interesting

Edit -- MU now has allegedly 5 offers out right now:

Bowden 6'5
Young 6'9
Howard 5'10
Fernando 6'10
Omoruyi 6'6
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 10:32:40 PM by WarriorPride68 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #477 on: February 18, 2016, 12:54:12 AM »
Wojo & an assistant are watching Kalif Young & a new name (to me) that allegedly has also been offered...Euguene Omoruyi (6'6, F) 2016.

Interesting

Young and Omoruyi are teammates. USC seems to be the only other high major on Omoruyi right now. He's currently 220 and has the kind of frame that you could hang more muscle on. Definitely an interesting offer.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #478 on: February 18, 2016, 02:17:03 AM »
I like this description.

He's this era's Artie Green. If he improves, he could maybe become this era's Oliver Lee.
Oliver Lee and Artie Green were not the most savory characters. So in that regard I don't think Deonte is comparable. Deonte is a good quality earnest kid.

In terms of basketball ability I think your quite accurate.

I think if Al was coaching Green and Lee instead of Hank things may have been different for them.  The 80-81 season was a big disappointment relative to the talent we had on the team that year.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #479 on: February 18, 2016, 08:02:53 AM »
Young and Omoruyi are teammates. USC seems to be the only other high major on Omoruyi right now. He's currently 220 and has the kind of frame that you could hang more muscle on. Definitely an interesting offer.

Omoruyi write up from last month. Switchable 3-4 (sorry). I like what I am reading.

http://www.canadianballers.com/news_article/show/601496?referrer_id=1603877

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #480 on: February 18, 2016, 08:14:17 AM »
Omoruyi write up from last month. Switchable 3-4 (sorry). I like what I am reading.

http://www.canadianballers.com/news_article/show/601496?referrer_id=1603877

Thanks for posting. Seems like he has a high motor and as in above average defender. Reading the article it sounded like he had a similar style of play to Jimmy Butler in college. Defends well 1-5, high motor, game is mostly inside the arc but his outside shot is still there.
TAMU

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #481 on: February 18, 2016, 08:40:40 AM »

Interesting

Edit -- MU now has allegedly 5 offers out right now:

Bowden 6'5
Young 6'9
Howard 5'10
Fernando 6'10
Omoruyi 6'6

Offering is great, is there any interest on these kids besides Howard, coming to visit?   It is obvious even if Henry is back which I doubt, there is playing time and lots
of it for any of these kids?  Curious why MU has visited Bailey like twice in the last few weeks, must be some interest of coming next year I would think, otherwise visiting a signed recruit during recruiting season seems like a waste of time, we would be a nice addition right away.  But he is not a 4 either.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #482 on: February 18, 2016, 08:45:51 AM »
Curious why MU has visited Bailey like twice in the last few weeks, must be some interest of coming next year I would think, otherwise visiting a signed recruit during recruiting season seems like a waste of time, we would be a nice addition right away.

They've gone to watch Sam a bunch as well. Granted, that's facetime with the fam and Joey, but still.

Omoruyi is interesting to me. Game reminds me a bit of Marial Shayok, who Wojo tried hard to keep after Buzz left.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #483 on: February 18, 2016, 08:48:39 AM »
Offering is great, is there any interest on these kids besides Howard, coming to visit?   It is obvious even if Henry is back which I doubt, there is playing time and lots
of it for any of these kids?  Curious why MU has visited Bailey like twice in the last few weeks, must be some interest of coming next year I would think, otherwise visiting a signed recruit during recruiting season seems like a waste of time, we would be a nice addition right away.  But he is not a 4 either.

All coaches visit their signed kids. Builds relationships, strengthens commitments, and helps when you want to recruit another kid off that team in the future
TAMU

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #484 on: February 18, 2016, 09:00:59 AM »
All coaches visit their signed kids. Builds relationships, strengthens commitments, and helps when you want to recruit another kid off that team in the future

I understand that, building relationships are great, if there is another player on his team that can help that is even better, is there one?  Otherwise, lets face it, the
next 2 recruits are critical for next year.  To small to be a factor in the Big East right now.  We are not Villanova with the guards we have right not, even MU guards
are thin and small.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #485 on: February 18, 2016, 09:10:17 AM »
Make no mistake that Wojo wants certain recruits who can help next year and wants to win next year.  However, unlike what we are used to, it was made very clear that he is much more selective in who he recruits and has a longer term vision for building a program and will not sell out to win next year.  Under Wojo the days of pulling multiple players each year at the last minute are gone... the key will be fewer transfers to make his system work.

I know I've said this multiple times, so I won't say it again.  But that is what Wojo has made clear from the beginning... he doesn't at this point reload each year.  Maybe some day he  will have us in a position to pick up a top one and done type recruit each year or so.... having HE go high in he draft sure won't hurt him with future recruits of that caliber.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #486 on: February 18, 2016, 09:26:46 AM »
Make no mistake that Wojo wants certain recruits who can help next year and wants to win next year.  However, unlike what we are used to, it was made very clear that he is much more selective in who he recruits and has a longer term vision for building a program and will not sell out to win next year.  Under Wojo the days of pulling multiple players each year at the last minute are gone... the key will be fewer transfers to make his system work.

This all sounds great except I believe the key for Wojo will be winning within the next 2 years - otherwise his strategy will be a paper tiger.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #487 on: February 18, 2016, 09:39:26 AM »
Oliver Lee and Artie Green were not the most savory characters. So in that regard I don't think Deonte is comparable. Deonte is a good quality earnest kid.

In terms of basketball ability I think your quite accurate.

I think if Al was coaching Green and Lee instead of Hank things may have been different for them.  The 80-81 season was a big disappointment relative to the talent we had on the team that year.

I agree about all of this. My Green/Lee comparisons re Burton were strictly basketball related.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #488 on: February 18, 2016, 09:41:50 AM »

Agree. Doesn't hurt that Nevada is close to Utah. Seems like Stan was making the "see bailey, make a stop in NV" right when the MH cancelling his IUBB visit happened.

I feel like the handwringing right now is a little nuts. Everyone needs to Respect The Process.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #489 on: February 18, 2016, 09:56:48 AM »
Lots of action out there for two spots...
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #490 on: February 18, 2016, 10:02:37 AM »
thanks for the info-regarding your last sentence-if he were to come here, we better be able to offer him something real special as he may say, i an go to another team and get to use my first two years to develop as opposed to sitting.  then i'll be that "glue guy and monster defender as a junior and senior" 

ok, now everyone can cue in the jokes about the" louisville sluggers" for the "WOW" factor to get him to ride the pines for the first 2 years

Yeah, I don't think it will work out. But he is a project as a D-1 prospect and not a ton of schools offered. He would probably sit a lot at SJU or ISU his first two years. I know this is cliche, but he is real close to his family and I could see him wanting to stay in the same city as Giannis. The only reason I say this is because the family actually did move to live close to each other and Giannis attends a ton of his games at Dominican as it is. The timing of available scholarships and other teams eventually offering him more will shut down this dream but I could see a scenario where MU would be a good fit for him long-term.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #491 on: February 18, 2016, 10:06:27 AM »

I know I've said this multiple times, so I won't say it again.  But that is what Wojo has made clear from the beginning... he doesn't at this point reload each year.  Maybe some day he  will have us in a position to pick up a top one and done type recruit each year or so.... having HE go high in he draft sure won't hurt him with future recruits of that caliber.

If he won't sell out to win "next year" why would he ever recruit a one and done? Or a grad transfer (also by definition a one and done)? Recruiting a guy you'll only have for one year is the ULTIMATE win now strategy. Two of the three "one and dones" in MU history (Lockett, Carlino and Ellenson) have come in Wojo's first two seasons and he also went hard after two others (Shonn Miller and Damion Lee) and missed. I'm not knocking the "win now" philosophy of the one and done - in fact I applaud it - but please, please stop with this fiction that Wojo is playing for next year or five years from now or ten years from now. Like any coach worth his salt he's playing for now - and if a one year rental is better than some 4 year guy already on his roster he'll go after him.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #492 on: February 18, 2016, 10:11:00 AM »
If he won't sell out to win "next year" why would he ever recruit a one and done? Or a grad transfer (also by definition a one and done)? Recruiting a guy you'll only have for one year is the ULTIMATE win now strategy. Two of the three "one and dones" in MU history (Lockett, Carlino and Ellenson) have come in Wojo's first two seasons and he also went hard after two others (Shonn Miller and Damion Lee) and missed. I'm not knocking the "win now" philosophy of the one and done - in fact I applaud it - but please, please stop with this fiction that Wojo is playing for next year or five years from now or ten years from now. Like any coach worth his salt he's playing for now - and if a one year rental is better than some 4 year guy already on his roster he'll go after him.

The right player to take is somebody that can help him win, right now he is working hard to get 2 more kids, but if he is unsuccessful next year will be no different
than this year, good team, tournament team, no.  Your Power forwards are JJJ and Sandy, ouch.

jsglow

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 2/15
« Reply #493 on: February 18, 2016, 10:39:59 AM »
Okay, I've again updated the chart guys.  Seems very busy out there.  Here's what I think we know.  We've technically got one available scholly at the moment with every indication that Bailey is heading off on his 2 year mission.  Certainly I'd anticipate that if Marcus Howard reclassified and signed Wojo would take him in the blink of an eye.  That's a pretty easy one even before Hank tells Wojo anything.

Second, it seems clear that Wojo is pursuing a big body to replace Henry if and when he makes his jump to the NBA.  I'd guess the pecking order is Fernando, Young and Hicks.

Third, Bowden and/or Omoruyi.  Wings.  Seems a bit odd so I'll go with 'never stop recruiting'.  I'm not going to speculate about any departures besides Henry.  But I do believe Wojo has a good enough relationship with everyone that fully supportive 'conversations' are possible here in February.  And I remain absolutely convinced (no evidence, mind you) that Henry will do everything he can to support Wojo during this process.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:50:52 AM by jsglow »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #494 on: February 18, 2016, 10:47:25 AM »
Second, it seems clear that Wojo is pursuing a big body to replace Henry if and when he makes his jump to the NBA.  I'd guess the pecking order is Fernando, Hicks and Young.

Not sure what the interest level is with Hicks at this point. Fernando and Young seem to be the main PF targets.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #495 on: February 18, 2016, 10:49:47 AM »
Frank Haith & Tulsa offered Jordan Bowden

GOO

• All American
« Reply #496 on: February 18, 2016, 10:55:43 AM »

As I stated, of course he wants to win now. But the players he will look at are much more limited than our prior coach.  It isn't all about scrambling for next year without considering a lot of other factors... the player has to fit into the bigger picture of student athlete, etc.  He will not sacrifice the longer term, student athlete component to win now... that is all.  He will take and wants grad transfers and one and done's if the players fit into his parameters.. but gone are the days of taking a ball player first with no longer term view to how it affect the program/school.  The admin and him are on the same page. E.G.  Is HE going to class this spring?  Would a prior coach have cared if a one and done continued to go to class?

He has 2 years to put his product on the floor, in my opinion and is on track wth his time frame.  Again, the key will be to not have mass transfers to have his plan work.  Bringing in guys who develop as the core, but of course trying to bring in one and done types and grad transfers as needed, but with the above considerations.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #497 on: February 18, 2016, 10:56:33 AM »
Perhaps you guys 'in the know' might help.  I've speculated that Howard is the ONLY guy Wojo would take an immediate NLI from and that the other's might be asked to wait a little.  I have no idea if that is true so if somebody could provide some color on the rest, even if only idle speculation, that would be great.  In theory our season could extend well into March for the NIT or even later if Vegas becomes a possibility and I'd be surprised if any departure announcements would be publicly disclosed until the final, final horn sounded.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #498 on: February 18, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
Yeah, I don't think it will work out. But he is a project as a D-1 prospect and not a ton of schools offered. He would probably sit a lot at SJU or ISU his first two years. I know this is cliche, but he is real close to his family and I could see him wanting to stay in the same city as Giannis. The only reason I say this is because the family actually did move to live close to each other and Giannis attends a ton of his games at Dominican as it is. The timing of available scholarships and other teams eventually offering him more will shut down this dream but I could see a scenario where MU would be a good fit for him long-term.

that(above) being said, do you think jeter/UWM may go after him?  the horizon league gaining respect but would be a drop off in both education and exposure should he develop into a "next level" baller
don't...don't don't don't don't

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #499 on: February 18, 2016, 07:16:27 PM »
Perhaps you guys 'in the know' might help.  I've speculated that Howard is the ONLY guy Wojo would take an immediate NLI from and that the other's might be asked to wait a little.  I have no idea if that is true so if somebody could provide some color on the rest, even if only idle speculation, that would be great.  In theory our season could extend well into March for the NIT or even later if Vegas becomes a possibility and I'd be surprised if any departure announcements would be publicly disclosed until the final, final horn sounded.

Nobody can sign an LOI until April.

feedback